Worst College Football Coaches - Cal does not make the list!

1,888 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by going4roses
ncbears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ok - so, it is clickbait - but it is one coach per page. Worst 40 College Football Coaches I think there are 40 or so. I'll save you the clicking - no Cal coach made the list! Outrage! Walt Harris makes it for Stanfurd. Karl Dorrell makes it for UCLA. Ty Willingham makes it for Washington. Paul Wulf makes it for WSU. Paul Hackett makes it for U$C. But, no Dykes, no Theder, no Holmoe.
NYCGOBEARS
We're so irrelevant that even our worst coaches don't get ranked.
Strykur
NYCGOBEARS said:

Holmoes's wins against OU pretty much get him passed over just from those namesake victories.
71Bear
NYCGOBEARS said:

Where's Gilby? The list is incomplete without Cal's most incompetent HC in my lifetime.......
Ccajon2
ncbears said:

Ok - so, it is clickbait - but it is one coach per page. Worst 40 College Football Coaches I think there are 40 or so. I'll save you the clicking - no Cal coach made the list! Outrage! Walt Harris makes it for Stanfurd. Karl Dorrell makes it for UCLA. Ty Willingham makes it for Washington. Paul Wulf makes it for WSU. Paul Hackett makes it for U$C. But, no Dykes, no Theder, no Holmoe.

OP didn't mention it but the article also focuses on coach's who were fired for off the field misconduct, as well as incompetence. Includes Bobby Petrino, who was 34-17 @ Arkansas, and Mike Price, who never got to coach a single game at Bama.
Ccajon2
71Bear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Where's Gilby? The list is incomplete without Cal's most incompetent HC in my lifetime.......

Why Gilby? He actually had a 9 win season and a bowl win. Went 20-26 here. My vote for inclusion would be Marv Levy, who took over a team one season removed from a RB appearance, going 8-29-3 in four years. Just looking at the records, probably only Cal has ever had a Rose Bowl season sandwiched by 1-9 and 2-8 records.
71Bear
Ccajon2 said:

71Bear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Why Gilby? He actually had a 9 win season and a bowl win. Went 20-26 here. My vote for inclusion would be Marv Levy, who took over a team one season removed from a RB appearance, going 8-29-3 in four years. Just looking at the records, probably only Cal has ever had a Rose Bowl season sandwiched by 1-9 and 2-8 records.
Anyone who followed Cal football at that time knows why Gilby is at or near the top of any Cal Worst Coach list....
calumnus
Ccajon2 said:

71Bear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Gilby took over a Cal program on the verge of a Rose Bowl that was trending up (and would have if we retained Snyder or promoted Mooch) and ran it into the ground all the time remaining a Husky at heart and praising their history and traditions instead of ours.

SFCityBear
calumnus said:

Ccajon2 said:

71Bear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Gilby took over a Cal program on the verge of a Rose Bowl that was trending up (and would have if we retained Snyder or promoted Mooch) and ran it into the ground all the time remaining a Husky at heart and praising their history and traditions instead of ours.

Too many "ifs" here.
SFCityBear
SFCityBear
Ccajon2 said:

71Bear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

You have nailed it. Levy had a PhD in English Lit, but at Cal, he couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag. His main strategy was surrender, as he directed his Cal teams to punt on 3rd down. I don't think there has ever been a team which became successful by doing that most of the time. The players had no respect for him, mostly because he liked to shower with them. Somehow he became a successful NFL coach, which is beyond almost any fan's comprehension who followed his Cal teams. No other coach mentioned here so far can hold a candle to Levy for being inept.
SFCityBear
Golden One
ncbears said:

No way Holmoe isn't on the list. He's definitely the worst Cal coach ever, and worst than almost all of the coaches on the list.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Rick Venturi must be the worst coach. He's on the list twice for the poor job he did at Northwestern. On the other hand, Gene Chizik run may have ended badly at Auburn, but you can't have a coach that won a national championship on the list of worst coaches.
going4roses
Punt on 3rd down? What ??? Oh boy
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.