My COVID-19 Shopping Experience

5,819 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by rkt88edmo
Blueblood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I went to my local supermarket to buy some grub.

This supermarket opens at 8 am to initially accommodate elder shoppers only.

So I get in the long developing line at about the 8 am opening time.

As I'm standing there, I, as well as others standing in line, notice a young guy
quickly walking up to the front of the line.

As he approaches the front of the line, a little old lady with a cane raised warned him
to not cut in line or he'll get it!

There were other shouts of a similar nature coming from those in the line.

The young guy keeps on coming.

Just as he gets to the front of the line, a rather healthy-looking older man comes out of the line and punches the younger guy in the stomach to the vocal glee of the older crowd!

As the younger guy recovers from the assault, he defiantly stares at the people in line.

He then yells out, "None of you will get into the store until I unlock the doors!"

[The above story is fictional (I hope) for the sole purpose of humor and has no relationship to anyone
living or dead.]
GoOoOoOoOoBears!
Blueblood said:

I went to my local supermarket to buy some grub.

This supermarket opens at 8 am to initially accommodate elder shoppers only.

So I get in the long developing line at about the 8 am opening time.

As I'm standing there, I, as well as others standing in line, notice a young guy
quickly walking up to the front of the line.

As he approaches the front of the line, a little old lady with a cane raised warned him
to not cut in line or he'll get it!

There were other shouts of a similar nature coming from those in the line.

The young guy keeps on coming.

Just as he gets to the front of the line, a rather healthy-looking older man comes out of the line and punches the younger guy in the stomach to the vocal glee of the older crowd!

As the younger guy recovers from the assault, he defiantly stares at the people in line.

He then yells out, "None of you will get into the store until I open the doors!"

[The above story is fictional (I hope) for the sole purpose of humor and has no relationship to anyone
living or dead.]

LOL, good one, Blueblood.
Big C

Yes, good one. Humor is going to help us get through this, in lieu of other things that we do not have enough of.
bearister
I was waiting for the part where the 101st Airborne Division dude brings da ruckus.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
LunchTime
Ha
Blueblood
bearister said:

I was waiting for the part where the 101st Airborne Division dude brings da ruckus.

Wow! The guy on the far right in the dark shirt is whompping on some guy with his right, but he also has a hell of a left hook as the guy crossing the room towards him painfully found out!
BearinOC
Isn't this gif from a couple of months ago from a cruise gone wrong? I think they were Brits getting too drunk having a brawl.
Blueblood
BearinOC said:

Isn't this gif from a couple of months ago from a cruise gone wrong? I think they were Brits getting too drunk having a brawl.
Please try taking a double dose of the recommended memory drug, thank you.
BearinOC
Oh yah? Where's it from?
Blueblood
BearinOC said:

Oh yah? Where's it from?
Where else......china........Zhngyo ho!
Big C

Meanwhile, I go to Safeway at about 12:30 this afternoon and am able to pick up about 90% of the items on my list, but when I go to the paper aisle, there is NOT A SINGLE roll of TP, paper towels, or box of kleenex in the whole aisle.

Still.

What gives? Are people still trying to stockpile this s***, or did the manufacturers get caught short, too?

What if I go when the store first opens in the morning? Where and when have others had luck? I have enough for a few more days, before my family is "wiped out".

Maybe BI should do an interview with our women's basketball coach, Charmin Smith, who must have some insight on this.

BearinOC
Blueblood said:

BearinOC said:

Oh yah? Where's it from?
Stupid...making **** up. Where in China? Why were they fighting?
BearinOC
Big C said:

Meanwhile, I go to Safeway at about 12:30 this afternoon and am able to pick up about 90% of the items on my list, but when I go to the paper aisle, there is NOT A SINGLE roll of TP, paper towels, or box of kleenex in the whole aisle.

Still.

What gives? Are people still trying to stockpile this s***, or did the manufacturers get caught short, too?

What if I go when the store first opens in the morning? Where and when have others had luck? I have enough for a few more days, before my family is "wiped out".

Maybe BI should do an interview with our women's basketball coach, Charmin Smith, who must have some insight on this.

That is typical right now. It took my wife and me about 2 weeks to track down TP. Costco finally had it this weekend but ran out soon after. Good luck on your hunt.
dimitrig
Big C said:

Still.

I went into my local market a week ago. They said they get TP in stock every single day and sell out quickly. So, I guess it is coming in but it is selling out quickly despite the limit of two per person.

My sister had an "assignment" to get TP for our mom who was down to 4 rolls and she did find some so I guess it exists. I haven't seen it myself. However, I did manage to score 6 rolls of paper towels, a couple boxes of Kleenex, and 1 package of paper napkins on my last trip this weekend. Luckily, I had managed to stock up on TP before this madness so I am not out scouring the markets for TP at the risk of my own health... yet.

I agree that this is beyond ridiculous!

P.S. I was told that diapers are not in short supply although I am not shopping for those. I assume it is because they are expensive. What about tampons and the like? Was there a run on those, too? Why or why not? Strange times...

Advice from a Russian:

Blueblood
BearinOC said:

That is typical right now. It took my wife and me about 2 weeks to track down TP. Costco finally had it this weekend but ran out soon after. Good luck on your hunt.

"Well, maybe you should learn the other
8 ways?"
HearstMining
From theplumber.com:
"In the late 19th century, the Sears catalog became popular in rural America. People simply hung it up on a nail and had a free supply of 100's of pages of absorbent, uncoated paper. Corn cobs were still holding as a strong second place contender, however."
AunBear89
HearstMining said:

From theplumber.com:
"In the late 19th century, the Sears catalog became popular in rural America. People simply hung it up on a nail and had a free supply of 100's of pages of absorbent, uncoated paper. Corn cobs were still holding as a strong second place contender, however."

Corncobs are still bluedud's preferred method- but not for wiping.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
GBear4Life
What are people worried about? Martial law and zero businesses open? Get a grip people. Stop hoarding goods unnecessarily, impacting others by leaving them nothing. Buy per your usual habits.

Bottled Water? Do they think cities will shut off water or something? Unbelievable.
BearinOC
GBear4Life said:

What are people worried about? Martial law and zero businesses open? Get a grip people. Stop hoarding goods unnecessarily, impacting others by leaving them nothing. Buy per your usual habits.

Bottled Water? Do they think cities will shut off water or something? Unbelievable.
+1
82gradDLSdad
BearinOC said:

Big C said:

Still.

My wife and I went to senior hours shopping at Walmart this morning and got a bundle (1 per customer) of TP and paper towels. No big deal as long as you go at 6am.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Big C said:

Still.

My wife and I hit Safeway at 7 AM this morning when they opened. 7AM - 9 AM Tuesdays and Thursdays were posted as Senior Citizens hours, so we thought we'd go then even though we don't feel like senior citizens. It seemed like they were accepting anyone though. Toilet paper was one to a customer with a clerk handing them out in the produce department. Weird location. Super generic with 4 rolls of apparent 1 ply TP in clear plastic with no labeling of any kind at all. Not even a bar code. $4 a package. Paper towels were in short supply but they had 20-30 packages out. I picked up an 8 pack of Brawny towels for $18.99. Steep, but if you need them, you need them. We didn't look for kleenex.
TheSouseFamily
bipolarbear
Big C said:

Still.

We went to Lunardi's in Walnut Creek last week. All that was left im the paper isle were a very few random items of "recycled, organic" products. I guess people would rather use newspaper.
okaydo
I'll probably come across as a jerk for posting this, but keep in mind this is for 5 people.

So I usually buy AngelSoft via Amazon Subscribe and Save. And I have a "deal alert" email set up on Deal News and/or SlickDeals to email me whenever there's a deal on AngelSoft. So on March 6 -- shortly before people *started* going toilet paper crazy -- I get an email deal alert that Amazon is offering 120 double rolls of AngelSoft for $40. So I immediately bought it.

Do I feel like an a-hole? You bet.

(I am also well stocked up on paper towels.)

On the other hand, I've been unable to get hand sanitizer or a mask. (To be honest, I haven't really tried hard.)

About 2 years ago, I bought 200 packets of Purell, and only used about 20 of them. They are probably expired, but I now take them with me wherever I go to wipe my hands down whenever I come into close contact with people.

But there are other

MSaviolives
TheSouseFamily said:

Grocery clerk has a mean left--seems to come out of nowhere
dimitrig
GBear4Life said:

What happens when the people that maintain the water system all get sick and can't come in to work?

82gradDLSdad
TheSouseFamily said:

Both these guys should be in jail. You can't spit in a grocery store and you can't hit someone, from the back, for doing it. Even now.
MSaviolives
82gradDLSdad said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Both these guys should be in jail. You can't spit in a grocery store and you can't hit someone, from the back, for doing it. Even now.
No spitting, no hitting. Sounds like something a parent would yell at their kids.
Big C
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Big C said:

Still.

My wife and I hit Safeway at 7 AM this morning when they opened. 7AM - 9 AM Tuesdays and Thursdays were posted as Senior Citizens hours, so we thought we'd go then even though we don't feel like senior citizens. It seemed like they were accepting anyone though. Toilet paper was one to a customer with a clerk handing them out in the produce department. Weird location. Super generic with 4 rolls of apparent 1 ply TP in clear plastic with no labeling of any kind at all. Not even a bar code. $4 a package. Paper towels were in short supply but they had 20-30 packages out. I picked up an 8 pack of Brawny towels for $18.99. Steep, but if you need them, you need them. We didn't look for kleenex.

I NEVER used to buy these items unless they were on sale. Maybe the silver lining to this cloud is that the paper products manufacturers, no longer needing to offer discounts to retailers, will reap some big profits and Coach Charmin Smith, with her newfound wealth, will be able to provide the financial backing for the women's and men's basketball practice facility!
GBear4Life
dimitrig said:

GBear4Life said:

What happens when the people that maintain the water system all get sick and can't come in to work?

Stop it! lol
GBear4Life
This is an odd thing to say, but should plastic water bottles be banned? Or make the redemption value more expensive than the retail of the product.

Same with paperless billing. Shouldn't the default be paperless billing and if you want billing through snail mail, you pay a fee?
bearister
Many of these bar fights on CCTV are from Russia. This guy has skills. The guy in the middle of the floor never answers the 10 count.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Blueblood
AunBear89 said:

HearstMining said:

From theplumber.com:

Corncobs are still bluedud's preferred method- but not for wiping.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

"I keep tellin' ya aUNbear89 you should try using corncobs.
With respect to wiping, I think its got to be a lot better than
using your hands like you keep doing."
BearinOC
Blueblood said:

BearinOC said:

Oh yah? Where's it from?
From China huh? What a jackass talking out of his ass. I studied Chinese for 5 years. Last I checked, Zhngyo ho is not jiberish.
Blueblood
BearinOC said:

Blueblood said:

BearinOC said:

Oh yah? Where's it from?
From China huh? What a jackass talking out of his ass. I studied Chinese for 5 years. Last I checked, Zhngyo ho is not jiberish.
You're the jackass, jackass. I studied Chinese for 6 years!

"May the Force be with you big green grasshopper!"
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.