Dykes vs. Spavital

7,039 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by GivemTheAxe
chazzed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who ya got?
oskidunker
Nobody. Both look bad. But its aD1 game. If Sonny died of the Virus would people here be falling over each other mourning? I don't wish hi any ill but just curious.
Go Bears!
chazzed
That's a weird first reply.
oskidunker
Its weird times. Go Texas State! So far better than the other two blow outs this morning. Army looked like USC.
Go Bears!
chazzed
The weirdest of times.
tc3590
I'm Pulling for Texas State. I always liked Spavital.

Don't hate Sonny but, he has said a few things about his time at Cal that have made me turn my head.
oskidunker
Boy SMU has terrible defense. What surprise. Secondary just fouls since they can't cover. Defensive line is a sieve . Coaching stinks. Is Andy coaching defense.
Go Bears!
Cal84
It's a known fact that Dykes utilizes an alien energy transmission device that sucks energy from his defensive players and transfers it to his offensive players...
GivemTheAxe
oskidunker said:

Nobody. Both look bad. But its aD1 game. If Sonny died of the Virus would people here be falling over each other mourning? I don't wish hi any ill but just curious.

Sorry man but football is still just a game Not a matter of life and death.
If SD died of the Virus, I would be sad. He gave us some exciting games. Unfortunately he was not a good all around head coach.
joe amos yaks
SMu can't stop the rush, but Coach Dykes is winning.
oskidunker

Go Bobcats all the way,
Keep that maroon and gold on high!
Fight on for every play
Until you hear that Bobcat battle cry!
We're gonna cheer for our team today
Until the whole world knows our name.
No doubt about it,
We're gonna shout it

Sonny Dykes is going down
Just like Bozo the Clown.
Go Bears!
71Bear
chazzed said:

Who ya got?
Thankfully, Justin Wilcox.

The days of unwatchable football are in the rear view mirror now. No need to look back, keep your eye on the road ahead....
ColoradoBear
Watching grass grow is more interesting.
oskidunker
Td. Go for 2. 29-28?
Go Bears!
chazzed
It's a good thing nobody here is still bitter.
GivemTheAxe
Cal84 said:

It's a known fact that Dykes utilizes an alien energy transmission device that sucks energy from his defensive players and transfers it to his offensive players...

What is ironic is that for all the offensive prowess (and there was a heck of a lot) under SD, one of the most memorable series was the 5 minute defensive goal line stand against Utah in 2016.
I was emotionally drained when time finally ran out.
BearSD
chazzed said:

It's a good thing nobody here is still bitter.

I'm not bitter, but Sonny is bitter about Cal. He seems to think he should have been worshipped like Nick Saban even though he had only one winning season in four and ho'd himself out to every open head coaching job while he was here.
wifeisafurd
When in Sydney, the wife and I spent a fair amount of time with Spavital. Cerebral guy, who would actually be a good fit for Wilcox and company. Not surprised he is a head coach. Reminds me a lot of Sirmon.
chazzed
I also take issue with things that Dykes has done and said with respect to Cal, but he was instrumental in cleaning up the mess left by Tedford (it pains me to have to type such things). Dykes got us moving in the right direction again.
sycasey
GivemTheAxe said:

Cal84 said:

What is ironic is that for all the offensive prowess (and there was a heck of a lot) under SD, one of the most memorable series was the 5 minute defensive goal line stand against Utah in 2016.
It was basically the one and only time the defense won a game for Cal under Dykes.
GivemTheAxe
sycasey said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Cal84 said:

It was basically the one and only time the defense won a game for Cal under Dykes.

When Utah got 1st and goal with a few minutes to play, I told my friends in the stands that Cal should let Utah score on the next play and give the offense more time to score in the closing minutes. I had no confidence at all in the defense being able to hold Utah.
Marty
Wasn't interested enough to watch the game from start to finish. Every time I did tune in, it seemed like another Texas State player was leaving the field injured, and/or the undermanned and less talented Texas State offense was marching up and down the field against a typical Sonny D defense. Kind of ironic that 2 former Cal coaches were lining up against one another deep in the heart of ****hole... errr... Texas.

I always thought Sonny was a good guy, and as was pointed out above, he did right a leaky ship to some extent, both on and off the field. And he's not a dumb guy, which is why I wonder, after coaching in countless shootouts for many years, many that he's lost in heartbreaking fashion, that he seems unwilling to adjust his defensive philosophy and increase his focus and sharpen his hiring and recruiting on that side of the ball. Until he does, he'll continue to bounce around among 2nd level programs and lead mediocre teams which are as unbalanced as any in college football. He seems to be the embodiment of the old adage

"If you're uncomfortable with change, you're really gonna hate irrelevance."
sycasey
GivemTheAxe said:

sycasey said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Cal84 said:

When Utah got 1st and goal with a few minutes to play, I told my friends in the stands that Cal should let Utah score on the next play and give the offense more time to score in the closing minutes. I had no confidence at all in the defense being able to hold Utah.

I was mad that Dykes didn't use his time outs to preserve more time to come back after they scored. I still think he should've, but that certainly made it more dramatic!
chazzed
How about the win at Memorial against WSU in Goff's last season? If I recall correctly, Cal's D made two or three key plays.
sycasey
chazzed said:

How about the win at Memorial against WSU in Goff's last season? If I recall correctly, Cal's D made two or three key plays.

You could argue the same about Washington that year. But still, in each case Cal still had to score at least 30 to win. In the Utah game we got it done with only 28 points.
chazzed
Utah was running all over us in the game in question but, yeah, I can see your perspective. We did only surrender 23 points and there was the goal line stand.

Any way, good call on the UW game. I'm surprised it didn't cross my mind in the same way that the WSU game did.
Cal Strong!
Cal Strong seem to recall that Wilcox tried to get Spavital to stay on as OC. But West Virginia was better fit for him and he was a little disappointed not to have been offered the Cal HC position.

burritos
Had Spavital been retained, 40% of fans would have wanted him gone by the end of the first season. There'd be a 10% vocal group that would regularly post(sometimes with outright vitriol) on how Spavital should be canned and how a different OC who thinks outside the box like Beau Baldwin would have us scoring 45 points a game using a whole array of twisted logic and statistics. The rest of the 60 percent would enjoy the wins of the 50/50 season but would be marginally swayed by the arguments from the curmudgeons after losses to upper tier division rivals.
FloriDreaming
oskidunker said:

Butthurt much?

I've seen far too much of this garbage - not just from haterz who can't let the past go, but from the coronavirus lockdown Nazis who somehow think wishing illness and death on others bolsters their insane positions.

This virus hysteria has turned people into really stupid jerks. That attitude is far more toxic than this stupid virus.
FloriDreaming
71Bear said:

chazzed said:

Who ya got?

The days of unwatchable football are in the rear view mirror now. No need to look back, keep your eye on the road ahead....
Instead we have no football and we're arguing over teams that are actually playing.

Yeah, what an upgrade.
71Bear
Uthaithani said:

71Bear said:

chazzed said:

Who ya got?

Instead we have no football and we're arguing over teams that are actually playing.

Yeah, what an upgrade.
Quite frankly, I'd rather have no football than the unwatchable mess that Dykes fielded.
sycasey
chazzed said:

Utah was running all over us in the game in question but, yeah, I can see your perspective. We did only surrender 23 points and there was the goal line stand.

Any way, good call on the UW game. I'm surprised it didn't cross my mind in the same way that the WSU game did.
Actually, looking back on it I'd have to say UW 2015 was the other time. I forgot that one of the Huskies' touchdowns was on a fumble return, which is not the defense's fault at all. So really the D only gave up 17 in that game. That's another one where a Dykes team actually won it with defense.
GivemTheAxe
Uthaithani said:

oskidunker said:

Butthurt much?

I've seen far too much of this garbage - not just from haterz who can't let the past go, but from the coronavirus lockdown Nazis who somehow think wishing illness and death on others bolsters their insane positions.

This virus hysteria has turned people into really stupid jerks. That attitude is far more toxic than this stupid virus.

"Lockdown Nazis". How did we jump from criticism of Sonny to a criticism of the only approach that currently has been proven to work in successfully fighting the pandemic? (Along with masks and social distancing). Strange!!!!!!!
calumnus
GivemTheAxe said:

Uthaithani said:

oskidunker said:

Butthurt much?

"Lockdown Nazis". How did we jump from criticism of Sonny to a criticism of the only approach that currently has been proven to work in successfully fighting the pandemic? Strange!!!!!!!

There are two proven approaches. The first is mask wearing with widespread free community (rapid) testing with tracking and tracing to identify clusters (especially those who are asymptomatic) with only those who test positive then quarantined. This was the approach used successfully in South Korea (now being undermined by infections originating at the US military bases) with little impact on their economy.

The second, full lockdown, is when you don't have adequate community testing, so you have to assume anyone might be a asymptomatic spreader.

It is the failure of the US to produce enough tests (or even spend the money congress allocated for testing) and to make widespread free testing available (with rapid results) that leaves lockdown as the only alternative. Or the third alternative: do nothing, suppress testing, force reopening and watch people die and find out the long term health effects on the millions who live.

Hopefully the PAC-12 sets up the rapid testing regime for athletes that will allow football to be played and the US will finally go forward with something similar for the rest of us (as per the plan Biden has been touting for months).
GivemTheAxe
burritos said:

calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

Uthaithani said:

oskidunker said:

Butthurt much?

"Lockdown Nazis". How did we jump from criticism of Sonny to a criticism of the only approach that currently has been proven to work in successfully fighting the pandemic? Strange!!!!!!!

There are two proven approaches. The first is mask wearing with widespread free community (rapid) testing with tracking and tracing to identify clusters (especially those who are asymptomatic) with only those who test positive then quarantined. This was the approach used successfully in South Korea (now being undermined by infections originating at the US military bases) with little impact on their economy.

The second, full lockdown, is when you don't have adequate community testing, so you have to assume anyone might be a asymptomatic spreader.

It is the failure of the US to produce enough tests (or even spend the money congress allocated for testing) and to make widespread free testing available (with rapid results) that leaves lockdown as the only alternative. Or the third alternative: do nothing, suppress testing, force reopening and watch people die and find out the long term health effects on the millions who live.

Hopefully the PAC-12 sets up the rapid testing regime for athletes that will allow football to be played and the US will finally go forward with something similar for the rest of us (as per the plan Biden has been touting for months).
Lockdowns have resulted in an increase in suicides and domestic violence.

To the foregoing comments I have two questions:
1 How many deaths have there been and will there be connected to the virus? We are fast approaching 200,000 and still climbing with no end in the near future.
2. How many people who become infected will have serious suffering and long term Physical damage connected to this virus in the long run?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.