Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Dylan Jemtegaard
Cal Football

Bears Stay Hot on the Commitment Trail, Adding WA OG Dylan Jemtegaard

July 20, 2020

Just a day after he received his dream offer from the Bears, 6-4/290 Yelm (Yelm, WA) High School offensive guard Dylan Jemtegaard‍  committed to Cal, announcing via Twitter.

“I’m super-excited,” said Jemtegaard. “Cal started recruiting me a few months ago. They just offered yesterday.

“I think it’s been really respectible the way they handled the recruiting process. They really wanted to look into me as a student, as a leader and as an athlete, really making sure I’m the kind of guy they were looking for. So they gave us a couple months to develop the relationship.

“I think it really worked out well. It gave us a couple months to really get to know each other and I think it’s a really good fit.

“I love Coach McClure. He’s awesome. I really can’t wait to play for him and have him be my coach. He’s been really transparent throughout the process. I really apppreciate the honesty and integrity.

“I think my aggressive style of play and my academic profile really fits into what Cal’s looking for. They’re a highly-academic school and play football at the highest level, so I know it will be a perfect fit.”

Yelm head coach Jason Ronquillo feels like his star lineman will be a good fit at Cal.

“It’s great news,” said Ronquillo. “I’m so happy for Dylan and his family.

“Dylan’s a captain and he’s that sort for any program he’d play for. He plays with a nasty disposition but off the field, he’s a caring individual and a great student. He’s one of the best. He surrounds himself with great people and he’s always doing the right thing. He’s a young man who’s ready to turn the corner. It’s 5:30 am and he’s there to catch the city transit bus to get to school and when I get there at 6:15 in the morning, he’s already waiting for me by my office and he’s the last one to leave practice to take the city bus home.

“He’s the oldest of five kids so he’s had to watch his younger siblings. He’s grown up pretty quickly and his parents have done it the right way. Just a blue collar type family who’s done a great job raising him.”

As for the technical elements of his skill set, Ronquillo noted: “He’s really athletic for a big guy his size. Right now, he’s probably 6’4 ½, 300 pounds. He’s a kid that plays basketball and that’s helped with the development of his feet. He’s got great feet and is long limbed and he’s real athletic. I think Cal plans to use him at guard but I think they’re leaving the door open to play any of the line positions, including center, though he’s never played there for me.

“We pass a lot but he loves it when we run. He loves getting after people and putting them on their back. He’s got great bend, too. He’s a real flexible kid.”

Rated 3 stars (82 grade) on 247 and as of yet unrated on Rivals, Jemtegaard becomes the third offensive lineman to join Cal’s 2020 recruiting class and 12th overall, joining last week’s commit, Eastside Catholic OT Will Reed‍ and Minnesota OL Bastian Swinney‍ as 2021 O-line commits for the Bears.

An outstanding student with a 3.95 gpa, Jemtegaard had offers from Boise State, San Diego State, Fresno State, Air Force and Ivy Leaguers Cornell and Darthmouth along with others before committing to Cal.

Discussion from...

Bears Stay Hot on the Commitment Trail, Adding WA OG Dylan Jemtegaard

14,927 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AunBear89
Bearly Clad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome to Bear Territory Mr. Jemtegaard! Glad to have you joining the Cal Family!!
BearNIt
I just love the Big Uglies. You can't teach athleticism and playing basketball means he can move. Looking forward to seeing this young man get after it. BOOOOM!
heartofthebear
The lair gets bigger and badder.
FireFighterBest
Great news!!
YLS Bear
Great to get a guy who is fired up to be here. No hesitation - accepted right after he got the offer.
helltopay1
pretty typical Cal recruit. Mid Major offered plus the Ivys. A student--c- football player. The only for Cal to compete in the talented pac 12 conference is to augment mediocre players with superb coaching. Easier said than done. Cal, typically, cannot compete salary-wise with the perennial powers. Factor in the high cost-of-living in the Bay Area , and, it's easy to understand the also-ran status of the program. Factor in the nonchalance of a disinterested student body, and, it's enough to render skepticism even Amon g the most die-hard fans. l
Bearly Clad
I think you're getting distracted by recruiting ratings that haven't been updated lately. The staff, the mods, Brandon Huffman (national football reporter), and a lot of folks from Washington (including Tracey Ford who trains Jemtegaard and a lot of the top talent out of WA, like J.T. Tuimoloau consensus #2 overall recruit in the country) are really high on Dylan. Watch his tape, he is incredibly impressive and has a very similar recruiting profile to guys like Alex Mack
chazzed
Recruiting is moving along in a fast and furious manner. Welcome to Cal, Mr. Jemtegaard!
CALiforniALUM
Can somebody call up Joe Starkey and ask him how to pronounce this kid's last name?
rkt88edmo
Love the O-line signings! Keepin it at the BIG NEWS level.
m2bear
CALiforniALUM said:

Can somebody call up Joe Starkey and ask him how to pronounce this kid's last name?

I laughed.

I love the fact that we're going hard in the trenches. That's where big-boy football wins games.
Bubba_Bear84
Dylan, welcome to the Cal family. We're glad to have you on board. Can't wait to watch you pass out pancakes like it's a brunch buffet. Somebody grab the syrup!
Bearly Clad
calumnus
Welcome Dylan!

Definitely am happy with the increased emphasis on the OL!

Like that this kid is already 300 lbs, but plays basketball.

Go Bears!

bonsallbear
Just got home and saw this news! I am so impressed with Cal's recruiting. Big, tall, and athletic o lineman.
Keep these guys coming.
Bubba_Bear84
Bearly Clad said:

BC, I knew you'd be there with the butter, syrup, whipped cream, strawberries and whatever other toppings to go on top.
Rushinbear
Quick feet, straight back, runs freely, aggressive. And, a great student. Gotta love it.

Welcome to Cal, Dylan. (I'm pronouncing it JEM teh guard until told differently).
Goobear
Rush, it is a Swedish last name. Two A's make it a long sound like gaahrd...
burritos
Seem light on his feet but can bull rush the 290 lbs when appropriate.
Rushinbear
Goobear said:

Is "guard" close enough? Also, is it JEM or YEM?
Bearly Clad
I'm not positive, so don't hold me to this, but I'm pretty sure it's pronounced yem-teg-ard
FloriDreaming
Great! Welcome!!

The recruiting class is shaping up nicely. Good job to the staff under difficult circumstances.

Go Bears!
OdontoBear66
Rushinbear said:

Goobear said:

Is "guard" close enough? Also, is it JEM or YEM?
If it's Swedish it is Yem......I only know for my grandmother born in Sweden called my wife Yoody till the day she die....I would even practice with her.....Now say Jha, Jha, Jha....Which she would do. Then it was Jha, Jha, Yoody.
AunBear89
It's probably Danish. The "aa" is used as a substitute for the a with a circle above it, pronounced "oh" - so the Danish name is pronounced "yem-te-gohrd". It means something like together yard.

Danish philosopher Kierkegaard - pronounced "sheer-ka-gohrd " means Church yard. The d at the end of both words is almost silent in Danish.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Rushinbear
AunBear89 said:

It's probably Danish. The "aa" is used as a substitute for the a with a circle above it, pronounced "oh" - so the Danish name is pronounced "yem-te-gohrd". It means something like together yard.

Danish philosopher Kierkegaard - pronounced "sheer-ka-gohrd " means Church yard. The d at the end of both words is almost silent in Danish.
Has anyone asked him?
AunBear89
Well, that's another matter. I was just speaking to how the Danish name Is pronounced in Denmark.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.