Weaver defensive POY

3,127 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 82gradDLSdad
WhipItOutJoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://pac-12.com/article/2019/12/09/pac-12-football-all-conference-honors-announced
socaltownie
But not first team (according to some idiotic blog) ;-)
Take care of your Chicken
wifeisafurd
socaltownie said:

But not first team (according to some idiotic blog) ;-)
well the coaches have him first team (who you going to believe?).

Usually there is a surprise or two, but this time the choices all make sense.
BearSD
Well deserved, congrats to Weaver.

The OP in this thread apparently attended Cal at the same time I did. ;-)
chalcidbear
Dam straight!
TheSouseFamily
NYCGOBEARS
Yessiree!!!
Unit2Sucks
Well deserved. He was a rock star all year long and I look forward to his bowl game performance.
burritos
ducky23
congrats to weaver. next up is the butkus
chazzed
Excellent. Congratulations to the young man.
BGolden
Congratulations.
I doubt many offensive players on opposing teams will disagree with the choice.
Cave Bear
Congrats Evan Weaver. What an amazing senior season!
KoreAmBear
Yessir!
calbear80
ducky23 said:

+1
LMK5
What has impressed me most has been his durability. He's seems to always be on the field. I'm thinking that may help him in the draft.
59bear
Kudos! And more to come I'm sure. I recall seeing him play in the WIAA 4A title game a few years ago and being impressed with his instincts and competitiveness. When he announced for Cal, I expected to get a solid 4 year contributor but not a star. He's been a very nice surprise! Well done Mr. Weaver.
KennyBear
Congratulations!
Truly well deserved.
Go Bears!!
m2bear
calbear80 said:

ducky23 said:

+1
Ummmm... you both are only 3 days late to the party.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/08/clemsons-isaiah-simmons-wins-2019-butkus-award-as-college-footballs-best-linebacker/
FuzzyWuzzy
LMK5 said:

What has impressed me most has been his durability. He's seems to always be on the field. I'm thinking that may help him in the draft.
He's a great linebacker overall but the one weird (and valuable) skill he has is that he is a great arm tackler. Yes, a great arm tackler. Normally if a defender can only get his hands or arms on a ballcarrier, the ballcarrier is going to break that tackle. Not Weav. He gets juked occasionally just like everyone does but he must have really strong hands. He grabs the guy running by him and still manages to bring him down more often than not. Great arm tackler.
HoopDreams
walks the talk

FuzzyWuzzy
HoopDreams said:

walks the talk

That was a great, great play. Big time.
MSaviolives
Evan was named on the First Team for the Athletic's All American Team today as well.

Athletic All American Team (this is a pay site)

Interestingly, 11 of the 25 players named on the First Team, including Evan, were 3-star or unrated coming out of high school.
BearSD
MSaviolives said:

Evan was named on the First Team for the Athletic's All American Team today as well.

Athletic All American Team (this is a pay site)

Interestingly, 11 of the 25 players named on the First Team, including Evan, were 3-star or unrated coming out of high school.
Here are The Athletic's first team All-Americans.
Big C
We finally get one guy on a First Team AA list (how long has it been?) and we are -- justifiably -- ecstatic...

Ohio State and LSU each have FOUR players on the team. It's like they're in a different world.
PtownBear1
Don't remember UW having a stand out tight end when we played them, let alone the best tight end in the country.
dimitrig
PtownBear1 said:

Don't remember UW having a stand out tight end when we played them, let alone the best tight end in the country.

I don't remember them having a great O-line either and they have three on the All-Pac12 Team.

TheSouseFamily
Big C said:

We finally get one guy on a First Team AA list (how long has it been?) and we are -- justifiably -- ecstatic...

Ohio State and LSU each have FOUR players on the team. It's like they're in a different world.

Depending on which one, mock drafts have 8 or 9 Alabama players going in the first round.
82gradDLSdad
FuzzyWuzzy said:

LMK5 said:

He's a great linebacker overall but the one weird (and valuable) skill he has is that he is a great arm tackler. Yes, a great arm tackler. Normally if a defender can only get his hands or arms on a ballcarrier, the ballcarrier is going to break that tackle. Not Weav. He gets juked occasionally just like everyone does but he must have really strong hands. He grabs the guy running by him and still manages to bring him down more often than not. Great arm tackler.

I thought this too. Incredible arm tackling strength. On a related note, how many college football junkies around the country are losing their shyte over two Pac12 LBs making the AA team?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.