Cal/WSU referee suspended for one game due to officiating error

4,097 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by edg64
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.sfchronicle.com/collegesports/article/Pac-12-admits-to-officiating-error-in-Washington-14824675.php?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=headlines&utm_campaign=sfc_morningfix&sid=5452d8d13b35d010308e94ff#

touchdownbears43
Actual proof of the incompetency on the field. Doubt it affected the outcome but my god....
HighlandDutch
Here's Canzano's article on the screw-up:

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2019/11/canzano-pac-12-officiating-blunder-is-a-symptom-conference-needs-a-total-reboot.html
burritos
Are they going to reverse that non TD catch from Carson Palmer to Kareem Kelly in 2002 where we lost by 2 points to USC?
https://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=222850030

Quote:

On third-and-goal from the Bears' 6, Kareem Kelly made a diving
catch in the back of the end zone, but the ball appeared to
immediately slip from his grasp and bounce back into his arms. It
was ruled a touchdown rather than an incompletion, however.
"I'm still sticking with it was a good catch. Other than that,
I have no comment,'' Palmer said.
Kelly explained: "I had the ball. The ground helped me secure
the ball. I rolled over and the ref had his hands up.''
LunchTime
HighlandDutch said:

Here's Canzano's article on the screw-up:

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2019/11/canzano-pac-12-officiating-blunder-is-a-symptom-conference-needs-a-total-reboot.html
That is too kind to the Pac12.

What an absolute joke of a conference.
UrsaMajor
Unfortunately, this damages the theory that P12 refs are biased against Cal (a common belief on the forum). As I have learned--never attribute to conspiracy what can be explained by incompetence.
71Bear
UrsaMajor said:

Unfortunately, this damages the theory that P12 refs are biased against Cal (a common belief on the forum). As I have learned--never attribute to conspiracy what can be explained by incompetence.
I was thinking the same thing when I read the article. Anyone who has watched P12 football for any length of time knows that the refs are not biased. Their level of incompetence spans all teams all the time.

IMO, this incident should be resurrected every time a Cal fan raises the foolish notion that the refs are conspiring against the Bears.

chazzed
When we get the overwhelming benefit of the doubt - like 3 Furd TDs called back in a row - in a game against one of the powers of the Pac (SC, Oregon, Furd), we'll talk. I'll be glad when I'm forced to revisit the matter.
chazzed
Cal8285
71Bear said:

UrsaMajor said:

I was thinking the same thing when I read the article. Anyone who has watched P12 football for any length of time knows that the refs are not biased. Their level of incompetence spans all teams all the time.

IMO, this incident should be resurrected every time a Cal fan raises the foolish notion that the refs are conspiring against the Bears.

What drives me crazy is all the times where the is simply no excuse for the level of incompetence. Saturday's gaffe was just another example. I can understand a brief miscommunication, but that should be fixed fairly quickly, and certainly there was ample time to fix it before the ball was snapped for the next play.

I still can't believe they called an interception on the field in the second half on the tipped pass that live, everybody in the stadium could see hit the ground before the Cal defender secured it. I can understand there being one official who didn't see it hit the ground, but how could there be NOBODY on the field who overruled him? Replay fixed that error, and WSU kept the ball, but still, there was no excuse for the level of incompetence it took for an interception be the call on the field. And unnecessary review interferes with the flow of the game and makes the game longer than it needs to be.

The USC-WSU replay debacle last year caused by Dixon's inexcusable interference was one time where I had to truly wonder about there being more than incompetence involved, I had to wonder about someone having an agenda. It was a horrible look for the conference beyond the normal incompetence.

The normal incompetence is bad enough, as Saturday showed.
Sebastabear
UrsaMajor said:

I'm sure you'll disagree but I think there was an obvious bias against us when Dykes was here. Some of that stuff was inexplicable. By contrast, I haven't seen it really at all since Wilcox took over. If anything, some of the weirder calls on balance seem to be going our way. Why? I subscribe to the theory that refs are humans and Dykes flipping out continuously rubbed some folks the wrong way. By contrast I think they respect Wilcox and view his demeanor as more becoming and lining up with their theory on what a coach "should be".

I'm sticking with this theory until someone can tender some even remotely plausible explanation for that non-call when Skov made the most egregious targeting hit on Goff I've ever seen 5 feet from the ref.
burritos
Is there a huge supply of qualified non working refs that need work? Go ahead and bench that ref and see if things improve.
burritos
Is refereeing an easy job to master? Does it pay well? Do most critics think they can do a better job?
71Bear
burritos said:

Is refereeing an easy job to master? Does it pay well? Do most critics think they can do a better job?
In order to be a valid critic of his performance, I don't need to be able to do a better job than he does. I only need to know about his responsibilities and whether he demonstrates competence while exercising those duties.

To suggest otherwise, would invalidate all critics from doing their job, whether it be those who review motion pictures, stage, television, books, etc., etc., etc.

In other words, I don't need to be Laurence Olivier to know when I am seeing a terrible actor on stage.
71Bear
burritos said:

Is there a huge supply of qualified non working refs that need work? Go ahead and bench that ref and see if things improve.
Since there are five games this week, the conference needs one fewer ref than if there were a full slate of games.
burritos
71Bear said:

burritos said:

In order to be a valid critic of his performance, I don't need to be able to do a better job than he does. I only need to know about his responsibilities and whether he demonstrates competence while exercising those duties.

To suggest otherwise, would invalidate all critics from doing their job, whether it be those who review motion pictures, stage, television, books, etc., etc., etc.

In other words, I don't need to be Laurence Olivier to know when I am seeing a terrible actor on stage.
Yes but you can control how you feel about it. Most people can't.
KoreAmBear
71Bear said:

UrsaMajor said:

I do think that ref that looked like Jeffrey Tambor of Arrested Development hated us though. For real. He's the guy that kicked out Michael Lowe out of the Big Game first play from scrimmage. I knew we were doomed. I think he was also in the booth during the sequence when Rubenzer got into the end zone like 3 times only for it to be reversed every time in the Big Game. This is when cheatin for Furd to get optimal bowl game was at its height.

calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

71Bear said:

UrsaMajor said:

I do think that ref that looked like Jeffrey Tambor of Arrested Development hated us though. For real. He's the guy that kicked out Michael Lowe out of the Big Game first play from scrimmage. I knew we were doomed. I think he was also in the booth during the sequence when Rubenzer got into the end zone like 3 times only for it to be reversed every time in the Big Game. This is when cheatin for Furd to get optimal bowl game was at its height.

Much of which was later made public and became a scandal when the refs went public.

How about the non-call on the Skov blatant late hit, targeting, left his feet helmet to the shoulder on Goff that knocked him out of the game and caused him to miss Spring ball?

Cal getting the benefit of a call against WSU when both are at the bottom of the PAC-12 North does not disprove past biss in favor of Stanford (and therefore anti-Cal).

In summary:
1. PAC-12 refs are biased (by league office orders) towards any PAC-12 team that is in the playoff hunt
2. Glasses ref and Jeff Tambor lookalike are merely biased against Cal.
3. In all other cases they are merely incompetent. However, they will only admit they made a mistake if Cal benefits. Any ref who makes an error in Cal's favor will be punished.
BGGB2
burritos said:

If the conference *really* wanted to improve reffing quickly, they could dangle big money to lure in better refs from other parts of the country. If there really is a dearth of qualified, competent referees in the Pac12's geographic footprint, then throw money at the problem. Top refs will travel if they make it worth their while.
LunchTime
UrsaMajor said:

No... An exception isn't evidence.

The Pac12 needs to give Cal about 20 more to balance the scales. This makes up for the PF against Weaver. That only balances the scales for one game.
HungryCalBear
I just rewatched the game. Better ref would not change the outcome but yeah that entire staff needs to be fired.
71Bear
LunchTime said:

UrsaMajor said:

The Pac12 needs to give Cal about 20 more to balance the scales. This makes up for the PF against Weaver. That only balances the scales for one game.
Weaver was guilty as charged. You cannot body slam guys in the modern game. Everyone knows that. Later in the game, he smartly released a guy out of bounds rather than take him down. It appears that he learned his lesson.
LunchTime
71Bear said:

LunchTime said:

UrsaMajor said:

Weaver was guilty as charged. You cannot body slam guys in the modern game. Everyone knows that. Later in the game, he smartly released a guy out of bounds rather than take him down. It appears that he learned his lesson.

I was mildly joking about the roughing, but it was a BS penalty, but sometimes gets called - I think if Weaver had a PF before that call, he doesn't get one on that call. I think if they don't call it there, they would on the late hit. Pulling up doesn't negate the hit on a tickytack penalty.

But no ref in the pac12 sends the best linebacker off the field on either of those plays.
71Bear
LunchTime said:

71Bear said:

LunchTime said:

UrsaMajor said:

I was mildly joking about the roughing, but it was a BS penalty, but sometimes gets called - I think if Weaver had a PF before that call, he doesn't get one on that call. I think if they don't call it there, they would on the late hit. Pulling up doesn't negate the hit on a tickytack penalty.

But no ref in the pac12 sends the best linebacker off the field on either of those plays.
Personal fouls (unless for targeting) do not result in ejection. Unsportsmanlike conduct (2 or more) do result in ejection. Since he committed a non-targeting personal foul, he was not "sent off the field".

Are we talking about the same play? I was referencing the late hit on the QB followed later by a play out of bounds that did not result in a penalty.
BearGoggles
71Bear said:

LunchTime said:

UrsaMajor said:

He didn't body slam the qb. He did take him to the ground in the course of what was otherwise a legal hit - which can be called a penalty if you forcefully drive the qb into the ground. But it was borderline, as the announcers suggested - in fact the announcers both suggested it was a soft call.

glutton
The roughing the passer call against Cal in the end zone was horrible. The defender was already airborne when the WSU QB released the ball, so there was no way for him to stop.
Calling a penalty on the wrong team is a pretty blatant mistake, but I hate how their after-the-game reviews seem to focus on one or 2 calls, and ignore all of the other questionable calls and non-calls.
burritos
BGGB2 said:

burritos said:

If the conference *really* wanted to improve reffing quickly, they could dangle big money to lure in better refs from other parts of the country. If there really is a dearth of qualified, competent referees in the Pac12's geographic footprint, then throw money at the problem. Top refs will travel if they make it worth their while.
Are there large pots of accessible unused money for this?
LunchTime
71Bear said:

LunchTime said:

71Bear said:

LunchTime said:

UrsaMajor said:

Personal fouls (unless for targeting) do not result in ejection. Unsportsmanlike conduct (2 or more) do result in ejection. Since he committed a non-targeting personal foul, he was not "sent off the field".

Are we talking about the same play? I was referencing the late hit on the QB followed later by a play out of bounds that did not result in a penalty.

Yeah, I got PF vs Unsportsmanlike conflated. Either way the endzone hit on the WSU was BS. It easily was the same call as the late hit where he pulled up. Both could have easily been called. Neither should have been called.

The reality is not that he bodyslammed the QB. That is hyperbole. It was a borderline call that is not called more often than it is in that situation.
edg64
HungryCalBear said:

I just rewatched the game. Better ref would not change the outcome but yeah that entire staff needs to be fired.
According to the 'inference' that the better field position for WSU would have 'probably' given them a TD instead of a field goal - well OK
Lets give them a TD instead of a FG; that would change the outcome

Cal wins 33-24 vs Cal wins 33-20 The outcome would be different
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.