And we aren't recruiting this kid because?

4,550 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FloriDreaming
UrsineMaximus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.hudl.com/v/2BZ7fi
Cave Bear
Very impressive, but we already have 2 QB commits...

Wish we were recruiting him though. Any QB that has offers from both Boise and WSU is a player I'd be targeting.
Cal84
Big kid, decent arm, seems to see the field/receivers really well even while avoiding rush (that one where he finds a receiver while rolling left in total fog out conditions was pretty cool). But yeah, we got 2 QBs already.
82gradDLSdad
This kid will throw for about one million yards playing for Leach.
dimitrig

How are his grades?
Golden One
Cave Bear said:

Yes, but if he shows more promise than the two that we have, why not make him an offer. Competition is good.
jy1988
Salinas plays in a tough league. Hmmm.
Cave Bear
Golden One said:

Cave Bear said:

Yes, but if he shows more promise than the two that we have, why not make him an offer. Competition is good.
Do you mean taking 3 QBs or pulling the offer from 1 of our current 2 commits?
Bear19
Do you know that we didn't recruit him? If he doesn't have the grades, or he told Cal he preferred a MWC team because of blueblood's posts on BI, or we did not recruit him, or BB thinks the other two QBs are better, all could be possibilities.
chalcidbear
Looks like a good QB, but it probably helps when you have receivers a head taller than the opponent's DBs.

Also, not a knock on him, but he seems to have a weird running style - almost lumbering.
6956bear
dimitrig said:

How are his grades?

Excellent. Very good student.
mbBear
UrsineMaximus said:

Because the Cal people who have football recruiting as a full-time job can't possibly know about this kid...
6956bear
Richardson is a good prospect. I was hoping he would be offered over Johnson. But Johnson is a good player as well. Casey is a good prospect and Cal now has some real depth in the QB room and is involved with a couple of 2021 Qbs that may be elite prospects, but very good prospects at the very least.
TandemBear
Bear19 said:

Do you know that we didn't recruit him? If he doesn't have the grades, or he told Cal he preferred a MWC team because of blueblood's posts on BI, or we did not recruit him, or BB thinks the other two QBs are better, all could be possibilities.
If BB thinks the other two QBs are better, RECRUIT HIM IMMEDIATELY!!!
Golden One
Cave Bear said:

Golden One said:

Cave Bear said:

Take 3. It increases the chances that one of our new QB's will be really good.
Cave Bear
Golden One said:

Cave Bear said:

Golden One said:

Cave Bear said:

Take 3. It increases the chances that one of our new QB's will be really good.
Risky but I like it. Now is definitely the time to strike for our next QB. Assuming Garbers is our guy the next two years, this crop would be RS sophomores by the time a new QB is needed
Cave Bear
Bear19 said:

I don't know whether we did recruit him or if not why we didn't, but he has offers from Yale and Columbia so I assume grades can't be an issue
SDBear44
His brother is at Stanford. Both of his parents are alums and active there.
BearlyCareAnymore
UrsineMaximus said:

I always bring this up in situations like this. Years ago on this board there was a running back who was on our list. Somebody posted his highlight film. A bunch of people went nuts that we had to get the kid. Turned out the highlight film was of a kid from a couple years before who had the same name. That kid had ended up at a Division III school.

I'm not commenting on this kid in particular. I'm just saying I'm not bagging on the staff for not recruiting a kid based on seeing his high school film. If this kid has torn it up in college, we can revisit whether we should have recruited him. Happy to do it. Todd Bozeman. Eddie House. Nuff said. But I've seen a lot of awesome film over the years that didn't translate to DI. One thing I know. I don't know more than our recruiters.
calumnus
SDBear44 said:

Might be he grew up hating Cal.....
Golden One
SDBear44 said:

Well, then I guess we know where he will end up.
UrsineMaximus
Bear19 said:

Grades? Yale and Columbia offered him, what do you think of that? Did you even just glance at his bio or game tape??

I know we didn't offer him. BB really hasn't shown an ability to develop or recruit QBs at this level, I'm not sure his opinion matters much given he is out the door by the end of the year.
UrsineMaximus
mbBear said:

UrsineMaximus said:

Because the Cal people who have football recruiting as a full-time job can't possibly know about this kid...
I think you are onto something here....
heartofthebear
I looked at about 7 minutes of the tape and have concluded that he will probably end up at Oregon because he is already familiar with not wearing the same uniform or colors 2 times in a row.

OK, more seriously, he looks good but here's why--
  • He's playing with confidence
  • The confidence seems to be because pretty much all of his offensive personnel are winning their 1-1 match-ups, at least in the taped moments.
  • When you can trust your offensive personnel, you can take chances and that makes you look better.
  • It also helps rack up stats.
  • He does have nice mechanics, a strong lower body to support those mechanics and a strong arm
  • He generally makes good decisions on where to throw the ball and is able to get it there.

At Cal he would have to work hard to remain confident when his offensive personnel is unable to support him. I do think that the Leach system is designed better to guarantee positive match-ups. I don't know about Boise St. but I think he would succeed there as well.

I hope Cal makes a play. I think he's got a lot of natural talent and is probably better than Johnson.
wallyball2003
This is a freshman lineman at Sacred Heart prep in SF. It'll be interesting to watch his development. Knows how to hold a block even as a freshman.

MugsVanSant
I was wondering why we aren't recruiting Rasheed Rankin, a linebacker and running back at Rancho Cotate High School. Rasheed has a better time in the 40 than the average at the NFL combine for fullbacks, weighs 220, and squats 525. He is an outstanding young man in every way.
82gradDLSdad
wallyball2003 said:

This is a freshman lineman at Sacred Heart prep in SF. It'll be interesting to watch his development. Knows how to hold a block even as a freshman.

Wow, a good looking football recruit from my high school. They are very few and very far between. Btw, it's Sacred Heart Cathedral in SF. SH Prep is in Belmont.
Blueblood
Quote from Salinas Times:

"I hope to play in the Mountain West Conference. I occassionally read the posts on Cal Insiders Board
where I read a poster claimed the Mountain West is the best for player exposure to the elements."
FloriDreaming
mbBear said:

UrsineMaximus said:

Let's just say up to now the Cal people who have football recruiting as a full-time job haven't produced much of a body of work over the past few years. Not saying they totally suck, but their judgment is highly questionable at best.
UrsineMaximus
heartofthebear said:

I looked at about 7 minutes of the tape and have concluded that he will probably end up at Oregon because he is already familiar with not wearing the same uniform or colors 2 times in a row.

• The confidence seems to be because pretty much all of his offensive personnel are winning their 1-1 match-ups, at least in the taped moments.
  • When you can trust your offensive personnel, you can take chances and that makes you look better.
  • He does have nice mechanics, a strong lower body to support those mechanics and a strong arm
  • He generally makes good decisions on where to throw the ball and is able to get it there.

At Cal he would have to work hard to remain confident when his offensive personnel is unable to support him. I do think that the Leach system is designed better to guarantee positive match-ups. I don't know about Boise St. but I think he would succeed there as well.

I hope Cal makes a play. I think he's got a lot of natural talent and is probably better than Johnson.
Zach Johnson 6'1", 190# offers from (per 24/7): Cal, William & Mary

Carl Richardson 6'4" 205# offers from (per 24/7): Boise State, Washington State, Columbia, Yale, Fresno State, Nevada, Colorado State, Idaho, Howard, San Diego

I've watched both of their tape, Richardson is >>>>>>>>>> Johnson.
UrsineMaximus
Blueblood said:

Quote fro Salinas Times:

"I hope to play in the Mountain West Conference. I occassionally readthe postson Cal Insiders Board
where I read a poster claimed the Mountain West is the best for player exposure."
Oh, I have not seen that article, ty.
Big C
UrsineMaximus said:

heartofthebear said:

Carl Richardson 6'4" 205# offers from (per 24/7): Boise State, Washington State, Columbia, Yale, Fresno State, Nevada, Colorado State, Idaho, Howard, San Diego

Why do you think we offered Johnson and not Richardson?
UrsineMaximus
Big C said:

UrsineMaximus said:

heartofthebear said:

Why do you think we offered Johnson and not Richardson?
You're being facetious right? You know BI as well as several other sites make this type of information readily available, right? But I think my first thought is correct, you're just being funny.
GBear4Life
UrsineMaximus said:

Cuz Beau Baldwin is asleep at the wheel. He'd just ruin his development anyways
FloriDreaming
The reason he's not being considered is because he has no relation to Lane Kiffin. Case closed.
Admin, please delete this nonsensical thread. It's taking up valuable Lane Kiffin space.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.