Story Poster
Photo by John Hefti-USA TODAY Sports
Cal Football

Garbers Bounces Back From Injury to Start vs USC

November 15, 2019

Seven weeks after going down to injury with a broken collarbone vs. ASU, starting QB Chase Garbers has healed sufficiently to earn the start vs USC Saturday the Bears announced Friday..

Garbers had just turned the corner after a tough start to the season, putting together a strong game vs. Ole Miss in Cal’s road victory in Oxford and a solid start in the ASU game in game five in Berkeley before the injury derailed his progress.

He’s been back throwing for the past two weeks and practicing with the team this week.

Backup QB Devon Modster had a strong game vs. WSU in the Bears’ 33-20 win last weekend in Memorial and with the progress he’s made, the Bears stand in better condition with QB depth than they have in a while.

Saturday night’s Joe Roth Memorial Game will kick off at 8 pm in Memorial Stadium and will feature a Jared Goff Bobblehead Night giveaway to the first 10,000 fans.

It will also be Senior Day, where all of Cal’s expected departing grads will be honored prior to the game.

Discussion from...

Garbers Bounces Back From Injury to Start vs USC

11,549 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 72CalBear
NYCGOBEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow! I suspect that we'll know very quickly how rusty Chase is. Hope he tears it up.
71Bear
NYCGOBEARS said:

Wow! I suspect that we'll know very quickly how rusty Chase is. Hope he tears it up.
Garbers is a better QB than Modster. His selection as the starter tells me that he had a good week of practice and is ready to go....
75bear
Misspelling Jared Goff? C'mon Moraga, you're better than that!

Thanks for the good news article.
Econ141
I'm a little worried to say the least but the sooner we start him the sooner he will be back to his old form and rebuild chemistry with the team.

Hoping for the best but so glad we have modster in the wings. Love his long throws and I can't say I'm not worried about Chase being able to replicate that (even without the injury)
Sebastabear
Really interesting that Cal announced that a day early. Seems like we normally try to keep this stuff secret (with varying ability and effect) until kick off. Particularly with QBs. I'm sure they think it's somehow an advantage to announce today (no way Wilcox didn't weigh that heavily) but I wonder what it is. Anyway, glad to see Chase is healed enough to be comfortable getting out there. Great stuff.
ducky23
Sebastabear said:

Really interesting that Cal announced that a day early. Seems like we normally try to keep this stuff secret (with varying ability and effect) until kick off. Particularly with QBs. I'm sure they think it's somehow an advantage to announce today (no way Wilcox didn't weigh that heavily) but I wonder what it is. Anyway, glad to see Chase is healed enough to be comfortable getting out there. Great stuff.

Agreed. I'm sure SC was thinking it was most likely going to be modster. So i think they would've been pretty surprised to see garbers trotting out there

Like you said, I'm sure there's a reason. Just can't see what it is.

Maybe all of SC's prep has already been done, so it doesn't really matter at this point?
Big C
Sebastabear said:

As of today, it's too late for $C to do anything about it in practice. But maybe NOW, they start thinking about it, but w/o the possibility to DO anything. Or maybe they TRY and make some last-minute adjustments, but they don't have the time to implement them effectively, so they play with uncertainty.

Mind games...
Trumpanzee
I hope he doesn't run......
MilleniaBear
5,000? Thought it was 10,000. How many did they allocate for the luxury boxes?
MathTeacherMike
Stylistically, they are not much different and Cal's offense is not really different. I suspect when SC found out that Garbers was starting they reacted with a yawn and a shrug. Their game plan won't change a bit.
72CalBear
IdahoBear said:

Huh? You either play the game or you don't. He no doubt will do whatever a QB needs to do to be successful.
tequila4kapp
MathTeacherMike said:

Stylistically, they are not much different and Cal's offense is not really different. I suspect when SC found out that Garbers was starting they reacted with a yawn and a shrug. Their game plan won't change a bit.
Interesting. I think they are reasonably different. Modster is much more of a running threat and throws a better deep ball. Garbers is more accurate on short and intermediate throws.
71Bear
tequila4kapp said:

MathTeacherMike said:

Interesting. I think they are reasonably different. Modster is much more of a running threat and throws a better deep ball. Garbers is more accurate on short and intermediate throws.
re: running threat, you got it backwards, Garbers yes; Modster, no.
KoreAmBear
Back to multiple/RPO? I enjoyed power football while it lasted for one game.
UrsineMaximus
The scheme on offense, last week, was much different than it has been for 2 + years. In theory that was to fit Modster's strengths. I liked last week's offense a lot. $C does not have to worry about the long ball tomorrow, which is a damn shame given their poor DB play all year.
hanky1
Modster throws a better deep ball but Garbers does most everything else better.

Deep balls are important though.
Econ141
UrsineMaximus said:

The scheme on offense, last week, was much different than it has been for 2 + years. In theory that was to fit Modster's strengths. I liked last week's offense a lot. $C does not have to worry about the long ball tomorrow, which is a damn shame given their poor DB play all year.

The jokes on USC - since they didn't know they had to prepare for garbers until today, they spent all their time practicing against the long ball.

:facepalm
TouchedTheAxeIn82
tequila4kapp said:

Interesting. I think they are reasonably different.

This. Unless I'm imagining it, Modster is far more likely to get under center. Garbers hardly ever gets under center. I just did a quick skim of the WSU game, and from under center, Modster did a play-action and threw down field to a wide-open Duncan, and did a fake handoff to Brown and tossed a reverse that went for a good gain. Modster looks perfectly comfortable running plays from under center. I think Garbers only gets under center at the goal line or on a 3rd/4th and short. Aside from issues of accuracy and decision-making, I think the offense is more versatile with Modster.
sonofabear51
Agreed. But I guess the coaches know better. I don't.
chazzed
Maybe that's why Helton is on the cusp of being fired: His staff approaches all QBs the same way.
calumnus
71Bear said:

tequila4kapp said:

MathTeacherMike said:

Agreed. Modster is more of a pro-style, bigger arm, moves around in the pocket well and can scramble for a first down. Reminds me of Russell Wilson or Rodgers. Garbers is the running threat, weaker arm but good decision making maybe Steve Young?
71Bear
calumnus said:

71Bear said:

tequila4kapp said:

MathTeacherMike said:

Agreed. Modster is more of a pro-style, bigger arm, moves around in the pocket well and can scramble for a first down. Reminds me of Russell Wilson or Rodgers. Garbers is the running threat, weaker arm but good decision making.
Hang on. Did you just compare Modster to two guys who are among the five best QB's in professional football?

Modster is a guy who will never be a first unit QB in college. How in the world can he possibly be compared to guys who will probably end up in the Hall of Fame?

Heck, Modster lost two games this season that Garbers would have easily won - ASU and OSU. I'll take Garbers over Modster every day regardless of the opposition.
calumnus
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

tequila4kapp said:

This. Unless I'm imagining it, Modster is far more likely to get under center. Garbers hardly ever gets under center. I just did a quick skim of the WSU game, and from under center, Modster did a play-action and threw down field to a wide-open Duncan, and did a fake handoff to Brown and tossed a reverse that went for a good gain. Modster looks perfectly comfortable running plays from under center. I think Garbers only gets under center at the goal line or on a 3rd/4th and short. Aside from issues of accuracy and decision-making, I think the offense is more versatile with Modster.

Agreed. I would have gone the other way: start Modster under center and only bring in Garbers in if Modster is ineffective, but hoping Garbers kills it.
calumnus
71Bear said:

calumnus said:

71Bear said:

tequila4kapp said:

MathTeacherMike said:

Agreed. Modster is more of a pro-style, bigger arm, moves around in the pocket well and can scramble for a first down. Reminds me of Russell Wilson or Rodgers. Garbers is the running threat, weaker arm but good decision making.
Hang on. Did you just compare Modster to two guys who are among the five best QB's in professional football?

Modster is a guy who will never be a first unit QB in college. How in the world can he possibly be compared to guys who will probably end up in the Hall of Fame?

Heck, Modster lost two games this season that Garbers would have easily won - ASU and OSU. I'll take Garbers over Modster every day regardless of the opposition.

I was comparing in style, but as long as we are at it, Rodgers had a worse game against OSU in 2003.

I think BOTH Garbers and Modster are good college quarterbacks, very deserving of the 4 stars they were given as recruits. I don't know why you are denigrating Modster after his performance last week and his play at UCLA as a freshman, but I will be rooting for Garbers to kill it tomorrow. I've been a Garbers supporter since his first start last year when many were writing him off.
heartofthebear
71Bear said:

tequila4kapp said:

MathTeacherMike said:

So I guess the only adjustment needed is to bring up the safeties when Garbers is at QB.
GivemTheAxe
71Bear said:

tequila4kapp said:

MathTeacherMike said:

Disagree on the running ability
I would say they are about equal. If anything Modster seems a bit stronger ( shaking off a few arm grabs).
But I would defer to the coach's decision
chazzed
I'm with 71Bear. In my eyes, Garbers is superior when it comes to running the ball. He appears a tad faster and he's superior at setting up defenders.
KoreAmBear
calumnus said:

71Bear said:

calumnus said:

71Bear said:

tequila4kapp said:

MathTeacherMike said:

I was comparing in style, but as long as we are at it, Rodgers had a worse game against OSU in 2003.

I think BOTH Garbers and Modster are good college quarterbacks, very deserving of the 4 stars they were given as recruits. I don't know why you are denigrating Modster after his performance last week and his play at UCLA as a freshman, but I will be rooting for Garbers to kill it tomorrow. I've been a Garbers supporter since his first start last year when many were writing him off.

I don't get 71's strange obsession with BB and Chase. If you are going to put down Modster's games v ASU and OSU as he was still learning the Cal offense, then don't act like Garbers played great all season when in reality he only played one good entire game v Ole Miss. If he plays like that v SC then yes I think Garbers has a little more upside, but that's no sure thing after 6 weeks without live football, and with Modster having an equally efficient game last week v Wazzu after a few weeks of practicing with the 1s (remember he couldn't even practice with the 2s until week of Ole Miss game), I still think Modster should start. Hey if Garbers lights it up though I'll be glad to be wrong. Go Bears!
Trumpanzee
72CalBear said:

IdahoBear said:

Huh? You either play the game or you don't. He no doubt will do whatever a QB needs to do to be successful.

If he has the option to throw or get rid of the ball that would be my first choice for CG. But when you are under center and you're facing the rollin Samoans they could just as easily crush you sitting in the pocket.
Trumpanzee
IdahoBear said:

72CalBear said:

IdahoBear said:

If he has the option to throw or get rid of the ball that would be my first choice for CG. But when you are under center and you're facing the rollin Samoans they could just as easily crush you sitting in the pocket.

Or maybe he just takes off running on the first play for a long TD, I'm good either way! Go Bears!
Trumpanzee
72CalBear said:

IdahoBear said:

Would like to like to change your thoughts now?
calumnus
IdahoBear said:

72CalBear said:

IdahoBear said:

Too predictable. Then we have Modster running the RPO game plan that was tailored for Garbers.
FloriDreaming
Sooo... Grand Re-Opening, Grand Re-Closing?
Pigskin Pete
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

tequila4kapp said:

Well, it also matters that we weren't up against WSU's defense this week.
72CalBear
IdahoBear said:

72CalBear said:

IdahoBear said:

I didn't call a designated run for him.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.