My COVID-19 Shopping Experience

5,777 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by rkt88edmo
JSC 76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I thought I'd take advantage of Costco's Senior Hour yesterday -- got there at 8:15 and thought I'd just waltz through the door. Hah. I was about #250 in line....took 90 minutes to get to the door. It was like the worst Disneyland ride ever.... they should have had a "90 minutes wait from this point" sign.

When I got in, they were out of paper towels. Still had TP, though.

Chapman_is_Gone
I stole a roll of toilet paper from the Harbor Island Sheraton last night. True story. And surprisingly easy to do.

Last time I stole toilet paper was in 1991, from Haviland Hall. 28 years ago. Time really flies.
82gradDLSdad
Chapman_is_Gone said:

I stole a roll of toilet paper from the Harbor Island Sheraton last night. True story. And surprisingly easy to do.

Last time I stole toilet paper was in 1991, from Haviland Hall. 28 years ago. Time really flies.

Funny. I first read this as Harbor Freight and I thought you had stolen a roll from a HF restroom. I was ready to drive down to my local HF.
Blueblood
82gradDLSdad said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

Funny. I first read this as Harbor Freight and I thought you had stolen a roll from a HF restroom. I was ready to drive down to my local HF.
Well, being that we're talking restroom experiences, I'll relate mine when I was in the infamous Raffles
Hotel long bar in Singapore.

After enjoying my Sinapore Sling, I really had to use the can (don't worry I won't go into too much detail with respect to what I did in my private stall), so after doing my business I realized that there was no TP. All they provide is a water hose with what I believe is a nozzel that must have been used by the old British fire department because the pressure could have blown like a F3 tornado.

I should mention that I was dressed rather spiffy and was in the bar with some cool friends.

I only mentioned the foregoing because of how I looked after I used the hose on my butt. It looked like I wet my pants.....lucky for me they kept the old bar (not the revamp of today) very dimly lit on hot days. Oh, as I was leaving the restroom, an entering rent boy in a nice dress looked at me and said, "Aren't we a mess!"
rkt88edmo
dimitrig said:

GBear4Life said:

What are people worried about? Martial law and zero businesses open? Get a grip people. Stop hoarding goods unnecessarily, impacting others by leaving them nothing. Buy per your usual habits.

Bottled Water? Do they think cities will shut off water or something? Unbelievable.

What happens when the people that maintain the water system all get sick and can't come in to work?

Water systems are also expecting a major worker shortage as all the silver hairs retire - I heard about it talking job opps with people online and then I even an saw a full page ad in California magazine of all places for water treatment and transport careers.
okaydo
This is an interesting article on the toilet paper shortage:

1. People have to buy more toilet paper because they are not using their work toilet paper and they're leaving home less.

2. There are 2 different kinds of toilet paper, one for work and one for home. And the work ones, which are less comfortable, are being unused since everybody's at home.

https://marker.medium.com/what-everyones-getting-wrong-about-the-toilet-paper-shortage-c812e1358fe0
bearister
Blueblood said:

...don't worry I won't go into too much detail with respect to what I did in my private stall)...

Did you violate any statutes, regulations, decrees, or ordnances of Singapore? Was that you the attendant heard saying, "I'm a nasty Blueblood, I'm a nasty Blueblood?"
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Blueblood
bearister said:

Blueblood said:

...don't worry I won't go into too much detail with respect to what I did in my private stall)...

Did you violate any statutes, regulations, decrees, or ordnances of Singapore? Was that you the attendant heard saying, "I'm a nasty Blueblood, I'm a nasty Blueblood?"
Bend over!

"You, sahib, look like a very nasty Bluebood!"
GoldenB
okaydo said:

This is an interesting article on the toilet paper shortage:

1. People have to buy more toilet paper because they are not using their work toilet paper and they're leaving home less.

2. There are 2 different kinds of toilet paper, one for work and one for home. And the work ones, which are less comfortable, are being unused since everybody's at home.

https://marker.medium.com/what-everyones-getting-wrong-about-the-toilet-paper-shortage-c812e1358fe0

We have found that to be the case. We thought we had plenty of toilet paper but with my wife and kids home all day our supplies are running low as we are using much more. Fortunately my wife was lucky enough to find some pop up on Amazon yesterday so reinforcements are on their way. We were getting ready to fire up the bidet we have and never use

bearister
Blueblood said:

bearister said:

Blueblood said:

Bend over!

"You, sahib, look like a very nasty Bluebood!"

Your post is politically insensitive because you know darn well that the guy with the beard was probably a Paisano actor from East Harlem.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Sebastabear
Blueblood said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

Well, being that we're talking restroom experiences, I'll relate mine when I was in the infamous Raffles
Hotel long bar in Singapore.

After enjoying my Sinapore Sling, I really had to use the can (don't worry I won't go into too much detail with respect to what I did in my private stall), so after doing my business I realized that there was no TP. All they provide is a water hose with what I believe is a nozzel that must have been used by the old British fire department because the pressure could have blown like a F3 tornado.

I should mention that I was dressed rather spiffy and was in the bar with some cool friends.

I only mentioned the foregoing because of how I looked after I used the hose on my butt. It looked like I wet my pants.....lucky for me they kept the old bar (not the revamp of today) very dimly lit on hot days. Oh, as I was leaving the restroom, an entering rent boy in a nice dress looked at me and said, "Aren't we a mess!"
Awesome, although I'm weirded out by the idea of no TP in a public bathroom.

I was actually just in the Raffles Longbar in January (we were staying at the hotel). There was a line at least 20 deep to get in starting really early in the afternoon. Bar is very cool looking and Singapore Sling was excellent but I don't get waiting in line (much less in the Singapore heat) to get in any bar. Luckily I did not use the restroom. Raffles itself got a pretty massive remodel in the last 18 months. If people are ever allowed to travel again I'd highly recommend it.
Blueblood
The most recent worst restroom situation for me was at the Kuwait international airport.

A note to my fellow Bear fans that have never had the pleasure to visit such airport, don't be alarmed if you see someone carrying a rifle or pistol. It's standard dress for the arabs there.

Anyway, I really had to go, if you know what I mean. I was walking through my terminal waiting for my flight to Amman. I saw the sign that was in English, among other languages, that said restroom. I quickly walked in and went into a stall. If any of you hang out in Kuwait, you know the one of which I speak. The one with a small hole in the floor and nothing else, and I do mean nothing else!

I don't know about any of you but my aim ain't that good.

Well, needless to say, I walked out and asked (in my best arabic) one of the friendlier looking arabs hanging outside the restroom where there was a restroom for westeners. One man with an ammo belt drapped around him said that he would show me.

I followed him until he stopped and pointed. I should have known something was up when he quickly left me standing there in front of the restroom door.

I went in and it was a very modern restroom with toilet, wash bowls, oversized mirrors, etc.

The only problem with it was that it looked like it had been used by a hundred crappers before me and they **** everywhere but into the toilet. Yes, it was G-R-O-S-S!

The bright side of this ordeal was that I found out I could perform for Cirque du Soleil as a contortionist.
Blueblood

I have many more restroom stories. For instance, I was almost arrested by secret police in Hong Kong or if that
doesn't grab you, how about the one on the QM2? We have a long summer and possibly fall ahead of us so name your medicine...yaaAAHHH HHOOOooooowah!
okaydo
Okay, so we're told we have to wear masks.

So last Friday, I purchased 3 masks on ebay from 2 different sellers.

But I get this message when I look at my purchase history.

I haven't received a refund. The seller now doesn't sell masks anymore

The other seller already shipped the mask. But I'm worried it won't be legit.

Now when I search "face masks" on ebay, I get this:

What's going on?

The great thing about Amazon is that they have reviews...so you can tell if a product is good or not (if there are enough reviews. But they only have a few masks, and they all have bad reviews.

I bought a mask for my mom in late February. the (chinese) seller had great reviews. Now they are gone from Amazon. It took nearly a month to deliver.

Sure, I could make my own mask. But I don't want to. Where is everybody getting their masks?

JSC 76
okaydo said:

Sure, I could make my own mask. But I don't want to. Where is everybody getting their masks?

My employer handed out N95 masks during the forest fires, and I still have a few. Plus, my germaphobe wife bought a box of 20 surgical masks several years ago, just to have just in case.
dimitrig
okaydo said:

Okay, so we're told we have to wear masks.

So last Friday, I purchased 3 masks on ebay from 2 different sellers.

But I get this message when I look at my purchase history.

I haven't received a refund. The seller now doesn't sell masks anymore

The other seller already shipped the mask. But I'm worried it won't be legit.

Now when I search "face masks" on ebay, I get this:

What's going on?

The great thing about Amazon is that they have reviews...so you can tell if a product is good or not (if there are enough reviews. But they only have a few masks, and they all have bad reviews.

I bought a mask for my mom in late February. the (chinese) seller had great reviews. Now they are gone from Amazon. It took nearly a month to deliver.

I happened to have two unused N95 masks from a drywall project I did and I have surgical mask from when a family member was in the hospital. Somewhere I have a really nice respirator with a valve on it but I can't find it. In short, I just happened to have some and I am reusing them by letting them sit for 4 days between uses and rotating. I have seen some people out and about wearing complete gas masks. Don't know if they are survivalist types or had them for work.

rkt88edmo
Have N95 for the family from the post Carr wildfire (2018). Also have a P100 respirator and face shield for shop work.
okaydo
Question: I'm getting several masks that have space for filters (PM2.5 filters). Do I need a filter? I'm probably only going to use it when visiting stores. I may use it while walking during the day, but not at night.

I'm not a mask person, but here in L.A. we have to wear masks starting this weekend when visiting stores.

Blueblood
okaydo said:

Question: I'm getting several masks that have space for filters (PM2.5 filters). Do I need a filter? I'm probably only going to use it when visiting stores. I may use it while walking during the day, but not at night.

I'm not a mask person, but here in L.A. we have to wear masks starting this weekend when visiting stores.

My I suggest the PU2 filter mask:

gimme kiss

"Me and my posse' will be a'waitin' ya in da 'hood!"
rkt88edmo
okaydo said:

If the filter isn't in place what kind of protection are you getting? Did a quick look and there are PM2.5 filter masks that claim to meet N99. But without the filter in place I'm pretty sure your NIOSH rating will be approaching zero.

But if you are just wearing it to stay legal, it will probably do.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.