Pac-12 Statement on Fall Sports

2,962 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Big C
AuBear81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://calbears.com/news/2020/7/10/athletics-news-pac-12-statement-on-fall-seasons.aspx

Conference games only - details to follow
ColoradoBear
AuBear81 said:

https://calbears.com/news/2020/7/10/athletics-news-pac-12-statement-on-fall-seasons.aspx

Likely conference games only - details to follow

Reading that it actually confirms conference only games for football with schedule details to follow.
AuBear81
Agreed. I had to read it a few times... Makes sense given the circumstances, and it seems pandemic metrics may still scuttle things.
71Bear
ColoradoBear said:

AuBear81 said:

Reading that it actually confirms conference only games for football with schedule details to follow.
Once the Big Ten made their announcement, it was fait accompli that the P12 would follow.

LunchTime
So I wont miss the vegas trip? Serious question as I was pretty bummed about not being willing to go.
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

ColoradoBear said:

AuBear81 said:

Once the Big Ten made their announcement, it was fait accompli that the P12 would follow.

and the ACC.
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

71Bear said:

ColoradoBear said:

AuBear81 said:

and the ACC.
Officially, a decision by the ACC is still pending. IMO, it is only a matter of time before they make the call to eliminate OOC's....
BearPatrol
10 games fit into 14 weeks could work... could pause is need be for co-vid. It's actually a practical solution to some extent.
Creeping Incrementalism
This move is illogical. Play all or nothing.
BearSD
From the espn article:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29442474/pac-12-follows-big-ten-moving-conference-only-schedule-fall-sports
Quote:

One of the reasons the Pac-12 decided to push back the start of the football season was a concern that UCLA and USC would not be ready to play in early September because of coronavirus cases in the Los Angeles area, sources told ESPN.
Makes sense; it's very unlikely that the LA teams and the Arizona teams will be cleared to begin football practice any time in the next month.
dimitrig

It doesn't really matter if the team is in LA or Arizona or Alaska.

If the schools can control the environment of the student-athletes then there won't be any issues.

If the student-athletes are free to do whatever they want on their own time then there are going to be problems.

So teams either have to obtain buy-in from all of the players, coaches, and trainers (such as isolating together in the same dorm for the season) or else just forget it.

The focus on geography is misguided. It does play a part in that a kid who sneak out to see his girlfriend in LA is more likely to bring the virus back to the team than one in Montana, but the underlying issue has a lot more to do with control and discipline.

Since these are 18-21 year olds I am guessing that enough of them won't be able to follow the rules no matter which school they play for.

72CalBear
dimitrig said:

It doesn't really matter if the team is in LA or Arizona or Alaska.

If the schools can control the environment of the student-athletes then there won't be any issues.

If the student-athletes are free to do whatever they want on their own time then there are going to be problems.

So teams either have to obtain buy-in from all of the players, coaches, and trainers (such as isolating together in the same dorm for the season) or else just forget it.

The focus on geography is misguided. It does play a part in that a kid who sneak out to see his girlfriend in LA is more likely to bring the virus back to the team than one in Montana, but the underlying issue has a lot more to do with control and discipline.

Since these are 18-21 year olds I am guessing that enough of them won't be able to follow the rules no matter which school they play for.

So true. As an 18 year old freshman on a D1 team, I did not use good judgement, at all! For this reason, and several others, we will not have a season this fall, and I doubt this spring. Look at the 18-20 year olds around you now. And away from home?
OdontoBear66
Judgment goes out the window as the socialization goes on. Young people group closely together and have trouble not touching. You can watch it in you own family, in news film out in public. It just happens. No judgment of the behavior. It seems instinctive and just happens.
touchdownbears43
So what happens when a Power 5 team ends up having a rash of COVID19 cases? The backups play and the team just deals with it? That's inevitably going to happen and likely happen multiple times throughout the leagues.
Big C
Yeah, watch most any younger people that are out and about now. Either they forget to social distance sometimes or -- the latest thing -- their mask isn't covering their nose or is down around their chin as a fashion statement/show of defiance. Parents are letting their kids play with other kids outside, semi-unsupervised, reminding them about social distance, figuring they know what to do now (they can diligently repeat the steps), but then they just aren't doing it some of the time.

Teachers are going to have "fun" with this in the fall (if kids go back)!

What we did from mid-March through May was about all we had in us to do... unless we start seeing people we know dying in a hospital corridor while waiting for an open spot in the ICU.
oskidunker
It will likely have to get real bad before people wake up. San Mateo Athletic club opens tomorrow and half the people I know there are going back with 50 minute limited work outs, no fans and limited equipmrnt
Go Bears!
smh
oskidunker said:

It will likely have to get real bad before people wake up. San Mateo Athletic club opens tomorrow and half the people I know there are going back with 50 minute limited work outs, no fans and limited equipment
friend -
please reassure you're too smart to go back, nor hang'n with half the people you knew there, riight?
many zombies contagious infected don't show obvious symptoms until they've already Passed It On.
# just takes one whoopsie to ruin a bear's life
signed, 41/42 hunkered down bear
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
smh
Big C said:

..unless we start seeing people we know dying in a hospital corridor while waiting for an open spot in the ICU.
damn BigC.. voice of experience?
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
Big C
smh said:

Big C said:

..unless we start seeing people we know dying in a hospital corridor while waiting for an open spot in the ICU.
Not yet, smh, fortunately. I HAVE been guilty of letting my daughter play with her friend, in our back yard. She would come in to tell me how well they were social distancing. Then I went out there: They were two feet apart, the friend had her mask down by her chin and my daughter had lost hers. This all happened in 15-20 minutes.
Cal Strong!
Unless there is a 6-week mandatory federally-imposed lockdown of 90% of the American population, there will be no sports until there is a vaccine. Things are not getting better in America.
dimitrig
Big C said:

smh said:

Big C said:

Not yet, smh, fortunately. I HAVE been guilty of letting my daughter play with her friend, in our back yard. She would come in to tell me how well they were social distancing. Then I went out there: They were two feet apart, the friend had her mask down by her chin and my daughter had lost hers. This all happened in 15-20 minutes.

I have this image of your daughter being 4, but she's probably 14. Amiright?
BearSD
touchdownbears43 said:

So what happens when a Power 5 team ends up having a rash of COVID19 cases? The backups play and the team just deals with it? That's inevitably going to happen and likely happen multiple times throughout the leagues.

That will be a battle. Suppose the team with a lot of covid cases wants to reschedule that game, and the other team says, "No way, the schedule says we play this game today, get out here and line up your scrubs against our starters."

This happened a few weeks ago in a soccer match in Europe. The better team in the game had to quarantine their entire first-team squad; the weaker team decided they needed the win too badly to be nice about it. The better team's youth academy players had to play the game and lost 10-0.
Bobodeluxe
"The better team's youth academy players had to play the game and lost 10-0."

Oh, the humanity!
wifeisafurd
touchdownbears43 said:

yes, just like dealing with a rash of injuries. If too many players on too many teams are down, too many back players, especially frosh, it becomes unsafe in a contact sport, and there goes the season.

Business employees at essential services (the person where you buy groceries), emergency workers, and the like all have been taking on some level of risk, and at some point, if there is a season, we are asking players in all sports to take on some risk. Hopefully, the decisions makers are thinking wisely about the risks, and demand and enforce safety protocols if season go forward. Understand that everyone, particular players, want sports back. Absent an effective vaccine program in the next couple months, the season will be subject to risk. No way around that.
LunchTime
touchdownbears43 said:

It solves the problem as I saw it.

With a truncated season, or even with a 11 conference schedule, the season has a massive asterisk next to it.

May as well play all the backups. The season doesnt matter anyway. Its just to do SOMETHING rather than skip a season.
Big C
dimitrig said:

Big C said:

smh said:

Big C said:

I have this image of your daughter being 4, but she's probably 14. Amiright?

Eight. Sometimes 8 going on 14, other times 8 going on 4, so your image intersects with reality, in a way.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.