Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Dejuan Butler
Cal Football

Butler Opts to Stay Local With Commitment to Cal

June 27, 2019

The Bears stayed hot on the commitment trail with today’s commitment from 5-11/170 Antioch High School cornerback Dejuan Butler this morning.

The relationship had been building since at least last season, with Butler attending his first game in Memorial.

“Cal has been in my family so long,” said Butler. “My auntie went to Cal and that played a big part in my decision. It’s also pretty close to home and that’s big so my family can come and watch me, too.”

What else was it about Cal that made the Bears the right choice for Butler?

“Just everything,” said Butler. “The academics, the Life After Ball program, everything. 

“They did a really good job about giving me information about what they do as a team, what they look for in the mentality of the player and how they prepare  you mentally and physically.”

The speedy Butler (10.8 100, 22.12 200) announced his commitment on Twitter this morning, saying:

“I am grateful for the opportunity to play this game. I want to thank all the schools and coaching staffs that have been active in recruiting me and believing in me.

“I want to thank my parents and everyone who has believed in and supported me during my years of playing this game.

“I would like to announce that I will be attending the University of California Berkeley. Happy birthday, Dad. #GoBears

Butler has been a high target for the Bears at DB and has visited campus on several occasions, building his relationship with the Cal staff, players and recruits. He noted the relationships he’s developed with frosh receiver Makai Polk, running back Marcel Dancy and fellow Cal recruit Trey Paster as particularly strong.

Butler’s relationship with the Cal staff was another thing that attracted him to the Bears, particularly DB coach Gerald Alexander.

“My relationship with Coach Alexander is great,” said Butler. “Really close. Really tight.

“He’s a real coach. He doesn’t lie to you or sugarcoat anything. He’s always going to be straight with you.”

As a junior, Butler had 48 tackles, one interception, one tackle for loss and nine passes defended for the Panthers. He also averaged 11.1 yards per carry on 11 carries as a soph on offense.

Butler became the 13th commitment of the class, joining Corona Centennial DB Isaiah Young on the defensive side of the ball along with Portland LB Andy Alfieri, Hawaii LB Mo Iosefa and St. Louis-Honolulu DT Stanley McKenzie on the defensive side of the ball.

An excellent student with a 3.8 gpa, the Bears beat out UCLA and Boise State among others for Butler’s services.

Discussion from...

Butler Opts to Stay Local With Commitment to Cal

10,108 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by burritos
Sebastabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Terrific addition. Welcome!
FloriDreaming
Nice!
Goobear
Welcome Dejuan! Go Bears!
Fyght4Cal
Local kid makes good! Welcome DeJuan!
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
GivemTheAxe
Fyght4Cal said:

Local kid makes good! Welcome DeJuan!

Looks like DeJuan maybe one of the faster players on the team. His reported time in the 100m compares favorably to that of other Cal players reflected in the "Speed Kills" thread
NVBear78
Great news, great choice, welcome to the Cal family!
NYCGOBEARS
Great decision to stay home and rep the Bay all damn day.
burritos
https://247sports.com/Article/CB-Dejuan-Butler-shines-at-The-Opening-set-for-first-official-132003805/

Apologies if this link is faux pas, but it has interesting details not seen in stars:

Quote:

Antioch (Calif.) cornerback Dejuan Butler (6-0, 185), was one of the standouts at The Opening Oakland regional over the weekend, earning Top Defensive Performers honors from 247Sports.
Butler is a bit of a quiet, unassuming guy when he plays. But one particular receiver, a highly ranked one in fact, wouldn't shut up and kept challenging Butler. Butler answered the challenge each and every time, with three consecutive reps and three consecutive breakups.
We hadn't seen Butler since last spring at The Opening Bay when he was a sophomore- he doesn't play 7v7, but he was excellent on Saturday, showing his quickness and physicality at the line, ability to avoid biting on double moves, quick hands and ball skills.
While there are no 'offers' from super schools, they are or were looking at him.

Quote:

"Notre Dame is coming by on Monday because they want to see me workout," said Butler. "Coach (Brian) Polian is coming because he just wants to see me move around."
More schools have been by in recent weeks.
"Recently, Washington, Nebraska and Arizona State came by," said Butler. "Coach (Jimmy) Lake from Washington came in and he said we'll talk more. Coach (Tony) Tuioti from Nebraska came by and we had a relationship from when he was at Cal. And Arizona State has been in with Coach (Jamar) Cain but I've also talked with Coach (Tony) White a lot there."
75bear
Damn, we're racking up the commitments recently - seems like a good sign.

Welcome to the Bear Family!
burritos
https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

I know moving target, but per this poll to date, we're 35. Furd 34.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=Pac-12

Number 3 in the pac so far.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.