Mean Green Win Bar Celebration

8,120 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Cal88
NYCGOBEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
6forHeisman.com said:

bearister said:

If that abode is on West Mac, I would sleep in the airport lounge or re book.
Harrison & 6th? looks like the sketchiest place ever, still paid $225 a night?

Go to the End Up, right near your hotel. You'll see things....
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Another Bear said:

Sure, sure...but try that same intro on a Texas CFB forum and see what the responses will be.

Imagine that message on the Mississippi CFB forum. "I hear the Grove is where the action is, where do y'all suggest I get liquored up after we stomp you guys?"


True, but what happened to, "When they go low, we go high."?

Of course, in Berkeley, we're pretty much always high, so...
Sebastabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NYCGOBEARS said:

6forHeisman.com said:

bearister said:

If that abode is on West Mac, I would sleep in the airport lounge or re book.
Harrison & 6th? looks like the sketchiest place ever, still paid $225 a night?

Go to the End Up, right near your hotel. You'll see things....
When your hotel's neighbors are four auto repair shops, a liquor store and a gay bar you know you've never heard of TripAdvisor.
packawana
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There's some great bars and restaurants in that area of SoMA. I'm completely serious. Check out Buzzworks for beer, Iza Ramen SoMA, or the DNA Lounge if you're into shows. I just visited a penthouse at one of the new apartment buildings in that neighborhood and my God it was sleek.
NYCGOBEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sebastabear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

6forHeisman.com said:

bearister said:

If that abode is on West Mac, I would sleep in the airport lounge or re book.
Harrison & 6th? looks like the sketchiest place ever, still paid $225 a night?

Go to the End Up, right near your hotel. You'll see things....
When your hotel's neighbors are four auto repair shops, a liquor store and a gay bar you know you've never heard of TripAdvisor.

Don't judge. For some, that's a huge selling point.

I met my wife on that corner... long story.
WhipItOutJoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Apropos of nothing, the Mean Green has to be one of the cooler team names out there (with all due respect to the Blue Hose).

Another Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

Another Bear said:

Sure, sure...but try that same intro on a Texas CFB forum and see what the responses will be.

Imagine that message on the Mississippi CFB forum. "I hear the Grove is where the action is, where do y'all suggest I get liquored up after we stomp you guys?"


True, but what happened to, "When they go low, we go high."?

Of course, in Berkeley, we're pretty much always high, so...
In that case...roll out the welcome wagon and make a stop at a legal recreational cannabis (dope for you only timers and hippies) shop while in the Bay Area. There must be a few in SOMA. The most popular in Berkeley is Cannabis Buyers Club Berkeley...near Ashby/Shattuck.

p.s. it's legal to puff weed on the streets of Berkeley but not on UC campus...not that it stops anyone.
GoCal80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You might want to check out Pacific Standard Tap Room on Center Street. Good burgers across the street at Eureka
UrsaMajor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Appropos of absolutely nothing, one of my good friends teaches at North Texas. She is originally from the Bay Area, but has been in Denton for about 25 years and likes it.
Sebastabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NYCGOBEARS said:

Sebastabear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

6forHeisman.com said:

bearister said:

If that abode is on West Mac, I would sleep in the airport lounge or re book.
Harrison & 6th? looks like the sketchiest place ever, still paid $225 a night?

Go to the End Up, right near your hotel. You'll see things....
When your hotel's neighbors are four auto repair shops, a liquor store and a gay bar you know you've never heard of TripAdvisor.

Don't judge. For some, that's a huge selling point.

I met my wife on that corner... long story.
Ha. Yeah, well I should have said "When you are from North Texas and your hotel's neighbors are . . . " Soma can be a pretty interesting place, but guessing not when your frame of reference is Denton, Texas. But no matter where you are from a motel on the freeway is never a good call, I don't care who your neighbors are.
FuzzyWuzzy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NYCGOBEARS said:

Sebastabear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

6forHeisman.com said:

bearister said:

If that abode is on West Mac, I would sleep in the airport lounge or re book.
Harrison & 6th? looks like the sketchiest place ever, still paid $225 a night?

Go to the End Up, right near your hotel. You'll see things....
When your hotel's neighbors are four auto repair shops, a liquor store and a gay bar you know you've never heard of TripAdvisor.

Don't judge. For some, that's a huge selling point.

I met my wife on that corner... long story.
Go right ahead. There's no character limit here.
Bear19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
6forHeisman.com said:

Mason Fine really is one of the best QB's in the country & #1 returning passer from last year, if you haven't heard of him you really don't watch much football outside of prime time SEC games.
When Mason comes to visit, he'll want to check out SF, our coaches, the facilities, etc. The transfer portal is perfect for an outstanding QB from a lower division school who can spend a fun filled year in the Bay Area. Does Mason have a cousin or family relative who needs medical help, who just happens to live in Berkeley?
TandemBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was at Kip's last year and was pleasantly surprised with the updated environs. Pretty good beer selection and decent food. Not high end by any means, but perfectly acceptable for pre-game libations.

Free House at College and Bancroft is perfectly situated across from the edge of campus, just below the stadium, and is very popular. But get there early if you want to find a table.

Triple Rock is a long-time drinking establishment, but about... oh wait, no longer on Telegraph! Oops, I guess I haven't been paying attention. Ha! I just checked their address and they're on Shattuck at Hearst and I see they get good ratings on Google. Not far from campus, but not within the main area where all the pre-game activity is most concentrated.

Jupiter on Shattuck is downtown and is a popular drinking hole.

Best salads can be found at Mezzo, formerly Intermezzo, which burned, along with Raliegh's, a fantastic beer spot, which are both now in a rebuilt building in the same place on Telegraph. Good natural food and nice semi-outdoor seating in back. Raliegh's selection of beer was really good last time I checked. Raliegh's is solid.

One thing I gotta add is this, and it kinda sucks. You will NOT want to leave ANYTHING visible in your vehicle wherever you park it. Car break-ins are epidemic in San Francisco and the East Bay, which includes Oakland and Berkeley. Leave an empty shopping bag on the back seat? Expect a broken window and your stuff stolen. No phone charging cords out, or anything. No nothing! And if you're going to put things in your trunk, put them in WHEN YOU LEAVE. Don't park at your destination and then put things in the trunk. The thieves case and will see you doing that. Also, don't leave anything blue tooth enabled in your car either. Thieves will identify blue tooth items in your car and break into your trunk or glove box. Totally sucks, but that's the reality.

Sorry to be such a Nega Bear, but it's out of control these days. An Oakland neighbor on NextDoor "ran into Safeway for 10 minutes on Sunday morning" and had her window broken and purse stolen. 10 am on Sunday. But in Oakland, where any Oakland resident with half a brain knows to NEVER leave a purse or bag on the seat to "just run into a store." She was aghast at the store employees not really doing a whole lot for her after the theft. She planned to boycott. I was very tempted to reply to her that she was a complete idiot and the grocery store had NOTHING to do with it! Sheesh, free parking and she still has to complain! Well, she learned her lesson, the hard way.

And in addition to that, be aware. Don't wander drunkenly down Telegraph or Harrison (in SF) at 2am distracted on your phone. This is how robberies happen. This is the biggest robbery issue around the UC Berkeley campus currently. I know because I just listened to the UCBPD "parent orientation" on campus a few weeks ago and this is what the officer stressed. Plus, I've been in the East Bay since '85 and in the Bay Area my whole life and am pretty aware of the depressing crime situation.

So don't fall for the typical tourist mistakes and end up hating your stay.

I wish you a great trip and stay in our awesome part of the world. I hope you find the perfect beer/drink to drown your sorrows after losing gracefully to the Bears!
6forHeisman.com
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sebastabear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

6forHeisman.com said:

bearister said:

If that abode is on West Mac, I would sleep in the airport lounge or re book.
Harrison & 6th? looks like the sketchiest place ever, still paid $225 a night?

Go to the End Up, right near your hotel. You'll see things....
When your hotel's neighbors are four auto repair shops, a liquor store and a gay bar you know you've never heard of TripAdvisor.
I didn't book it.
6forHeisman.com
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sebastabear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Sebastabear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

6forHeisman.com said:

bearister said:

If that abode is on West Mac, I would sleep in the airport lounge or re book.
Harrison & 6th? looks like the sketchiest place ever, still paid $225 a night?

Go to the End Up, right near your hotel. You'll see things....
When your hotel's neighbors are four auto repair shops, a liquor store and a gay bar you know you've never heard of TripAdvisor.

Don't judge. For some, that's a huge selling point.

I met my wife on that corner... long story.
Ha. Yeah, well I should have said "When you are from North Texas and your hotel's neighbors are . . . " Soma can be a pretty interesting place, but guessing not when your frame of reference is Denton, Texas. But no matter where you are from a motel on the freeway is never a good call, I don't care who your neighbors are.
idk how often you've been to Denton Texas but it's actually pretty great. Three colleges, great food, and music city. It's got some weird people with it being pretty hipster & liberal. But there aren't homeless people everywhere, feces in the streets, and a worry about ever getting robbed.
oski003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There aren't homeless people everywhere, feces all over the street, and I have never been personally robbed even though I have lived in Berkeley and Los Angeles most of my life.

One time, however, I had the window of my car smashed at an attempt to steal my car stereo. The thief was unsuccessful, but the broken window pissed me off. I am not a fan of the California law that basically is a catch and release for those who get caught stealing less than $1,000.
Another Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For the most part SOMA is safe. It's been safe for a long time, since the first dot com boom and after Phone Co ballpark was built. The ballpark really changed things. I worked at 3rd/Brannan during the whole thing. There's still pockets of weirdness (6th and Mission) and of course small tent cities, so just be aware and take precautions. During the day, I see no issues. At night, walk in twos or a group, don't have your phone out. If you're a guy, shouldn't be a problem.
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TandemBear said:

I was at Kip's last year and was pleasantly surprised with the updated environs. Pretty good beer selection and decent food. Not high end by any means, but perfectly acceptable for pre-game libations.

Free House at College and Bancroft is perfectly situated across from the edge of campus, just below the stadium, and is very popular. But get there early if you want to find a table.

Triple Rock is a long-time drinking establishment, but about... oh wait, no longer on Telegraph! Oops, I guess I haven't been paying attention. Ha! I just checked their address and they're on Shattuck at Hearst and I see they get good ratings on Google. Not far from campus, but not within the main area where all the pre-game activity is most concentrated.

Jupiter on Shattuck is downtown and is a popular drinking hole.

Best salads can be found at Mezzo, formerly Intermezzo, which burned, along with Raliegh's, a fantastic beer spot, which are both now in a rebuilt building in the same place on Telegraph. Good natural food and nice semi-outdoor seating in back. Raliegh's selection of beer was really good last time I checked. Raliegh's is solid.

One thing I gotta add is this, and it kinda sucks. You will NOT want to leave ANYTHING visible in your vehicle wherever you park it. Car break-ins are epidemic in San Francisco and the East Bay, which includes Oakland and Berkeley. Leave an empty shopping bag on the back seat? Expect a broken window and your stuff stolen. No phone charging cords out, or anything. No nothing! And if you're going to put things in your trunk, put them in WHEN YOU LEAVE. Don't park at your destination and then put things in the trunk. The thieves case and will see you doing that. Also, don't leave anything blue tooth enabled in your car either. Thieves will identify blue tooth items in your car and break into your trunk or glove box. Totally sucks, but that's the reality.

Sorry to be such a Nega Bear, but it's out of control these days. An Oakland neighbor on NextDoor "ran into Safeway for 10 minutes on Sunday morning" and had her window broken and purse stolen. 10 am on Sunday. But in Oakland, where any Oakland resident with half a brain knows to NEVER leave a purse or bag on the seat to "just run into a store." She was aghast at the store employees not really doing a whole lot for her after the theft. She planned to boycott. I was very tempted to reply to her that she was a complete idiot and the grocery store had NOTHING to do with it! Sheesh, free parking and she still has to complain! Well, she learned her lesson, the hard way.

And in addition to that, be aware. Don't wander drunkenly down Telegraph or Harrison (in SF) at 2am distracted on your phone. This is how robberies happen. This is the biggest robbery issue around the UC Berkeley campus currently. I know because I just listened to the UCBPD "parent orientation" on campus a few weeks ago and this is what the officer stressed. Plus, I've been in the East Bay since '85 and in the Bay Area my whole life and am pretty aware of the depressing crime situation.

So don't fall for the typical tourist mistakes and end up hating your stay.

I wish you a great trip and stay in our awesome part of the world. I hope you find the perfect beer/drink to drown your sorrows after losing gracefully to the Bears!

Only because I heard "no question is a dumb question":

I have an iPod in my car that is not visible from the outside. It is plugged in. Can they detect that?
TomBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
6forheisman, I'm possibly going to make the trip to Denton for our return match with "y'all", so may have to ask you for ideas of places to pre-game when in the area. My plan is to visit Denton then cruise to the Hill Country for the remainder of the weekend. Love Texas and free brisket samples at Buc-ees!

Before the game, try to make it to Top Dog for a great hot dog/sausage/brat before the game. You can get a good beer almost anywhere. But Top Dog will be a memory.

And stay for the Cal Band concert in the stadium after the game.
rkt88edmo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
@6for - best $4 you can spend on campus
https://visit.berkeley.edu/campus-tourscampanile-tour/
Hit it early on your way up through campus to the stadium.
Tailgating in Berkeley is hardly "tailgaiting". Better off hitting a good food option (check yelp and go early) or beer joint and just leave time to lounge/tour around campus in my opinion

Band plays one hour before kickoff on Sproul Plaza which is where Telegraph Ave dead ends into campus.



OdontoBear66
How long do you want to ignore this user?
6forHeisman.com said:

Haha it was all in good fun! I know very little about the school & sports of Cal Berkeley so I jumped in your forum. I've been to most of the US but never Cali and being in the Bay 13th-15th I have much to squeeze in. I figured I'd come directly to the source instead of Yelp.

I'm a recent alumni of the University of North Texas, we're the 4th biggest school in Texas about 40,000 students and our football program been on the rise the last couple of years with Coach Littrell & Mason Fine. Mason Fine really is one of the best QB's in the country & #1 returning passer from last year, if you haven't heard of him you really don't watch much football outside of prime time SEC games.

I'm coming with a few college buddies from Dallas that weekend & staying in some piece of **** "Bay Bridge Inn" that my idiot buddy booked. So if we survive the ghetto I would be down to check out y'alls tailgate or grab a beer at some point. #GoMeanGreen
Right off the bat, we really aren't too much in to SEC football on this coast. Maybe when it gets down to final game, or maybe when it involves their soft pre season schedules where they never leave their state, etc.
TandemBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

TandemBear said:

I was at Kip's last year and was pleasantly surprised with the updated environs. Pretty good beer selection and decent food. Not high end by any means, but perfectly acceptable for pre-game libations.

Free House at College and Bancroft is perfectly situated across from the edge of campus, just below the stadium, and is very popular. But get there early if you want to find a table.

Triple Rock is a long-time drinking establishment, but about... oh wait, no longer on Telegraph! Oops, I guess I haven't been paying attention. Ha! I just checked their address and they're on Shattuck at Hearst and I see they get good ratings on Google. Not far from campus, but not within the main area where all the pre-game activity is most concentrated.

Jupiter on Shattuck is downtown and is a popular drinking hole.

Best salads can be found at Mezzo, formerly Intermezzo, which burned, along with Raliegh's, a fantastic beer spot, which are both now in a rebuilt building in the same place on Telegraph. Good natural food and nice semi-outdoor seating in back. Raliegh's selection of beer was really good last time I checked. Raliegh's is solid.

One thing I gotta add is this, and it kinda sucks. You will NOT want to leave ANYTHING visible in your vehicle wherever you park it. Car break-ins are epidemic in San Francisco and the East Bay, which includes Oakland and Berkeley. Leave an empty shopping bag on the back seat? Expect a broken window and your stuff stolen. No phone charging cords out, or anything. No nothing! And if you're going to put things in your trunk, put them in WHEN YOU LEAVE. Don't park at your destination and then put things in the trunk. The thieves case and will see you doing that. Also, don't leave anything blue tooth enabled in your car either. Thieves will identify blue tooth items in your car and break into your trunk or glove box. Totally sucks, but that's the reality.

Sorry to be such a Nega Bear, but it's out of control these days. An Oakland neighbor on NextDoor "ran into Safeway for 10 minutes on Sunday morning" and had her window broken and purse stolen. 10 am on Sunday. But in Oakland, where any Oakland resident with half a brain knows to NEVER leave a purse or bag on the seat to "just run into a store." She was aghast at the store employees not really doing a whole lot for her after the theft. She planned to boycott. I was very tempted to reply to her that she was a complete idiot and the grocery store had NOTHING to do with it! Sheesh, free parking and she still has to complain! Well, she learned her lesson, the hard way.

And in addition to that, be aware. Don't wander drunkenly down Telegraph or Harrison (in SF) at 2am distracted on your phone. This is how robberies happen. This is the biggest robbery issue around the UC Berkeley campus currently. I know because I just listened to the UCBPD "parent orientation" on campus a few weeks ago and this is what the officer stressed. Plus, I've been in the East Bay since '85 and in the Bay Area my whole life and am pretty aware of the depressing crime situation.

So don't fall for the typical tourist mistakes and end up hating your stay.

I wish you a great trip and stay in our awesome part of the world. I hope you find the perfect beer/drink to drown your sorrows after losing gracefully to the Bears!

Only because I heard "no question is a dumb question":

I have an iPod in my car that is not visible from the outside. It is plugged in. Can they detect that?
If Bluetooth is enabled, then I understand it can be detected by anyone nearby searching for Bluetooth devices to connect to. Now, if your car's in a parking lot surrounded by other cars, it might make it hard to identify the car with the device. But this is what I've heard is one of the latest techniques. That and, just reported last week, that thieves are using car FOB jammers the prevent locking the vehicle as you walk away. I don't know the details, but it seems to me if it doesn't beep, you'd double-check. Perhaps it works for people in a hurry who simply assume the car locked and alarm set with one push of the button.
oskirules
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bypass Berkeley and go to SF via BART. Take a whiff of that west coast crazy.

juarezbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
6forHeisman.com said:

Another Bear said:

Like dude, y'all all y'all'ed out or just y'all?
Most important word in Texan


Absolutely y'all!!! I'm from El Paso..
juarezbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oski003 said:

There aren't homeless people everywhere, feces all over the street, and I have never been personally robbed even though I have lived in Berkeley and Los Angeles most of my life.

One time, however, I had the window of my car smashed at an attempt to steal my car stereo. The thief was unsuccessful, but the broken window pissed me off. I am not a fan of the California law that basically is a catch and release for those who get caught stealing less than $1,000.


Let's be honest here....the homeless problems is massive in SF and LA. My friend who bikes to work in SF frequently sees human poop on the sidewalks, and there are homeless tents under virtually every overpass in LA. I prefer living in LA to Denton, but our Mean Green friend was simply trying to say his town isn't what we probably imagine it to be.
6forHeisman.com
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Forget anything I stated I know longer care about the game. We have the worst defense in America. I will be hitting the dispensary right off the plane and getting the largest mg edibles they have.
rkt88edmo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
read up on edibles, many people get in over their head and take a hospital trip unnecessarily lol
6forHeisman.com
How long do you want to ignore this user?
rkt88edmo said:

read up on edibles, many people get in over their head and take a hospital trip unnecessarily lol
I'm very well versed in edibles, made some mistakes in the past lol
Jtm0097
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We are making the trip from Texas. I guess I should leave my MAGA hat at home, I know how liberal y'all are. I kid, I don't have a MAGA hat. Even if I did, why in the hell would I wear it in public.

On a side note, I am looking forward to visiting California for the first time. I am hoping for a competitive game. We played like complete crap against SMU last week. If we come out flat, you guys will take us to the woodshed.

Please be nice to the few UNT fans. We will return the favor when you visit us in a few years.
dajo9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome to Berkeley. Enjoy your stay.

Make sure to check out the student's pre-game rally the night before at People's Park. Kicks off at 9pm.

Good luck in the game. What would you say is your best win from 2018?
An old white dude
Sebastabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jtm0097 said:

We are making the trip from Texas. I guess I should leave my MAGA hat at home, I know how liberal y'all are. I kid, I don't have a MAGA hat. Even if I did, why in the hell would I wear it in public.

On a side note, I am looking forward to visiting California for the first time. I am hoping for a competitive game. We played like complete crap against SMU last week. If we come out flat, you guys will take us to the woodshed.

Please be nice to the few UNT fans. We will return the favor when you visit us in a few years.
Welcome to Berkeley. Please don't have any concern about folks being nice to your fans. This is probably the least hostile P5 fanbase in the world. We're thrilled to have you join us.
Jtm0097
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thank you for the welcome! We are staying in San Francisco for the weekend and taking the BART to the stadium.

Our best win from 2018 was the blow out of Arkansas 44 to 17. That was huge for recruiting and national publicity.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/2018/09/16/a-program-changer-how-the-mean-green-stunned-arkansas-and-won-their-first-game-against-an-sec-opponent-since-1975/
25To20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dajo9 said:

Make sure to check out the student's pre-game rally the night before at People's Park. Kicks off at 9pm.

For people unfamiliar with Berkeley, please ignore the suggestion to visit People's Park. Read the Wikipedia article about Peoples Park if you need to understand why. There will be no pre-game student rally there.
Jtm0097
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Haha all good, I won't be in Berkeley on Friday night. However, thank you for confirming.
SBGold
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hope you have a good trip. Are we scheduled to play at North Texas sometime in the future?
Page 2 of 4
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.