Story Poster
Photo by Trevor Ruszkowski USA Today

Cal's Ashtyn Davis Goes to Jets in 3rd Round of NFL Draft

April 24, 2020

Asthtyn Davis, the track star who walked on to the Cal football team was the first Bear selected in the NFL draft Friday when the New York Jets took him with the 68th overall choice, the fourth selection of the third round.

Davis, who was the Pac-12 high hurdles champion in 2017, walked on to the football team in the spring of 2015. He finally earned a scholarship and after a stellar senior season is now a pro.

“I was just excited obviously,” Davis said in a conference call when asked about his reaction when he heard his name called. “I don’t know how to describe it other than that. My hands were shaking. I didn’t expect myself to really get too nervous, but I did. It was awesome seeing my parents’ reaction and everybody’s reaction.” 

Shortly after his selection he was on the phone with his new employers.

“There were a bunch of people on the conference call,” he said. “They passed the phone around, I spoke with pretty much everybody on the defensive side of the ball and the head coach.”

The New York media was quick to point to Davis’ selection as a sign the Jets were ready to dump starting free safety Marcus Maye, whose contract is up after the 2020 season. He has been with the Jets for three years. But Davis said he looked forward to learning from Maye and strong safety Jamal Adams

“They have dramatically improved their defense and played really well over the last couple of years,” Davis said. “I am excited to be behind two guys who know what they are doing and do it really well. I am going to do as much as I can to help out.

Because of his surgery that kept him out of Cal’s Redbox Bowl victory, Davis did not run the 40-yard dash at the Scouting Combine. He intended the run at Cal’s pro day but that was canceled. The lack of a recent time combined with the uncertainty that goes with any surgery made Davis’ status uncertain going into the draft.

He obviously was able to convince the Jets he was A-OK.

Jets GM Joe Douglas tweeted,  "We were looking for explosive guys, explosive playmakers."

Davis said he had remote conversations with 20 about 20 teams since the country shut down because of the coronavirus. He couldn’t recall if the Jets were one of them “But I had a really good meeting with them at the Combine,” he said. “So it isn’t that much of a surprise.”

No safeties were selected in the first round of the draft Thursday. Five were chosen in the third and Davis was the first taken in round 3.

Rounds four through seven are scheduled to take place Saturday morning (Pacific Time) and linebacker Evan Weaver and safety Jaylinn Hawkins the other two Bears invited to The Combine hope to be selected.

Other stories:

Barth's Commitment Keeps Cal Football Recruiting on a Roll

Bears Anxiously Await NFL Draft

Discussion from...

Cal's Ashtyn Davis Goes to Jets in 3rd Round of NFL Draft

8,145 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 91Cal
BearSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Congratulations to Ashtyn.

Nice praise for him here from Bruce Feldman:

chazzed
Nice. Congratulations, Ashtyn!
79 Bear

Pretty cool. Old-timers like me will remember Wayne Chrebet.
Bobodeluxe
Five were taken in the second round.
Rushinbear
Congrats to Davis!

I can't be the only one who has noticed the vast difference in celebration between the old, arena-type setting and the in-home streaming. I saw hardly any excitement and cheering by anyone in the homes, especially the players. They were so ho-hum, for the most part.
CALiforniALUM
Rushinbear said:

Congrats to Davis!

I can't be the only one who has noticed the vast difference in celebration between the old, arena-type setting and the in-home streaming. I saw hardly any excitement and cheering by anyone in the homes, especially the players. They were so ho-hum, for the most part.
Do you think that the NFL might pump in cheering sounds during the live in person event? Not that uncommon for TV to give the impression of excitement and applause when the crowd is otherwise small, silent or asleep.
Rushinbear
CALiforniALUM said:

Rushinbear said:

Congrats to Davis!

Do you think that the NFL might pump in cheering sounds during the live in person event? Not that uncommon for TV to give the impression of excitement and applause when the crowd is otherwise small, silent or asleep.
No, but I expected that the player and his family would be jumping up and down, back slapping. That kind of thing. Didn't see much of that. More of Oh, yeah? That's great.

Maybe it's anticlimactic since they all apparently know well in advance. Still, they've all known well in advance in prior years.
Oski87
Rushinbear said:

CALiforniALUM said:

Rushinbear said:

Congrats to Davis!

No, but I expected that the player and his family would be jumping up and down, back slapping. That kind of thing. Didn't see much of that. More of Oh, yeah? That's great.

Maybe it's anticlimactic since they all apparently know well in advance. Still, they've all known well in advance in prior years.
I think it was a timing thing. The announcement was done about 40 seconds before it is actually shown on TV - so the kid is on the phone talking to the coach or the agent, and the family sitting there does not know until it is broadcast a bit later. You can see on some of them the very delayed reaction and we already knew for what seemed like a minute.
91Cal
Congratulations to Ashtyn! Terrific to have been able to watch him emerge at Cal and looking forward to following the next phase of his journey!

That said, I just noticed that he went two picks ahead of GA's new team picking the safety from Texas...wonder how much GA was lobbying to get AD to join him.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.