49ers 2020 Season Thread

9,017 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
Bear_Territory
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No Bears this year...why not a thread for our only local pro team?

Anyway...yesterday was a disappointment. Jimmy G has developed a noddle arm and lost all his confidence. Would Trent Taylor or Dante Pettis make any other 53 man roster (what is the point of putting Pettis in motion if he can effectively be ignored)? Dline looks average without Deforest Buckner. This team has been awfully plagued with injuries for the past decade.
sycasey
They should have been up by more than 3 at the half, but the blocked punt and getting stuffed on the goal line meant the game was closer than it should have been. I expected Arizona to win after that, as they adjusted to Shanahan's tricky scheme intended to account for the lack of WR talent and the SF defense got tired of chasing Murray around.

Not sure what's happened to Jimmy G. Early on he showed a good arm, but now the throws are coming late with no zip. Starting to look like he's got Jim Everett disease.
calumnus
Bear_Territory said:

Anyway...yesterday was a disappointment. Jimmy G has developed a noddle arm and lost all his confidence. Would Trent Taylor or Dante Pettis make any other 53 man roster (what is the point of putting Pettis in motion if he can effectively be ignored)? Dline looks average without Deforest Buckner. This team has been awfully plagued with injuries for the past decade.

We are the University of California, and our team is "California" or "Cal" for short. We are not the "University of Northern California." Thus we have three local teams: the 49ers, the Rams and the Chargers. Two of those teams wear blue and gold and have Cal alums in starring roles. The other wears red and features Stanford alums.
sycasey
calumnus said:

Bear_Territory said:

We are the University of California, and our team is "California" or "Cal" for short. We are not the "University of Northern California." Thus we have three local teams: the 49ers, the Rams and the Chargers. Two of those teams wear blue and gold and have Cal alums in starring roles. The other wears red and features Stanford alums.
But nobody cares about the Chargers.
Bear_Territory
calumnus said:

Bear_Territory said:

You are welcomed to start a thread for the LA teams.
calumnus
Bear_Territory said:

calumnus said:

Bear_Territory said:

You are welcomed to start a thread for the LA teams.

It was only "our only local pro team" that I objected to. Carry on.

Calcupcakes
Agreed. I was delighted the two blue teams won and the red team lost yesterday.
hanky1
Jimmy G is a quarter year wonder.
Yogi8
Worst receiving corps in the NFL for over a decade. The only guy on their roster worth a damn playing the WR spot is Deebo Samuel, who was hurt. Everybody else that played in that game is worthless and wouldn't be on any NFL roster, while Emmanuel Sanders scored a TD for the Saints.

Terrible interior blocking on both pass and run. Bad offensive lines make QB's look bad 100% of the time and bad offensive lines plus bad WR's and bad RB's (other than Mostert) seals the deal. Should've kept Buckner and dumped Armstead, should've dumped Moseley. He got worked all day.

McKinnon sucks too. Almost all of his rushing yardage was on a 3rd and 17 running play and he couldn't run it in from one yard. Should've kept Brieda and dumped McKinnon's no talent ass. He's only adequate as a third down receiving back.
sycasey
Roxie Richter said:

Worst receiving corps in the NFL for over a decade. The only guy on their roster worth a damn playing the WR spot is Deebo Samuel, who was hurt. Everybody else that played in that game is worthless and wouldn't be on any NFL roster, while Emmanuel Sanders scored a TD for the Saints.

Terrible interior blocking on both pass and run. Bad offensive lines make QB's look bad 100% of the time and bad offensive lines plus bad WR's and bad RB's (other than Mostert) seals the deal. Should've kept Buckner and dumped Armstead, should've dumped Moseley. He got worked all day.

McKinnon sucks too. Almost all of his rushing yardage was on a 3rd and 17 running play and he couldn't run it in from one yard. Should've kept Brieda and dumped McKinnon's no talent ass. He's only adequate as a third down receiving back.

Pretty sure it was Mostert who got stuffed on the goal line.
Bear_Territory
49ers just signed Sanu, desperation move imo. They freed up 10mil in cap space but decided not to spend 4 million to retain Emmanual Sanders. Going cheap on WR will probably cost them...I guess you get what you paid for.
Bear_Territory
These injures.
sycasey
Niners win because the Jets suck, but they are a MASH unit now.

-Starting QB
-All-world TE
-Best DL
-Best WR
-Best CB
-Best RB

All were either injured coming in or lost during today's game. Yikes.
Unit2Sucks
sycasey said:

-Starting QB
-All-world TE
-Best DL
-Best WR
-Best CB
-Best RB

On the bright side, McKinnon looked pretty good. This looks like it's going to be a lost season, even if the NFL does keep it together and play a full season. With Bosa out for the year and Jimmy G out for perhaps half the year, it's not exactly a great start to the season.

Just goes to show you that people should stop asking what else can go wrong in 2020. It never ends.
sycasey
Unit2Sucks said:

sycasey said:

-Starting QB
-All-world TE
-Best DL
-Best WR
-Best CB
-Best RB

On the bright side, McKinnon looked pretty good. This looks like it's going to be a lost season, even if the NFL does keep it together and play a full season. With Bosa out for the year and Jimmy G out for perhaps half the year, it's not exactly a great start to the season.

Just goes to show you that people should stop asking what else can go wrong in 2020. It never ends.

Just saw Bosa is probably an ACL tear. Ouch. I thought last year's parade of defensive injuries was bad. This is too much to overcome I think.
sycasey
Well, the Giants seem to be almost as bad as the Jets.
Bear_Territory
Drafting was on point with Kinlaw and Aiyuk.
heartofthebear
What's the over/under for niner injuries next week?
sycasey
heartofthebear said:

Perhaps now that they're out of the house of horrors that was MetLife Stadium their luck will improve.
BearoutEast67
Go Rams!
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
heartofthebear
sycasey said:

heartofthebear said:

Perhaps now that they're out of the house of horrors that was MetLife Stadium their luck will improve.
They had a ton of injuries preseason.
But I think you're right.
Ironically, much of the current roster is made up of guys that finally came off IR after a year or two. These are now the healthy guys.
Krugman Is A Moron
Team still sucks, just got to play two teams that were worse
calpoly
Matthew Patel said:

I agree that they won against two really crappy teams. At this point they are hard to judge and the western division looks pretty tough this year.
sycasey
calpoly said:

Matthew Patel said:

I agree that they won against two really crappy teams. At this point they are hard to judge and the western division looks pretty tough this year.

Honestly, I think it's plausible that all four West teams make the playoffs (remember there's another wild card now). They do play the East in both conferences, which seems like the best draw. I'm not saying it's likely, just plausible.
calpoly
sycasey said:

calpoly said:

Matthew Patel said:

Honestly, I think it's plausible that all four West teams make the playoffs (remember there's another wild card now). They do play the East in both conferences, which seems like the best draw. I'm not saying it's likely, just plausible.
You might be right. The NFC East is really bad, it looks like the cowboys are the only team with a heartbeat.
sycasey
Well, THAT looked more like a Nick Mullens game.
Bear_Territory
The amount of injuries in pro football is insane. It's one thing to watch your team lose games because they are bad, but watching your team lose because 1/2 the salary cap is on the side line or watching from their own coach is frustrating and takes the fun out of the game.
sycasey
Uh oh, we suck.
91Cal
sycasey said:

Uh oh, we suck.

"We" suck?

We haven't even played a game yet! I am enjoying tracking our Cal Bears in the NFL, wishing they were having as much success as AR and counting the days until we find out whether our Golden Bears will win the conference!

Go Bears!
sycasey
91Cal said:

sycasey said:

Uh oh, we suck.

"We" suck?

We haven't even played a game yet! I am enjoying tracking our Cal Bears in the NFL, wishing they were having as much success as AR and counting the days until we find out whether our Golden Bears will win the conference!

Go Bears!

Note the title of this thread.
Unit2Sucks
sycasey said:

Uh oh, we suck.
If ever there were a year to take a sports mulligan, this is it. Looking at the Lakers championship as an example, there may not be an asterisk but how many people actually care about it? There are still doubts as to whether the NFL season will even continue uninterrupted (given how many games have already been cancelled) and if there is a Super Bowl who knows whether we will have returned to normal by then. When this all started in March I would have said it was unthinkable that we wouldn't be through this by Super Bowl 2021, but looking at where we are now? February seems right around the corner.
91Cal
sycasey said:

91Cal said:

sycasey said:

Uh oh, we suck.

"We" suck?

Go Bears!

No s***

"We" is still Cal...not everyone is a Niner fan
sycasey
91Cal said:

sycasey said:

91Cal said:

sycasey said:

Uh oh, we suck.

"We" suck?

Go Bears!

No s***

"We" is still Cal...not everyone is a Niner fan
Feel free to ignore the thread about the 49ers if you don't want to talk about the 49ers.
calumnus
Unit2Sucks said:

sycasey said:

Uh oh, we suck.
If ever there were a year to take a sports mulligan, this is it. Looking at the Lakers championship as an example, there may not be an asterisk but how many people actually care about it? There are still doubts as to whether the NFL season will even continue uninterrupted (given how many games have already been cancelled) and if there is a Super Bowl who knows whether we will have returned to normal by then. When this all started in March I would have said it was unthinkable that we wouldn't be through this by Super Bowl 2021, but looking at where we are now? February seems right around the corner.

Taiwan and Korea handled it with timely shutdowns, masks and widespread community testing and after pretty much stamping it out started playing pro baseball in April as scheduled. Seoul, a city of 10 million had only a handful of deaths. We could have done the same.
Cal89
I've spent a fair amount of time in Taiwan (TW), my wife is from there, and I'm very proud of how they handled the virus (SARS-CoV-2). There are reasons:

- The 2003 SARS experience, lessons learned (virus + CCP shenanigans) was paramount with respect to readiness (also true for SK)

- Unlike much of the world, TW's default position with the PRC / CCP is one of extreme distrust, now that exists with today's WHO, unfortunately

- TW had boots on the ground in Wuhan late 2019, and they knew, long before anyone else, in was serious, person-to-person

- Folks in TW, like Asia as a whole, are accustomed to wearing masks, have been for a long time, dating back to at least the mid-90s when I first visited

- TW's VP is an epidemiologist, he gets it more so than most politicians

- TW, like others in Asia, don't typically shake hands, hug/embrace or cheek kiss upon greeting

TW was uniquely positioned to address this pandemic. Before any other countries even knew about the "pneumonia", TW began screening passengers arriving from Wuhan, on 31 Dec 2019. That was huge. Given the above, it was a natural response for TW, as it would have been for any country with such knowledge and experience...

With fall here, winter upon us in the northern hemisphere, really hoping we, the world has a handle on this virus. From Axios a couple days back:

https://www.axios.com/europes-coronavirus-case-counts-france-spain-ffbb75ce-19e7-42bc-8558-69a5011808bb.html?utm_campaign=organic&utm_medium=socialshare&utm_source=twitter

For the Taiwanese out there, happy belated National Day (10/10)! Enjoyed watching the festivities...

Sig test...
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.