Random Observations from the UCLA game

8,289 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by altacalifornia
Sebastabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And we're off . . .

Had a ton of fun at the Cal tailgate pre-game. Many thanks to Fyght4Cal and the LA alumni association for putting that on. First class all the way. Had a full open bar which I haven't seen us do before at one of these but definitely helped get the crew ready for kick-off.

Cal brought the largest version of the straw hat band I've ever seen to this one - 85 members. Full band is only a bit over 200. We used busses to get some of them down but the other kids who live in SoCal and were down for the holiday just came on their own.

So little known fact, an 85 person marching band in a room that sits about 350 is loud. Awesomely, ear-splittingly loud. Here's their performance of Separate Ways (one of my personal favorites). Check out the girl with the cymbals about 1:05 and 1:45 in. She's basically the Evan Weaver of percussion and my new favorite band member.

dimitrig

Cal Band Great!
Sebastabear
Knowlton gave a little speech at the tailgate. Best piece of news was that he announced that the PAC 12 had levied a fine for us rushing the field after the Big Game . . . against Stanford. Bwahhahahah!

Look for an enhanced police presence when we return in 2021, but for now I'm just going to count this as a W.
Sebastabear
I don't care what anyone says. Driving across and parking on a golf course feels very weird. This thing was a muddy mess after only a moderate amount of rain (at least moderate by NorCal standards). Can't imagine what would happen if a heavy storm ever coincided with a game.

Good news is I avoided driving into the sand traps. Bad news was that's probably the first time I've been able to successfully avoid the sand traps on a golf course this year.
JSC 76
Don't we usually send the full band (in uniform) to LA every year? Why just Straw Hat this year?

(IIRC, the Band goes to Stanford, USC/UCLA, and bowl games.)
TheSouseFamily
TheSouseFamily
Sebastabear said:

I don't care what anyone says. Driving across and parking on a golf course feels very weird. This thing was a muddy mess after only a moderate amount of rain (at least moderate by NorCal standards). Can't imagine what would happen if a heavy storm ever coincided with a game.

Good news is I avoided driving into the sand traps. Bad news was that's probably the first time I've been able to successfully avoid the sand traps on a golf course this year.

In high school, I used to play Brookside every day after school during my year on the Flintridge Prep golf team since that was our "home" course All things considered, it's impressive that the course is even playable the following Monday but it always was. It was definitely a bit chewed up but by and large, you'd never guess it just had thousands of cars and tailgaters on it. Their clean up crew must be massive.
Sebastabear
The announced attendance of 38,000 was a joke. I think it was closer to 38.

Sebastabear
Cal section was the most densely populated, but that's not saying much. To be fair, it was pretty cold and it was late, blah, blah, blah. Personally I just put on a jacket and my rain suit and was fine. And let me just sat nothing says "I'm here to party" like a man in plastic pants.

SFCALBear72
JSC 76 said:

Don't we usually send the full band (in uniform) to LA every year? Why just Straw Hat this year?

Not when the LA game is after Thanksgiving.

The full band went to Oregon instead this year and UW last season. Band members got to choose the alternative road trips. A friend of mine is an Assistant Band Director.
Sebastabear
Sat in the Rose Bowl equivalent of our University Club for this one. Actually really nice and Cal could take a few pointers from them. Here's a picture of the line at the bar. Mind you these drinks are free, or at least prepaid with your ticket price.

But some stuff was odd. They had giant freezers full of Fiji water to take to your seat. Cal has bottled water too, but Fiji water? Is the goal to get the most environmentally impactful bottled water possible? Was the version with rhino horns and baby tiger teeth unavailable?
Sebastabear
A lot has been discussed about Weaver's kick / unsportsmanlike penalty. What I haven't seen anyone else mention is that the one that got flagged was actually the second time he kicked the ball that game. He'd actually kicked the ball on an earlier series after a stop and it went about 5 yards. We talked about it at the time and that he was lucky he didn't get flagged for that. But it wasn't clear to us if it was intentional or not (and I'm guessing also wasn't clear to the refs). Well a few series later he launched it and it was very clear to everyone what he'd done since it flew a mile (clear to everyone except apparently to the refs who initially announced it was on Deng).

I have no idea what was going one with Weaver there, but it was no accident or spur of the moment thing. I think if anyone else had done that they would have spent the rest of the game on the sideline. Even from across the field we could see how mad Wilcox was. Guessing we won't be seeing another one of those again.
SRBear
Maybe they'll just start fencing us in again.
Big C
SRBear said:

Referring to Stanfurd, right?

Brings up an interesting scenario: So, I appreciated them letting us onto the field after Big Game. Surely, the pic of I have of my kids with Evan Weaver will be a family treasure. However, how would I be if THEY won at CMS and wanted to go out on the field? Probably not so good. In fact, in the unlikely scenario that they had enough fans at Memorial and actually wanted to do this, I could picture a brawl erupting.

I'm no David Shaw fan -- at all -- but he had a good quote after their ND game when asked how he felt about opposing fans celebrating on their field, two weeks in a row. (I guess some ND fans went down onto the field, too?) He said something very close to: "I'm not paying any attention to it. To the victors go the spoils. I know we plan on celebrating on other schools' turf next season."
JSC 76
SFCALBear72 said:

JSC 76 said:

Not when the LA game is after Thanksgiving.

The full band went to Oregon instead this year and UW last season. Band members got to choose the alternative road trips. A friend of mine is an Assistant Band Director.
Did not know that -- thanks.

(Since playing *anywhere* after Thanksgiving is a relatively new phenomena, I can be forgiven for not recognizing the pattern.)
Sebastabear
In the "haven't seen that before" category, UCLA trotted out a dude on their dance team. Not their cheer team mind you. There have been male cheerleaders forever (actually since before there were female cheerleaders). Often need them for the more elaborate cheer stunts. No, this was the dance squad. The ones at Cal who wear the blue sparkly dresses. Three observations.

1. I never realized how much of these dance routines involve hair flipping. With as much as he was waving his head back and forth trying to keep up I think someone should put him in a concussion protocol.

2. For some reason he was the only one who wasn't given pompoms. I'm pretty sure there's a joke in there somewhere but I'm struggling to find it.

3. He was a damn good dancer. Crazy leg extensions.

Anyway, the UCLA fans I was sitting with said this was a new one for them as well. Definitely not a regular part of their dance team. I was also with a few girls from New Zealand, who are athletes at another school. I think the game itself bored them to death but they were fascinated by the dance team. Pretty sure that's all they'll remember of the game.

71Bear
Big C said:

SRBear said:

Brings up an interesting scenario: So, I appreciated them letting us onto the field after Big Game. Surely, the pic of I have of my kids with Evan Weaver will be a family treasure. However, how would I be if THEY won at CMS and wanted to go out on the field? Probably not so good. In fact, in the unlikely scenario that they had enough fans at Memorial and actually wanted to do this, I could picture a brawl erupting.

I'm no David Shaw fan -- at all -- but he had a good quote after their ND game when asked how he felt about opposing fans celebrating on their field, two weeks in a row. (I guess some ND fans went down onto the field, too?) He said something very close to: "I'm not paying any attention to it. To the victors go the spoils. I know we plan on celebrating on other schools' turf next season."
Auburn was fined $250,000 for allowing their fans on to the field following last Saturday's game v. Alabama. It is a practice that has reached the end of its shelf life. Someday, someone will be injured and the school will face a hefty lawsuit for not controlling the crowd per conference policy........
Sebastabear
71Bear said:

Big C said:

SRBear said:

Auburn was fined $250,000 for allowing their fans on to the field following last Saturday's game v. Alabama. It is a practice that has reached the end of its shelf life. Someday, someone will be injured and the school will face a hefty lawsuit for not controlling the crowd per conference policy........
That was their 4th violation so the fine was escalated. And I'm pretty sure they still thought it was worth it. And I'm pretty sure someday someone will be seriously injured typing a post on BI, but that doesn't mean we should shut it down. And bah humbug.
Chapman_is_Gone
Sebastabear said:

In the "haven't seen that before" category, UCLA trotted out a dude on their dance team. Not their cheer team mind you. There have been male cheerleaders forever (actually since before there were female cheerleaders). Often need them for the more elaborate cheer stunts. No, this was the dance squad. The ones at Cal who wear the blue sparkly dresses.

It seems you may have encountered a chutney ferret?!

I've never seen one in real life but my pops told me to keep away.
LMK5
Sebastabear said:

71Bear said:

Big C said:

SRBear said:

That was their 4th violation so the fine was escalated. And I'm pretty sure they still thought it was worth it. And I'm pretty sure someday someone will be seriously injured typing a post on BI, but that doesn't mean we should shut it down. And bah humbug.
+1000. We need more passion at sporting events. Not less.
ncbears
Sebastabear said:

In the "haven't seen that before" category, UCLA trotted out a dude on their dance team. Not their cheer team mind you. There have been male cheerleaders forever (actually since before there were female cheerleaders). Often need them for the more elaborate cheer stunts. No, this was the dance squad. The ones at Cal who wear the blue sparkly dresses. Three observations.

1. I never realized how much of these dance routines involve hair flipping. With as much as he was waving his head back and forth trying to keep up I think someone should put him in a concussion protocol.

2. For some reason he was the only one who wasn't given pompoms. I'm pretty sure there's a joke in there somewhere but I'm struggling to find it.

Anyway, the UCLA fans I was sitting with said this was a new one for them as well. Definitely not a regular part of their dance team. I was also with a few girls from New Zealand, who are athletes at another school. I think the game itself bored them to death but they were fascinated by the dance team. Pretty sure that's all they'll remember of the game.

Colorado has a male on its dance team. Guy next to Chip and in this video: Vlog from away game at ASU
Sebastabear
ncbears said:

Sebastabear said:

Colorado has a male on its dance team. Guy next to Chip and in this video: Vlog from away game at ASU
I notice they gave him pompoms.
joe amos yaks
Most excellent cymbals !
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
Bobodeluxe
joe amos yaks said:

Most excellent cymbals !
Are you talking about the male dancers?
Sebastabear
Apparently one of the UCLA players made kitten whiskers out of his eye black. You just can't make this stuff up.

HighlandDutch
Sebastabear said:

Apparently one of the UCLA players made kitten whiskers out of his eye black. You just can't make this stuff up.

He probably came straight to the game from his audition for an off-off-off-off-off-Broadway production of Cats.

I can't tell from the picture whether he was trying out for Skimbleshanks or Mr. Mistoffelees....er, not that I know much about that particular musical....
LMK5
I was also at the UCLA game. The crowd was on the low side as expected, but you'd think that the folks that made the effort to go would have been all in, but no, the crowd was quite subdued from the outset. I'm really floored by the lack of energy in the UCLA fans.
ncbears
LMK5 said:

I was also at the UCLA game. The crowd was on the low side as expected, but you'd think that the folks that made the effort to go would have been all in, but no, the crowd was quite subdued from the outset. I'm really floored by the lack of energy in the UCLA fans.
And those that were there, in true LA fashion, came late - filling in by the end of the first quarter - and then departing when the fourth quarter started. It truly was Bear Territory by the end of the game.
Sebastabear
HighlandDutch said:

Sebastabear said:

He probably came straight to the game from his audition for an off-off-off-off-off-Broadway production of Cats.

I can't tell from the picture whether he was trying out for Skimbleshanks or Mr. Mistoffelees....er, not that I know much about that particular musical....
Memory, all alone in the moonlight
I can dream of the old days
I was beautiful then
I remember the time I knew what happiness was
Let the memory live again.

It's basically the UCLA theme song. You may be on to something there.
joe amos yaks
The performance by the female cymbal players. . . third and fourth from camera left.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
LMK5
ncbears said:

LMK5 said:

And those that were there, in true LA fashion, came late - filling in by the end of the first quarter - and then departing when the fourth quarter started. It truly was Bear Territory by the end of the game.
My kid in the UCLA band said she felt there were more Cal fans than UCLA fans.
OldenBear
Yeah, I don't get the kitten whiskers either....saw that on the broadcast - ***? But you've never seen this guy??

something must be in the water in Westwood
Hail2Calif
We sat in Section 6, across the field from your pictures, about the 25 yard line, just 20 rows up (wanted to try a different, low angle than usually at Memorial). During the 2nd quarter, the dance team was on our side of the field and my daughters were both so impressed by his dancing, kicks, and overall energy.

Contrast that (in their opinions) to the yell leaders who couldn't move in sync or even coordinate when they would use their megaphones to the left or to the right.

All in all, an enjoyable evening. Loved the crowd noise on UCLA's last drive - especially as they got to 1st and goal near the end. I think by then, all the UCLA fans had left and there were only Cal fans in our section - and we went nuts when Davis came in for the game ending 4th down tackle.

Looking forward to bowling with you all - go Bears!
Sebastabear
So UCLA definitely is mic'ing their band. I know that's not a secret but it was kind of freaky to see (hear) it in action. We sat on the 15 and the UCLA band was at the other end of the field but it sounded like they were right underneath us. I kept peering over the edge to see where that sound was coming from. Actually sounded pretty good - didn't have any weird echoes. Of course made it very hard to hear the Cal band. I think I've moved from modestly opposed to doing this in Memorial to modestly in favor - particularly if the USC band is in our house. Would like to crank our guys up to 11 and blast those SOBs back to LA.
LMK5
Sebastabear said:

So UCLA definitely is mic'ing their band. I know that's not a secret but it was kind of freaky to see (hear) it in action. We sat on the 15 and the UCLA band was at the other end of the field but it sounded like they were right underneath us. I kept peering over the edge to see where that sound was coming from. Actually sounded pretty good - didn't have any weird echoes. Of course made it very hard to hear the Cal band. I think I've moved from modestly opposed to doing this in Memorial to modestly in favor - particularly if the USC band is in our house. Would like to crank our guys up to 11 and blast those SOBs back to LA.
I have one daughter in the Cal Band and another in the UCLA band. I accused my UCLA kid of trying to drown out the little Cal Band. Yes, they were miked, but they also started playing when the Cal band played many times. Palms of Victory was heard in its entirety though!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.