OT: 49ers

12,863 Views | 140 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by NVBear78
hanky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is this team for reals or have they just played a bunch of crappy teams? Damn they look good though. Like Super Bowl good.
upsetof86
So far it's the crappy team theory
okaydo
hanky1 said:

Is this team for reals or have they just played a bunch of crappy teams? Damn they look good though. Like Super Bowl good.

Here are the win-loss records of the opponents so far of 4 NFL teams (assuming the Browns lose tonight):

Patriots opponents 5-18 (21.7%) -- The Buffalo Bills are responsible for 4 of those 5 wins.
49ers opponents 5-15 (25%)
Packers opponents 13-12 (52%)
Rams opponents 15-10 (60%)

I have no idea if the 49ers are good. Remember they last played when Cal, the Packers and Rams were all undefeated and they next play on a short week.

Also remember, everybody was slurping the Cowboys a few weeks ago until they faced real teams.

GBear4Life
Niner fan here.

Crappy teams.

I'm not convinced. When a team stuffs their run and Jimmy G is forced to win a game, I'll be convinced.

Browns O Line is one of the worst in the league.

Bosa is overrated. He did nothing in this game but made the highlight reel because the Browns LT is asleep at the wheel. Nobody's home. Even Booger McStu p i d noted "he didn't really make a great move there but..." One good play he made squeezing through two paper mache OL and Baker walked right into him.
GBear4Life
Goff is going to smoke the Niners D next week
aweissburg
So far they've won the games they should against crappy teams. Having said they won 2 convincingly (winning against Steelers after 5 tos is impressive). Bottom line is defense is for real and Mosley was capable in stepping in for Witherspoon.

Assuming they stay healthy, they can count on 4 wins. AZ (2x), Panthers and Wash.

Whether they can win the remaining games is a totally different issue. Rams will be tough but losing Clay gives 9ers a better shot. Rams strength (offense) plays to 9ers. Same on weaknesses.
PiLam 86, #not4years
GBear4Life
I'm not convinced the secondary is any good. Their front 7 is definitely improved, but I'm not convinced they're elite yet either.
okaydo
aweissburg said:

So far they've won the games they should against crappy teams. Having said they won 2 convincingly (winning against Steelers after 5 tos is impressive). Bottom line is defense is for real and Mosley was capable in stepping in for Witherspoon.

Assuming they stay healthy, they can count on 4 wins. AZ (2x), Panthers and Wash.

Whether they can win the remaining games is a totally different issue. Rams will be tough but losing Clay gives 9ers a better shot. Rams strength (offense) plays to 9ers. Same on weaknesses.

I think the Packers benefitted by losing Clay. And, um, I think the Rams might benefit, too. He's a good at times but also bad at times. And a more disciplined backup may be better.

But we'll finally see a Goff vs. Garapollo matchup. Finally.

Also, this is the guy (former Beau Baldwin player) stepping in for Matthews.

heartofthebear
Injuries will decide their fate, as is the case with every football team on every level.
I think the 49ers D, if it stays healthy, will keep them in games and then anything can happen.
I don't think they can win a shootout.
They are probably better than most teams, but next week begins to answer the question--Can they play with playoff caliber teams?
bearister
GBear4Life said:

..When a team stuffs their run and Jimmy G is forced to win a game, I'll be convinced. ..

Why so negative about the G Man?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Cave Bear
This is the type of Offense we should run
Larno
I wonder how negative you would be if you weren't a Niner fan. But I guess it makes sense to also be a Cal fan so any small amount of success by either team can be dismissed.
okaydo
These are hanky1's 2 favorite people, by the way.

bearister
49ers RB Matt Breida hit a max speed of 22.3 MPH on his 83-yard rush TD in last night's 31-3 win over the Browns. That's the fastest of any ball carrier over the last 3 seasons, per Next Gen Stats. Axios

*Usain Boldt's average speed in the 100m was 23.35 MPH (without pads on).
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
82gradDLSdad
bearister said:

49ers RB Matt Breida hit a max speed of 22.3 MPH on his 83-yard rush TD in last night's 31-3 win over the Browns. That's the fastest of any ball carrier over the last 3 seasons, per Next Gen Stats. Axios

Big deal. I hit 36 mph on my bike yesterday. Gravity is my co pilot.
calumnus
bearister said:

Max speed versus Bolts' average over the entire race including from the blocks?

If only Al Davis were alive, we'd see what Bolt could do at WR
philbert
Not sure how good they really are, but Shanahan is one hell of a play caller.

I would also add that having been a losing team for many years, they need to learn how to win games. They lost a lot of close games the last two years. This year, they're learning how to win those games (Tampa/Pittsburgh). If some of the WRs emerge, they can be scary team in the playoffs.
C6Bear
GBear4Life said:

I'm not convinced the secondary is any good. Their front 7 is definitely improved, but I'm not convinced they're elite yet either.
I'm convinced you are not a 9ers fan
philbert
sycasey
Seems like they are Actually Good. Yes, they've played weak opponents but have gotten two blowouts, another pretty convincing road win (TB), and a win despite a disastrous turnover game (Pit).

Elite? Not sure yet. But definitely a playoff contender. The defensive line is very good and that can mask a lot of other defensive issues. Shanahan's playcalling and offensive design will also keep the offense productive, even if Jimmy G isn't great (jury still out on him).
GBear4Life
Wow, media has been on their knees with their mouths open talking about KS today. They just love reactionary narratives.
C6Bear
GBear4Life said:

Wow, media has been on their knees with their mouths open talking about KS today. They just love reactionary narratives.
Who's offense would you rather have, Shanahan's or Baldwin's? Case closed....
ColoradoBear
I'm predicting a Packers vs Niners NFC title game, and long thread on BI about it...
GBear4Life
C6Bear said:

GBear4Life said:

That's a silly question.

Though I honestly think a Shanahan led Cal offense this year results in a similar dumpster fire.
C6Bear
GBear4Life said:

C6Bear said:

GBear4Life said:

That's a silly question.

Though I honestly think a Shanahan led Cal offense this year results in a similar dumpster fire.
That's a silly answer. Any amount of non-Baldwin imagination added to this offense could turn even this offense into something respectable.
sycasey
C6Bear said:

GBear4Life said:

C6Bear said:

GBear4Life said:

That's a silly question.

That's a silly answer. Any amount of non-Baldwin imagination added to this offense could turn even this offense into something respectable.

Agreed. With Shanahan you see a clear game plan, a way he wants to attack the defense, and an identity that carries from game to game. Even with lesser talent that can at least get you a respectable offense.

Baldwin's offense appears to have no identity.
GBear4Life
Lol good lord KS is coaching NFL players, with talent and execution galaxies ahead of Cal's personnel (and most colleges) good god.

It's like coaches are out there playing!
sycasey
GBear4Life said:

Lol good lord KS is coaching NFL players, with talent and execution galaxies ahead of Cal's personnel (and most colleges) good god.

It's like coaches are out there playing!
He's also trying to beat teams with talented NFL players.

Historically it's been easier for coaches to go from the pros to college than vice versa.
GBear4Life
yeah the game plan was clear last night. "If we pound them for 10 yards a pop on the ground, let's keep doing it until they stop it"

What a genius!

Like if BB could run at will or pass at will or get them to execute with any level of consistency we wouldn't be talking about this.
Beardog26
This
Beardog26
While true, the long Breida TD was definitely the result of a really good play call and great execution against an NFL defense. That opens up the passing game, allowing for successful plays like Kittle's TD. Much of this is related to the play caller.
sycasey
GBear4Life said:

yeah the game plan was clear last night. "If we pound them for 10 yards a pop on the ground, let's keep doing it until they stop it"

What a genius!

Like if BB could run at will or pass at will or get them to execute with any level of consistency we wouldn't be talking about this.
The more subjects you speak on, the more it becomes obvious you don't know anything about anything.
GBear4Life
Beardog26 said:

While true, the long Breida TD was definitely the result of a really good play call and great execution against an NFL defense. That opens up the passing game, allowing for successful plays like Kittle's TD. Much of this is related to the play caller.
It was a scripted play. Browns D was out of position.

As fans, we will find ways to justify a conclusion we've already reached. KS is a good play caller, we already know that. So when his offense succeeds, it must be uniquely special to KS.

We have no track record on BB. Offense has not been good. Conclusion: BB must be bad.
GBear4Life
sycasey said:

..and an identity that carries from game to game...

gibberish
Beardog26
Yes, Breida's TD was a scripted play, based on extensive film review of the Cleveland defense. Kittle's TD much later in the half was very likely not scripted, but certainly in the game plan and also based on extensive film review.

From my experience as a Pac-12 football player and long time high school coach, that is what coaches do. It has nothing to do with me being a fan. Growing up a Ram's fan in LA, I am not a die hard 49ers fan, but I can acknowledge good play calling when I see it, rather than simply argue with everyone that doesn't support my narrative.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.