Lynn Swann has resigned

5,606 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by wifeisafurd
B.A. Bearacus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GBear4Life
LOL

Was there ever a worse fit and less competent AD than the last two good ole boy hires
BearSD
"resigned" Ha.

Based on the USC press release, it sounds more like Swann was told the university would be announcing his "resignation" today, and that a security guard would stop by to take his keys and give him a box for his personal effects.

B.A. Bearacus

GBear4Life

Quote:

The school has been marred by scandals during his tenure. Some weren't his fault, such as the college admissions scandal involving multiple celebrities, plus the investigations into college basketball corruption. However, he never gave off the impression that he had the situation under control. In fact, he was widely criticized for skipping meetings about the school's ongoing crises in order to go across the country to charge for autographs. Few USC fans will be sorry to see him go.
https://larrybrownsports.com/college-basketball/usc-athletic-director-lynn-swann-resigns/513088
upsetof86
They interviewed him extensively on the PAC 12 network recap this weekend. He made some bold statements, I guess he had nothing to lose. What timing.
BearSD
GBear4Life
BearSD said:

This has to be a joke
upsetof86
Wow how come none of our AD candidate lists look like this? Not meaning this is necessarily bad or good but does anyone notice the stark difference here?
upsetof86
GBear4Life said:

BearSD said:

This has to be a joke

After Swann it's impossible to tell. Sorry Steeler fanz.
bear2034
Beastmode for Cal Athletic Director if the Strategic Plan doesn't pan out.
GBear4Life
Has it occurred to USC to seek actual college athletic administrators for a college athletic administrator role???
Another Bear
Very telling USC has only hired former players at AD; Garrett, Haden, Swann. Swanny probably figured...GET OUT NOW before the indictments start flying.

I vote for Keyshawn Johnson.
UrsineMaximus
Too bad, I wish U$C had kept him in perpetuity, he was terrible. (errr, i mean GREAT!!)
UrsineMaximus
BearSD said:

nah, it will be Reggie Bush ~ has to be.
GBear4Life
Snoop Dog
B.A. Bearacus
Person with 900K Twitter followers is available.

bearister
Whenever I see or hear Lynn Swann's name it transports me back in time to this story which I followed closely:

https://www.si.com/vault/1977/08/01/621920/a-walk-on-the-sordid-side
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
TandemBear
bearister said:

Whenever I see or hear Lynn Swann's name it transports me back in time to this story which I followed closely:

https://www.si.com/vault/1977/08/01/621920/a-walk-on-the-sordid-side
Thanks for posting! Reading with intrigue now. I was a kid smitten with the Raiders, Ken Stabler, Cliff Branch and Fred Biletnikoff, et al at the time. Had no clue about this kerfuffle between these parties.
UrsineMaximus
Weak.
Northside91
B.A. Bearacus said:

SC and Cal have interesting criteria for selecting their ADs. For SC, the guy who best fits the 42 regular that's been hanging in the closet for the last 30 years gets the job. For Cal, it's the guy (or gal) that puts the selection committee to sleep the fastest. Both schools need to be more discriminating.
bearister
B.A. Bearacus said:

Person with 900K Twitter followers is available.

How surprised would any of us be if someday an aggrieved party has The Juice capped?

71Bear
GBear4Life said:

LOL

Was there ever a worse fit and less competent AD than the last two good ole boy hires
If you are a Cal fan, you are either very young or have a short memory. The worst AD in the history of college athletics was our very own - Bob (Program Wrecker) Bockrath. He single handily destroyed the Cal football program.
Beardog26
This.
joe amos yaks
BearSD said:

Will Farrell for AD.
Fight on.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
XXXBEAR
OJ is available...
Larno
71Bear, you are obviously an old-timer like myself ('73 grad) and you are 100% right about Bockrath. Water under the bridge but still irked abut him ruining Cal football for years. As for the story about the trial of George Atkinson, I don't remember that at all. I'm a 49er fan (certainly nothing to cheer about at that time) and didn't care about the Steelers and could not stand the Raiders. If course, it's always good for USC to have problems but it seems like Swann is a nice person. I guess, never met him. I actually did meet Pat Haden. In 1974 Cal was up at Washington and a couple of friends and I decided to go over to Stanford for their game with SC, perhaps hoping the earth would open up and swallow both teams whole. At any rate (SC won) long-time Cal fans would remember that the teams would have to walk a ways through the crowds to get to the locker rooms, which were not at the stadium. We came up on Haden as he was walking and he noticed us wearing Cal gear. He asked how Steve Bartkowski had done that day (very well, we told him) and said that's great, he's a good quarterback. He was very friendly when he didn't have to be and I have always had a favorable impression since then. Really short, though, probably 2 or 3 inches less than what he was listed.
BearSD

bearister
I have heard Pat Haden is a nice man as well. He is a member of Cypress and Augusta so he must be doing something right.
wifeisafurd
bearister said:

I have heard Pat Haden is a nice man as well. He is a member of Cypress and Augusta so he must be doing something right.
yes, even among Cal alums in SoCal he is liked. If (big if) the new USC President is serious about eliminating scandals, they need someone from outside, with a sports administration background, scandal free, and a football focus. Of course they will pick an ex-player.
TheSouseFamily
wifeisafurd said:

bearister said:

yes, even among Cal alums in SoCal he is liked. If (big if) the new USC President is serious about eliminating scandals, they need someone from outside, with a sports administration background, scandal free, and a football focus. Of course they will pick an ex-player.

Given that the new USC President was the architect of the UNC "our athletic department isn't a fraud, the entire university is a fraud" argument that spared the Heels with the NCAA, I have no doubt that Folt will do literally whatever it takes to put the athletic department in good stead.
calumnus
wifeisafurd said:

bearister said:

yes, even among Cal alums in SoCal he is liked. If (big if) the new USC President is serious about eliminating scandals, they need someone from outside, with a sports administration background, scandal free....

SC lurkers, pleaee don't steal Jim Knowlton from us!
Strykur
calumnus said:

wifeisafurd said:

bearister said:

yes, even among Cal alums in SoCal he is liked. If (big if) the new USC President is serious about eliminating scandals, they need someone from outside, with a sports administration background, scandal free....

SC lurkers, pleaee don't steal Jim Knowlton from us!
What is the upside there for him if we match salary, although given the tenuous relationship Cal athletics has with the rest of campus, that may creep in for such considerations.
Pigskin Pete
GBear4Life said:

BearSD said:

This has to be a joke
Nothing gets by your discerning eye, does it?
GoBears89
I'm sure they will have no problem filling the AD role, but it's not off to a good start....

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2853411-usc-reportedly-unsuccessfully-reached-out-to-multiple-power-5-ads-about-vacancy

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.