Stanford Misery Index

2,564 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BearyBearyGood
Sebastabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
from USA Today which weekly tracks the misery of various college football teams. Brought a smile to my face. The universe is finally coming back into alignment, Hoping in two weeks we can crank their index up to 11.

Quote:

Stanford: The reality is starting to sink in. Stanford is back to being mediocre at football. It has been a pretty incredible run of consistency for the Cardinal with 10 straight winning seasons and a couple flirtations with the national championship race. But year by year, the aura of Stanford football has started to fade into a place where you just don't know what you're going to get from week to week. Stanford's opportunity to get a win at Colorado slipped away when the Buffs went 61 yards in 13 plays and hit a 37-yard field goal at the buzzer for a 16-13 win. Stanford is 4-5 and needs to win at Washington State next week in the worst way. But there's a bigger question for the program. Once the hot name for nearly every big job, nobody talks much about David Shaw anymore. But is it getting so difficult to maintain excellence at Stanford that he finally starts looking around for something different after nine years at his alma mater?
wifeisafurd
They have the injury bug bad. Particularly on the o-line. For those that didn't see the Colorado game, Costello took a beating and they very rarely rushed (thought when they did, not bad). But 13 points against a bad Colorado offense is like Cal a few weeks ago. Ugly football. Defense seems vulnerable to being run against, but is good against the pass most games. Since I'm not sure where Cal's offense is at this juncture, can't really comment. WSU matches-up bad against their defense, but I can see WSU having more success on defense against Furd then against Cal.

Also, Parkinson is a first round pick - guy is a man among boys.
510 Bear
I'm wondering if it's premature to say furd is back to being mediocre (just like it's been premature the last few Septembers to say Cal has turned the corner).

Is there anything other than a fluky run of injuries to suggest the glory days are over? They still have a better reputation as a program, and better recruiting, and better lines than us and most of the Pac-12.
Sebastabear
510 Bear said:

I'm wondering if it's premature to say furd is back to being mediocre (just like it's been premature the last few Septembers to say Cal has turned the corner).

Is there anything other than a fluky run of injuries to suggest the glory days are over? They still have a better reputation as a program, and better recruiting, and better lines than us and most of the Pac-12.
I think it's been obvious for years that Shaw is the least creative coach in the PAC 12. Most games there isn't a person in the stadium who doesn't know what his next play is going to be. I remember watching a game last year where he ran the exact same post play in the end zone over and over again until it worked. They succeed because, as you note, their lines were just better or their tight ends were taller or whatever. But when they have injuries and they can't just out athlete the competition watch out. There is no there there.
calumnus
510 Bear said:

They mysteriously fired the strength guy Harbaugh brought in after undisclosed "accusations" by former players. Now team is back to normal size and is more injury prone?
calumnus
Sebastabear said:

510 Bear said:

I think it's been obvious for years that Shaw is the least creative coach in the PAC 12. Most games there isn't a person in the stadium who doesn't know what his next play is going to be. I remember watching a game last year where he ran the exact same post play in the end zone over and over again until it worked. They succeed because, as you note, their lines were just better or their tight ends were taller or whatever. But when they have injuries and they can't just out athlete the competition watch out. There is no there there.

Yes. I was at a Stanford game maybe his first year as HC or earlier when he was OC, and it was the most creatively called game I've ever seen. Base formation was a bunch formation of 2 TEs and a FB on the right side. RB was off-set on the right side, lone receiver on the left side. Base play was pitch right. Then pitch right but the RB goes left. Then fake pitch, throw to TE on the slant, or the RB now in the flat on the right or the WR deep over the middle. Then fake the pitch to the right and the QB runs to the left for 50....

Thought it was Shaw but well might have been Greg Roman since he brought some of that creativity to the Niners.

Now, yeah they act like they can just run over people.

Shaw kinda reminds me of Tedford in his progression.
NVBear78
calumnus said:

510 Bear said:

They mysteriously fired the strength guy Harbaugh brought in after undisclosed "accusations" by former players. Now team is back to normal size and is more injury prone?

Did anyone ever find a word of additional info the strength coach firing? Anything on social media??
Sebastabear
calumnus said:

510 Bear said:

Yeah, good call there. Had forgotten about that one. Quite an interesting coincidence isn't it?
HoopDreams
can we get the Axe back this year?
we could have done it last year...

Go Bears!
wifeisafurd
All this chest pounding would feel a lot better if the Axe was residing in Berkeley. We need to start beating them starting next week. Otherwise, this is all talk.
ducky23
wifeisafurd said:

They have the injury bug bad. Particularly on the o-line. For those that didn't see the Colorado game, Costello took a beating and they very rarely rushed (thought when they did, not bad). But 13 points against a bad Colorado offense is like Cal a few weeks ago. Ugly football. Defense seems vulnerable to being run against, but is good against the pass most games. Since I'm not sure where Cal's offense is at this juncture, can't really comment. WSU matches-up bad against their defense, but I can see WSU having more success on defense against Furd then against Cal.

What's your take on BG? Do we match up better this year than in years past? You think we can run against them?
Sebastabear
wifeisafurd said:

All this chest pounding would feel a lot better if the Axe was residing in Berkeley. We need to start beating them starting next week. Otherwise, this is all talk.
Chest pounding? One thing BI doesn't have a lot of is talking about how great we are. Usually (and by usually I mean always) we talk about how we suck. It's a weird board that way. Read OSU's or Utah's or WSU's boards (just to pick some recent teams we've played) and the amount of woofing is gross. Anyway, delighting in Stanford's reversion to the mean may be a lot of things but chest pounding it ain't. But I do agree we need to start winning for that reversion to mean anything. Really hope that's this year.
wifeisafurd
ducky23 said:

wifeisafurd said:

What's your take on BG? Do we match up better this year than in years past? You think we can run against them?
This is a golden bear opportunity assuming our offense shows-up. They are way more injured than we are.
wifeisafurd
Sebastabear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Chest pounding? One thing BI doesn't have a lot of is talking about how great we are. Usually (and by usually I mean always) we talk about how we suck. It's a weird board that way. Read OSU's or Utah's or WSU's boards (just to pick some recent teams we've played) and the amount of woofing is gross. Anyway, delighting in Stanford's reversion to the mean may be a lot of things but chest pounding it ain't. But I do agree we need to start winning for that reversion to mean anything. Really hope that's this year.
well we are pounding aour chests about the demise of their program that we can't seem to beat.

I get the comments about SC sucking (or at least their coaching)- we beat them at their place. Let's get the axe before we say that Furd is becoming a bottom dweller (or maybe your right, this is our way of ripping on Cal football).
NVBear78
wifeisafurd said:

ducky23 said:

wifeisafurd said:

This is a golden bear opportunity assuming our offense shows-up. They are way more injured than we are.

Are they really and still more injured than us now that Costello is back? Would be interested to compare injury lists.
wifeisafurd
NVBear78 said:

wifeisafurd said:

ducky23 said:

wifeisafurd said:

Are they really and still more injured than us now that Costello is back? Would be interested to compare injury lists.
Costello is playing injured (can't throw a spiral) but plays because back-up Mills is out for the season and third string guy is a Brash situation.

RB: Scarlett is banged-up. but playing. Back-up Soights and Maddox who were to see reps (this was running by committee) are injured. Frosh Jones and a walk getting reps.

Oline: 3 to 4 startes are out depending on game. They start 3 true frosh and they rotate a redshirt frosh and a gimpy starter.

WRs/TE: Farily in tact; Best unit.

DL: Williams is the only reliable starter. Back-up Shaffer and Wade have to play most reps. Still probably their best d unit when Toohill comes up on the line.

LB: Toohill is the only stater standing. They had big losses to graduation. Robinson was supposed to be a stud, but he is gone to injury. Magnum-Farrar, another starter, is injured. Miejan, who started last year, is injured. So they are starting 3 back-ups.

DBs: Adebo is good and healthy. The other starting CB went down to injury. Starting a true frosh. Safeties: One starter went down and they are playing another true frosh, Jonathan McGill (no relation to Moraga). The other safety also was injured and frosh Blu has been playing, but the starter, Obi, is expected back.

Special teams: all conference PK Jet Toner is gone for the season.

I will let you do the comparison to Cal.

But if there ever was a year for Cal to take advantage....

BearyBearyGood
Adebo is no longer healthy. He is out a few weeks now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.