Any updates on Garbers or Modster

7,672 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Golden One
UrsineMaximus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
71Bear said:

Garbers is talented. He demonstrated that v. Mississippi and ASU. Some guys just take longer than others to find their rhythm. Modster has had plenty of opportunities at Westwood and Berkeley. He has never done anything to warrant positive reviews.

Respectfully disagree. He may be the most talented on Cal's roster but he is not a talented QB by PAC 12 standards. His throwing motion and side arm delivery are pedestrian at best. It may come to pass that his delivery changed due to injury (see his high school tape, which shows an over the top delivery) but we will likely never know that. Something happened to Garbers from high school to now and I don't know if it was due to injury or coaching. Either way he was a better thrower of the ball his Senior year in high school than he is now.
Big Dog
UrsineMaximus said:

71Bear said:

Garbers is talented. He demonstrated that v. Mississippi and ASU. Some guys just take longer than others to find their rhythm. Modster has had plenty of opportunities at Westwood and Berkeley. He has never done anything to warrant positive reviews.

Respectfully disagree. He may be the most talented on Cal's roster but he is not a talented QB by PAC 12 standards. His throwing motion and side arm delivery are pedestrian at best. It may come to pass that his delivery changed due to injury (see his high school tape, which shows an over the top delivery) but we will likely never know that. Something happened to Garbers from high school to now and I don't know if it was due to injury or coaching. Either way he was a better thrower of the ball his Senior year in high school than he is now.
not even sure he's the most talented on the roster. For what I've seen, I'd say Bracsh has much more upside; to my old eyes, he throws a better ball and quicker release. OTOH, a healthy Garbers gives us a better chance to win the next game.
UrsineMaximus
You hedged your bet nicely. Really doesn't matter who the QB is given that our problem at hand is our OL. We can't run the ball and can only block on pass pro when there are only 3 rushing the passer. So, to win a game or 2 will likely be more dependent on the OL than the QB.
calumnus
71Bear said:

PtownBear1 said:

Anyone else find it funny that all off season fans were talking about Modster as our only hope, and now everyone is waiting for Garbers to return and try to salvage the season.
And some of us have been on the Garbers bandwagon for two years and were well aware that Modster was nothing more than a mop-up guy.

I think we saw today that both QBs can be very effective in the right situation against the right opponent. Hopefully we build on this with a way n next week.
Cal84
Modster played well today. He clearly benefited from better OL play. Great job running to minimize sack losses and grab free yardage when open. He continues to be accurate on deep balls with the WR running directly away from the line of scrimmage (Ex. go route). He continues to have trouble on plays with the WR running parallel to the line of scrimmage. Someone on the Cal offensive staff has noticed this as well cuz, we very infrequently ran the latter type of plays ( Ex. in, slant, crossing). I do recall Modster making some decent passes to WRs on out routes though. If I am an opposing DC planning vs. Modster, I'd give him Cover-2 almost all the time...

This may shock some posters here on BI, but next year with both Garbers and Modster we might actually have some depth at the QB position...
71Bear
calumnus said:

71Bear said:

PtownBear1 said:

Anyone else find it funny that all off season fans were talking about Modster as our only hope, and now everyone is waiting for Garbers to return and try to salvage the season.
And some of us have been on the Garbers bandwagon for two years and were well aware that Modster was nothing more than a mop-up guy.

I think we saw today that both QBs can be very effective in the right situation against the right opponent. Hopefully we build on this with a way n next week.
Gotta disagree. Modster is an "in emergency, break glass and hope for the best" kinda guy. Garbers is someone around whom you can build an offense. Modster has had 1 1/2 decent games in his entire career. Garbers is 10-5 as a Cal starter.
SFCityBear
71Bear said:

calumnus said:

71Bear said:

PtownBear1 said:

Gotta disagree. Modster is an "in emergency, break glass and hope for the best" kinda guy. Garbers is someone around whom you can build an offense. Modster has had 1 1/2 decent games in his entire career. Garbers is 10-5 as a Cal starter.
And I respectfully disagree with you. At UCLA, Modster came off the bench against UW and out played Rosen, even though UCLA lost. He played decently against Utah in a loss. He came off the bench against Cal, and played well in a win. In a bowl game, he out-played both Kansas State QBs by a mile in a loss. And comparing one player's "decent games" against another player's won-loss record is comparing apples to oranges, isn't it? As a freshman, Modster was a backup to Josh Rosen. In that role, he seldom played except when Rosen got hurt, so how could he have a won-loss record of very many games? He played in only 5 of 13 games and one of those was a couple of minutes in a blowout of Hawaii. At Cal, he got in to throw one pass vs Mississippi, and then had to come in off the bench vs ASU and save the game, which he failed to do. Then he started the next 3 games, and finally got Cal a win when we had been struggling, not only passing, but with the line banged up, the running game had disappeared and the defense had not been playing well either in 4 straight losses. Finally, he has a good game at Cal, and you want to start criticizing his much shorter career?

I think you are being pretty harsh on Modster. Garbers hasn't exactly been the 2nd coming of Jared Goff, has he? He struggled in his first year, and they even benched him for McIlwain for a game or two. He played all or most of the reps in 11 games that year, and had maybe 4 good games, but he had a couple bad games against Oregon and Stanford and then a real stinker against TCU. This year he played in 5 games and looked OK in all of them, playing real well in the Mississippi game. Actually, I think this season was more impressive than last season, because this season Cal's offensive line was banged up, and his receivers are not as good as last season. I think his Mississippi game was his best, as the competition was better than for any of his 4 good games last season, just in my opinion. Maybe I'm hard to please, because it took me 15 games to finally be impressed with him. Even then, it was only one game. I'll wait and see if he can keep it up or can improve.

So Garbers has had 16 starts, and Modster has had 5 starts, 2 at UCLA, one for Jim Mora, and one for Jedd Fisch, , and 3 starts at Cal for Wilcox. That is 5 starts for three different coaches, and at least two different systems. At UCLA, Modster was Josh Rosen's backup. The first time Rosen got hurt was in the UW game, and Modster slightly outperformed Rosen, but UCAL lost. Then he started against Utah, did not perform well, and they lost. Rosen returned for the next 3 games, and got hurt in the 3rd one, against Cal, and Modster came in an played almost as well as Rosen had and UCLA won. Modster started UCLA's bowl game against Kansas State, and had 295 yards and 2 TDs and no INTs, against K-State's two quarterbacks who had 79 yards,, no TDs, and 2 INTs between them, so he outplayed them by a mile, but UCLA lost.

At Cal, he and his coaches had to face the uncertainty of whether he would ever play, as the NCAA kept jerking Cal and Modster around. He finally got his shot as a backup when Garbers got hurt vs ASU. Garbers had been playing well, but Modster did not do well and Cal lost. He started against Oregon and OSU and did not play well in either game, and got hurt and missed the Utah game. He returned to start against WSU, and had a very good game. I sure would need to see more than 3 starts for Modster before I could judge him as a starter, and if he is a backup, I'd need to see more than one or two games where he came off the bench to try and save or win a game, before I would judge him.

Both Garbers and Modster suffer from a drop in quality of receivers over their past teams' receivers. Garbers had Laird and Wharton who each caught 50 balls last season, and Laird had 9 TD catches. He had Ways (34 catches) and Noa (30). This season, so far, Remigio and Duncan have 18 each, Clark has 15, and Crawford has 14. Polk may be a star, but he is not there yet. At UCLA in 2017, Rosen and Modster had Jordan Lasley (69 catches, 9 TDs), Darren Andrews (60 catches, 10 TDs), Theo Howard (56 catches, 4 TDs), Caleb Wilson (38 catches, 1 TD), and 3 other players who had 17 or more catches.

I think it may have helped Modster to have his best game with the return of some of Cal's receivers. It also helped Modster (and Brown) to have the return of a starting offensive lineman. I also think quarterbacks, like coaches, sometimes get too much credit for wins, and too much blame for losses. This is a team game, and a quarterback is only as good as his receivers, his offensive line, and his team's running game. It is too premature to judge either of these quarterbacks until they have a consistent running game, and get their linemen and receivers healthy. Instead of criticizing Modster's brief career, how about getting behind him? He just had a good game, and until Garbers or another Jared Goff shows up, he's our quarterback at the moment.
BearGoggles
71Bear said:

calumnus said:

71Bear said:

PtownBear1 said:

Interesting but unfair sleight of hand - comparing two different things. Modster's "decent" games v. Garber's wins. In a lot of those wins, Garbers did not have "decent" games but Cal won anyway.

I thinks it is reasonable for you to feel Garbers is better and/or has a higher ceiling. I don't understand your crapping on Modster. His history at UCLA and first few games at Cal have been very comparable to Garber's first few games. And remember that due to eligibility issues and then injury, Modster has had a lot less practice time than Garbers, who got to redshirt a full year.

More importantly, Modster showed a lot of improvement against WSU. There's always room for improvement, but Modster showed a lot of promise.

calumnus
BearGoggles said:

71Bear said:

calumnus said:

71Bear said:

PtownBear1 said:

Interesting but unfair sleight of hand - comparing two different things. Modster's "decent" games v. Garber's wins. In a lot of those wins, Garbers did not have "decent" games but Cal won anyway.

I thinks it is reasonable for you to feel Garbers is better and/or has a higher ceiling. I don't understand your crapping on Modster. His history at UCLA and first few games at Cal have been very comparable to Garber's first few games. And remember that due to eligibility issues and then injury, Modster has had a lot less practice time than Garbers, who got to redshirt a full year.

More importantly, Modster showed a lot of improvement against WSU. There's always room for improvement, but Modster showed a lot of promise.

Agreed. As far as Modster's W/L under Mora, imagine how many wins they would have had with Cal's defense the last two years instead of UCLA's #106 that year?

It is like concluding Jared Goff is a horrible QB because of Cal's horrible WL record his freshman year.

I like both QBs and have consistently said QB was not the reason our offense has been:
2017 #101
2018 #120
2019 #118

There were some reports Garbers might be available this week? Hopefully Modster plays great and Garbers can continue to heal with a healthy QB competition down the road.
Golden One
Garbers will be available against USC. It's up to the coaches whether or not he will start over Modster. My guess is that he will.
southseasbear
Golden One said:

Garbers will be available against USC. It's up to the coaches whether or not he will start over Modster. My guess is that he will.
There is a difference between being medically cleared to play and being in game shape (particularly after a shoulder injury on your throwing arm).
Golden One
southseasbear said:

Golden One said:

There is a difference between being medically cleared to play and being in game shape (particularly after a shoulder injury on your throwing arm).
True, but the injury was to his clavicle, which isn't as bad as an injury to the shoulder itself or to the arm.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.