The second "Way too early" Top 25 list for 2020 (Wilner)

1,865 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by chalcidbear
chalcidbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has Cal @ #21, Oregon @ #9, USC @ #18, ASU @ #24:

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2020/01/14/the-hotlines-14th-annual-ridiculously-early-top-25-for-next-season-alabamas-no-1-beware-penn-state-no-contenders-from-the-pac-12/
71Bear
chalcidbear said:

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2020/01/14/the-hotlines-14th-annual-ridiculously-early-top-25-for-next-season-alabamas-no-1-beware-penn-state-no-contenders-from-the-pac-12/

Since I cannot open the link, I can only assume he selected Bama as #1 (based on the link title). Since he is wrong about that, he is probably wrong about a number of his choices. For example, SC is far too high and ASU is too low. Cal and UO are closer to where they should be.

Clemson is #1 (Bama has a huge question mark at QB).
wifeisafurd
chalcidbear said:

This is about how I would rate the Pac teams.

After comparing schedules, I'm less bullish on SC. Besides that they have OOC with Bama and ND, they finish with Oregon away, Washington, UCLA away and then Note Dame. I don't think they are as deep as usual, so this will be a tough test against 3 physical, good teams and their traditional rival. Their good news is they get Utah early (like Cal) and ASU at home. Still I would switch ASU and SC.
wifeisafurd
Add: Oregonian came out with a way too early Pac 12 list: Oregon, ASU, Cal and everyone else (said there is a drop off). ASU and Cal clearly are the flavors of the month. Let the expectations begin.
Cave Bear
wifeisafurd said:

chalcidbear said:

This is about how I would rate the Pac teams.

After comparing schedules, I'm less bullish on SC. Besides that they have OOC with Bama and ND, they finish with Oregon away, Washington, UCLA away and then Note Dame. I don't think they are as deep as usual, so this will be a tough test against 3 physical, good teams and their traditional rival. Their good news is they get Utah early (like Cal) and ASU at home. Still I would switch ASU and SC.
SC also has the worst HC among the four and still has yet to hire a DC
bear2034
Schools with top 25 talent not on the list: UW, Furd, UCLA.

Strykur
oskirules said:

Schools with top 25 talent not on the list: UW, Furd, UCLA.

Probably because we beat all of them this past season.
heartofthebear
Folks ASU is losing a ton of impact players.
Practically their entire offense is gone except the QB and one WR.
They did have a great recruiting class and they get a nice OL transfer from Texas A&M but it will be very hard to have that OL playing well enough to compete in the pac-12 south next season.

The same thing is true with Utah's defense as well as RB Moss. That, combined with the fact that UCLA is still climbing out of some of their worst seasons of late and it leaves the door open for USC. ASU is always hyped by the press for some reason. I wouldn't buy into it. Most of those hyped years in the past, ASU ended up a very average 6 or 7 win team. I think both Furd and UCLA will finish above ASU next season.

At least he didn't hype Utah.
chalcidbear
Sorry for the link that didn't work. Here is the entire top 25 list:
1 Alabama
2 Ohio State
3 Clemson
4 Florida
5 Notre Dame
6 LSU
7 Penn State
8 Oklahoma
9 Oregon
10 Georgia
11 Oklahoma State
12 Cincinnati
13 Wisconsin
14 Texas A&M
15 North Carolina
16 Minnesota
17 Auburn
18 USC
19 Texas
20 Michigan
21 Cal
22 Iowa State
23 Boise State
23 ASU
25 Memphis

Also considered: Air Force, Army, Appalachian State, Baylor, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas State, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan State, Navy, SMU, Tennessee, UCF, Utah, Virginia, Virginia Tech and Washington.

NOTE: Stanford didn't even make it to the "Also considereds".

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.