Local government officials

9,526 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by LMK5
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
75bear said:

It's happening!!!
This deserves many stars
sluggo
71Bear said:

sluggo said:

71Bear said:

sluggo said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

SC players just upped the ante, publicly demanding Newsom grant the same exemption as he did for Rams/Chargers. If Newsom grant the exemption, one wonders how this is going to play out with SC President Folt, who already is in trouble with the donor base. She has to get the players back playing or she might as well move back to Carolina.
This is laughable. Does anyone really think the Governor will be influenced by some kid that is whining about playing football? WIAF, you are a lot smarter than to think someone can make "demands" of the Governor of a state of 40 million people (unless, of course, he is a billionaire contributor to his campaign). In this case, the Governor will do what is right regardless of pressure from a college football player.......
It might. When he is campaigning in Wisconsin in a few years he will not want to be the guy who prevented the pac12 from playing football when daily testing was available and the pros were playing. Complaining about arbitrary restrictions is not whining. Hopefully others will stand up.

What is laughable is that you think that he will do what is right rather than reading the room and making the decision that benefits him. I don't think that makes him different than most who hold such positions.

Sluggo

If Harris is elected VP, Newsom will have to table his ambitions.....

Newsom is young enough to wait.

And as I thought, according to the twittersphere, Newsom caved. He is good at reading the room. Here is to players "whining."

Sluggo
If you think some random kid influenced Newsom....

In fact, he listens to the CEO Group.

I don't claim to know how he makes decisions or what goes into his political calculations. I am not sure how you know, either, but maybe you do. I do think players speaking out helped create the atmosphere where changes are being made, but that cannot be proved or disproved.

Sluggo
71Bear
sluggo said:

71Bear said:

sluggo said:

71Bear said:

sluggo said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

SC players just upped the ante, publicly demanding Newsom grant the same exemption as he did for Rams/Chargers. If Newsom grant the exemption, one wonders how this is going to play out with SC President Folt, who already is in trouble with the donor base. She has to get the players back playing or she might as well move back to Carolina.
This is laughable. Does anyone really think the Governor will be influenced by some kid that is whining about playing football? WIAF, you are a lot smarter than to think someone can make "demands" of the Governor of a state of 40 million people (unless, of course, he is a billionaire contributor to his campaign). In this case, the Governor will do what is right regardless of pressure from a college football player.......
It might. When he is campaigning in Wisconsin in a few years he will not want to be the guy who prevented the pac12 from playing football when daily testing was available and the pros were playing. Complaining about arbitrary restrictions is not whining. Hopefully others will stand up.

What is laughable is that you think that he will do what is right rather than reading the room and making the decision that benefits him. I don't think that makes him different than most who hold such positions.

Sluggo

And as I thought, according to the twittersphere, Newsom caved. He is good at reading the room. Here is to players "whining."

Sluggo

I don't claim to know how he makes decisions or what goes into his political calculations. I am not sure how you know, either, but maybe you do. I do think players speaking out helped create the atmosphere where changes are being made, but that cannot be proved or disproved.

Sluggo

Fair enough. We can certainly disagree amicably.....
bearister
North Carolina game against Charlotte cancelled with COVID quarantines

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2020/09/17/north-carolina-game-against-charlotte-cancelled-covid-quarantines/3479424001/
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
AunBear89
bearister said:

North Carolina game against Charlotte cancelled with COVID quarantines

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2020/09/17/north-carolina-game-against-charlotte-cancelled-covid-quarantines/3479424001/

I blame Newsom (or Pelosi. Take your pick)
Big C
OaktownBear said:

SFCityBear said:

71Bear said:

sycasey said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

wvitbear said:

Not to change the subject but how could the schools of Washington, Oregon and California play football with this air/
It is a factor. At least the Oregon schools would not play or practice under various rules. Oregon has AQI over 400 currently. But one hopes, the smoke will be gone enough in a few weeks to allow practice. If the Pac voted to play today, I still don't see play happening until November, and that assumes the health regulations change on November 4.
The bad news - Fire season has just begun. We will see a lot more before this year is over.
Maybe so much has burned already that it'll be harder for new fires to start? Maybe? Please?
As long as the federal government continues to ignore the 60% of forest land in California that is under their control, we are screwed. I might add the State has also done little to mitigate the problem on the land under their control.

It is principally a matter of thinning the forests of the dead trees (due to bark beetle infestation). Yes, there are 150 million of them (and many are not accessible) but you have to start somewhere......
Both the Feds and the State are probably in fear of the lawsuits from the greenies that will follow if they remove even a single fallen tree branch. The Left destroys everything it touches, and destroys some things by not touching them.
This is a complete mischaracterization of the environmentalist position.

The natural state of forests in the western US is there will be fires. Under normal circumstances the fires are relatively small in comparison to what we see today. Crown fires are extremely rare. Healthy, mature trees are designed to withstand fires. They are fire ******ant producing chemicals naturally that ****** fire and allow them to survive. It is the brush and smaller invasive trees that burn. Fires clear out the brush and smaller invasive species that choke the forest. Under normal conditions, healthy, mature trees survive fires and the forest ends up healthier. Further, most trees in the western US have seeds that mainly germinate after a fire. There are relatively few ways those seeds can germinate. Basically a few germinate due to animal activity (birds and squirrels eating the outside). Most sit in the ground until a fire comes along. In any case, even if they germinate, seedlings are unable to grow efficiently through brush and shrubs and smaller trees. Consistent, smaller fires leaves healthy mature trees intact, clears out the brush, and allows the seedlings of larger, flame ******ant species to grow into more healthy mature trees giving you a nice, thick forest of healthy mature trees. If you want fewer large fires in California, what you want is nice, thick forests of larger, flame ******ant species. Thinning out these forests of healthy trees is the stupidest thing you can do. When the forests are thinned out, flammable brush, shrubs and smaller tree species fill in the gaps. Further, the forest is not able to develop a canopy that shades the forest floor and slows evaporation. Ever been in a old growth redwood forest, for instance? It is cold and moist. The ground is damp. The plants that grow under the canopy are lush plants. Ever been in a thinned out forest? It is sunny and hot and covered in grasses and shrubs that catch fire easily and burn extremely hot.

What we spent decades doing in our forests is suppressing all fires and chopping down healthy mature trees for lumber. In other words, exactly the perfect way to create flammable forests

This is basic forestry. What environmentalists (and frankly anyone who has studied forestry) have fought against is the logging of healthy mature trees, while fighting for controlled burns, removal of invasive species and dead trees. What Republicans have pushed for is logging of healthy mature trees because wealthy interests with lobbyists want to make money on lumber. Those interests don't make money on removing debris. They don't make money on controlled burns. They don't make money removing shrubs or small, non-native trees. They don't make money removing dead trees. Republicans have not fought to clear the forests of debris. They have fought against it.

Our problem is that we spent a century suppressing every fire allowing debris and flammable species to accumulate. We have moved further and further into forests where fire is common and where fire is now more severe because of our century of stupid forest management. We eliminated a large percentage of our old growth forests (old growth redwood forests were once prevalent down to the northern edge of the Golden Gate.- Muir Woods is where it is because one wealthy donor bought an island of land in the forest to preserve it while everything around it was chopped down) For 50+ years those that study forestry have been begging to dramatically increase our controlled burn program to restore the health of our forests and have been fought at every turn by logging interests and by those that don't want to spend any money on forest management (and that are too stupid to understand that chopping down healthy mature trees is the last thing you want to do to stop fires). No environmentalists are trying to prevent dead trees and branches from being removed.

Then the kicker is that the last 20 years have seen more droughts and higher temperatures in California, dramatically increasing the rate of evaporation and leaving our state much drier in the late summer and fall. You may not have noticed while you were sheltering in place, but we had almost no rain this year. Some of these fires are not even occurring in densely wooded forests. Vacaville isn't exactly the Amazon.

Well stated. Sadly, Forestry 10 was one of the few 10-series courses I DIDN'T take at Cal... but now I feel like I did!
wifeisafurd
Interesting sub-topics to a thread in which Uncle Larry probably was wrong, and the reasons for not playing seem to be more related to a conference that lacks leadership and reeks of systemic dysfunction (looking at Furd in particular). To appreciate what a **** show the Pac is, looks like it will be unanimous that the Mountain West, with its 3 California schools and schools in multiple states is starting football in October. All conference schools will play.
sluggo
71Bear said:

sluggo said:

71Bear said:

sluggo said:

71Bear said:

sluggo said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Sluggo

Sluggo

Sluggo

Hmm, it looks like the USC players jump started the resumption of football. Quoting from a Wilner article "But the next day, everything changed. The USC players went public with an appeal to California Governor Gavin Newsom, and suddenly Pac-12 football had the momentum required to return sooner than later."

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/10/13/hotline-investigation-documents-reveal-the-pac-12s-struggle-with-california-bureaucracy-until-usc-players-provided-a-spark/

Sluggo
71Bear
sluggo said:

71Bear said:

sluggo said:

71Bear said:

sluggo said:

71Bear said:

sluggo said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Sluggo

Sluggo

Sluggo

Hmm, it looks like the USC players jump started the resumption of football. Quoting from a Wilner article "But the next day, everything changed. The USC players went public with an appeal to California Governor Gavin Newsom, and suddenly Pac-12 football had the momentum required to return sooner than later."

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/10/13/hotline-investigation-documents-reveal-the-pac-12s-struggle-with-california-bureaucracy-until-usc-players-provided-a-spark/

Sluggo

As noted earlier, we can certainly disagree amicably.

Wilner found a bread crumb and immediately jumped to a conclusion that included a bread truck crashing and losing its load. In fact, it was some kid on the street eating a sandwich rather sloppily.
sluggo
71Bear said:

sluggo said:

71Bear said:

sluggo said:

71Bear said:

sluggo said:

71Bear said:

sluggo said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Sluggo

Sluggo

Sluggo

Sluggo

Wilner found a bread crumb and immediately jumped to a conclusion that included a bread truck crashing and losing its load. In fact, it was some kid on the street eating a sandwich rather sloppily.

What I can't tell is whether you think I am being amicable or not. I never said I was correct, that just that I might be, and now there is some evidence that I was.

I do think you should reconsider whether the players were whining or pushing back against arbitrary restrictions. I am firmly in the latter group.

Sluggo
71Bear
sluggo said:

71Bear said:

sluggo said:

71Bear said:

sluggo said:

71Bear said:

sluggo said:

71Bear said:

sluggo said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Sluggo

Sluggo

Sluggo

Sluggo

What I can't tell is whether you think I am being amicable or not. I never said I was correct, that just that I might be, and now there is some evidence that I was.

I do think you should reconsider whether the players were whining or pushing back against arbitrary restrictions. I am firmly in the latter group.

Sluggo

Yes, you are being amicable. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother responding. I would just add you to my ignore list (given how many people ignore me, I think it is only right to ignore others rather than waste time reading their rantings). And yes, I do think the players were wrong. While I understood their frustration, I don't think they were looking at the big picture. And I certainly do not believe for a moment, they influenced the decision that was made by conference leadership.
SpartanBear20
The Mercury News reports, "Stanford, SJSU football teams cleared to practice on campus in Santa Clara County:"

Quote:

Public health officials announced Tuesday that Santa Clara County moved into the orange, or moderate, tier in the state's risk reduction order to pave the way for regular football practices. The county had placed strict guidelines on activities such as football to help stop the spread of COVID-19.

San Jose State plans to return home Wednesday afternoon after more than a week of training at Humboldt State.

Stanford said it will begin on-campus practices Wednesday after starting fall training camp at Woodside High in San Mateo County last Friday.
I cheer for the Bay's two blue and gold teams that are in neighboring counties. Can you name the other one?
sluggo
71Bear said:

sluggo said:

71Bear said:

sluggo said:

71Bear said:

sluggo said:

71Bear said:

sluggo said:

71Bear said:

sluggo said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Sluggo

Sluggo

Sluggo

Sluggo

Sluggo

Yes, you are being amicable. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother responding. I would just add you to my ignore list (given how many people ignore me, I think it is only right to ignore others rather than waste time reading their rantings). And yes, I do think the players were wrong. While I understood their frustration, I don't think they were looking at the big picture. And I certainly do not believe for a moment, they influenced the decision that was made by conference leadership.

Good, I do mean to be amicable. I thought it was funny that Wilner addressed an obscure disagreement that we had. I did not even read the article all the way through since what caused what does not matter. I am just happy football is allowed.

I have to say, I am perplexed by "the big picture." Like whether they played or not has a material impact on public health given testing every day? I think not. I do think all activities that push us back towards normality that do not have such an impact should be allowed, and in this case, celebrated.

Sluggo
71Bear
sluggo said:

71Bear said:

sluggo said:

71Bear said:

sluggo said:

71Bear said:

sluggo said:

71Bear said:

sluggo said:

71Bear said:

sluggo said:

71Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Sluggo

Sluggo

Sluggo

Sluggo

Sluggo

Good, I do mean to be amicable. I thought it was funny that Wilner addressed an obscure disagreement that we had. I did not even read the article all the way through since what caused what does not matter. I am just happy football is allowed.

I have to say, I am perplexed by "the big picture." Like whether they played or not has a material impact on public health given testing every day? I think not. I do think all activities that push us back towards normality that do not have such an impact should be allowed, and in this case, celebrated.

Sluggo

There was a lot more involved in the decision-making process than just daily testing. For example, take a look at that Cal is doing to ensure the health and safety of the football program (in the N.Y. Times article I posted earlier today). I wish all the teams in the P12 good luck as they attempt to play through the pandemic.....
LMK5
SpartanBear20 said:

The Mercury News reports, "Stanford, SJSU football teams cleared to practice on campus in Santa Clara County:"

Quote:

Public health officials announced Tuesday that Santa Clara County moved into the orange, or moderate, tier in the state's risk reduction order to pave the way for regular football practices. The county had placed strict guidelines on activities such as football to help stop the spread of COVID-19.

San Jose State plans to return home Wednesday afternoon after more than a week of training at Humboldt State.

Stanford said it will begin on-campus practices Wednesday after starting fall training camp at Woodside High in San Mateo County last Friday.

That's mighty nice of the County since Stanford's season starts in 3 weeks and SJSU's starts in 10 days.
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.