OC wish list:

3,832 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by calumnus
Ccajon2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With all of the p-ssing and moaning about our current OC, then who do you want as a replacement? Here's mine: Troy Walters former furd WR, U Nebraska OC. Who's yours?
okaydo
Jay Gruden
Ccajon2
okaydo said:

Jay Gruden

Good one. Cal would be paying him more then the HC though.
LACalFan
Ccajon2 said:

okaydo said:

Jay Gruden

Good one. Cal would be paying him more then the HC though.
We could offer him less if he agrees to live at his bro's house
WavyBear
Matt Canada.
Mike Sanford Jr.
Jedd Fisch
Kevin Johns
Rushinbear
WavyBear said:

Matt Canada.
Mike Sanford Jr.
Jedd Fisch
Kevin Johns

Who's available now? That is, if JW wants to pull a Leach "impeach?"

For all those who know where my sentiments lie, just know that that last crack was just too good to pass up, political preferences or no.
dimitrig

Steve Mariucci is available
PtownBear1
Anyone with previous success an FBS coordinator.
510 Bear
Troy Taylor.
Bobodeluxe
https://www.warnerbros.com/tv/oc-complete-series
wifeisafurd
510 Bear said:

Troy Taylor.
Waiting for a bigger HC position, like Cal, in the event the offense never works out? (I say this even though I like Wilcox a lot).
goldenjax
Jedd Fisch.
Bear8
Jedd Fisch, yes.
packawana
Bear8 said:

Jedd Fisch, yes.

He would be my top choice too, but I could never figure out if the defense on that UCLA team was just straight up bad or if they were gassed from being on the field a lot.
calgo430
1. tony franklin
2. yahudi
BearSD

MilleniaBear
I like this idea. I think he would be a good mentor for JW, provide the NFL cred that recruits like to see, and did his best work as an OC. He still lives in CA and would probably travel less for Cal than for NFL.
packawana
Why would Lane leave a HC gig in Florida? He's basically getting he wants in a low-stress environment.
calumnus
wifeisafurd said:

510 Bear said:

Troy Taylor.
Waiting for a bigger HC position, like Cal, in the event the offense never works out? (I say this even though I like Wilcox a lot).

We might have grabbed him last year, before he took the Sac State HC job. He has a seven year contract paying him $240,000 per year. Baldwin makes $675,000 per year.

Taylor loves Cal.
Golden One
calumnus said:

wifeisafurd said:

510 Bear said:

Troy Taylor.

We might have grabbed him last year, before he took the Sac State HC job. He has a seven year contract paying him $240,000 per year. Baldwin makes $675,000 per year.

Taylor loves Cal.
I know he loves Cal, but would that really be enough for him to accept the OC position at Cal when he left the OC job at a better program (Utah) to become the HC at Sac State?
calumnus
packawana said:

Bear8 said:

Jedd Fisch, yes.

He would be my top choice too, but I could never figure out if the defense on that UCLA team was just straight up bad or if they were gassed from being on the field a lot.

In Fisch's offense, Modster had a 152.6 QB rating as a true freshman, better than Rosen's 147.0 with UCLA fans looking forward to his future at QB. He beat Cal in 2017 when Frisch was interim HC and Rosen was knocked out in the second quarter.

The UCLA defense was bad, though they played some powerhouses (Sagarin rates it as the 12th toughest that year. By comparison, Cal's schedule was #40). The TOP was among the worst in the country, but it appears to be long clock consuming drives by their opponents who ran the ball against them 49.9 times per game on average (second most in the country) and 64% of the plays in an effort to keep Rosen off the field.

I'd take Fisch ASAP. He just manages the clock for the Rams right now. Maybe bring him in as a "consultant" and have him scheme, game plan and call plays down from the box?
calumnus
Golden One said:

calumnus said:

wifeisafurd said:

510 Bear said:

Troy Taylor.

Taylor loves Cal.
I know he loves Cal, but would that really be enough for him to accept the OC position at Cal when he left the OC job at a better program (Utah) to become the HC at Sac State?

Notice I said "might." But why is Utah a better program than Cal? We need to unpack that. However here is a great article about Taylor leaving Utah that gives great insight including the two times he left Cal:

https://espn700sports.com/news/what-we-know-about-the-departure-of-utah-oc-troy-taylor/
going4roses
Some thoughts

Someone who has the best chance to bridge that gap from the old coaches/systems/personalities ... solidifies this class no defections flips unless some higher ranked kids flip to us

Recruiting cred (assist coaches) dare I say microwave recruiters

A playbook kids are excited about and instant execution/production.

Play to the strengths of the personal/ dynamic and creative playing.

Coaching acumen to not run off any players

Who that describes? I have no idea
BearSD
calumnus said:

But why is Utah a better program than Cal? We need to unpack that.
Utah is more successful because they have an excellent head coach who has been there for 15 years.

On top of that, Whittingham had the luxury of not having to build the Utah program up from a bad place, because he took over from Urban Meyer right after the Utes' 12-0 season in 2004 that included a win in the Fiesta Bowl and a final AP ranking of #4.

Golden One
calumnus said:

Notice I said "might." But why is Utah a better program than Cal? We need to unpack that. However here is a great article about Taylor leaving Utah that gives great insight including the two times he left Cal:

https://espn700sports.com/news/what-we-know-about-the-departure-of-utah-oc-troy-taylor/
Since 2014, Utah's record is 48-23; in that same time period, Cal's record is 34-34. They have been in a bowl game for 5 consecutive years. We have been in 2 bowl games during the same period. There is no question that Utah's football program is better than Cal's. I'd like to see us become as consistently as good as they are.
TheSouseFamily
calgo430 said:

1. tony franklin
2. yahudi

Franklin has his Liddle' Tennessee offense somewhere around 104th in the nation in scoring this year.
calumnus
Golden One said:

calumnus said:

Since 2014, Utah's record is 48-23; in that same time period, Cal's record is 34-34. They have been in a bowl game for 5 consecutive years. We have been in 2 bowl games during the same period. There is no question that Utah's football program is better than Cal's. I'd like to see us become as consistently as good as they are.

Ok, the reason you say Utah is a better program than us right now is they are winning, while we are around .500.

Our hypothesis is we would be winning too with a good OC since we have a good defense. Thus, if Troy Taylor is a good OC and he left Utah to come to Cal, we would then be winning. Problem solved.

Problem is they are now winning with Andy Ludwig at OC. Maybe he is better than he was at Cal. Maybe he just continued what Taylor had in place. Is there more to it? Because we want to make sure we have the elements in place to be the better program.

calumnus
BearSD said:

calumnus said:

But why is Utah a better program than Cal? We need to unpack that.
Utah is more successful because they have an excellent head coach who has been there for 15 years.

On top of that, Whittingham had the luxury of not having to build the Utah program up from a bad place, because he took over from Urban Meyer right after the Utes' 12-0 season in 2004 that included a win in the Fiesta Bowl and a final AP ranking of #4.

And moving into the Pac-12 has been beneficial for attracting talent (it could have easily gone the other way if they were losing). Makes sense.
Golden One
calumnus said:

Golden One said:

Ok, the reason you say Utah is a better program than us right now is they are winning, while we are around .500.

Our hypothesis is we would be winning too with a good OC since we have a good defense. Thus, if Troy Taylor is a good OC and he left Utah to come to Cal, we would then be winning. Problem solved.

Problem is they are now winning with Andy Ludwig at OC. Maybe he is better than he was at Cal. Maybe he just continued what Taylor had in place. Is there more to it? Because we want to make sure we have the elements in place to be the better program.

Nope. There's no more to it; it's all about W's and L's. I suspect we would be better with Troy Taylor at OC. I'm just not confident he would come to Cal right now. I truly wish he would. Just about anyone has to be better than Baldwin.
Oski87
Golden One said:

calumnus said:

wifeisafurd said:

510 Bear said:

Troy Taylor.

Plus he brought his friends there to help him. It is not just about him. People left jobs to come with him.

Taylor loves Cal.
calumnus
Golden One said:

calumnus said:

Golden One said:

Nope. There's no more to it; it's all about W's and L's. I suspect we would be better with Troy Taylor at OC. I'm just not confident he would come to Cal right now. I truly wish he would. Just about anyone has to be better than Baldwin.

I think last year was our window for Taylor. I don't think he would have signed a seven year contract if he wasn't looking to stay.
PtownBear1
calumnus said:

Golden One said:

calumnus said:

wifeisafurd said:

510 Bear said:

Troy Taylor.

Taylor loves Cal.

At least based on that article, he seems too laid back. I anticipate Taylor would have some of the same issues working with Wilcox that he had with Whittingham.
Rushinbear
Golden One said:

calumnus said:

wifeisafurd said:

510 Bear said:

Troy Taylor.

Taylor loves Cal.
Only possibility would be thinking that when JW moves out (one way or another), he moves up to hc. Trouble is if JW moves out the other way, he would have to go, too. How much does he like it at SS and/or how much does he think that, if he succeeds there, he can move higher than Cal.
Ccajon2
I've always seen TT as a possibility as a Cal FB HC once he was seen as good enough to be Utah's OC. I suspect if the OC position becomes open, he would apply.

AunBear89
Don't worry about it. GoldenOnenote HATES everything Cal. If we had signed TT last season, were undefeated and in top 10, Onenote would be moaning about something else. It's what he does He hates Berkeley, he hates California, he hates Cal.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.