Story Poster

More Than A Football Game

July 11, 2019

From pregame concerts to bobbleheads, fans attending Cal football games at Memorial Stadium this fall will be treated to a host of activities, promotions and giveaways to help make gamedays in Berkeley more enjoyable for the entire Cal family.

"We want our football gamedays to be more than just about football," said Joe Mulford, Cal's Senior Associate Athletic Director and Chief Revenue Officer. "They are opportunities to celebrate Berkeley, our University and the entire Bay Area community.  From the time fans step on campus until they leave, we want them to have a great time, and we feel we have put together a plan that will appeal to everyone from our longtime ticket holders to fans coming to Memorial Stadium for the first time."

After a successful first season of offering live bands before all games, the free, pregame Tailgate Town concert series returns to Maxwell Family Field. Popular Tom Petty cover band Petty Theft will kick off the year for the opener against UC Davis on Aug. 31, with other acts to be announced closer to the start of the season.

Among the giveaways for the fall are an Oski bobblehead presented by Sutter Health for the homecoming game vs. Oregon State on Oct. 19 and a Jared Goff bobblehead for the home finale vs. USC on Nov. 16. For both contests, the first 10,000 fans will receive the gift. 

Halftime of the Sept. 14 North Texas game will feature the largest t-shirt toss ever in the Bay Area, with 10,000 shirts being thrown into the crowd.

The Washington State game on Nov. 9 will be Pride Day at Memorial Stadium. Fans will be able to purchase a special ticket that includes a Cal Pride t-shirt. Other events surrounding the day, which are being coordinated through a partnership with the campus Gender Equity Resource Center, will be announced once they are finalized.

Cal students will also see a return of pregame gifts with the first 1,000 students through gate 8 receiving a free item for every game.

Tickets for the six-game 2019 Cal football season go on sale Monday, July 15th through CalBears.com/tickets or by calling (800) GO BEARS (462-3277) and pressing option 3.

2019 Cal Football Promotion Schedule

Aug. 31 vs. UC Davis

• Pregame kick-off concert at Tailgate Town: Petty Theft

Sept. 14 vs. North Texas

• Bay Area's Largest T-shirt Toss 
  • Pregame concert at Tailgate Town: TBA

Sept. 27 vs. Arizona State (Friday)

• East Bay Day (includes ticket and East Bay t-shirt)

Oct. 19 vs. Oregon State - Homecoming

Nov. 9 vs. Washington State

• Pride Day (includes ticket and Cal Pride t-shirt)

Nov. 16 vs. USC

• Joe Roth Memorial Game
  • Jared Goff bobblehead – first 10,000 fans
Discussion from...

More Than A Football Game

9,235 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bear19
Blueblood
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Let's just hope that the Oregon game isn't "Jock Sniffing Day!

...or...

...the UDub game isn't "Pooperscooper Giveaway Day!"

Yogi011
I'm particularly looking forward to the November 9 promotion vs Washington State
GivemTheAxe
BearNakedLadies said:

I'm particularly looking forward to the November 9 promotion vs Washington State

I am happy about the new ideas to promote attendance at Cal FB games.
My only gripe (until I come up with another) is that (I don't want to start another flame war) the marketing dept should realize that when referring to athletics and athletic events it is OK (and to many of us, preferable) to use the name "Cal" instead of "Berkeley".
I was disappointed in the absence of the use of "Cal" in the announcement replaced by "Berkeley "
Personally I have no problem using "Berkeley" when referring to Cal academics.
But for athletics it should always be "Cal" athletics, Cal Football. Cal Basketball etc
Not Berkeley Football or Berkeley
Basketball.
After all there is a script Cal on the FB helmets. And a script Cal on the BB
uniforms
Can anyone imagine s script "Berkeley" without laughing
bluehenbear
Econ141
I love the game day experience now with the cover bands pregame and the beer garden. Makes the whole day even more fun!
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
MSaviolives
Blueblood said:

Let's just hope that the Oregon game isn't "Jock Sniffing Day!

...or...

...the UDub game isn't "Pooperscooper Giveaway Day!"

I'm in favor of getting a pooper scooper. We are getting a puppy in a couple of weeks and could use one. Even better if it had a Cal logo!
Bear19
Bear19
"We want our football gamedays to be more than just about football," said Joe Mulford, Cal's Senior Associate Athletic Director and Chief Revenue Officer.

Sounds like the result of a brainstorming session where the topic was: "How can we increase attendance, since there are not enough Cal fans, alums or students coming to football games."

I like Cal bobbleheads, t-shirts and concerts as much as the next guy. However, none of that is going to induce me to go to a Cal football game.

What will? Glad you asked!

(1) Some way to park close enough to the stadium so I don't have to hire Sherpa Guides to lead expeditions to CMS from my car & back again.

(2) 1:30 PM Saturday kick-offs.

(3) Winning 8-9 games minimum every year.

(4) Enable students to come to games at no cost.

(5) Stop the blaring noise constantly bombarding us, and have the Cal Band provide the music.

All these topics have been discussed ad nauseum in depth here in BI. TV money, Berkeley City Council, Baldwin, empty student section, age discrimination against elderly mike men, millennials don't like actual college bands & won't take off their headphones, yada, yada, yada.

But, I go to Cal football games to see Cal winning football. Throw in the Cal Band, allow me to get my kids to bed before 2:00 AM the next day, vicariously relive my college days as the jammed student section throws stunt-cards all over the place, Cal football players commandeer golf carts as the Band plays after crushing the other team, and there you have it.
Bear19
GivemTheAxe said:

I was disappointed in the absence of the use of "Cal" in the announcement replaced by "Berkeley "

After all there is a script Cal on the FB helmets. And a script Cal on the BB uniforms.

I suspect Mulford is not a Cal grad. Don't know that for a fact, but most grads from all the other inferior schools usually refer to Cal athletic teams as "Berkeley."
Blueblood
Bear19 said:

"We want our football gamedays to be more than just about football," said Joe Mulford, Cal's Senior Associate Athletic Director and Chief Revenue Officer.

Sounds like the result of a brainstorming session where the topic was: "How can we increase attendance, since there are not enough Cal fans, alums or students coming to football games."

I like Cal bobbleheads, t-shirts and concerts as much as the next guy. However, none of that is going to induce me to go to a Cal football game.

What will? Glad you asked!

(1) Some way to park close enough to the stadium so I don't have to hire Sherpa Guides to lead expeditions to CMS from my car & back again.

(2) 1:30 PM Saturday kick-offs.

(3) Winning 8-9 games minimum every year.

(4) Enable students to come to games at no cost.

(5) Stop the blaring noise constantly bombarding us, and have the Cal Band provide the music.

All these topics have been discussed ad nauseum in depth here in BI. TV money, Berkeley City Council, Baldwin, empty student section, age discrimination against elderly mike men, millennials don't like actual college bands & won't take off their headphones, yada, yada, yada.

But, I go to Cal football games to see Cal winning football. Throw in the Cal Band, allow me to get my kids to bed before 2:00 AM the next day, vicariously relive my college days as the jammed student section throws stunt-cards all over the place, Cal football players commandeer golf carts as the Band plays after crushing the other team, and there you have it.
I wholeheartedly agree with you, Bear19, you express my thoughts exactly!
BearDown2o15
GivemTheAxe said:

BearNakedLadies said:

I am happy about the new ideas to promote attendance at Cal FB games.
My only gripe (until I come up with another) is that (I don't want to start another flame war) the marketing dept should realize that when referring to athletics and athletic events it is OK (and to many of us, preferable) to use the name "Cal" instead of "Berkeley".
Personally I have no problem using "Berkeley" when referring to Cal academics.
But for athletics it should always be "Cal" athletics, Cal Football. Cal Basketball etc
Not Berkeley Football or Berkeley
Basketball.
After all there is a script Cal on the FB helmets. And a script Cal on the BB
uniforms
Can anyone imagine s script "Berkeley" without laughing

I am not really understanding why people are flaming the article over the use of Berkeley.

I mean the city is called Berkeley and in the context it was used it makes sense to use Berkeley:

"They are opportunities to celebrate Berkeley, our University and the entire Bay Area community"

Would you have preferred him to say celebrate the City, our University, and the entire Bay Area Community?
BearDown2o15
Bear19 said:

GivemTheAxe said:

After all there is a script Cal on the FB helmets. And a script Cal on the BB uniforms.

I suspect Mulford is not a Cal grad. Don't know that for a fact, but most grads from all the other inferior schools usually refer to Cal athletic teams as "Berkeley."

He is not a Cal grad, but most grads from "all other inferior schools" who follow athletics do not refer to Cal athletics as Berkeley, they refer to Cal as Cal.
It's actually Cal grads, who don't follow athletics, who refer to Cal as Berkeley
CJ Loves Cal
BearDown2o15 said:

I am not really understanding why people are flaming the article over the use of Berkeley.

I mean the city is called Berkeley and in the context it was used it makes sense to use Berkeley:

"They are opportunities to celebrate Berkeley, our University and the entire Bay Area community"

Would you have preferred him to say celebrate the City, our University, and the entire Bay Area Community?

Yes- I took it as referring to the city, and saying Cal game days should be not just about Cal but about the city too. College football is driven by community pride in the teams and their universities - something we haven't had in most of our lifetimes. Trying to rebuild that long absent foundation is a good thing, I'd say.
Bear19
What is there about the City of Berkeley that Cal people should be celebrating?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.