hate to be the bearer of bad news....Ole Miss kickoff is 1100 CDT on ESPN U

12,604 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by calumnus
Crusty old Colonel
How long do you want to ignore this user?

this sucks donkeys.....

LSU at Vanderbilt, 12 pm ET/11 am CT on ESPN or ESPN2 or SEC Network*
Tennessee at Florida, 12 pm ET/11 am CT on ESPN or ESPN2 or SEC Network*
Southern Mississippi at Alabama, 12 pm ET/11 am CT on ESPN or ESPN2*
California at Ole Miss, 12 pm ET/11 am CT on ESPNU
Auburn at Texas A&M, 3:30 pm ET/2:30 pm CT on CBS
Kentucky at Mississippi State, 4 pm ET/3 pm CT on SEC Network or SEC Network Alternate*
South Carolina at Missouri, 4 pm ET/3 pm CT on SEC Network or SEC Network Alternate*
San Jose State at Arkansas, 7:30 pm ET/6:30 pm CT on SEC Network
Notre Dame at Georgia, 8 pm ET/7 pm CT on CBS

bearsandgiants
if we can win at 1am, we can win at 9am
Crusty old Colonel
it's a shame that you won't get the full gameday experience though.....
Mikeman
No problems, only solutions....bring the golden Cadillac's...... meant for home viewing parties
bearsandgiants
is this the earliest start time ever for ole miss? i'm sure the postgame will be epic if the pregame is not, right?
FrankBear21
Gin fizzes starting at 8am, my place.
GBear4Life
what did you want the local game time to be?

I imagine for those traveling, a mid-late afternoon start would have been idea.
TheSouseFamily
Colonel - Any recommendations on post-game activities? Will the Grove still be happening?
Crusty old Colonel
the Grove or the Square....
KingPosibearII
This is brilliant Golden Bear news! Trusted Faithful Chief Wilcox is in favor of early starts and clearly understands our advantage against weaker/lesser-minded opponents.
Crusty old Colonel
I was hoping for a late afternoon kickoff for my own travel needs and for y'all to really get the flavor of the Grove...
Arcadiabear
What does this mean for the tailgating at ole miss and the grove? Breakfast for tailgating?
Another Bear
What time was the UNC game in NC in 2017? I thought it was a 12 noon EDT start, or 9 a.m. PDT. That was Wilcox's first game and he was ready. Not ideal but I don't see a problem here.
oskidunker
Why is this bad news? You would rather another night game?
Go Bears!
Redonkulous Bear
If we can spend an entire winter hibernating we can fast intermittently for at least 16 hours.
http://i.imgur.com/mNs8KsU.jpg
JSC 76
Crusty old Colonel said:

I was hoping for a late afternoon kickoff for my own travel needs and for y'all to really get the flavor of the Grove...
Yeah, this is disappointing -- it's a large reason for why I'm going! So is there a precedent? What is the Grove like for an 11:00 AM kickoff?
cal83dls79
oskidunker said:

a night game vs 11am are not comps. But that said, if you are a breakfast/early drinker this could be ok if you are in proximity to Oxford. The Memphis folks now need to temper themselves (slightly)and the Nashville Bear fans please go to bed now. That's me.
CALiforniALUM
OMFG. Can nothing please us? Too late....too early. What is it?
TheSouseFamily
oskidunker said:

Because in the south, there's more prestige with playing at night as opposed to playing at noon. Colonel will know better than me but I believe the night thing started because of the desire to avoid hot/humid days and it evolved from there. Heck, LSU basically only plays at night and is willing to fight to keep it that way. It's just different out here than it is on the west coast. There's a perception that day time games don't matter much and night games do. And the placement of games on TV would seem to support that.
Bear8
Looks like we have to get up at 6:30 in Memphis, leave at 7:30 for Oxford, which is 84 miles away, and get there by 9 a.m. If so, you'll have time to visit the Grove and drink something? Get to your seats by 10:30 and see the pre-game stuff. If it's humid and hot, we miss the worst of the day and finish by 2 p.m.
bear2034
CALiforniALUM said:

Who's complaining? The OP is an Ole Miss fan.
Bear8
Just checked the Weather Channel for Oxford, MS. Temps in the high 80's, low 90's and it also looks like it will be humid. There is a prediction of 40% rain every day and that implies humidity.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/4d1b97b8ff8844ad61388276f66ec0f7a972aab8820e86fdaadf07834cc947ba
Big C
oskirules said:

CALiforniALUM said:

I'm complaining.

1. That's an early start for players who live on Pacific Time. It's a minor disadvantage for us.

2. (not really for me, because I was considering the trip, but decided to pass) For many Cal folks going to the game, a major appeal is experiencing the Grove, which is primarily a pre-game affair (post-game, too, but to a lesser extent). It will still be happenin', but for a shorter time and with lesser intensity, plus the need to get up early that morning (lots of people staying in Memphis, etc.)

As far as the "Too late? Too early? What is it?" rationale, yes, there is such a thing as the RIGHT time for this game to start, which would be somewhere between 1:00 and 4:00, maybe even an evening game.
BearInTennisShoes
As someone traveling to the game, this outcome is pretty disappointing. We were looking forward to experiencing the Grove (in all its glory) for a long time.
oskidunker
Go after
Go Bears!
ColoradoBear
Just thought I'd throw this here - Alabama not happy with an 11am kick on the same day due to the heat factor:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27581049/alabama-not-happy-start-due-heat

Oxford and Tuscaloosa are 158 miles apart, and looking at the forecasts for the next 10 days, each town's forecasted high is within 2 degrees of each other for each day (and over 90F).

Fyght4Cal
Big C said:

oskirules said:

CALiforniALUM said:

I'm complaining.

1. That's an early start for players who live on Pacific Time. It's a minor disadvantage for us.

2. (not really for me, because I was considering the trip, but decided to pass) For many Cal folks going to the game, a major appeal is experiencing the Grove, which is primarily a pre-game affair (post-game, too, but to a lesser extent). It will still be happenin', but for a shorter time and with lesser intensity, plus the need to get up early that morning (lots of people staying in Memphis, etc.)

As far as the "Too late? Too early? What is it?" rationale, yes, there is such a thing as the RIGHT time for this game to start, which would be somewhere between 1:00 and 4:00, maybe even an evening game.
Not sure you noticed, but the Bears practice in the morning, before classes. So, they'll be ready. Let this 2017 Morning Glory reminder remove all doubt:

PS. My sincere apologies to the Colonel for boothing this most timely and courteous post.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
okaydo
This is the only game this season that I'm planning to drink (unless we somehow keep winning). So I'm fine with a 9 am kickoff.

But I feel sorry for those attending the Cal tailgate at Patrick Swayze Field, especially with it being the 10th anniversary of Swayze's death this month.

71Bear
Crusty old Colonel said:

this sucks donkeys.....

Kentucky at Mississippi State, 4 pm ET/3 pm CT on SEC Network or SEC Network Alternate*
South Carolina at Missouri, 4 pm ET/3 pm CT on SEC Network or SEC Network Alternate*

Actually, this is good news...

Cal plays ASU on the following Friday night. An early road game gets the Bears back to Berkeley early Saturday evening rather than the middle of the night thus allowing Cal to get back to their normal schedule Sunday morning.
cal83dls79
CALiforniALUM said:

when traveling, yes. Not a big ask. Many wanted the Oxford experience. Not happening. Flew to Nashville for this to see Niece and two old cal/Vandy med school doctors.
Fyght4Cal
71Bear said:

Crusty old Colonel said:

this sucks donkeys.....

Actually, this is good news...

Cal plays ASU on the following Friday night. An early road game gets the Bears back to Berkeley early Saturday evening rather than the middle of the night thus allowing Cal to get back to their normal schedule Sunday morning.
This really works in our favor. We already practice early in the morning in Berkeley. We've already won back East under these types of shenanigans. The team gets home about the time a 1pm Saturday home game would end. Thanks Ole Miss!
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
BellowingBerkeleyBear
I'm more than fine with the 11 AM local time kickoff. Spending time seeing the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis on Friday. But going there to support the team in a hostile stadium...and have some Memphis BBQ....so happy this gives team the chance to get back Saturday evening prior to having to play a Friday evening game, especially after such a long night in Seattle and then fairly long flight back. Will also check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyceum%E2%80%93The_Circle_Historic_District Not that interested in polite conversation with folks who really despise you behind the smiles of Southern Hospitality. At least at Oregon they let you know how they really feel, as raw and unprintable as that is.
510 Bear
Is the team literally jumping on a plane the minute the game ends?
71Bear
510 Bear said:

Since they fly on a charter, they leave as soon as possible following the game.
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

510 Bear said:

Since they fly on a charter, they leave as soon as possible following the game.
yes, they change, get on a bus and go directly to a charter. They fly into and stay in Memphis (which mens an early morning), but may be able to fly out of a local airport that accommodates 747's.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.