Desean Jackson not doing himself any favors

11,118 Views | 98 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Cal Strong!
CALiforniALUM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
According to ESPN, posting anti-Semitic statements on his social media account.

mbBear
This at full blown exposure in the local Philly media, social media....
ClevelandBear
no to mention throwing shade at vaccinations.. sigh
okaydo

concernedparent
Truly embarrassing.
NYCGOBEARS
Ugh....
sycasey
Here's a rundown for those who want to understand what this is all about:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29422431/eagles-desean-jackson-says-hate-jewish-community-posting-anti-semitic-messages

No real defense for what he originally posted, I can only hope he's sincere that he really didn't understand what he was doing and could possibly learn from this.
Chapman_is_Gone
Obviously, unless there's a double standard in society, Desean should be fired and given at least a one-year ban by the NFL. Ignorance is no excuse.

If the SF investment banker can be fired for simply standing next to his "Karen" wife in Pacific Heights in the chalk incident, this transgression is 100x worse than that, especially coming from a prominent platform. When quoting Hitler, it is best to think twice before clicking "submit."
okaydo
Chapman_is_Gone said:

Obviously, unless there's a double standard in society, Desean should be fired and given at least a one-year ban by the NFL. Ignorance is no excuse.

If the SF investment banker can be fired for simply standing next to his "Karen" wife in Pacific Heights in the chalk incident, this transgression is 100x worse than that, especially coming from a prominent platform. When quoting Hitler, it is best to think twice before clicking "submit."

The NFL isn't society.

DeSean's former teammate Riley Cooper yelled the N-word and got a contract extension.

A guy with a tattoo of a white supremacist group was recently drafted.

DeSean will be fired if he doesn't show enough remorse and/or it's not worth the trouble of keeping him around.

sycasey
okaydo said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

The NFL isn't society.

DeSean's former teammate Riley Cooper yelled the N-word and got a contract extension.

DeSean will be fired if he doesn't show enough remorse and/or it's not worth the trouble of keeping him around.

It's way easier to get another investment banker who doesn't create a media firestorm than to get another guy who can run and catch the ball like DeSean Jackson can. The employer's incentive is very different.
calumnus
sycasey said:

okaydo said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

The NFL isn't society.

It's way easier to get another investment banker who doesn't create a media firestorm than to get another guy who can run and catch the ball like DeSean Jackson can. The employer's incentive is very different.

Especially during a pandemic/recession when you might be looking to trim headcount anyway.
StarsDoMatter
NFL players are silent. Truly disgusting.

Imagine the outrage if a white player said this about blacks or whoever.

NFL players only care when a white guy says something racist. Says a lot about them and the league.

Drew Brees was crucified for saying players should stand !!!!

Disgusting double standard. But why am I not surprised. The liberal media is barely covering it.
sycasey
StarsDoMatter said:

Drew Brees is still the quarterback for the Saints. He's doing fine.
bearister
sycasey said:

StarsDoMatter said:

Drew Brees is still the quarterback for the Saints. He's doing fine.

Just don't say "kneel" or it is a secretive, non acknowledged lifetime ban.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
59bear
Why am I not surprised?
okaydo
StarsDoMatter said:

NFL players only care when a white guy says something racist. Says a lot about them and the league.

Disgusting double standard. But why am I not surprised. The liberal media is barely covering it.

1. Drew Brees was told repeatedly over 4 years that the kneeling during the National Anthem wasn't protesting veterans. Repeatedly. Then he equated kneeling to disrespecting his WWII grandparents. He wanted to be willfully ignorant.

That's totally unlike DeSean's case.

Also, Brees is one of the highest-profile players in the NFL, the lynchpin of his team. One of the biggest stars. So having somebody in his position say that was disappointing.

In contrast, DeSean was injured most of last year and has barely been a factor in recent years.

2. The "liberal media" has not been ignoring this story.

3. My guess is that DeSean is totally ignorant of Judaism and anti-Semitism. And I bet a lot of players in the NFL are, too. (Even though DeSean is more likely to have encountered Jews having grown up in the Los Angeles basin.) I think that's why there isn't (unfortunately) the visceral reaction.

I think Mitchell Schwartz's brother Geoff is on to something:

https://nypost.com/2020/07/07/ex-giant-not-surprised-by-nfl-players-silence-over-desean-jackson/

4. DeSean now has apologized twice, has vowed to meet with rabbis, has apologized to the owner, his bosses.

The reason this is big news is that there hasn't been (as far as I know) any indication that DeSean has expressed these kind of viewpoints before. I stopped following him on social media a while back. But generally when high-profile people are ousted for racist behavior, it isn't because of an isolated incident (see Roseanne and Megyn Kelly). If he's fired, fine, he'll learn the lesson about hatred the hard way. If he's not, and he genuinely shows remorse (and it's not part of a pattern of behavior), then he could turn this into something positive.

sycasey
I love when people say the "liberal media" won't report on something even though the reason we know about it is because it's being reported on.
StarsDoMatter
The idea that NFL players are too stupid or ignorant of Judaism is a bush league double standard excuse.

White guy says something racist, it's over for him. Black players say something racist and I'm hearing players say "it's a learning experience " and he " doesn't understand Judaism"

I'm calling BS to the highest degree. He needs to fired immediately and shamed.

The fact that some of you are trying to somehow rationalize what he says or treat him like a child (hes 33!!!) shows how sad this whole thing is.
StarsDoMatter
All I hear is how "woke" we're supposed to be. Malcolm Jenkins is always reminding us, just like Lebron, all of them.

Where are they now?
okaydo
StarsDoMatter said:

The idea that NFL players are too stupid or ignorant of Judaism is a bush league double standard excuse.

White guy says something racist, it's over for him. Black players say something racist and I'm hearing players say "it's a learning experience " and he " doesn't understand Judaism"

I'm calling BS to the highest degree. He needs to fired immediately and shamed.

The fact that some of you are trying to somehow rationalize what he says or treat him like a child (hes 33!!!) shows how sad this whole thing is.

July 31, 2013:

February 27, 2014:

November 4, 2013:

February 7, 2015:

January 8, 2018:

May 28, 2019:

Arcadiabear
StarsDoMatter said:

All I hear is how "woke" we're supposed to be. Malcolm Jenkins is always reminding us, just like Lebron, all of them.

Where are they now?

Troll....
StarsDoMatter

I was wrong. They are that stupid.
StarsDoMatter
Troll? Why is that? Because I call BS on very obvious things.

I haven't watched sports in months, and all we see is athletes "lecturing" us on how we're supposed to think and act.

Then see desean Jackson and now Stephen Jackson (two guys I grew up loving) saying repulsive things and wonder why athletes are trying to somehow justify it.

It's embarrassing and sad.
StarsDoMatter

It's white America's fault DJax said that anti Semitic garbage

NYCGOBEARS
I've supported DeSean all these years through some questionable behavior. I can no longer do that. Perhaps Chip Kelly wasn't completely wrong?
GMP
StarsDoMatter said:

Never heard of Riley Cooper, huh? Lazy, ignorant, and confirmation biased analysis.
StarsDoMatter
I have heard about Riley copper.

And when he said the n word the NFL went crazy. Players were outraged. Players were vocal. The media was all over it. Stephen Jackson didn't come to his defense!!!

Lesean Mccoy no longer wanted him as a teammate.

Where are they now??? Selective outrage.

So no not lazy analysis, just the truth.
ducky23
Chapman_is_Gone said:

Wait, we're allowed to fire people for reposting stupid/idiotic/offensive things on Twitter?

Cool. When can we start?

I mean, ignorance is no excuse, right?
LunchTime
okaydo said:

StarsDoMatter said:

1. Drew Brees was told repeatedly over 4 years that the kneeling during the National Anthem wasn't protesting veterans. Repeatedly. Then he equated kneeling to disrespecting his WWII grandparents. He wanted to be willfully ignorant.

Also, Brees is one of the highest-profile players in the NFL, the lynchpin of his team. One of the biggest stars. So having somebody in his position say that was disappointing.

In contrast, DeSean was injured most of last year and has barely been a factor in recent years.

3. My guess is that DeSean is totally ignorant of Judaism and anti-Semitism. And I bet a lot of players in the NFL are, too. (Even though DeSean is more likely to have encountered Jews having grown up in the Los Angeles basin.) I think that's why there isn't (unfortunately) the visceral reaction.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/07/ex-giant-not-surprised-by-nfl-players-silence-over-desean-jackson/

4. DeSean now has apologized twice, has vowed to meet with rabbis, has apologized to the owner, his bosses.

The reason this is big news is that there hasn't been (as far as I know) any indication that DeSean has expressed these kind of viewpoints before. I stopped following him on social media a while back. But generally when high-profile people are ousted for racist behavior, it isn't because of an isolated incident (see Roseanne and Megyn Kelly). If he's fired, fine, he'll learn the lesson about hatred the hard way. If he's not, and he genuinely shows remorse (and it's not part of a pattern of behavior), then he could turn this into something positive.

Kaepernick has tweeted his opinion of the country and the military. The idea that he kneeled to be respectful because some random vet why was SF said it was still respectful is garbage.

Maybe some or most of them respect the military, but Colin Kaepernick does not. If we are going to credit him with the movement, credit him, all inclusive. Admit all evidence.

Regardless, Jackson wont see much blowback from this. You can say anything you want about Jews and IF confronted give a half assed apology and get away with it. It's been that way for like 5000 years. Pretending that it's a big deal is humorous. People will do backflips to excuse antisemitism.
okaydo
LunchTime said:

okaydo said:

StarsDoMatter said:

Kaepernick has tweeted his opinion of the country and the military. The idea that he kneeled to be respectful because some random vet why was SF said it was still respectful is garbage.

Maybe some or most of them respect the military, but Colin Kaepernick does not. If we are going to credit him with the movement, credit him, all inclusive. Admit all evidence.

Regardless, Jackson wont see much blowback from this. You can say anything you want about Jews and IF confronted give a half assed apology and get away with it. It's been that way for like 5000 years. Pretending that it's a big deal is humorous. People will do backflips to excuse antisemitism.

Serious questions: Do you have proof of Kaepernick attacking the troops?
BearNIt
I will not support racism in any shape or form from anybody no matter who they are.
StarsDoMatter
Remember when Lebron James said that Daryl Morey "is not educated on China" and " that he needs to face the consequences and ramifications of his tweet" ... remember that??? All morey said was "stand with Hong Kong" when they were being oppressed (still are) by the Chinese.. Other NBA / NFL players viciously attacked morey. So did ESPN, so did the rest of the liberal media, everyone.

Well tonight they are silent. What desean said was beyond reprehensible. Stephen Jackson made it worse. JR smith liked desean's post.

This is insane, idiot, but not surprising. They have genius ideas like dismantling the entire police dept. Real Einstein's here folks. Sad!
m2bear
StarsDoMatter said:

Remember when Lebron James said that Daryl Morey "is not educated on China" and " that he needs to face the consequences and ramifications of his tweet" ... remember that??? All morey said was "stand with Hong Kong" when they were being oppressed (still are) by the Chinese.. Other NBA / NFL players viciously attacked morey. So did ESPN, so did the rest of the liberal media, everyone.

Well tonight they are silent. What desean said was beyond reprehensible. Stephen Jackson made it worse. JR smith liked desean's post.

This is insane, idiot, but not surprising. They have genius ideas like dismantling the entire police dept. Real Einstein's here folks. Sad!

are you jewish?
m2bear
ok, you're just a troll.
StarsDoMatter
I'm Jewish. Moms side.

But who the hell cares. You shouldn't have to be Jewish for this to bother you.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.