Brilliant OC Beau Baldwin Engineers Great Win

7,717 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by tequila4kapp
Bear19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
QB Whisperer BB does his magic with Devon Modster, who delivers FOUR TDs in dramatic win over WSU.

BB haters at a loss to explain how this could happen. Hahaha.
Another Bear
I'm guessing it was more Modster that BB.
Bear19
Another Bear said:

I'm guess it was more Modster that BB.
Oh, so Modster had a great game in spite of Baldwin's bumbling coaching? Yeah, that must be it. Lol.
dimitrig

I read through the WSU board it was like the Cal board with lots of fans talking about how Wilcox is a better coach than Leach who only coaches one side of the ball, how WSU can't afford to pay assistant coaches, how recruiting needs to get better, how Leach's play calling sucks (no runs), and that they are destined to be mediocre forever. The only thing they didn't complain about is needing better fans. This was after an 11 win team last year and a Rose Bowl in the last 20 (2 in the last 25). The grass is always greener.

For borderline programs like theirs (and ours) that is our lot in life. At least other teams don't say that we "Bear'd It." The Cougs are like our lovable little brothers (sorry UCLA). Hopefully, we will get lucky and see a Rose Bowl sometime, too. If they can do it so can we.
BearGoggles
Bear19 said:

QB Whisperer BB does his magic with Devon Modster, who delivers FOUR TDs in dramatic win over WSU.

The offense played well against WSU and Baldwin deserves considerable credit for that. However, one admittedly good game doesn't erase the full body of work (player development, recruiting, scheme, etc.) for which Baldwin is deserving of significant criticism and blame.

One game doesn't really change the overall assessment.

okaydo
Us Baldwinistas, who are true Cal fans, can finally celebrate in triumph. We never lost hope as the haters hated. But it is true: Baldwin is terrific and he's ours.
bearsandgiants
If we could actually catch passes, that would have been a blowout. Great game. Health really matters. I didn't notice much difference in playcalling. A good oc adjusts when the chips are down, and bb doesnt seem to have an answer for that, so just hope we recruit well and stay healthy i guess
CALiforniALUM
Who did we have back on offense that wasn't around during the previous 4 games? QB1, WR1, OL1 ???
6956bear
Bear19 said:

The first time all season the Bears score at least 30. That is an average total in college football. The team delivered a win last night and it was great to see the offense respond. Finally. Yes the OC called a good game. Yes Modster did a fine job. But are you really satisfied with what we have seen the majority of games under BB?

I am not surprised the team won. I am a bit surprised by how they won. But one game does not change the majority of games under BB IMO. The offense has been poor and QB play mostly subpar. I know the OL has been injured and the WRs as well, but even when healthy the offense has been at best mediocre.

Lets see it continue. Lets see 30 points again. And again and again. One game in 9 at 30 or above at this level of football is frankly hard to imagine. Teams score over 30 routinely. Cal gets to 30 once and now BB is the QB whisperer and Modster is the next big thing.
Econ141
Didn't we know going in that WSU had a terrible defense? They gave up 60+ to UCLA ...
PtownBear1
Even a broken clock is right twice a day, especially when going against the worst defense in the league. And by the way, we scored the fewest points against WSU of any conference teams this season.

Good game, but are there seriously people still advocating for our OC when we've consistently had the worst offense among Power 5 teams? Wow. Hope you folks don't run companies.
Bear19
6956bear, Good comment. I do think that offensive injuries & Garbers going down after a good start did affect the team severely during the four losses. We always knew we aren't as deep as needed to complete well throughout the season, which has been the case for decades. IMO this is the major recruiting challenge Wilcox must overcome.

Couldn't resist having some fun at the expense of some of our fellow posters after all the vitruol pointed Baldwin's way.
59bear
Bear19 said:

It's amazing how much better the play calling/coaching look when plays succeed. Even with a couple of egregious drops, Modster definitely was better by an order of magnitude than in any game I've seen him play for Cal. His throws were crisp, accurate, confident and his decision making, both throwing and running, impeccable. This may be a one off but no less enjoyable.
tequila4kapp
bearsandgiants said:

If we could actually catch passes, that would have been a blowout. Great game. Health really matters. I didn't notice much difference in playcalling. A good oc adjusts when the chips are down, and bb doesnt seem to have an answer for that, so just hope we recruit well and stay healthy i guess

The playcalling was light years different and for the better IMO
calbear80
BearGoggles said:

Bear19 said:

The offense played well against WSU and Baldwin deserves considerable credit for that. However, one admittedly good game doesn't erase the full body of work (player development, recruiting, scheme, etc.) for which Baldwin is deserving of significant criticism and blame.

One game doesn't really change the overall assessment.

+1
LACalFan
KoreAmBear is somewhere out there still slowly whittling a stake for BB's head. Maybe feelings will shift if BB keeps it up down the stretch against SC and Furd.
GivemTheAxe
Another Bear said:

Come on give credit where credit is due.
Last year every one complained about the QB coach because there was no improvement in the QB play.
This year BB is the new QB coach.
BB turned Garbers around.
BB turned Modster around.
nwbear84
Although 30 points is pretty routine for everyone, but Cal, it is our gold standard. I thought it last year and early this year, that with Cal scoring over 20 we are hard to beat, anywhere in the mid 20s is a likely victory and over 30 is pretty much a sure thing. And it's turned out to be the case. Only one loss if Cal scores 25 or more. Admittedly, strategies by the opposition change with a different score, but as we saw last night, a run light approach is good for the defense. Even one that is very good at that game.
HearstMining
59bear said:

Bear19 said:

It's amazing how much better the play calling/coaching look when plays succeed. Even with a couple of egregious drops, Modster definitely was better by an order of magnitude than in any game I've seen him play for Cal. His throws were crisp, accurate, confident and his defection making both throwing and running impeccable. This may be a one off but no less enjoyable.
Modster does throw a nice deep ball, doesn't he? I would think that's the toughest ball to throw. Last night, he was also hitting the timing and crossing patterns and that was huge. Only a single game, but it definitely seems to put the "let's start Brasch" argument on the back burner. And if Modster finishing out the regular season ensures that Garbers completely heals, then let's do it.
killa22
Kaufmann called a good game as DC vs UCLA back in 2016 too.
HoopDreams
One thing I liked about his play this game is his decision making on runs

They weren't forced, they weren't panicked, they weren't too soon or too often

They were just perfect
Cal89
The offense played well. Kudos to all involved, and that includes BB.

If someone would have told us before the game that one team would have five TDs, the other just two (one in the first 59+ min), I imagine most, the vast majority even, would have guessed the Cougs got the five, and blew us out.

The Cougs don't have a good Pac-12 D, I believe 10th in the conference in yards/play allowed. Their pass D has been better than their run D, generally around 6th-8th in the conference in various metrics. We had a good passing game against them.

Pass completion rate = 67%
Yards/attempt = 9.6
TD/INT ratio = 3:1
Rating = 188

Damn good against an ok Pac-12 pass D.

To revisit CG's last two games against Ole Miss and ASU:

Pass completion rate = 68%
Yards/attempt = 10+
TD/INT = 5:1
Rating = 180+

Very similar. As I stated in earlier posts, very nice. It was clear, I think to all us, Chase and the passing game was on the upswing. It was evident in portions of earlier games too, as I had attempted to call-out...

Ross Bowers, his last three games of 2017:

Pass completion rate = 68%
Yards/attempt = 6.8
TD/INT = 3:1
Rating = 140 (approx)

This is a QB who had not previously thrown a pass in college prior to the 2017 season. This was our first year under JW and staff and we came into the season with our least experienced O line in many, many years. A 68% completion rate over three games, against Pac-12 teams? Not sure when Cal last experienced such passing competence, if ever. In Ross Bowers's last 8 eights he had 15:4 TD/INT ratio too.

Ross Bowers best game, stretch of games, was here at Cal, under BB.

Devon Modster's best game was not at UCLA, but yesterday, at Cal, with BB as the OC.

The point is.... IMO, when BB's offense has some continuity at QB, the passing game begins to show real healthy signs of being good, better than good even.

With Devon at QB the rest of the way, or should CG return, I would expect the passing game to continue as we just saw, and have seen in the past with BB, when he as continuity at the position. The run game will open-up, we get balance, move the ball, covert 3rd down (50% yesterday, BTW) and score more often. Life is good.

Should our passing game falter under these two QBs, our offense not produce sufficient points, there will be reason for concern. Based upon what I've seen, that won't happen.

Imagine if we have continuity at QB for a year, two, or longer? Heck, if BB had the same QB for three years now, I truly believe there would have been zero such threads about him, his incompetence. What if he had Goff for three years? Oh, what if he also had those six or so amazing receivers too? Getting back one really good one yesterday made a nice difference...

No damn reason we cannot beat Southern Cal again, this time at home. Stanford is looking to have their worst season in like an over a decade. It's time folks. Another monkey-off-the-back. Then it's time to get the LA sweep.
Sig test...
Another Bear
GivemTheAxe said:

Another Bear said:

Come on give credit where credit is due.
Last year every one complained about the QB coach because there was no improvement in the QB play.
This year BB is the new QB coach.
BB turned Garbers around.
BB turned Modster around.
Fair enough, it was both coach and QB, but only one gets on the field. My take, Modster finally got enough first team reps and time to digest things. His game tape from UCLA said he could play.
KoreAmBear
LACalFan said:

KoreAmBear is somewhere out there still slowly whittling a stake for BB's head. Maybe feelings will shift if BB keeps it up down the stretch against SC and Furd.

I was calling for BB's head for what he did LAST year. Look I think he's a good guy and could be an effective OC or HC in the right circumstances. He just doesn't fit ours. Good job yesterday , but I'm not sure he can unravel almost 3 years of poor offenses in four games. If he makes an argument to save his job well then something good must have happened and I'd be open to change my mind.
Bobodeluxe
We
Need

Good
Fit

Gets
Cal
LACalFan
KoreAmBear said:

LACalFan said:

I was calling for BB's head for what he did LAST year. Look I think he's a good guy and could be an effective OC or HC in the right circumstances. He just doesn't fit ours. Good job yesterday , but I'm not sure he can unravel almost 3 years of poor offenses in four games. If he makes an argument to save his job well then something good must have happened and I'd be open to change my mind.
I'm getting the vibe he'll be gone either way.
Rushinbear
KoreAmBear said:

LACalFan said:

The beauty of it is that we don't need speculation, just patience.
UrsaMajor
Of course, one game against a mediocre defense (to be charitable) doesn't mean BB is suddenly the reincarnation of Kyle Shanahan or Sean McVay, but I did notice some significant differences between the game plan yesterday and previously:

1. Modster under center a number of times.
2. More misdirection in the running game--the line pulling left and Brown running right.
3. A nifty reverse (have we seen one of those in the past 3 years?). The reverse was obviously set up by prior CB runs to the left.
4. More play action.
5. Shots downfield. We hit a number, had a couple of drops that might have been scores and Modster missed a couple of wide open receivers, but the play calls were excellent.
6. Short passing that developed much more quickly than the slow developing routes run previously.

Does this mean a lightbulb suddenly went off in BB's head? No idea, although unless this trend continues for the next 3 games, I'm skeptical. Nonetheless let's give credit where it's due...at least for one Saturday.
72CalBear
We had a healthy, somewhat more experienced QB, a more stable OL, and some newcomers who brought the heat on offense and defense. Baldwin had some positive tools for the first time in weeks, which along with a big drop off in team depth, has always plagued him. Critics can say what they like, and I am sure he takes your comments to heart to make him better!
KoreAmBear
LACalFan said:

KoreAmBear said:

LACalFan said:

I'm getting the vibe he'll be gone either way.

When the BI guys start threads about it on the insider page (join now and you too can see it), that's pretty far along.
LACalFan
Yup
calumnus
UrsaMajor said:

Of course, one game against a mediocre defense (to be charitable) doesn't mean BB is suddenly the reincarnation of Kyle Shanahan or Sean McVay, but I did notice some significant differences between the game plan yesterday and previously:

1. Modster under center a number of times.
2. More misdirection in the running game--the line pulling left and Brown running right.
3. A nifty reverse (have we seen one of those in the past 3 years?). The reverse was obviously set up by prior CB runs to the left.
4. More play action.
5. Shots downfield. We hit a number, had a couple of drops that might have been scores and Modster missed a couple of wide open receivers, but the play calls were excellent.
6. Short passing that developed much more quickly than the slow developing routes run previously.

Does this mean a lightbulb suddenly went off in BB's head? No idea, although unless this trend continues for the next 3 games, I'm skeptical. Nonetheless let's give credit where it's due...at least for one Saturday.

Good post.
1. The playcalling was significantly better, with much of the elements you cited things we have been calling for for most of the past three seasons. The RPO from shotgun did not make sense for this team. Brown is much better with a head of steam when the QB is under center. Modster is not a runner, but he is a good mobile pro-style QB. Runs to the edges, counters, reverses, play-action to the tight end and setting up single coverage for the deep throw! We could have beat OSU and ASU with these calls.
2. Modster is a good QB. He was hampered on the previous games by limited practice time, an inappropriate scheme and our best deep threat being injured.
3. WSU's defense is horrible. However none of our upcoming opponents have good defenses.
going4roses
who stole Baldwins body ? cause that was some Manchurian candidate stuff going on lol last night

like he stopped trying to be so cute about stuff
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
HoopDreams
interesting what's happening over at the farm now that they have their starting QB back

after a good game last week, Stanford scored only 13 points against a mediocre Colorado defense, and that's with Costello going 18/29 for 245 yards?

very recently, Stanford's offense was very good and successful and everyone was praising their coaches. some injuries and now they are Leland Junior College again

football is a funny thing. sometimes it's difficult to figure out where the problem is

82gradDLSdad
"Brown is much better with a head of steam when the QB is under center. Modster is not a runner, but he is a good mobile pro-style QB. Runs to the edges, counters, reverses, play-action to the tight end and setting up single coverage for the deep throw! We could have beat OSU and ASU with these calls."

My thoughts exactly. Our line blocks better too just coming off the ball instead of attempting the RPO blocks (reach blocking, I think).
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.