What should we expect from Wilcox in his third year?

7,631 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Big C
UCBerkGrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If recent history is an indicator, JW should see continued improvement just like his two predecessors.

Tedford

Prior Year: 10th
Year 1: 6th
Year 2: 4th
Year 3: 2nd

Dykes

Prior Year: 10th
Year 1: 12th
Year 2: 9th
Year 3: 7th

Wilcox

Prior Year: 7th
Year 1: 11th
Year 2: 7th
Year 3: ?

Blueblood
If Cal can knock off both Wazzu and stanfurd (assuming also my predicted victories over ASU, ucla, and Oregon State), Cal could come in at 5th overall or 3rd in the North division.

Wow!
Bear8
Without sticking my neck out too far, I'll point out overall this is a veteran team. It is a team predominantly of juniors and seniors. Historically, teams like this do well. Phil Steele usually picks veteran teams as conference winners or at least bowl participants. They just know how to win. Expect a better record.
Big C
Expectations:
Second consecutive winning season.
An offense that doesn't look pathetic or incompetent.

Hopes:
Bring back the Axe.
Eight wins to get potential fans and recruits to sit up and take notice.
wifeisafurd
Bear8 said:

Without sticking my neck out too far, I'll point out overall this is a veteran team. It is a team predominantly of juniors and seniors. Historically, teams like this do well. Phil Steele usually picks veteran teams as conference winners or at least bowl participants. They just know how to win. Expect a better record.
I'm going to clarify that and say this is an experienced team on defense. Offense you have a starting line of one soph and 4 juniors, so far okay. Assuming Duncan is healthy the other WRs are a soph and probably guys who have not played much at the college level. I'm assuming the starting TE also is redshirt frosh. There is QB and the RBs were inexperience is somewhat apparent. So a lot of this season rides on generally inexperienced offensive skill players stepping-up, which is a lot to ask. I'm thinking better, but inconsistent play from the offense and another stellar defense. I have 6 or 7 wins given the schedule, which puts Cal in the mid level of the conference, and would be happy to be wrong. Also given the number of sophomores and juniors who are starting this year, and the more favorable schedule, next year may be the year Wilcox moves the program to the upper echelon.
FuzzyWuzzy
wifeisafurd said:

Bear8 said:

I'm going to clarify that and say this is an experienced team on defense. Offense you have a starting line of one soph and 4 juniors, so far okay. Assuming Duncan is healthy the other WRs are a sohn and probably guys who have not played much at the college level. I'm assuming the starring TE also is redshirt frosh. There is QB and the RBs were inexperience is somewhat apparent. So a lot of riding for this season rides on generally inexperienced offensive skill players stepping-up, which is a lot to ask. I thinking better, but inconsistent play form the offense and another stellar defense. I have 6 or 7 wins given the schedule, which puts Cal in the mid level of the conference, and would be happy to be wrong. Also given the number of sophomores and juniors who are starting this year, and the more favorable schedule, next year may be the year Wilcox moves the program to the upper echelon.
Hard to argue with this. We need to get a little bit lucky at pretty much every offensive position group.
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

Bear8 said:

I'm going to clarify that and say this is an experienced team on defense. Offense you have a starting line of one soph and 4 juniors, so far okay. Assuming Duncan is healthy the other WRs are a sohn and probably guys who have not played much at the college level. I'm assuming the starring TE also is redshirt frosh. There is QB and the RBs were inexperience is somewhat apparent. So a lot of riding for this season rides on generally inexperienced offensive skill players stepping-up, which is a lot to ask. I thinking better, but inconsistent play form the offense and another stellar defense. I have 6 or 7 wins given the schedule, which puts Cal in the mid level of the conference, and would be happy to be wrong. Also given the number of sophomores and juniors who are starting this year, and the more favorable schedule, next year may be the year Wilcox moves the program to the upper echelon.
As Hunter Pence once said.....

Yes, yes, yes!
calumnus
FuzzyWuzzy said:

wifeisafurd said:

Bear8 said:

Hard to argue with this. We need to get a little bit lucky at pretty much every offensive position group.

I think the most important factor for the season and long term will be how well the players we have are utilized, how much our strategy and playcaliung make sense. Players come and go, you will always have to be dealing with Inexperienced players, what I want to see is good offensive coaching of those players. I want to see our coaches put our players in the best possible situation to succeed.
joe amos yaks
4th . . . or gimme' a fifth.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
GivemTheAxe
joe amos yaks said:

4th . . . or gimme' a fifth.

A fifth of what?
okaydo
I'm expecting a win over Ole Miss. That's all. Everything else is gravy.

If we go 1-11 and that 1 win is against the Rebels, I'll be happy as a clam.
TheSouseFamily
okaydo said:

Au contraire. Actually, if there's one win we'll associate with gravy, it'll be Ole Miss. if you don't ya some biscuits and gravy when you're down there, you're missing out.

GET IN MY BELLY!

GBear4Life
I know this isn't adding much, but I have no idea.

Cal will again play a lot of close games that will be in the balance late due to their ball-control, defensive oriented team.

I don't think there is much variance between 4-7 wins.
calumnus
GBear4Life said:

I know this isn't adding much, but I have no idea.

Cal will again play a lot of close games that will be in the balance late due to their ball-control, defensive oriented team.

I don't think there is much variance between 4-7 wins.

You slipped: Cal...their?
Cal Strong!
Wilcox must beat stanfurd. 1-11 with strong win vs. stanfurd mean Wilcox can stay. 6-5 with loss vs. stanfurd mean time to fire coach and look for strong replacement.

Losing to stanfurd three years in a row WEAK!!! If Wilcox loses to furd again, he soft as baby poop.
joe amos yaks
TheSouseFamily said:

okaydo said:

Au contraire. Actually, if there's one win we'll associate with gravy, it'll be Ole Miss. if you don't ya some biscuits and gravy when you're down there, you're missing out.

GET IN MY BELLY!

Good grief. Looks like cardiac arrest waiting to happen.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
Fyght4Cal
I expect at least 7 wins regular season wins. My actual call is for 8 wins.

My secret wish is to go 8-for-California - undefeated in the state, a home sweep, reclaiming the Axe and a 100th-anniversary spanking for our Southern sister.

Also, brown gravy or gtfoh

Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
calbear80
For Regular Season:
. 9 wins: We are all over the top ecstatic. Open up the check books big time.
. 8 wins: Very excited. Open up the check books.
. 7 wins: Happy. Make the normal four digit donation.
. 6 Wins (and a minor bowl game): OK, things take time.
. Anything Less: Not Happy.

My guess is 6 regular season wins and a minor bowl game where we win and match last year's 7 total wins.

Go Bears!
calbear80
Fyght4Cal said:

...My secret wish is to go 8-for-California - undefeated in the state, a home sweep, reclaiming the Axe and a 100th-anniversary spanking for our Southern sister.

Since we are at it, why not add to the secret wish list: winning the California Lottery and climbing Mt. Everest on the same day that named Mr. Universe!

Go Bears!
UrsaMajor
joe amos yaks said:

Mississippi ranks 50th in life expectancy. Just sayin'
wifeisafurd
UrsaMajor said:

joe amos yaks said:

Mississippi ranks 50th in life expectancy. Just sayin'
You need to hit the gym after the Grove.
UrsineMaximus
Fyght4Cal said:

I expect at least 7 wins regular season wins. My actual call is for 8 wins.

My secret wish is to go 8-for-California - undefeated in the state, a home sweep, reclaiming the Axe and a 100th-anniversary spanking for our Southern sister.

Also, brown gravy or gtfoh

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/09/f3/c7/81/queen-s-soul-food.jpg
That is a good looking meal, I'm coming right over!!
ducktilldeath
CAL was 6th in the nation in turnovers gained with 28, and dead last in the nation in turnovers lost. That script doesn't need to be flipped, but if it is rewritten nicely, CAL can win 10 games, like they would have last year with a barely average offense. The Oregon game last year is a perfect example. TWO freakin defensive touchdowns for the Ducks, are you kidding me? Otherwise y'all might win that game. Instead it looks like a blowout.
NYCGOBEARS
ducktilldeath said:

CAL was 6th in the nation in turnovers gained with 28, and dead last in the nation in turnovers lost. That script doesn't need to be flipped, but if it is rewritten nicely, CAL can win 10 games, like they would have last year with a barely average offense. The Oregon game last year is a perfect example. TWO freakin defensive touchdowns for the Ducks, are you kidding me? Otherwise y'all might win that game. Instead it looks like a blowout.

Where've you been?
ducktilldeath
NYCGOBEARS said:

ducktilldeath said:

Where've you been?
Well I kept getting banned at eDuck and then 247 destroyed the community by putting everything behind a pay wall. I miss the good old days.
Cal89
ducktilldeath said:

Appreciate the objectivity. TOs are critical, especially those that materialize directly into defensive TDs. Painful game for us. To your point, it was otherwise pretty tightly contested as the stats reveal, like first downs and total yards...

I had mentioned in another thread that that no offense lost the ball more than Cal in 2018. That's huge. It's hard not to see some decent upside with some improvement in ball security. We were 11th in the conference in allowing sacks, I believe also true on a per attempt basis. Cautiously optimistic...
Cal Strong!
Any Cal coach who lose to stanfurd 3 years in row need to be fired.
calumnus
Cal89 said:

ducktilldeath said:

Appreciate the objectivity. TOs are critical, especially those that materialize directly into defensive TDs. Painful game for us. To your point, it was otherwise pretty tightly contested as the stats reveal, like first downs and total yards...

I had mentioned in another thread that that no offense lost the ball more than Cal in 2018. That's huge. It's hard not to see some decent upside with some improvement in ball security. We were 11th in the conference in allowing sacks, I believe also true on a per attempt basis. Cautiously optimistic...

In 2017, when no one was open and protection broke down Bowers took a bunch of sacks. In 2018, when no one was open and protection broke down, Garbers and McIllwain (and Forrest in the Cheezit) would either force a pass or would take off running. It is why we had so many interceptions and had most of our rushing yards from the QBs.
okaydo
Cal Strong! said:

Any Cal coach who is able to beat an SEC team twice gets a free pass to lose to Stanford up to 7 times.
Cal Strong!
okaydo said:

Cal Strong! said:

Any Cal coach who is able to beat an SEC team twice gets a free pass to lose to Stanford up to 7 times.
Okaydo posting WEAK today. Okaydo need to take hard look in the mirror. Toughen up your thinking. Stop being weak. Cal not weak. Cal STRONG!

Be more like Cal, less like you.

The main purpose of Cal football is to give us another strong venue to humiliate stanfurd. All the other games are important, but when compared to Big Game they are just practice.

One of Cal Strong's biggest disappointments in Wilcox is that he weak at Big Game, like Dykes. And like Dykes, Wilcox weakly drones on about it being "just another game." Dykes say same weak thing. But their weak philosophy no help us beat stanfurd.

Cal football need a STRONG philosophy when it come to stanfurd. In third year, Cal coaches need to win or find a new job. Cal not weak.

Cal STRONG!
UrsineMaximus
The green shoots for what we can expect this year have begun to sprout in camp. The defense had 85% of the defense installed in the first week ~ 2 weeks ahead of last year. The offense had 75% of their offense installed in the first week ~ by some accounts a full 3 weeks ahead of last year! Additionally, thanks to Coach Becton (arguably the top 3 coach on staff) the lads are bigger, stronger and faster. From a physical and mental side the players are much improved from this time last year.

Only concerns IMO are BB ~ has he gotten better? ~ and the OL. The interviews with the OL suggests that they are confident they can get the running game going. If true, that will allow the offense to operate, the QB to succeed and a competent pass game.

I will note that at the live scrimmage, the offense AGAIN had a very slow start and that carry over from last year is not a trend Cal fans want to see.
Fyght4Cal
okaydo said:

Cal Strong! said:

Any Cal Coach who takes his team East, wins a 9:00am PDT ACC game, brings his team home to whip an SEC opponent, convincingly beats the only #8 team in America helmed by a Pirate, comes within 7 points of an 8-4 record, uses the next season to record home wins vs the eventual PAC-12 champ, the aforementioned ACC team, and mug USC in their own 'hood, has earned a little time to solve the Rubik's Cube that is David Shaw.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
NYCGOBEARS
UrsineMaximus said:

The green shoots for what we can expect this year have begun to sprout in camp. The defense had 85% of the defense installed in the first week ~ 2 weeks ahead of last year. The offense had 75% of their offense installed in the first week ~ by some accounts a full 3 weeks ahead of last year! Additionally, thanks to Coach Becton (arguably the top 3 coach on staff) the lads are bigger, stronger and faster. From a physical and mental side the players are much improved from this time last year.

Only concerns IMO are BB ~ has he gotten better? ~ and the OL. The interviews with the OL suggests that they are confident they can get the running game going. If true, that will allow the offense to operate, the QB to succeed and a competent pass game.

I will note that at the live scrimmage, the offense AGAIN had a very slow start and that carry over from last year is not a trend Cal fans want to see.

If our offense which we hope is middling at best is indeed practicing against one of the top defenses in the country, then the outcome from the scrimmage isn't surprising. Let's hope that going against this D every day sharpens their skills.
GBear4Life
So beating a terrible team from the SEC, ACC and Pac are now signs of a program in an upswing and a HC who needs excuses?

Yikes.
GBear4Life
How many good offenses did we play last year?

This elite defense talk is pretty alarming.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.