Hey, Larry Scott: Shut the F up

3,403 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 50+BigGames
BearSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This guy has been commissioner for how long now? And he still hasn't learned to keep his greedy mouth shut instead of opening it and creating negative headlines?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28284988/pac-12-commissioner-larry-scott-missing-playoff-harmful-league

Quote:

He called getting left out of the playoff "painful."

"This year, to be the one league of the five that doesn't have a team in it, that's harmful to our positioning, our brand and everything we've got," he said.
Why won't this guy stop giving out soundbites like that for sportswriters and other internet trolls to feast on?

SMH.

Big Dog
not sure what the issue is; the article and Larry's comments seemed appropriate to me. (and I'm a Larry hater and never thought he shoulda been hired in the first place.)
71Bear
BearSD said:

This guy has been commissioner for how long now? And he still hasn't learned to keep his greedy mouth shut instead of opening it and creating negative headlines?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28284988/pac-12-commissioner-larry-scott-missing-playoff-harmful-league

Quote:

"This year, to be the one league of the five that doesn't have a team in it, that's harmful to our positioning, our brand and everything we've got," he said.
Why won't this guy stop giving out soundbites like that for sportswriters and other internet trolls to feast on?

SMH.

The problem is simple - shut up and play better when it counts. For example, Oregon losing to Auburn at the beginning of the season established a narrative that was hard to overcome. Next season, USC plays Alabama in the opener. If the Trojans lose, the conference will once again be forced to play catch up all season long. In essence, you gotta win the games when people are watching. Playing good football after midnight Eastern Time in the middle of the season means nothing.

Of course, Scott could be just lamenting the fact he was forced to change the officiating policies from those that gave USC an advantage to those that do not give any one team an edge. But that's another story for another day....

Marty
Larry is absolutely correct. It is painful. What he failed to mention is that many of the problems currently facing the Pac-12, and there are many, are of his creation. With the exception of your average politician, I find it difficult to bring to mind anyone in the public eye, with commensurate visibility and span of responsibility, who so deftly combines such sheer incompetence and megalomania.
Cal8285
71Bear said:

BearSD said:

Quote:

SMH.

The problem is simple - shut up and play better when it counts. For example, Oregon losing to Auburn at the beginning of the season established a narrative that was hard to overcome. Next season, USC plays Alabama in the opener. If the Trojans lose, the conference will once again be forced to play catch up all season long. In essence, you gotta win the games when people are watching. Playing good football after midnight Eastern Time in the middle of the season means nothing.

Of course, Scott could be just lamenting the fact he was forced to change the officiating policies from those that gave USC an advantage to those that do not give any one team an edge. But that's another story for another day....

Oregon still makes it to the CPF if only it doesn't lose to ASU, a game it really shouldn't have lost.

And yeah, there's the problem. If the officiating policies hadn't changed, maybe there could have been a couple of bad calls in the Oregon-ASU game that could have turned things around. The Pac-12 Championship game wasn't close enough to matter, so I guess Scott can't be regretting his policies for that one.

It was interesting to see a Pac-12 officating screw up hurting SC against Notre Dame, but I guess it was Notre Dame and not WSU, so maybe not so much of a shock. A bit of a shock to see a Pac-12 officiating screw up help Cal this year, but it was WSU and not USC, so maybe not so much of a shock.
HighlandDutch
510 Bear
I'm not a fan of our commissioner, but it's not because of this quote. It's one of those things where if he hadn't said anything, people would complain about how he's not sticking up for the conference.
Go!Bears
71Bear said:

Oregon losing to Auburn at the beginning of the season established a narrative that was hard to overcome. Next season, USC plays Alabama in the opener.
I could look, but I am going to guess that that Alabama game is "neutral site", but somehow still in the SEC foot print. These losses (and the P12 always seems to lose them) always hurt us and yet we keep accepting the disadvantage of a 'road' game. Maybe Larry could start there. Hold these 'neutral site' games in our foot print for a change?
71Bear
It will be played in Dallas at the Cowboys stadium. They would play the early season "classics" in the west if they could be assured that people would show up. However, no one in the west gives a damn about college football.
wifeisafurd
Go!Bears said:

71Bear said:

Oregon losing to Auburn at the beginning of the season established a narrative that was hard to overcome. Next season, USC plays Alabama in the opener.
I could look, but I am going to guess that that Alabama game is "neutral site", but somehow still in the SEC foot print. These losses (and the P12 always seems to lose them) always hurt us and yet we keep accepting the disadvantage of a 'road' game. Maybe Larry could start there. Hold these 'neutral site' games in our foot print for a change?
Not had the pleasure to meet him.

He worked in S&T for the last five year af Furd, so the last season was not on him. Sometimes you just get a rash of injuries, particularly in one unit. Cal had injury issues this year as well, and I have never heard a bad word about Becton. It is a contact sport and **** sometimes happens.
tequila4kapp
I'm not sure what Davis is supposed to say. As long as the Presidents (?) insist on playing 9 conference games we are going to be behind the 8 ball. I don't think it's an accident that nobody has gone undefeated in the P12's 8 or 9 years of existence.
Bear19
Who cares what that empty suit says?
BearSD
71Bear said:

It will be played in Dallas at the Cowboys stadium. They would play the early season "classics" in the west if they could be assured that people would show up. However, no one in the west gives a damn about college football.

Then just don't play those games. Find a home and home series, find an SEC or Big Ten team that isn't chicken and will actually play Oregon, Washington, or USC here on the west coast. Stop playing one-off games vs. Auburn or Georgia in freaking Atlanta and calling that a neutral site.
71Bear
BearSD said:

71Bear said:

Then just don't play those games. Find a home and home series, find an SEC or Big Ten team that isn't chicken and will actually play Oregon, Washington, or USC here on the west coast. Stop playing one-off games vs. Auburn or Georgia in freaking Atlanta and calling that a neutral site.
Currently, there are 27 home and home series' scheduled between P12 schools and either B10 or SEC schools at some point over the next ten years. Only USC is not scheduled to play a series v. either of those conferences. Over the last year or so, there has been a significant effort to improve OOC schedules especially by the SEC.

source: FBSchedules.com
Bowlesman80
I know that Larry Scott sat in a VIP box with SC's new AD during our Joe Roth Memorial Game and, I can only assume, both were witness to SC Band, led by the world's biggest D-Bag, not being bothered with a moment of silence and choosing to play during the silence. And, yet, to my knowledge, not a word from either. I have the impression for either one to try to tell SC anything, would be like a tail trying to wag a dog.
Leisure Suit Larry- a self-satisfying lackey of the powers that benefit him.
"Just win, baby."
Bowlesman80
YUCK!
You mean we gotta' root for SC for the good of the P12 Conference?
"Just win, baby."
50+BigGames
365Bear in 3--2--1
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.