OT: 49ers

13,048 Views | 140 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by NVBear78
Strykur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
philbert said:

Strykur said:

GBear4Life said:

Strange trade for Emmanuel Sanders. Coming off achilles tear, 32 years old, FA after season. Would prefer Sanu.
Sanders was in Atlanta when Kyle Shanahan was offensive coordinator, he knows the offense and is an immediate plug-and-play.
Do you mean Sanu? Don't think Sanders was ever a Falcon.

However, Sanders OC this year came from the Shanahan's SF staff (QB coach), so the offense is familiar to him.
Yeah it was Sanu but the Shanahan coaching tree was still there in Denver for Sanders, thus the familiarity.
GBear4Life
familiarity for WRs with a coach's system is not super important.
calumnus
GBear4Life said:

familiarity for WRs with a coach's system is not super important.

That really depends. In some systems, the WRs have options and the QB and WRs are supposed to make the same read. If they don't you have the QB "missing his WR by a mile."
sycasey
49ers destroy Panthers in all phases of the game, now stand at 7-0.

Guys I think this team might be good.
ducky23
sycasey said:

I dunno. That Bosa guy seems overrated to me

Play design matters. Probably more so than play calling. And that has always been my main gripe with Baldwin.
Unit2Sucks
sycasey said:

Yes, they have a shot at the playoffs seeing as all 36 prior 7-0 teams since the merger made the playoffs.

Looking at the data, 10 won super bowls, 8 lost super bowls, 7 lost conf champ games and 11 failed to win a playoff game. So it would seem the niners are in pretty good company overall.
GBear4Life
All of a sudden the Niners can run the ball at will
westcoast101
Shanahan's play calling is so damn good. Couple that with a defense filled with studs (Buckner, Bosa, Armstead, etc.), and these guys are legit contenders. Definitely helps take away the sting from another disappointing Cal season too!
sycasey
westcoast101 said:

Shanahan's play calling is so damn good.

Yeah, several times a game I think, "What a great call, totally crossed up their tendencies, never saw it coming."

I almost never think that with Cal's offense.
82gradDLSdad
sycasey said:

westcoast101 said:

Yeah, several times a game I think, "What a great call, totally crossed up their tendencies, never saw it coming."

I agree with ducky. The play design of the 49ers plays is amazing. Flow one way, some guys going another, fake another way, throw/run another. It's impressive. And yes, I've never said that about a Baldwin play. There is a reason the 49ers can score with two scrub OTs, their star FB out and a bunch of new WRs. It's not just talent as some of us have been saying forever.
ducky23
82gradDLSdad said:

sycasey said:

westcoast101 said:

I agree with ducky. The play design of the 49ers plays is amazing. Flow one way, some guys going another, fake another way, throw/run another. It's impressive. And yes, I've never said that about a Baldwin play. There is a reason the 49ers can score with two scrub OTs, their star FB out and a bunch of new WRs. It's not just talent as some of us have been saying forever.

Yep. And then someone will say, oh well all that play action and misdirection works only because the niners have a good run game.

But one of the reasons the niners have a good run game is because of all the misdirection. Defenders can't overcommit.
That's what makes those quick hitters so destructive. The defenders hesitate for a nanosecond and boom, the running back is gone.

With cal, you have like 9 defenders crashing down on the run cause there is zero attempt at deception.
sycasey
ducky23 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

sycasey said:

westcoast101 said:

Yep. And then someone will say, oh well all that play action and misdirection works only because the niners have a good run game.

But one of the reasons the niners have a good run game is because of all the misdirection. Defenders can't overcommit.
That's what makes those quick hitters so destructive. The defenders hesitate for a nanosecond and boom, the running back is gone.

With cal, you have like 9 defenders crashing down on the run cause there is zero attempt at deception.
The "it's all about talent" excuse should have gone away after we lost to OSU. The Beavers are not any more talented than the Bears, but their offensive design had lots of deception built in to confuse the defense and create successful plays despite being overmatched at the line. 21 points still isn't amazing (especially given the extra plays generated by all of Cal's three-and-outs), but it's more than we can usually generate.

Baldwin just sucks. I'm not saying the program is without other problems, but he definitely sucks.
bearister
I'm losing confidence in my theory that Jimmy G sucks.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
calumnus
ducky23 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

sycasey said:

westcoast101 said:

Exactly. It all works together; scheme/play design and play-calling (selection/sequence). The Niners have talent but it is the NFL, everyone does to a large extent. As with the last time they had a resurgence, it was coaching, plus coaching finding player's Strengths and putting them in a position to succeed.
NYCGOBEARS
bearister said:

He's made some incredible throws.
bearister
NYCGOBEARS said:

bearister said:

He's made some incredible throws.

...and unlike Carr, he is not skittish about getting hit. He got lit up a few times tonight.
sycasey
calumnus said:

ducky23 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

sycasey said:

westcoast101 said:

Exactly. It all works together; scheme/play design and play-calling (selection/sequence). The Niners have talent but it is the NFL, everyone does to a large extent. As with the last time they had a resurgence, it was coaching, plus coaching finding player's Strengths and putting them in a position to succeed.

Yeah, remember what they looked like under Singletary and then Harbaugh? Night and day. Coaching matters.

8-0. Big games from Jimmy G and Emmanuel Sanders.
calumnus
sycasey said:

calumnus said:

ducky23 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

sycasey said:

westcoast101 said:

Yeah, remember what they looked like under Singletary and then Harbaugh? Night and day. Coaching matters.

8-0. Big games from Jimmy G and Emmanuel Sanders.

And QBs who play in good schemes not only look better, they get better as they grow in confidence. We saw that with Montana, we saw that with Brady and we are seeing it with Garappolo.
bearister
Isabella made a pretty sweet catch and run in that game.

In his senior year of high school, Isabella won the state title (Ohio) in the 100 meter dash, beating fellow sprinter and future Cleveland Browns cornerback Denzel Ward in a close race. Wikipedia

okaydo
I'm posting this here so that 95% of BI members can learn about the red lovers.

sycasey
Jimmy G comes through with a late game-winning drive (granted, he created some of his own problems with his two picks).

We are now looking at the strong possibility that both Jimmy G and Derek Carr are in the playoffs. What would Bearister think?
sycasey
Interesting to go back and read some of the opinions in this thread from early in the season, after the 49ers have gotten the #1 seed.

Is the defense that good? Maybe not, though some of that can be chalked up to injuries sapping their pass-rush strength.

Can Jimmy G come through late in games when they need him? Unquestionably yes.

Is Kyle Shanahan overrated as a playcaller? No. He leaned on the running game early and after teams keyed on that he unleashed an improved passing attack.

Will Emmanuel Sanders work out as a new receiving option? Definitely yes. The Niners have found a nice top three WR rotation in Sanders, Samuel, and Bourne, plus of course Kittle always a big threat at TE. Very different from early in the season.

Nick Bosa overrated? No.
joe amos yaks
They can't close.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
71Bear
sycasey said:

Interesting to go back and read some of the opinions in this thread from early in the season, after the 49ers have gotten the #1 seed.

Is the defense that good? Maybe not, though some of that can be chalked up to injuries sapping their pass-rush strength.

Is Kyle Shanahan overrated as a playcaller? No. He leaned on the running game early and after teams keyed on that he unleashed an improved passing attack.

Will Emmanuel Sanders work out as a new receiving option? Definitely yes. The Niners have found a nice top three WR rotation in Sanders, Samuel, and Bourne, plus of course Kittle always a big threat at TE. Very different from early in the season.

Nick Bosa overrated? No.
My favorite was the constant harping about the schedule and the notion that SF would fold in the second half. The Niners kicked ass, losing only to Baltimore and their annual egg laying contest, this time v. Atl. I have no idea whether SF will win in the playoffs but they are certainly playing at a much higher level than the last several years.....
sycasey
71Bear said:

sycasey said:

Nick Bosa overrated? No.
My favorite was the constant harping about the schedule and the notion that SF would fold in the second half. The Niners kicked ass, losing only to Baltimore and their annual egg laying contest, this time v. Atl. I have no idea whether SF will win in the playoffs but they are certainly playing at a much higher level than the last several years.....

And to be fair: the early schedule WAS weak. But the way the Niners dominated it told me they'd probably be okay when facing tougher opponents, and they were.
71Bear
sycasey said:

71Bear said:

sycasey said:

Nick Bosa overrated? No.

And to be fair: the early schedule WAS weak. But the way the Niners dominated it told me they'd probably be okay when facing tougher opponents, and they were.
Exactly. It was obvious they would be a load for everyone, no matter how good the opponent.
bearister
Now we get to see if Jimmy G is a playoff QB or a choke. I'm hoping he will be clutch. The odds are he will be.
71Bear
bearister said:

Now we get to see if Jimmy G is a playoff QB or a choke. I'm hoping he will be clutch. The odds are he will be.
Given the game v. Seattle was tantamount to a playoff game, I suspect he will do very well. The issue is whether the D can make the stops necessary to win.
sycasey
71Bear said:

bearister said:

Given the game v. Seattle was tantamount to a playoff game, I suspect he will do very well. The issue is whether the D can make the stops necessary to win.

He's led drives to put his team ahead in the final two minutes four times this season (Pit, Ari, NO, LA). And also led a potential winning drive in the first Seattle game, but the backup kicker missed the FG. It doesn't seem like nerves are an issue with Garoppolo.
MSaviolives
MSaviolives
sycasey said:

71Bear said:

bearister said:

He's led drives to put his team ahead in the final two minutes four times this season (Pit, Ari, NO, LA). And also led a potential winning drive in the first Seattle game, but the backup kicker missed the FG. It doesn't seem like nerves are an issue with Garoppolo.
I agree nerves won't be an issue. I fear the opposite: he could throw 3 interceptions as a result of his Farvesque gunslinger confidence. But he has been great and I think he will play well in the playoffs.
MSaviolives
For those of you who have access to The Athletic, there is a wonderful article linking Dan Buntz' iconic goal line tackle in the Superbowl to Greenlaw's tackle, with a nice interview of Dan, who watched the game on tv with his cancer-stricken brother. https://theathletic.com/1500811/2019/12/31/dre-greenlaws-goal-line-stand-saved-the-49ers-and-left-dan-bunz-cheering/
sycasey
MSaviolives said:

sycasey said:

71Bear said:

bearister said:

I agree nerves won't be an issue. I fear the opposite: he could throw 3 interceptions as a result of his Farvesque gunslinger confidence. But he has been great and I think he will play well in the playoffs.

The picks have been the issue with him, yes. It was good to see zero interceptions against Seattle, and none that were particularly close either.

The other issue I see is taking sacks when he could get rid of the ball. Hopefully something that improves with experience.
sycasey
GBear4Life said:

Niner fan here.

Crappy teams.

I'm not convinced. When a team stuffs their run and Jimmy G is forced to win a game, I'll be convinced.

Browns O Line is one of the worst in the league.

Bosa is overrated. He did nothing in this game but made the highlight reel because the Browns LT is asleep at the wheel. Nobody's home. Even Booger McStu p i d noted "he didn't really make a great move there but..." One good play he made squeezing through two paper mache OL and Baker walked right into him.

Bump. The commentary in this thread remains amusing.
heartofthebear
Pigskin Pete said:

hanky1 said:

Is this team for reals or have they just played a bunch of crappy teams? Damn they look good though. Like Super Bowl good.
Considering they just matched their win total from last year, I don't think it matters. I don't think anyone is expecting them to go to the Super Bowl.
You're probably right

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.