A change to the annual 25 football signee limit?

925 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by sp4149
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The NCAA is considering a change to the hard cap of 25 football signees/year. The proposal is a maximum of 35 in a given year with a maximum of 50 over a two year period. In other words, if you sign 35 in 2021, you would not be permitted to sign more than 15 in 2022. There is a long path that must be taken before this rule would be implemented.

I like the idea because it would facilitate more player movement and would allow schools that hire new coaches to quickly get up to speed if a significant number of players leave.
calumnus
71Bear said:

The NCAA is considering a change to the hard cap of 25 football signees/year. The proposal is a maximum of 35 in a given year with a maximum of 50 over a two year period. In other words, if you sign 35 in 2021, you would not be permitted to sign more than 15 in 2022. There is a long path that must be taken before this rule would be implemented.

I like the idea because it would facilitate more player movement and would allow schools that hire new coaches to quickly get up to speed if a significant number of players leave.

Could be really good when there is a coaching change. First year coaches won't have to find warm bodies to fill the roster late in the recruiting cycle. They can instead save the scholarships for their second year when they will have had a full year to scout and recruit.

I assume it would be a rolling 2 year limit of 50? That would help with one year transfer anomalies but would not solve chronic, year over year losses to transfer.

Overall, I think the new transfer rules and loosening of restrictions such as this are good for Cal and bad for the traditional powers who used to stockpile talent. Cal has proven to be very attractive to kids, usually very high rated coming out of high school, who didn't crack the starting lineup or got recruited over at their first school. They now realize an NFL career is not a sure thing and a Cal degree would be a good thing while they get another shot at starting and making an impact in college.
71Bear
calumnus said:

71Bear said:

Could be really good when there is a coaching change. First year coaches won't have to find warm bodies to fill the roster late in the recruiting cycle. They can instead save the scholarships for their second year when they will have had a full year to scout and recruit.

I assume it would be a rolling 2 year limit of 50? That would help with one year transfer anomalies but would not solve chronic, year over year losses to transfer.

Overall, I think the new transfer rules and loosening of restrictions such as this are good for Cal and bad for the traditional powers who used to stockpile talent. Cal has proven to be very attractive to kids, usually very high rated coming out of high school, who didn't crack the starting lineup or got recruited over at their first school. They now realize an NFL career is not a sure thing and a Cal degree would be a good thing while they get another shot at starting and making an impact in college.
Yes, a rolling limit of 50.
sp4149
71Bear said:

Don't you think that the cap should be simply adjusted for players lost to the transfer portal? Say a school has a large senior and/or departing class of 30 players and then loses another 25 to the transfer portal. (AFAIK there is no limit to the number of athletes that can transfer). That's 55 spots lost and only 35 spots filled and then only 15 the next year, so the school loses 20 spots for one year and five of those for a second year.

The transfer issue is relatively new and while it hurts some programs now, it doesn't seem to have a cap and without some form of compensation, aka adjustment in the hard cap for transfers. this proposed new rule still penalizes the school with large numbers of athletes leaving.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.