Modster eligibility in question

12,749 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by OdontoBear66
MoragaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Cal's known all along and has been working with the NCAA since the transfer. Absolutely ridiculous that they haven't made a determination by halfway through camp.
71Bear
MoragaBear said:

Cal's known all along and has been working with the NCAA since the transfer. Absolutely ridiculous that they haven't made a determination by halfway through camp.
Not really. We have this before many times. Given the history of how Cal has handled issues in the past, nothing surprises me....
Rushinbear
Big C said:

OdontoBear66 said:

So, whatever the NCAA decision as to when Modster plays don't they at least owe our coaching staff that date ASAP? I mean one has to do some planning and granting of reps according to what may be. This has been about 4-5 days of posts with no date that I have seen.
The only possibilities I can imagine are...

a) The staff knows but would prefer not to discuss it publicly. Or, more likely...

b) Maybe there is a "gray area" about determining the date when a player "leaves" their original school. For example, maybe Modster thought just not ever attending Fall classes at FUCLA would be good enough, but there might be some official "withdrawl" he needed to declare earlier.

Seems like the answer to this would be clearer, though, and quicker to ascertain.
I smell Chipper in this.
TheSouseFamily
While we wait for the update on Modster, let's check in real quick with the poster child for bogus immediate eligibility waivers, Tate Martell. Now at the 4th school he's committed to, he loses the battle for QB1 and has now stopped going to practice. If the guy wasn't a complete d-bag, I'd have some sympathy but he is, so I don't.

NYCGOBEARS
TheSouseFamily said:

While we wait for the update on Modster, let's check in real quick with the poster child for bogus immediate eligibility waivers, Tate Martell. Now at the 4th school he's committed to, he loses the battle for QB1 and has now stopped going to practice. If the guy wasn't a complete d-bag, I'd have some sympathy but he is, so I don't.

He's turning out to be exactly what many of us thought he might be.
TheSouseFamily
Definitely a NOKG.
PtownBear1
Maybe we'll see him next on Last Chance U Laney College
71Bear
NYCGOBEARS said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Jeff George redux...
ColoradoBear
71Bear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Jeff George redux...

I dunno, Jeff George was the #1 pick in the draft and played 13 seasons in the NFL (quite unspectacularly though). Tate Martell has been beaten out twice for starting QB - seems like a completely different trajectory.

Still wonder what kind of bogus stuff got him a waiver to play immediately.
71Bear
ColoradoBear said:

71Bear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

TheSouseFamily said:

IWhile we wait for the update on Modster, let's check in real quick with the poster child for bogus immediate eligibility waivers, Tate Martell. Now at the 4th school he's committed to, he loses the battle for QB1 and has now stopped going to practice. If the guy wasn't a complete d-bag, I'd have some sympathy but he is, so I don't.

Jeff George redux...

I dunno, Jeff George was the #1 pick in the draft and played 13 seasons in the NFL (quite unspectacularly though). Tate Martell has been beaten out twice for starting QB - seems like a completely different trajectory.

George was once referred to as having a million dollar arm and a ten cent brain. While I don't know about the value of his arm, it does appear that Martell's brain is worth roughly the same as George's.
ColoradoBear
71Bear said:

ColoradoBear said:

71Bear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

TheSouseFamily said:

IWhile we wait for the update on Modster, let's check in real quick with the poster child for bogus immediate eligibility waivers, Tate Martell. Now at the 4th school he's committed to, he loses the battle for QB1 and has now stopped going to practice. If the guy wasn't a complete d-bag, I'd have some sympathy but he is, so I don't.

Jeff George redux...

George was once referred to as having a million dollar arm and a ten cent brain. While I don't know about the value of his arm, it does appear that Martell's brain is worth roughly the same as George's.

Can't argue with that. Ha.

I was mostly trying to point out that George being a Prima Donna and going to a school where he was guaranteed a starting job worked out for him. Set a 'great' example for others to follow.
oskidunker
So who is the back up qb at this time? jack Neuman????
Go Bears!
71Bear
oskidunker said:

Modster announced that he would be transferring to Palomar JC on Sept 21st. This action occurred before fall quarter classes began at UCLA. However, he was on the Bruin roster for the first three games, playing in none of them. I anticipate that he will be cleared to play effective August 31st because NCAA has been much more player-friendly in their decision process over the last year or so.

The unknown element that could gum up the works is Cal's poor historical record of preparing the necessary documentation and presenting that material to the decision-makers.

We shall see.....
BearSD
oskidunker said:

From Jeff Faraudo's article linked near the top of this thread:

Quote:

In the meantime, Wilcox said walk-ons Robby Rowell, formerly of Acalanes High School in Lafayette, and Jack Newman, a transfer from City College of San Francisco and native of Sebastopol, continue to compete for the No. 3 spot. If Modster cannot play against Davis, either Rowell or Newman could be Garbers' backup for that game.
bonsallbear
Goooooo .........JACK
Fyght4Cal
Modster will be cleared to play immediately. I have faith in our 7-star Sturdy Golden Bear, who's watching from the sky.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
UrsaMajor
71Bear said:

ColoradoBear said:

71Bear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Jeff George redux...

I remember when George was with the Raiduhs, he kept referring to his groin injury as his grow-un.
BearlyClad
71Bear said:

oskidunker said:

Modster ..... I anticipate that he will be cleared to play effective August 31st because NCAA has been much more player-friendly in their decision process over the last year or so.

"The unknown element that could gum up the works is Cal's poor historical record of preparing the necessary documentation and presenting that material to the decision-makers."

This is concerning and makes one have to wonder about whether this indicates a predominant "player focus", or something else.

Really hope that poor record isn't right, but suspect it really is. If still true, needs to change. NOW.
BearlyClad
MoragaBear said:

Garbers came into camp the starter because he outplayed Modster in the spring. Of Modster outplayed him in fall camp, he'd have every chance to play or start.
Hmmm....
calumnus
BearlyClad said:

MoragaBear said:

Garbers came into camp the starter because he outplayed Modster in the spring. Of Modster outplayed him in fall camp, he'd have every chance to play or start.
Hmmm....

I have little doubt that Modster will get some time at QB, and I am one of Garber's biggest supporters on this board.
FloriDreaming
MoragaBear said:

GBear4Life said:

Is Modster expected to start if eligible?
No, he came into fall camp as the backup
For reference, Brandon McIlwain came into fall camp as the backup behind Ross Bowers.

Bowers sat out all by 1/2 game in 2018 and is now at NIU

McIlwain shared snaps with Chase Garbers from then on before also being benched and is now focusing on baseball.

The #3 QB in 2018 fall camp is now battling with a UCLA/JC transfer for starter. A transfer whose eligibility is still in question.

Well played, Mr. Baldwin. Well played.

I'd say the eligibility status of the #2 QB is just as important (if not more) than that of the starting QB under Baldwin.

I actually miss the days of stubborn coaches sticking with their starting QB. The alternative is a steaming hot mess.
MoragaBear
Staff
Sticking with Bowers was not an option.
Bear19
Uthaithani said:

Uth, getting your "Fire Baldwin" campaign into gear. A little late since Fall Camp is over. Now you're in danger that Garbers actually improves, as indications are that he has improved, a lot. What then?
GivemTheAxe
Uthaithani said:

MoragaBear said:

GBear4Life said:

Is Modster expected to start if eligible?
No, he came into fall camp as the backup
For reference, Brandon McIlwain came into fall camp as the backup behind Ross Bowers.

Bowers sat out all by 1/2 game in 2018 and is now at NIU

McIlwain shared snaps with Chase Garbers from then on before also being benched and is now focusing on baseball.

The #3 QB in 2018 fall camp is now battling with a UCLA/JC transfer for starter. A transfer whose eligibility is still in question.

I'd say the eligibility status of the #2 QB is just as important (if not more) than that of the starting QB under Baldwin.

I actually miss the days of stubborn coaches sticking with their starting QB. The alternative is a steaming hot mess.

The grass is always greener...

I remember the days when a certain Cal coach one season stubbornly refused to play the back up QBs when the starting QB kept throwing INTs and another season refused to replace a starting QB who was obviously hurt.
That coach caused a major meltdown on this board.
upsetof86
Levy vs Ayoob and Longshore vs Riley. Finished 8-4 with Ayoob in 2005 prolly Levy wins us another game 25th in AP. And 9-4 in 2008 maybe another game 21st in AP. Ah the good ole days to be ranked.
calbear80
MoragaBear said:

MB, can you please explain why? This has been a mystery to most of us for almost a year. Thank.

Go Bears!
MoragaBear
Staff
The main reason hasn't been an mystery -the broken finger.
UrsineMaximus
calbear80 said:

MoragaBear said:

MB, can you please explain why? This has been a mystery to most of us for almost a year. Thank.

Go Bears!
I'd like to piggy back on this if I may. Can you also provide some comment on why Cal did not offer Garbers' younger brother (4* recently committed to Udub)?
MoragaBear
Staff
I don't have any backstory on that
calbear80
MoragaBear said:

Thanks MB. Please forgive yet another uninformed question.

Did he break his finger in the first game? Throwing hand? Was it so bad that he could not play even almost four months later during the bowl game (where our other QBs throw a million INTs)?

Go Bears!
MoragaBear
Staff
He broke it sometime during mid camp. He had left the team long before the bowl game.
BearGoggles
UrsineMaximus said:

calbear80 said:

MoragaBear said:

Go Bears!
I'd like to piggy back on this if I may. Can you also provide some comment on why Cal did not offer Garbers' younger brother (4* recently committed to Udub)?
To get an offer, interest has to be mutual. High School players want to play ASAP in college.

How likely was it that the younger Garbers wanted to come to Cal to compete against his brother for playing time? This is a pretty unique situation where the brothers play the same position and there is only one qb. I have no special knowledge, but it is not at all surprising to me that Ethan Garbers looked elsewhere.
79 Bear
What's the story on Brasch these days?
BearSD
MoragaBear said:

The mystery is why the coaches pretended Bowers was just benched, until about week 5 or whenever it was that a sportswriter first reported his thumb was in a cast.

Goobear
BearSD said:

MoragaBear said:

The mystery is why the coaches pretended Bowers was just benched, until about week 5 or whenever it was that a sportswriter first reported his thumb was in a cast.

Guys get over it. Bowers is gone. Why not move on? Don't understand the constant wondering. Last season was last season. Bowers is gone. So move on like he did.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.