OT: 49ers

13,200 Views | 140 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by NVBear78
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey said:

tim94501 said:

Notice misdirection works with a banged up OLINE. Too bad our clown of a OC doesn't get it
Note how many of the running plays specifically attack the edge. They may start like they're about to go up the middle, but then there is a counter to go around the edge. Then after that works and the defense expects it, they go up the middle.

Shanahan is a smart playcaller. It does help to have a RB with speed like Breida.

Yes, this isn't rocket science, even if our OC is paid two or three times what we pay a Nobel prize winning physicist.
hanky1
okaydo said:

These are hanky1's 2 favorite people, by the way.

Does anyone else think green and yellow are a hideous color combination?
GBear4Life
bearister said:

It's even easier to say that Jimmy G isn't very good, especially since it's true.
Bearister, what's Jimmy G's QB rating and stats in his 15 or so starts
bearister
GBear4Life said:

bearister said:

It's even easier to say that Jimmy G isn't very good, especially since it's true.
Bearister, what's Jimmy G's QB rating and stats in his 15 or so starts

Save this post for future reference: He will either get hurt or toss INT at crunch time. He has "Derek Carr heart breaker " written all over him. If he does well in the playoffs then I am wrong and good for Jed York. I hope our boy Goff stuffs him.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bearister
Niners painfully overdue for a L. Watch for our boy to light them up tomorrow. 2 bitcoin on the horns.
Pigskin Pete
bearister said:

Niners painfully overdue for a L. Watch for our boy to light them up tomorrow. 2 bitcoin on the horns.
"Our" boy?

He stopped being my boy when he went to the NFL. Laundry over alumni.
71Bear
Pigskin Pete said:

bearister said:

"Our" boy?

He is LA's guy now. He is no longer a NorCal guy.

Yep, laundry over alums.....
bearister
Pigskin Pete said:

bearister said:

"Our" boy?

You don't hear a lot of that talk when it comes to AR.
panda
I still cheer for Goff but I cheer for his team to lose. That being said, his oline is going to get destroyed tomorrow. I can see this being either a low scoring game or a Niners blow out.
71Bear
bearister said:

Pigskin Pete said:

bearister said:

"Our" boy?

SF and the Packers have only played 6 regular season games and two playoff games since AR became a starter in 2008. Meanwhile, SF and LA play twice a season. And no, I never root for Rodgers if a Green Bay win could negatively impact the Niners. He is just another player, no different than any other QB in the league.

Pigskin Pete
bearister said:

Pigskin Pete said:

bearister said:

"Our" boy?

Same deal for me. If I have no rooting interest in his opponent, I may root for him for a day, but he stopped being my guy the day he stopped playing for Cal.
bearister
71Bear said:

bearister said:

Pigskin Pete said:

bearister said:

"Our" boy?

SF and the Packers have only played 6 regular season games and two playoff games since AR became a starter in 2008. Meanwhile, SF and LA play twice a season. And no, I never root for Rodgers if a Green Bay win could negatively impact the Niners. He is just another player, no different than any other QB in the league.

I would have felt the same way if the Raiders were not leaving for Vegas. I'm wondering if the fact the Rams are my new adoptive team has anything to do with me feelings in the matter?
NYCGOBEARS
bearister said:

71Bear said:

bearister said:

Pigskin Pete said:

bearister said:

"Our" boy?

I would have felt the same way if the Raiders were not leaving for Vegas. I'm wondering if the fact the Rams are my new adoptive team has anything to do with me feelings in the matter?

Time to face facts. You're an LA guy now.
bearister
NYCGOBEARS said:

Time to face facts. You're an LA guy now.

71Bear
bearister said:

71Bear said:

bearister said:

Pigskin Pete said:

bearister said:

"Our" boy?

It does. Nothing wrong with that......
heartofthebear
Well, I suppose the question has been answered.
It really looks like the D is for real at least.
I think they are a bit beat up on O though.

Green Bay may be a better test but I think they are now in the conversation as a playoff contender.
aweissburg
Yup. Defense is for real and they're relatively healthy. Ward will only get better. And Witherspoon is sitting there ready to come back.

Offense played surprisingly well with back up OLs. They have a favorable schedule and should get back both their OTs and Juice back before it gets tough. Can see them going 8-0 and winning another 3+ on back half. Grap needs to work a bit more on his timing. Not a huge surprise there.
PiLam 86, #not4years
heartofthebear
aweissburg said:

Yup. Defense is for real and they're relatively healthy. Ward will only get better. And Witherspoon is sitting there ready to come back.

Offense played surprisingly well with back up OLs. They have a favorable schedule and should get back both their OTs and Juice back before it gets tough. Can see them going 8-0 and winning another 3+ on back half. Grap needs to work a bit more on his timing. Not a huge surprise there.
Pounding the rock and playing good D is a good formula for success and one that Cal is close to doing. The problem for Cal is that their OL is seriously banged up and it's hard to pound the rock that way.
Pigskin Pete
heartofthebear said:

aweissburg said:

Pounding the rock and playing good D is a good formula for success and one that Cal is close to doing. The problem for Cal is that their OL is seriously banged up and it's hard to pound the rock that way.
49ers are missing both starting tackles.
calumnus
heartofthebear said:

aweissburg said:

"Pounding the rock" with just 5 blockers on the same play over and over is a good way to get OL and RBs on the DL.

Our TEs (when we play them) are essentially big receivers:
Tonges 6'5" 230
Reinwald 6'3" 235

Last year we had:
Bunting 6'7" 255
McMorris 5'11" 290
Both more effective blockers.

I was hoping to see:
Moore 6'4" 250
Mojarro 6'4" 245

Or maybe go with a jumbo package and play a 6th OL, someone who could catch a short pass on a play fake?
calumnus
Garoppolo was a 2 star QB prospect.
heartofthebear
Pigskin Pete said:

heartofthebear said:

aweissburg said:

I realize that but Cal is not able to generate depth at OL like SF can. I don't know what sort of magic potion the SF OL Coach is using but Cal doesn't have it.
71Bear
heartofthebear said:

Pigskin Pete said:

heartofthebear said:

aweissburg said:

I realize that but Cal is not able to generate depth at OL like SF can. I don't know what sort of magic potion the SF OL Coach is using but Cal doesn't have it.
No magic potion necessary, just the ability to identify talent.
calumnus
71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

Pigskin Pete said:

heartofthebear said:

aweissburg said:

That is far more critical when the number of OL we bring in is small. You have to hit a high percentage and hope they stay healthy. A great, fast HS WR is likely to be a great fast college WR. An OL is far more difficult to evaluate against HS competition and the need to increase size and strength for college adds another level of unpredictability. It is the most difficult position to fill with JC (or grad) transfers. Harbaugh's strategy of bringing in as many big athletic guys as possible, no matter the label (OL, DL, TE) and then getting them in a weight program and being very fluid as to what position they play, including potentially on the DL, makes sense.

We should also focus the preferred walk-on positions on big bodies, especially big smart guys that get overlooked because they play at small schools in 7-7 leagues. Preferred admission to Cal is a great selling point. There are 85 scholarships, 105 players can participate in practice. Nebraska has often has more than 140 on the team. Most of the additional players are freshman walkon OL in the weight program. They are in the weight room during practices so there is no impact on the rest of the team.

If the pool is bigger, the hit rate does not have to be as great. You are able to rely more on your coach's ability to spot potential, teach and develop OL as your are the ability to pull in "can't miss" prospects.
71Bear
calumnus said:

71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

Pigskin Pete said:

heartofthebear said:

aweissburg said:

That is far more critical when the number of OL we bring in is small. You have to hit a high percentage and hope they stay healthy. A great, fast HS WR is likely to be a great fast college WR. An OL is far more difficult to evaluate against HS competition and the need to increase size and strength for college adds another level of unpredictability. It is the most difficult position to fill with JC (or grad) transfers. Harbaugh's strategy of bringing in as many big athletic guys as possible, no matter the label (OL, DL, TE) and then getting them in a weight program and being very fluid as to what position they play, including potentially on the DL, makes sense.

We should also focus the preferred walk-on positions on big bodies, especially big smart guys that get overlooked because they play at small schools in 7-7 leagues. Preferred admission to Cal is a great selling point.

If the pool is bigger, the hit rate does not have to be as great. You are able to rely more on your coach's ability to spot potential, teach and develop OL as your are the ability to pull in "can't miss" prospects.

We agree 100%. I have been preaching what you just articulated for as long as I can remember. The foundation of every great football team is the OL - Bill Walsh, former Cal assistant football coach.
sycasey
6-0 after an ugly rain-soaked game in Washington. D pitches a shutout.
B.A. Bearacus
Legit. Wonder if any of our players will be able to make a Niners game this year, either as special guests, along with a coach, or just as fans of an elite D. Santa Clara is a haul, though, and not sure if we have any strong ties to any player, coach, or exec.

philbert
B.A. Bearacus said:

Legit. Wonder if any of our players will be able to make a Niners game this year, either as special guests, along with a coach, or just as fans of an elite D. Santa Clara is a haul, though, and not sure if we have any strong ties to any player, coach, or exec.

Just this guy...

B.A. Bearacus
Ah, thanks for the reminder about Marathe. I hope he's been able to leverage his position with the Niners to set up some visits for Cal people (at least the AD) at Niner games. I have to assume so and it just went unnoticed as it wouldn't make local news like "Cal day" at the Giants. Would be nice to see coaches or players enjoy some of the perks of having a pro team in the same area.
GBear4Life
Strange trade for Emmanuel Sanders. Coming off achilles tear, 32 years old, FA after season. Would prefer Sanu.
71Bear
GBear4Life said:

Strange trade for Emmanuel Sanders. Coming off achilles tear, 32 years old, FA after season. Would prefer Sanu.
The Pats offered a 2 and it was enough to satisfy ATL. SF used their 2 in the trade for Ford. In other words, SF didn't have the means to make the deal. Sanders is a good fit. My concern is his health (his knee not his Achilles).
sycasey
The Broncos offense is terrible, but I think Sanders still has something left in the tank, and at the very least he is sure-handed. Niners need guys like that.
71Bear
sycasey said:

The Broncos offense is terrible, but I think Sanders still has something left in the tank, and at the very least he is sure-handed. Niners need guys like that.
I like the idea they are going "all in". Too many teams are not willing to take the kind of risks that can pay off in a big way. If they don't hit the target, at least they gave it a shot. As a fan, that is all you can ask.....
Strykur
GBear4Life said:

Sanders was in Atlanta when Kyle Shanahan was offensive coordinator, he knows the offense and is an immediate plug-and-play.
philbert
Strykur said:

GBear4Life said:

Sanders was in Atlanta when Kyle Shanahan was offensive coordinator, he knows the offense and is an immediate plug-and-play.
Do you mean Sanu? Don't think Sanders was ever a Falcon.

However, Sanders OC this year came from the Shanahan's SF staff (QB coach), so the offense is familiar to him.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.