Story Poster
Photo by calbears.com
Cal Football

Cal To Play At Notre Dame In 2022

January 27, 2020

BERKELEY – Cal and Notre Dame have agreed to play each other on Sept. 17, 2022, at Notre Dame Stadium, the first meeting between the schools in 55 years.

"We are looking forward to visiting Notre Dame, and I know that many of our fans will, too," Director of Athletics Jim Knowlton said. "Notre Dame Stadium is an iconic venue, and this game provides another opportunity for our alumni to support their Bears on the road. We saw a great turnout for our game at Ole Miss this past season and again at the Redbox Bowl in Santa Clara. I expect we'll have another large contingent follow us to Notre Dame for this exciting contest."

"Our players and coaches look forward to playing in an iconic stadium and competing against a college football program with the rich tradition and history of Notre Dame," Cal head coach Justin Wilcox added. "Notre Dame Stadium has been home to some of college football's biggest games and greatest moments, and we are excited to give everyone involved with Cal football the opportunity to experience such a renowned place in our sport's history."

The one-game agreement will mark the fifth all-time contest in the series, with the most recent game being a 41-8 home victory for the No. 1 Fighting Irish on Sept. 23, 1967. Notre Dame was also a 28-6 winner in the first-ever game between the teams in Berkeley in 1959, while the Fighting Irish prevailed at Notre Dame Stadium in a 21-7 decision during the 1960 season and won, 48-6, at California Memorial Stadium in 1965.

Cal finished the 2019 season with an 8-5 overall record and won four of five games to close out the year including victories at Stanford and UCLA, and vs. Illinois in the Redbox Bowl. The Golden Bears have improved their record in each of the last two seasons under Wilcox and tied for second in the Pac-12 North last year for their highest finish since the Pac-12 split into North and South divisions in 2011.

Ticket information for the game at Notre Dame will be announced at a later date. For information on 2020 season tickets or placing a deposit for Cal football membership, visit calbea.rs/20fbtickets, or call (800) GO BEARS (462-3277) and press 3 to contact a Gold Standard service representative.

Additional updates to Cal's future non-conference schedules are expected to be announced in the near future.

Cal-Notre Dame Series History
Oct. 10, 1959 – Notre Dame 28, at Cal 6
Sept. 24, 1960 – at Notre Dame 21, Cal 7
Sept. 18, 1965 – No. 3 Notre Dame 48, at Cal 6
Sept. 23, 1967 – at No. 1 Notre Dame 41, Cal 8

Discussion from...

Cal To Play At Notre Dame In 2022

23,532 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BearlyCareAnymore
pasadenaorbust
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow....one of my dreams has come true...only the Rose Bowl is left now. A game against Notre Dame in South Bend! California vs.Notre Dame has meant college football to me for forever. Can't believe it.
AndyHogan14
Ridiculous that we did not get a return date. Programs need to stop treating Notre Dame like they are something special...
BearoutEast67
It's about time we win one against Notre Dame!
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
burritos
Then we play auburn the subsequent next two years.
calfanz
AndyHogan14 said:

Ridiculous that we did not get a return date. Programs need to stop treating Notre Dame like they are something special...
*if* we didnt get a return date, it's a buy game. in other words, we are getting paid to go there.....
ColoradoBear
calfanz said:

AndyHogan14 said:

*if* we didnt get a return date, it's a buy game. in other words, we are getting paid to go there.....

How many FBS programs do one off road games for the money?

Would hope it pays for the UNT buyout and then some.
ARbear
If I had to guess, it's because they are still independent and have to add any team they can find for their schedule. If it was with a Power 5 conference school, I would be more concerned/embarrassed, but I think it is different with Notre Dame. Intriguing matchup.
01Bear
ARbear said:

If I had to guess, it's because they are still independent and have to add any team they can find for their schedule. If it was with a Power 5 conference school, I would be more concerned/embarrassed, but I think it is different with Notre Dame. Intriguing matchup.

See AndyHogan14's comment above. Notre Dame is not special. It's well past time it's treated as such.
wifeisafurd
AndyHogan14 said:

We needed at better team to beat in 2020. Expect more scheduling changes. Lot of things happening. Probably getting a better program than ND at Memorial for a home and away. Look to the south.

I guess Wilcox has decided he wants to play with the big boys. This is a good thing.
TomBear
This is GREAT. It's immediate and great exposure on a nationwide basis for the program. The Irish have been getting better and better in the last few years and there is still a good sound to "we're playing Notre Dame". By that time, I fully expect Cal to be a very good football team. The competition should be excellent, and the atmosphere with two good teams meeting, should be memorable. I am totally jazzed about this and this looks like the "road trip" for '22.

Now........Athletic Department needs to plan to send the entire Cal Band.....not just the straw hat band, but the full uniformed band to South Bend. They are the best ambassadors the university has, and schools that send fully uniformed bands to away games look like they take the game of football seriously. Cal needs to give that impression.

I'm hoping there is going to be some sort of tour/trip organized by the A.D. I suspect a lot of folks are going to want to go. We repped well at Ole Miss. This should be equally as good, if not even better!
ryananderin
Sorry but that's just not true. They're a football blue blood whether or not you choose to admit it. This is an awesome opportunity to plant our flag in an iconic venue.
Go Bears.
Cal_79
unlv was on the calendar for 9/17/22. Is unlv being rescheduled or simply replaced?
01Bear
ryananderin said:

Sorry but that's just not true. They're a football blue blood whether or not you choose to admit it. This is an awesome opportunity to plant our flag in an iconic venue.
Go Bears.

Notre Dame is just Pedo State (Penn State) or Baptist Rapist University (Baylor University) independent of an athletic conference for its revered football team.* That it wants to be treated differently than other schools does not mean it should be. No one disputes Notre Dame's historic achievements in college football, nor is anyone really doubting its current upswing. However, neither is sufficient (either jointly or severally) to warrant it special treatment. If Notre Dame wants to be considered for the playoffs, it should join one of the many athletic conferences. That it continues to pretend that it's somehow special and superior to all the other schools and somehow deserving of consideration for an At-Large bid because it's independent of an athletic conference (a result of its own decisions) is one of the most ridiculous fabrications in the history of college sports. What's worse is that there are suckers who actually buy into that bull.

*Including with its own history of silencing rape victims who dare to speak up against their rapists who happened to be on the football team.
Cal88
wifeisafurd said:

AndyHogan14 said:

We needed at better team to beat in 2020. Expect more scheduling changes. Lot of things happening. Probably getting a better program than ND at Memorial for a home and away. Look to the south.

I guess Wilcox has decided he wants to play with the big boys. This is a good thing.

Could it be the Instituto Politcnico Nacional Burros Blancos, college football champions of Mexico?

tequila4kapp
01Bear said:

ARbear said:

See AndyHogan14's comment above. Notre Dame is not special. It's well past time it's treated as such.
If they have the money, tv deals and the clout to convince other colleges to make these deals then they are something special.
NVBear78
AndyHogan14 said:

Okey dokey and good luck getting that done.......... Remember that Notre Dame already has standing Home and Home arrangements with two Pac-12/California schools in U$C and Stanfurd.

Doing this is good for our program going forward.

Go Bears!
89Bear
We're a public school that has debt to pay off. If they pay enough, take it!! I like the exposure and it will feel amazing once we beat them!
sosheezy
Exactly, they already have standing trips to California for recruiting and alumni engagement every year, and the Bay Area no less. A home and home was unlikely and this was a great one time opportunity to goose the schedule with a high profile game and give an awesome CFB pilgrimage opportunity for Cal alums. Also I think the scheduling rumor gods from this fall showed a possible home and home with Florida, which is pretty bigtime.
bluehenbear
So.....
How hard is it going to be to get tickets?
Cal88
NVBear78 said:

AndyHogan14 said:

Okey dokey and good luck getting that done.......... Remember that Notre Dame already has standing Home and Home arrangements with two Pac-12/California schools in U$C and Stanfurd.

Doing this is good for our program going forward.

Go Bears!
Isn't the Furd series with ND ending soon? That's an opportunity for home and homes later this decade...
wifeisafurd
bluehenbear said:

So.....
How hard is it going to be to get tickets?
hard, as Cal will becoming off its 1/1/2021 Rose Bowl appearance and Notre Dame usually sells out.
wifeisafurd
Cal88 said:

wifeisafurd said:

AndyHogan14 said:

Could it be the Instituto Politcnico Nacional Burros Blancos, college football champions of Mexico?

Ugh that is way too much red. think Deep South.
510 Bear
I'm glad to hear this, but not because we're starting to face big-name P5 programs. We are CONTINUING to face big-time programs, something we've done consistently during the last 2 decades and one of the reasons I'm proud to support this program.

Just ask Maryland, UNC, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Ohio State, Illinois, Michigan St., Northwestern, Minnesota, Kansas St., Texas and Baylor.

(In comparison, furd has played Duke, Wake Forest, Notre Dame, Northwestern, Kansas State, and TCU.)
SonomanA1
We are giving up a home game against UNLV to play an away game at ND. Our only non-conference home game will be against Davis. I assume ND needed someone to go to South Bend to play them, and we saw it as an opportunity. We only have to score more than 8 points to set our high score against them.
Big C
TomBear said:

This is GREAT. It's immediate and great exposure on a nationwide basis for the program. The Irish have been getting better and better in the last few years and there is still a good sound to "we're playing Notre Dame". By that time, I fully expect Cal to be a very good football team. The competition should be excellent, and the atmosphere with two good teams meeting, should be memorable. I am totally jazzed about this and this looks like the "road trip" for '22.

Now........Athletic Department needs to plan to send the entire Cal Band.....not just the straw hat band, but the full uniformed band to South Bend. They are the best ambassadors the university has, and schools that send fully uniformed bands to away games look like they take the game of football seriously. Cal needs to give that impression.

I'm hoping there is going to be some sort of tour/trip organized by the A.D. I suspect a lot of folks are going to want to go. We repped well at Ole Miss. This should be equally as good, if not even better!
I'm all for sending the Cal Band to games, but sending the full band does cost a fortune. What is the advantage to sending them to South Bend, Indiana? They don't televise the halftime shows anymore. Is it just for the TV shots of them, in the stands, during the game?

I'm trying to imagine how fun a road trip this would be for us... I guess just to see Cal play at Notre Dame? Not much else going on there, on campus or off. At least Mississippi had the lure of soaking in the "Southern culture". A buddy of mine took in a game at ND a while back, just for the experience. He said seeing Touchdown Jesus made him smirk, but that was about it. (Of course, Cal wasn't playing in the game, so... )
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
wifeisafurd said:

I guess Wilcox has decided he wants to play with the big boys.
This is a good thing.
Intriguing...

We talkin' Arkansas or Vanderbilt?
StillABear1
It's a bucket list road trip. However, if you are looking for leg and elbow room and bathrooms, it's a nightmare. Think old Memorial pre 2011 with an even smaller seating profile.
bencgilmore
wifeisafurd said:

For 2020?
510 Bear
StillABear1 said:

It's a bucket list road trip. However, if you are looking for leg and elbow room and bathrooms, it's a nightmare. Think old Memorial pre 2011 with an even smaller seating profile.
Can't say I'm surprised. ND athletic dept marketing people: "increase leg room? Are you crazy? So many people would give an arm and a leg just to be in our stadium. Uhhh, NO."
RighteousGoldenBear
A bit of insight into the financials of the game.

https://www.onefootdown.com/2020/1/27/21100070/notre-dame-football-irish-look-to-extend-four-game-win-streak-against-cal-in-2022-golden-bears
Sebastabear
RighteousGoldenBear said:

A bit of insight into the financials of the game.

https://www.onefootdown.com/2020/1/27/21100070/notre-dame-football-irish-look-to-extend-four-game-win-streak-against-cal-in-2022-golden-bears
Interesting that they are paying us $1.9m and Alabama $1m for a game in 2028. Is that because everyone knows Alabama will cancel once they learn Notre Dame is more than 50 miles from Birmingham? Are they actually able to cross the Mason-Dixon line or is that kind of like how a vampire can't cross the threshold of a church?

Anyway, nice to see they've guaranteed to sell us 5,000 tickets. Guessing we'll have a lot more folks than that in the stands.
AXLBear
I'm one of the few (along with Sandy Barbour and Tom Bowen) who have worked in the athletic Dept of both Cal and Notre Dame. My allegiance is to cal, but I've been waiting patiently for this. To be able see them play at Notre Dame, which is so special to me!?!?....I'm elated!
72CalBear
Touchdown Jesus! Raise your arms - here come the Bears!! Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!
SonomanA1
If Cal band goes, it may go against our ticket allotment. This is what ND is doing with Marshall.

Marshall will receive up to 5,000 tickets to the game and, if they bring their band, that will count against the ticket allotment. (Cheerleaders and mascots get in for free.)
TheFiatLux
TomBear said:

Absolutely. And let's not wait until say the July before the game and then be shocked this will cost money. Let's actually plan for it. I, and I certainly know one other member on this board, will pony up some money. But really the AD should pay for this and for crying out loud, with their massive alumni base, the band should surely be able to fund this once in a lifetime (for Cal) college football experience.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.