Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Bastian Swinney
Cal Football

2021 Minnesota OT Bastian Swinney Makes the Early Call For Cal

February 8, 2020

After a strong visit to the West Coast for Cal's Junior Day, 6-6/270 2021 Edina (Edina, MN) High School OT Bastian Swinney‍ saw all he needed to see and made the commitment today to Cal.

“I love Coach (Angus) McClure. I love Coach (Justin) Wilcox,” said Swinney. “Very level-headed people. They’re just about getting their student athletes the degree and playing some really good football.

“I feel like I fit in really well there. I value the degree and playing and they give me a really good mix of the two.”

On his visit to Cal, Swinney knew the fit was a good one.

“I’ve always loved the Bay Area since I went there with my family on a trip,” said Swinney. “It feels like a second home for me already.

“The facilities are really nice. I could be there all day and be happy. And the academic piece is huge for me because Cal’s the number one public institution in the world so you can’t really go wrong with that.”

In his announcement tweet, Swinney said, “To begin, I’d like to thank the coaches that invested time in me, seeing potential in me, as well as giving me a chance to play for their program. My decision has come down to 3 key concepts: A system where the coaches and I see me fitting in best, with the chance to make an impact. Secondly, a location where I feel at home and broadens my horizon. Finally, an education that is a 40 YEAR DECISION, NOT A 4 YEAR DECISION.

“I’d like to wish the best of luck to all the 2021 recruits. Remember to follow your gut on all decisions. Thank you to my family, my coaches and all the people who have influence me along the way. The work starts now. 

“With that being said, I’d like to announce my commitment to the University of California Berkeley. #CalGang2021 #GoBears.”

Swinney’s a multi-sport athlete -an element Wilcox loves, with it’s emphasis on different motor skills and well-rounded student athletes. He’s currently on the hardcourt with Edina in his junior season.

On his trip to Cal, Swinney connected with rising senior OT Jake Curhan, a three-year starter for the Bears heading into his season season.

“I talked to Jake Curhan, the giant guy. He was awesome,” said Swinney. “He told me that he loved the academics and he loved the football. It sounded like he had some similar views as me as a person and as a student athlete so it really just sounded like a good fit for me. No doubt in my mind we’ll see him in the NFL next year. He’s a monster.”

Swinney’s high school coach Derrin Lamker speaks highly of his leadership abilities, something that has been a common theme among many of Cal’s recruiting targets.

“His overall leadership is phenomenal,” said Lamker. “He’s been a captain since his junior year and he’s done every single thing we’ve asked both on and off the field. The younger kids just flock to him and follow him and he does a great job [with them].”

Swinney is also a high achiever in the classroom.

‘As you could tell he’s got a lot of high-end [academic] colleges after him, including Cal,” said Lamker. “He’s gonna get a great job someday. I wish I could hire him right now.”

The Bears beat out some stong early competition for Swinney, with the talented OT holding offers from local Minnesota and PJ Fleck’s resurgent program, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma State and more.

Discussion from...

2021 Minnesota OT Bastian Swinney Makes the Early Call For Cal

8,569 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by MoragaBear
burritos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
booom! Offers from Minnesota, Indiana, ISU, KU, KSU, Louisville, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, Northwester, Oklahoma State, TCU, West Virgina.
calftball
Huge get!! Literally
6'6 270 Junior in High school....Wow!
Rushinbear
burritos said:

booom! Offers from Minnesota, Indiana, ISU, KU, KSU, Louisville, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, Northwester, Oklahoma State, TCU, West Virgina.
Low hips, straight back, drives from the ground up, finishes. Dude moves, too. I like this guy a lot.
bonsallbear
For All of us clamoring for o linemen this is great! Good size for OT LET'S GRAB ANOTHER!
Goobear
Welcome Bastian. Go Bears!
burritos
You think he's heard of Schwartz and Mekari?
calgldnbear
Nice !!!!

Great name for a big O-lineman too

Welcome to Cal young man

Go Bears!!!!!!
82gradDLSdad
Rushinbear said:

burritos said:

Low hips, straight back, drives from the ground up, finishes. Dude moves, too. I like this guy a lot.

I agree. This kid looks great.
sheki
Awesome! Great pick up. Will he double as our future PF on our basketball team?
calumnus
Great news! Welcome to Cal!

Go Bears!
dmh65
Congrats!

As Cal starts to build their 2021 class, is the 2020 class complete? Or is there still a chance for 2020 additions? (I think there were some late additions in previous years??) If so, at what positions?

There's a good thread about the 2020 preferred walk ons; it seems that there are a half dozen or so. So, I don't know how many of those will eventually earn scholarships, and if there's room to add any more scholarship players, if any are out there unsigned.
MoragaBear
Staff
dmh65 said:

Congrats!

As Cal starts to build their 2021 class, is the 2020 class complete? Or is there still a chance for 2020 additions? (I think there were some late additions in previous years??) If so, at what positions?

There's a good thread about the 2020 preferred walk ons; it seems that there are a half dozen or so. So, I don't know how many of those will eventually earn scholarships, and if there's room to add any more scholarship players, if any are out there unsigned.
They have room for two more transfers if they find the right ones
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.