Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Mavin Anderson
Cal Football

Anderson Kicks Off 2021 Class With Commitment to Cal

February 1, 2020

The Bears got on the board for their 2021 class in a big way today with the commitment of Mission Viejo junior wide receiver Mavin Anderson‍. The 6-1/190 receiver had 34 catches for 533 yards and seven touchdowns in his junior season that was somewhat limited by injury.

Anderson with fellow 2021 WRs visiting for Cal’s Jr Day

Anderson’s anticipation for the Junior Day visit was strong. He noted earlier this week: 

“I’m looking forward to meeting the coaching staff and getting to know the coaches better, as well as getting a feel for the overall environment of the school and football program.

“As far as recruiting goes, (WR) Coach Toler and Coach (Marshall) Cherrington have been the two main coaches recruiting me from Cal. I feel like we’ve developed a very solid relationship.”

The 4 star receiver obviously liked what he saw on today’s visit. He announced his commitment tonight on Twitter, saying:

“After a long talk with my family and a successful junior day at Cal, I’m extremely excited to announce my verbal commitment to the University of California, Berkeley!! Thank you to everyone that has helped put me in this position. #CalGang21.”

An excellent student, Anderson holds an offer from Yale along with Oregon, Auburn, Nebraska and more. He plans to be an early enrollee after graduating in December.

Other stories:

Anderson Looking Forward to His Visit to Cal

Texas CB Deuce Harmon Talks About First Pac-12 Offer From Cal

Discussion from...

Anderson Kicks Off 2021 Class With Commitment to Cal

19,841 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CalFan777
bonsallbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes but can you catch a spiral? Nice pick up. Good size.
91Cal
Welcome to the Cal Family! Go Bears!
TonyTiger
Yeah but where are all the 5 stars. Just kidding back the hell down. No sense of humor? I maing fun of the guys who are never satisfied with 3 stars.
BearoutEast67
Awesome! Great receiver get!
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
calumnus
Great get! Welcome Mavin!

Go Bears!
71Bear
3 star at Rivals.

Star inflation at Cal is much like grade inflation on the Farm - rampant.
MoragaBear
Staff
4 stars on 247, 247 composite and ESPN.

What's your point?
Po
71Bear said:

3 star at Rivals.

In the Olympic events with judges, they always throw out the lowest score and pretend it doesn't exist. Oh wait, they don't do that.

I was a little surprised that he was only rated a 5.6 3 star on Rivals, but the guy at TOS felt it was likely he would climb in the ratings once they get more film on him, similar to Jeremiah Hunter. There was some injury issues his junior year as well that could be a factor.
NVBear78

This is a wonderful new player committing to Cal. Welcome and Go Bears, the future is bright!
Cal89
A very nice early commit. At 6' 1", still as a HS junior, he'll likely be taller when he enrolls...
Sig test...
OdontoBear66
71Bear said:

3 star at Rivals.

Having a problem with good news? This type of backdoor stab I do not understand. Enjoy the good things.
swan
OdontoBear66 said:

71Bear said:

3 star at Rivals.

Having a problem with good news? This type of backdoor stab I do not understand. Enjoy the good things.

Odonto,

There are the glass is half full guys and others see a half empty glass, Then there are a few that complain of someone pissing in their glass. Sad to be so miserable.
mbBear
71Bear said:

3 star at Rivals.

The Rivals mods believe he will get his 4th star. There are only 14 5 stars on Rivals, so for what its worth, at least at the top, its highly selective.
You believe that this rating is inflated, that he is in fact only a 3 star, and should be regarded as such? Or was your comment meant to imply something else?
LACalFan
71Bear said:

3 star at Rivals.

Come on now! The service that rates Cal commits the highest is always the most accurate.

Welcome, Mavin!
CalBearinLA
71Bear said:

3 star at Rivals.

Jeez, just when I thought you couldn't get any more of a grump. First of all the rankings dont come from Cal, so what is your point? Every service will report the highest rankings, I'm sure you've even done things similar in your personal life....again..what is your point? This isn't from Cal

I'm all for pessimist posts, but only when they come with a bit of intelligent references / commentary. This post has neither. While true you may have historical context on some topics, in general, posts like these just come off as baseless and petty.
Marty
Nice start. I like the film, and the talent. Hope he sticks, and that with a few recruits at this talent level, Cal can start attracting recruits with an overall higher rating in terms of stars. But this is February 2nd, 10 months off from early signing day. If he's still solid on Thanksgiving, then we'll have something to celebrate.
NVBear78
The vast majority of Cal fans are thankful for this commitment of a talented and bright new player to the Cal family!

Go Bears!!

p.s. lots of great feedback from others at Junior Day yesterday. The Wilcox plan of family atmosphere with high quality and high character coaches and teammates is well received. Along with the commitment to develop these young athletes as players, students and citizens.
CalBearinLA
NVBear78 said:

The vast majority of Cal fans are thankful for this commitment of a talented and bright new player to the Cal family!

Go Bears!!

p.s. lots of great feedback from others at Junior Day yesterday. The Wilcox plan of family atmosphere with high quality and high character coaches and teammates is well received. Along with the commitment to develop these young athletes as players, students and citizens.
Great to hear that was the case.

Don't see why anybody decent would want to bring negativity to a young man making a big life decision. Congrats to Mavin and welcome to Cal!
burritos
Boom!
FloriDreaming
Nice get! Start the bandwagon!

Go Bears!
heartofthebear
If this guy is a 4 star now, he will be a consensus 4 star by the time he is signing his letter.
It's not "grade inflation". It is deflation based on committing early.
Nice get.
Welcome Anderson
FloriDreaming
heartofthebear said:

If this guy is a 4 star now, he will be a consensus 4 star by the time he is signing his letter.
Nice get.
Welcome Anderson

Really, whether the services rate him a high-3 star or 4-star is pretty meaningless at this point. He's a highly-sought-after recruit and it reflects well on the coaching staff that he chose Cal. Apart from that, it's up to him and the staff to see to it he makes an impact on the field for the Bears and the stars will be just statistics in the background.
wallyball2003
71Bear said:

3 star at Rivals.

Don't you think your time would be better spent keeping those "dadgum kids" off of your lawn?
Po
wallyball2003 said:

71Bear said:

3 star at Rivals.

Don't you think your time would be better spent keeping those "dadgum kids" off of your lawn?
People should show 71Bear more respect. Unlike some who demand it, he's earned it.
CalBearinLA
Po said:

wallyball2003 said:

71Bear said:

3 star at Rivals.

People should show 71Bear more respect. Unlike some who demand it, he's earned it.
Respect is one thing, but to say that calling the recruit a 4* is an example of Cal inflating rankings is inaccurate (because it's not even Cal that created the rankings) and in poor taste for a thread that was started to welcome a young man for making a big decision. Everybody's entitled to their own opinion, but we are curious as to his intention for bringing up again

1) a negative post where it is unwarranted
2) an inaccurate claim

Just seems like bitterness for the sake of being bitter.
Po
CalBearinLA said:

Po said:

wallyball2003 said:

71Bear said:

3 star at Rivals.

Respect is one thing, but to say that calling the recruit a 4* is an example of Cal inflating rankings is inaccurate (because it's not even Cal that created the rankings) and in poor taste for a thread that was started to welcome a young man for making a big decision. Everybody's entitled to their own opinion, but we are curious as to his intention for bringing up again

1) a negative post where it is unwarranted
2) an inaccurate claim

Just seems like bitterness for the sake of being bitter.
His post is accurate. Anderson is a 3 star on Rivals.
CalBearinLA
Saying it's inflation at Cal isn't accurate however. It's misattributing the situation Come on now...read the whole thing please. Don't come off as biased and intentionally warp what he's saying.

Nobody is saying the rivals ranking is inaccurate.
510 Bear
The whole P12 wanted him, he chose us, and there's nothing "inflated" about that!
heartofthebear
Uthaithani said:

heartofthebear said:

Nice get.
Welcome Anderson

Really, whether the services rate him a high-3 star or 4-star is pretty meaningless at this point. He's a highly-sought-after recruit and it reflects well on the coaching staff that he chose Cal. Apart from that, it's up to him and the staff to see to it he makes an impact on the field for the Bears and the stars will be just statistics in the background.
Yeah, I get it.
I am just pointing out to those that seem to think that stars matter and that this is "grade inflation" that the opposite is true. Generally speaking, guys that commit early see their star rating rise over time. We have had many 3 star guys commit only to become a 4 star buy signing day. The reason for this is that their senior year performance usually elevates their scouting report.

It is rare for Cal to get an early commit that is already a 4 star in most circles. And I would be shocked if he wasn't a consensus 4 star by the time he signs. It honestly doesn't matter to me if that doesn't happen. But usually it does.

The greater issue is that we hold onto him for the extensive time until signing day. I think we will because Wilcox seems to be able to do that by only recruiting guys that really want to be at Cal. I also think that WRs would be smart to come to Cal right now. Cal is going to be throwing the ball a lot in the next 3 or 4 years.
calumnus
heartofthebear said:

Uthaithani said:

heartofthebear said:

Nice get.
Welcome Anderson

Yeah, I get it.
I am just pointing out to those that seem to think that stars matter and that this is "grade inflation" that the opposite is true. Generally speaking, guys that commit early see their star rating rise over time. We have had many 3 star guys commit only to become a 4 star buy signing day. The reason for this is that their senior year performance usually elevates their scouting report.

It is rare for Cal to get an early commit that is already a 4 star in most circles. And I would be shocked if he wasn't a consensus 4 star by the time he signs. It honestly doesn't matter to me if that doesn't happen. But usually it does.

The greater issue is that we hold onto him for the extensive time until signing day. I think we will because Wilcox seems to be able to do that by only recruiting guys that really want to be at Cal. I also think that WRs would be smart to come to Cal right now. Cal is going to be throwing the ball a lot in the next 3 or 4 years.

I am more than happy with this commit, but can you point to examples of guys that were 3 stars when they committed to us who got upgraded to 4 stars later? Cal has not historically gotten that benefit from the services. We have had multiple NR recruits moved up to 2 or 3 stars. As you say, it would (should) be guys that had great senior years, but the recruiting services don't seem to make many changes. When they do, it is when USC or another "big" program offers (for example).
LACalFan
calumnus said:

heartofthebear said:

Uthaithani said:

heartofthebear said:

Nice get.
Welcome Anderson

Yeah, I get it.

I am more than happy with this commit, but can you point to examples of guys that were 3 stars when they committed to us who got upgraded to 4 stars later? Cal has not historically gotten that benefit from the services. We have had multiple NR recruits moved up to 2 or 3 stars. As you say, it would (should) be guys that had great senior years, but the recruiting services don't seem to make many changes. When they do, it is when USC or another "big" program offers (for example).
Yeah, it doesn't happen often. Maybe Street or Hunter? They both got bumped up in the last cycle from 3 to 4 stars, but it might have been before their commitment to Cal. Brett Johnson also was bumped up in the '19 class.

We still suck at commitment threads.
MoragaBear
Staff
All of those guys were bumped to 4 stars well after committing to Cal
heartofthebear
I think that in most cases where we ended up with a 4 star QB, they committed as a 3 star.
UrsineMaximus
Po said:

wallyball2003 said:

71Bear said:

3 star at Rivals.

That's funny!! This is a sports blog. If you want, need or demand it (respect) go somewhere else. And no, I don't respect your "opinion" cuz u post on this site and / or have done so for 20 years. So what.
jamonit
Cal lands our first 6star of the year! No inflation here
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.