Beau Baldwin to Cal Poly

27,032 Views | 174 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bear19
TheSouseFamily
How long do you want to ignore this user?
" Barring a late-stage break down in talks, Beau Baldwin is expected to be the next head coach at Cal Poly, sources told FootballScoop on Monday.

Sources told FootballScoop no signatures are in place at this time, but both sides anticipate a deal getting done.

Baldwin is currently the assistant head coach, offensive coordinator and running backs coach at Cal, a job he has held for the past three years.

Prior to that, Baldwin was the head coach at Eastern Washington a Big Sky Conference rival of Cal Poly from 2008-16. He went 85-32 with five Big Sky titles, six FCS playoff berths and a national championship in 2010. He was also the head coach at Central Washington in 2007, going 10-3 with a trip to the Division II quarterfinals.

Sources also told FootballScoop that Cal Poly approached Oregon running backs coach and run game coordinator Jim Mastro about the job, but the former Cal Poly running back and assistant coach is expected to remain at Oregon. Oregon is planning to ensure Mastro remains in Eugene for the foreseeable future, sources say.

Cal Poly went 3-8 in 2019. Tim Walsh retired after 11 seasons leading the Mustangs on Nov. 25."

CalAlumnus13
This is basically the same level of job Baldwin had at EWU, isn't it?

Can't imagine a lateral transfer was what he hoped to get out of his time at a Power 5 program.
NYCGOBEARS
EWU is a much better program. Although, SLO is a much better location. I think he's originally from the central coast?
Alkiadt
NYCGOBEARS said:

EWU is a much better program. Although, SLO is a much better location. I think he's originally from the central coast?
No, he's from the State of Washington.
philbert
Good for Baldwin and good for Cal FB.
AXLBear
Seems like a win win?
rkt88edmo
Definitely feels win win.
touchdownbears43
Oh man huge win win
CAL4LIFE
Okay, part one is complete. Part two is who can Wilcox attract to Cal that will move the coaching needle offensively for this program?
TheSouseFamily
rkt88edmo said:

Seems like a good resolution for all parties if true, but I have to imagine it involves a pay cut for BB.
NYCGOBEARS
TheSouseFamily said:

rkt88edmo said:

Seems like a good resolution for all parties if true, but I have to imagine it involves a pay cut for BB.

Big pay cut but a soft landing.
YamhillBear
Interesting on a couple levels (if true). As mentioned, the Cal Poly HC spot is a step down from his previous stint at E Washington (better program in same conference). That implies that there was some sort of push for him to make the move. Did we push him out or at least nudge him out? Did he simply see the cards didn't imply him being here long term (and/or realize he wouldn't be heir apparent to HC spot and/or not see HC coming open for a while), did it have anything to do with the reported unhappiness of his wife with the Bay Area (and maybe SLO being more appealing to them)?
510 Bear
Well, it's finally happened. Hope this is a good move for him and for us.

Also, in case anyone forgot, we play them in 9 months.
calpoly
TheSouseFamily said:

" Barring a late-stage break down in talks, Beau Baldwin is expected to be the next head coach at Cal Poly, sources told FootballScoop on Monday.

Sources told FootballScoop no signatures are in place at this time, but both sides anticipate a deal getting done.

Baldwin is currently the assistant head coach, offensive coordinator and running backs coach at Cal, a job he has held for the past three years.

Prior to that, Baldwin was the head coach at Eastern Washington a Big Sky Conference rival of Cal Poly from 2008-16. He went 85-32 with five Big Sky titles, six FCS playoff berths and a national championship in 2010. He was also the head coach at Central Washington in 2007, going 10-3 with a trip to the Division II quarterfinals.

Sources also told FootballScoop that Cal Poly approached Oregon running backs coach and run game coordinator Jim Mastro about the job, but the former Cal Poly running back and assistant coach is expected to remain at Oregon. Oregon is planning to ensure Mastro remains in Eugene for the foreseeable future, sources say.

Cal Poly went 3-8 in 2019. Tim Walsh retired after 11 seasons leading the Mustangs on Nov. 25."

Big win for Cal, not so much for Cal Poly. Baldwin will take a huge pay cut taking the Cal Poly job!
GoBears89
We play Cal Poly next year at CMS - should be interesting!!
YamhillBear
guess this also means there wasn't much meat in BB being mentioned over the last couple days in terms of the Fresno State and Colorado State HC positions...
socaliganbear
I hope we don't do something stupid, and cheap, like promoting Tui.
WavyBear
I CALLED IT!!! TYBG
TheSouseFamily
It'll be interesting to see if Edwards goes with him,
bonsallbear
Happy wife........... Crappy job
Cal89
I have to imagine we've had a short list, at least since about this time last year...
Sig test...
BearlyCareAnymore
Cal89 said:

I have to imagine we've had a short list, at least since about this time last year...
Look, I'm just speculating, but Baldwin taking a job that is worse than the one he had when he came here doesn't sound like it is his idea. Therefore, I'm pretty sure we were ready for this.

Baldwin should do great there.
HungryCalBear
Will he still be here coaching the bowl game?

Wilcox must have had a short list. Important to move quick since early LOI date is coming.

What would you do? Keep BB to boost bowl record or announcing new coach now for future sake?
71Bear
TheSouseFamily said:

Best Wishes to him. San Luis Obispo is a great place to live. I hope he is successful there.
calpoly
NYCGOBEARS said:

TheSouseFamily said:

rkt88edmo said:

Last Cal Poly head coach made ~$250k.
socaliganbear
calpoly said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

TheSouseFamily said:

rkt88edmo said:

Last Cal Poly head coach made ~$250k.

Yikes, massive pay cut.
Cal89
OaktownBear said:

Cal89 said:

Look, I'm just speculating, but Baldwin taking a job that is worse than the one he had when he came here doesn't sound like it is his idea. Therefore, I'm pretty sure we were ready for this.

Baldwin should do great there.
Since the debacle of the 2018 offense, with the resounding crescendo of the bowl game, the normal list maintained by a HC likely became a very scrutinized one for the OC replacement.

I feel rather certain we are quite prepared for this transition. Really curious who we can attract...
Sig test...
concernedparent
CalAlumnus13 said:

This is basically the same level of job Baldwin had at EWU, isn't it?

Can't imagine a lateral transfer was what he hoped to get out of his time at a Power 5 program.
Worse. But still, he had his opportunity and made $1.5m; he may still get another one down the road.
westcoast101
Wow! Didn't see this one coming. Big win for Cal.

Good luck at Cal Poly, BB.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear

sycasey
Seems like the cleanest way to get rid of an underperforming coach. Good!
PtownBear1
Best of luck to BB. He's clearly better suited as an HC than an OC, and if he can resurrect Cal Poly, I'm sure his next opportunity will be a G5 HC. As I've said a couple times, I had no doubt his contract wouldn't be renewed.
KoreAmBear
Always thought he was a good guy and the players liked him.

He didn't do such a bad job this year under the circumstances. First year wasn't so bad with a very good Patrick Laird. But year 2 was really my disappointment with Baldwin. We should have won a lot more games with the team we had.

Good luck to Coach Baldwin. I wish him the best at Cal Poly SLO.
MilleniaBear
We can't change the offense right now - not enough time. We can change play calling. Who will call plays?

Are any recruits at risk that were tight with BB?
89Bear
MilleniaBear said:

We can't change the offense right now - not enough time. We can change play calling. Who will call plays?

Are any recruits at risk that were tight with BB?
Greatwood? He's been around forever. Power-run game with a healthy offensive line?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.