BIG GAME

2,908 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by OldenBear
HateRed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm probably going to make it to BIG GAME this year visiting the dark side for the first time in several years.
Does anyone know if CAL tickets are going to be sold out? Also, I'm wondering how many students are planning on going to the dark side.
Golden One
HateRed said:

I'm probably going to make it to BIG GAME this year visiting the dark side for the first time in several years.
Does anyone know if CAL tickets are going to be sold out? Also, I'm wondering how many students are planning on going to the dark side.
I doubt very much that the Cal tickets will be sold out, and the game will certainly not be a sellout.
71Bear
Golden One said:

HateRed said:

I doubt very much that the Cal tickets will be sold out, and the game will certainly not be a sellout.
...a long ways from the crowds of 88,000 at old Stanford Stadium.
Golden One
71Bear said:

Golden One said:

HateRed said:

...a long ways from the crowds of 88,000 at old Stanford Stadium.
Yes, indeed!
Chabbear
And the Big Game tickets at Stanford were part of Cal's season tickets and we sat with our neighbors in our own section just like at Memorial.

Oh well. Beat Stanford...Get the Axe
HateRed
It's hard to believe that CAL can't sell out it's allotment of tickets. Surely there are 10-15,000 CAL fans that can show up. But, yes, I remember the almost 90,000 fans at the old stadium on the campus of the dark side. And, the CAL student section there was huge as well.
SFCALBear72
HateRed said:

It's hard to believe that CAL can't sell out it's allotment of tickets. Surely there are 10-15,000 CAL fans that can show up. But, yes, I remember the almost 90,000 fans at the old stadium on the campus of the dark side. And, the CAL student section there was huge as well.
I think a lot of Cal fans were waiting until game time was announced before deciding whether or not to buy tickets.
oskidunker
Not interested in crappy Cal tickets. Waiting until the day before and buying on Stub hub.
Go Bears!
Econ141
oskidunker said:

Not interested in crappy Cal tickets. Waiting until the day before and buying on Stub hub.

If I buy them through stub hub, what section should I get to be on the Cal side?
oskidunker
Here is a map showing the visitor side which will be in the Sun all day
https://images.app.goo.gl/uEdxKNw5uDc6TgWr7
Go Bears!
71Bear
Chabbear said:

And the Big Game tickets at Stanford were part of Cal's season tickets and we sat with our neighbors in our own section just like at Memorial.

I think the discontinuation of including Big Game tix in the season ticket package (for both schools) has had a lot to do with the deterioration of interest in the game. Once it stopped being "part of the deal", many fans stopped including it in their schedule planning.

Quite frankly, I think that both Stanford and Cal overplayed their hand regarding game attendance. They forgot that maintaining a garden requires constant attention. Plants wither from the lack of care.
oskidunker
New stadium is too small to continue that.
Go Bears!
OldenBear
please, old fogey pet peeve. It's not Big Game ..... it's THE Big Game. Now get off my lawn.
71Bear
oskidunker said:

New stadium was too small at the time it was reconfigured. However, times have changed and it is no longer too small.
FIFY....
Go!Bears
71Bear said:

oskidunker said:

New stadium was too small at the time it was reconfigured. However, times have changed and it is no longer too small.
FIFY....
makes you wonder if they knew something we should have known...
Big C
OldenBear said:

please, old fogey pet peeve. It's not Big Game ..... it's THE Big Game. Now get off my lawn.
This will be my 45th consecutive and, as far back as I can remember, sometimes the "The" was used, some times not.
Mikeman
Or the 75,000 at Cal
smh
oskidunker said:

..the visitor side which will be in the Sun all day.

likely true, iff sun shines on the day.
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
pasadenaorbust
I remember going to the Big Game at the old Stanford Stadium and recalling how precisely outlined the sections were delineated by either blue and gold or red. It was quite something to see in the sun. A much more scattered pattern these days for games.

Speaking of crowds, I haven't forgiven anyone for that Ohio State debacle a few years back at Memorial.
Cal8285
71Bear said:

oskidunker said:

FIFY....
It is ironic that by shrinking the stadium by 35,000, Stanford reduced the odds of selling out the Big Game. It meant Big Game tickets could no longer be part of season ticket packages, and the fans of the road team were much likely to come out. Which means the tradition of going to every Big Game was gone, and even a lot of home fans didn't care anymore.

Ah, I recall the panic among Cal fans in the first season at the reconfigured LSJU stadium. There were even Cal fans posting on this board who bought season tickets for LSJU games just to be sure they'd get their Big Game tickets, fearing an expensive secondary market for Big Game tickets, and selling the rest of the LSJU season in an effort to make the net price of the Big Game ticket more like face value.

And now, those same people just wait until secondary market prices tank the day before the game in order to get good cheap tickets instead of buying expensive lousy ticket through Cal, knowing the game will never sell out.
OskiDeLaHoya
Two years ago I sat in section 230. It was a mix of Cal and Furd fans, probably skewing a little more Cal. From what I recall, the "core" Cal section, i.e. where the band was seated, was either 124 or 125.

Speaking of: I'm look for 3 cheap tix for me and my two boys. Would love to be surrounded by Cal fans (so 124/125/that endzone would great).
GivemTheAxe
Big C said:

OldenBear said:

This will be my 45th consecutive and, as far back as I can remember, sometimes the "The" was used, some times not.

This will be my 59th BG (58 in a row)
IIRC there were 2 or 3 posters last year that had more
calumnus
Cal8285 said:

71Bear said:

oskidunker said:

FIFY....
It is ironic that by shrinking the stadium by 35,000, Stanford reduced the odds of selling out the Big Game. It meant Big Game tickets could no longer be part of season ticket packages, and the fans of the road team were much likely to come out. Which means the tradition of going to every Big Game was gone, and even a lot of home fans didn't care anymore.

Ah, I recall the panic among Cal fans in the first season at the reconfigured LSJU stadium. There were even Cal fans posting on this board who bought season tickets for LSJU games just to be sure they'd get their Big Game tickets, fearing an expensive secondary market for Big Game tickets, and selling the rest of the LSJU season in an effort to make the net price of the Big Game ticket more like face value.

And now, those same people just wait until secondary market prices tank the day before the game in order to get good cheap tickets instead of buying expensive lousy ticket through Cal, knowing the game will never sell out.

When Stanford shrunk their stadium what SHOULD have happened is the stadium and Big Game tickets would be split 50-50. BOTH schools could then use the inclusion of Big Game ticket for incentivizing season ticket sales.

Stanford seems to be on decline. We may be able to negotiate something better soon and revive the rivalry.
GivemTheAxe
71Bear said:

Chabbear said:

Personally I don't think that not including the BG ticket on season ticket is the cause for the decline in attendance. That decline is symptomatic if overall decline in attendance and an even greater decline among Stanfurd fans.

I think the discontinuation of including Big Game tix in the season ticket package (for both schools) has had a lot to do with the deterioration of interest in the game. Once it stopped being "part of the deal", many fans stopped including it in their schedule planning.

Quite frankly, I think that both Stanford and Cal overplayed their hand regarding game attendance. They forgot that maintaining a garden requires constant attention. Plants wither from the lack of care.
72CalBear
Hopefully if we beat USC, the BG won't be our "bowl game" - this might drive attendance for us. It's a great kickoff time coming up from So Cal. I think with a little work, the Bears might out number Furd fans, it has happened before! The 2003 game there (Bears won 28-16) felt like a home game.
wifeisafurd
calumnus said:

Stanford seems to be on decline. We may be able to negotiate something better soon and revive the rivalry.
Let's get the axe before we start woofing.
wifeisafurd
pasadenaorbust said:

Speaking of crowds, I haven't forgiven anyone for that Ohio State debacle a few years back at Memorial.
They had the best band I have seen (Grambling being second). Cal being third, and Furd being worst than last. One of these decades when we meet them in the Rose Bowl, and we will see who represents the most.
NVBear78
71Bear said:

Chabbear said:

Excellent point 71, I suspect it was shortly after "away" big game tickets were removed from season ticket packages that the games stopped selling out...
OldenBear
OskiDeLaHoya said:

Two years ago I sat in section 230. It was a mix of Cal and Furd fans, probably skewing a little more Cal. From what I recall, the "core" Cal section, i.e. where the band was seated, was either 124 or 125.

Speaking of: I'm look for 3 cheap tix for me and my two boys. Would love to be surrounded by Cal fans (so 124/125/that endzone would great).
wait 'til a few days before the game, then buy the cheapest seats you can find. I'm pretty sure once inside, you'll be able to move wherever you want. The game hardly sells out any more.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.