Best Concert You Ever Attended

26,541 Views | 235 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by prospeCt
sonofabear51
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I like both. Almost like 2 different bands. First time I saw the Doobies was at Shoreline maybe '86 or '87. McDonald was still there. The last couple years we have seen the Doobies twice, and they really rock the place. I guess depends on what you like, and I like both.
As for Fleetwood Mac, I only saw them once, I think early or mid 80's. They were OK. But, what they used to be when Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, Jeremy Spencer were there, now that was a totally different band, sound, etc. And some of Peter Green's solo work is amazing.
Oh, and don't forget Bob Welch's input also.
Start Slowly and taper off
sonofabear51
Saw Lucinda Williams, front & center, Lobero Theatre in Santa Barbara, 3 years ago.
ducky23
Jesus you people are old.

As apparently the lone representative of Gen X I'll go with

Phish msg
RHCP Greek
Green Day Gilman '90

sonofabear51
Saw the RHCP at SLO before they were huge. 80's. They came out on stage wearing nothing but a sock. 1 sock! LOL
juarezbear
blungld said:

Clash and English Beat!!!

Senior in high school got a press pass and stood with arms on the stage touching Dave Wakeling and Joe Strummer's boots. Little did I know that only 5 months later I would witness The Play.

I saw the same show a few days earlier at The Palladium on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood. I remember entering the show to see people climbing the speakers and doing full gainers into the pit. Crazy good concert. Both bands were great, but The Clash were next level.
juarezbear
Final Allman Bros show at The Beacon Theatre in NY on Oct 28, 2014. It was 5 straight hours of amazing music.
Bob Marley and The Wailers November 30, 1979 at the Oakland Auditorium.
Stevie Ray Vaughn and Little Charlie Sexton August 11, 1980 in a tiny bar in Austin
Glenn Campbell on his farewell tour at The Hollywood Bowl
Several Dead shows at Winterland and The Berkeley Greek
Prince at the Universal Ampitheatre in 1992
Grateful Dead at Radio City, Halloween 1980
The Who first concert after Keith Moon in a tiny Roman ruin near Cannes, France in May 1979
The Minutemen sometime in Fall 1980 at Club Lingerie in LA
Sue Jorge at The Hollywood Bowl Summer 2018 when he played a tribute to David Bowie
Miles Davis at The Greek in LA in Summer 1987
wifeisafurd
bearister said:

Mine:

Intimate: Alarm at UCLA in 1986
Stadium: Rolling Stones 1972 (first and best concert). Opening act: Stevie Wonder at 22.
flounder
Earth Wind and Fire at The Greek.

Wu Tang Clan at Coachella
89Bear
On campus:
X
UB 40
B52's

In general:
Who/Clash LA 1984
Chilli Peppers-Amsterdam 1989
Day on the Green 1988
BearlyLegal
The Who and The Clash Oakland colliseum 1982

Led Zeppelin at LA forum 1977

Pink Floyd at Anaheim stadium 1977

Talking Heads Stop Making Sense tour at Greek Theater Berkeley 1983
ColoBear
Allman Brothers 40th Anniversary Tour with Railroad Earth at Red Rocks (2009)

Doobie Brothers at the Mountain Winery (2004)

Lynyrd Skynyrd and Journey New Year's eve at the Oakland Coliseum (1977)

Montrose at Winterland (1975)

Steve Miller Band and ZZ Top at Winterland (1975)
bearinMN
Linda Ronstad and Jackson Browne. 1974 Berkeley Community Theater
Go!Bears
Boot said:

The Who at the Berkeley community Theatre June 1970. Keith Moon hadn't slipped into full blown alcoholism and Pete, Roger and John Entwistle were magical. It was the live at Leeds tour with most of Tommy.
Dec. 1971, the Who's Next tour at Bill Graham Civic. My ears rang for days. It was worth it...
GoOskie

My first concert.

joe amos yaks
Funk and rock concerts in no particular order -- for us and some later with / for the kids:

George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic with Bootsy Collins at the Orpheum (1989).
Tower of Power at Slims, New Years Eve (2004)
The Uptones (ca 1988)
The Pretenders at the Greek (1984)
The Who at the Oakland Coliseum (ca 1980)
The Police in Oakland (1983)
The Police at the Seattle Kingdome (1982)
Jimi Hendrix at the Oakland Coliseum (1969)
The Beatles at the Cow Palace, SF (1964).

Seattle is a great town, but the Kingdome had poor acoustics was not good for football / baseball. It's gone.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
WoodlandBear
The Replacements at Tipitina's in New Orleans on September 9, 1987.
westcoast101
Tom Petty at the Greek (Berkeley) in 2006 or Tom Petty at Red Rocks in 2017.
NVBear78
bearister said:

sonofabear51 said:

We saw them again a couple years ago. And there are better tracks then that one.
Oh, another great band still going is the Doobie Brothers!

Which version did you prefer, Tom Johnston or Michael McDonald? It reminds me of when Fleetwood Mac sold out its Blues roots to chase the money with the Stevie Nicks/Lindsey Buckingham takeover. Tom Johnston was harder Rock and Michael McDonald more R &B. and soul (he was a back up singer for Steely Dan). I have to admit, I thought the songs were better written and sung under McDonald's reign.

Hated the Michael McDonald Version of the Doobies though he is a talented musician and I loved Steely Dan.

Love the Tom Johnston version of the Doobies and understand that is the current composition of the group. They put out some of the all time classics and had a great, great sound.
76BearsFly
Grateful Dead at Winterland, October 1974; U2 at San Fran War Memorial sometime in 1982 or 1983; Iggy Pop at some decrepit movie theater in San Diego, 1979 sometime....
NVBear78
The Talking Heads performed free in Sproul Plaza in 1978. Anybody else hear them? Still remember them playing their first hit "Take me to the River"....
juarezbear
NVBear78 said:

The Talking Heads performed free in Sproul Plaza in 1978. Anybody else hear them? Still remember them playing their first hit "Take me to the River"....
I was also there. Sire Records used to break acts with live shows in lower Sproul. I seem to recall the B52's playing there. Did Blondie also play lower Sproul? I saw The Police on their inaugural tour at Zellerbach where The Knack opened for them. Also saw Patti Smith at Rather Ripped Records at Heast and Euclid in 1978.
socaltownie
Dead at Red Rocks 1985
LudwigsFountain
Otis Redding at the Fillmore late 60's

Dylan at the Greek

Loved the Bread and Roses concerts
mbBear
bearister said:

Mine:

Elton John, Yellow Brick Road Tour, The Forum...first date concert.
Alice Cooper, Welcome to My Nightmare Tour., the Forum...'75...went because friends wanted to go, I didn't think I was a fan...didn't realize how many songs I knew...incredible show
Fleetwood Mac: I think about 77...first row, Berkeley Community Theater. Waited in line all night at the ASUC for tickets....Stevie Nicks made eyes at my roommate...

As an Adult..........Bruce, several times.
WalterSobchak
BB King, Berkeley Community Theater (Early 90s)
Old 97's, Justin Herman Plaza (2010, free show for "Texas On Tour" tourism promo)
A Tribe Called Quest, Erb Memorial Union (1993, Midnight Marauders College Tour)
pasadenaorbust
bearister said:

pasadenaorbust said:

I had a crush on a girl back in the day named Mary Higgins...and every time I hear "Mary, Mary" by The Monkees I still think of her. I still have that album.

....and your next girlfriend was....

Wow...Valleri...I think The Monkees came on Monday evenings if I'm correct...have to check on that. An interesting note on Mary, Mary is that Glen Campbell, who was a session musician for so many artists I couldn't begin to name them all here, was also the guitarist on Mary, Mary.

Mary Higgins by the way...was two grades ahead of me...so was a bit bittersweet. But...I did get to talk with her once when our family visited their home...so that made my year.
bearister
My friend, John Cerney, is a muralist in Salinas. Last year he did a free project in Marfa, TX, to commemorate the filming there of the James Dean movie Giant. Michael Nesmith lives in Carmel Valley and got involved in the project. Michael's music plays in Rock Hudson's car powered by a solar panel.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearsWiin
The best concert I didn't attend was Paul McCartney at California Memorial in Feb. 1990. We lived a half block from the stadium, so we sat out on the roof and listened to a free concert and sang Hey Jude with 60,000 paying suckers
bearister
BearsWiin said:

The best concert I didn't attend was Paul McCartney at California Memorial in Feb. 1990. We lived a half block from the stadium, so we sat out on the roof and listened to a free concert and sang Hey Jude with 60,000 paying suckers

I forgot about this. I was there. It ranks with my best...but with the memory somewhat marred by the fact that I had severe bronchitis, it was a chilly evening, my wife and I walked from and back to a house on MLKWAY, and I ended up with pneumonia. Macca could still hit the high notes in 1990 (he stubbornly refuses to sing in anything but his young man's key so now it gets embarrassing).
SFCityBear
Marlene Dietrich at the Circle Star

BB King and Bobby Blue Bland at the Circle Star

Waylon Jennings at the Circle Star

Chuck Berry at the Fillmore

Grateful Dead at the Fillmore

Janis Joplin at Winterland

bearister
"Grateful Dead at the Fillmore"

"Janis Joplin at Winterland"

Why SFCB, I never would have figured you to be a Freak. Next you are going to tell me you smoked reefer there. I lost millions of brain cells at Winterland.

UrsusTexicanus
Back when it was Marriott's Great America: Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, Herman's Hermits (without Herman) and the Monkees.
Larno
How's this for a combo - after the 1975 Big Game stomping we hustled back to Berkeley and caught Paul Simon at the Berkeley Community Theater. During the four encores Garfunkel comes out on stage for a couple of songs.

Linda Ronstadt and Leo Kottke at the Greek in mid-70's.

My daughter and I went to the Paul McCartney concert in 2014, the last event at Candlestick. Our seats were literally the farthest you could get from the stage, the back row in the upper deck. About 15 minutes before it was supposed to start a guy came by with a handful of comp tickets for the lower deck almost on the floor and asked if anyone was interested. Yes sir! They delayed the start for an hour as there was a massive traffic jam and people were late. I heard later that some couldn't get in at all.

My first concert was Peter, Paul and Mary at the Berkeley Community Theater in the late 60's. I was more into folk music then.

James Taylor at the Greek (Berkeley, I know there's one in LA). Eagles, Clapton in San Jose (not together, or course). Chicago and Judy Collins at a McGovern benefit at the Civic Auditorium in SF in 1972. Actually, between the county fair and the community theater there have a been a lot of great concerts here in my town in the Central Valley over the years. Not compared to metropolitan areas, or course, but still not bad for an aging boomer who likes to watch the "classic" bands and performers.
sonofabear51
Couple other great shows:

Sex Pistols at Winterland, think 1979?

Roxy Music in Oakland circa ~1983

Pete Seeger & Arlo Guthrie at the Concord Pavilion
SFCityBear
bearister said:

"Grateful Dead at the Fillmore"

"Janis Joplin at Winterland"

Why SFCB, I never would of figured you as a Freak. Next you are going to tell me you smoked reefer there. I lost millions of brain cells at Winterland.

Sorry to disappoint you Bearister, but I abstained. I figured I didn't have enough brains cells to lose. And I need them now, in order to try and keep up with all the bright whippersnappers on the BI.

When I was a Cal student, I hashed for meals at Bayview Terrace, a boarding house for young ladies up on Warring Ave. The President of the girls one year was Susie, who became a life long friend. In one of her careers, she was Bill Graham's executive secretary, and she got me into all the concerts and the parties. Enough for a lifetime.

I think I remember a couple more concerts: Joan Baez at Zellerbach?, and Bob Dylan at the Greek?, but I may be wrong. I know I heard them perform somewhere. I need a nap.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.