49ers 2020 Season Thread

9,156 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
helltopay1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
49ers are looking at Arizona for their remaining games. I'm not sure I like this edict.
71Bear
helltopay1 said:

49ers are looking at Arizona for their remaining games. I'm not sure I like this edict.
This is no surprise since the league structured the schedule to permit SF to play in AZ at any given point in the season. All Cardinal home games match up with Niner roadies and all AZ road games match up with Niner homies. It was anticipated that finishing the home schedule in Santa Clara would be problematic for the 49ers.
heartofthebear
Regardless, 49ers are going to have to earn their way to the playoffs with 5 games left and 5 wins.
10 wins will probably get you the playoffs but anything else is unlikely. That means beating Buffalo and Seattle, both "home" games that likely won't be at home. It also means beating Arizona in Arizona which might actually be a "home" game, if you know what I mean.

Those games are essentially the 49ers "playoff" because they will be eliminated if they lose any of them.

It was a great win today, but I don't know that the 49er offense is going to be able to continue to eek out plays in critical situation without Garrapolo and Kittle
sycasey
They're still not making the playoffs, but I'm impressed with the record they have given the injury situation. A bit like last year's Steelers.
71Bear
heartofthebear said:

Regardless, 49ers are going to have to earn their way to the playoffs with 5 games left and 5 wins.
10 wins will probably get you the playoffs but anything else is unlikely. That means beating Buffalo and Seattle, both "home" games that likely won't be at home. It also means beating Arizona in Arizona which might actually be a "home" game, if you know what I mean.

Those games are essentially the 49ers "playoff" because they will be eliminated if they lose any of them.

It was a great win today, but I don't know that the 49er offense is going to be able to continue to eek out plays in critical situation without Garrapolo and Kittle

Playoffs?!?

Did you say playoffs!?!

SF is not going to make the playoffs. Who cares? Even if they did, they wouldn't go very far. Winning today was all about sucking it up and doing the best you can under trying circumstances. Given the challenges presented by the virus and the crazy number of injuries, I have zero complaints about how this season has unfolded. They are what their record says they are.
heartofthebear
71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

Playoffs?!?

Did you say playoffs!?!

SF is not going to make the playoffs. Who cares? Even if they did, they wouldn't go very far. Winning today was all about sucking it up and doing the best you can under trying circumstances. Given the challenges presented by the virus and the crazy number of injuries, I have zero complaints about how this season has unfolded. They are what their record says they are.
The media is acting like they are still in the playoff picture.
sycasey
heartofthebear said:

71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

Playoffs?!?

Did you say playoffs!?!

Because technically they are. Not eliminated yet.
heartofthebear
sycasey said:

heartofthebear said:

71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

Playoffs?!?

Did you say playoffs!?!

They could be 3-8 and not be eliminated. It was a big win to keep them from dropping to 4-7 but the 49ers are pretty much going to have to go 5-0 with several key starters still out for them to realistically make it. They have the defense to do it. But I do not think they will get there wilth Mullins at QB. He had a good game but too many times he could not manage pocket pressure.
sycasey
heartofthebear said:

sycasey said:

heartofthebear said:

71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

Playoffs?!?

Did you say playoffs!?!

They could be 3-8 and not be eliminated. It was a big win to keep them from dropping to 4-7 but the 49ers are pretty much going to have to go 5-0 with several key starters still out for them to realistically make it. They have the defense to do it. But I do not think they will get there wilth Mullins at QB. He had a good game but too many times he could not manage pocket pressure.

Look, I agree with this. I'm just saying why they aren't written off in the national media. They have to show which teams are technically still in the hunt.
Bear_Territory
Is Deebo better than DK? I go back and forth.
Strykur
In the AFC it is going to come down to the Steelers and Chiefs, but the NFC is really muddled and the defense alone could push the 49ers into the Wild Card (also helps the NFC East is a heap of trash).
sycasey
Strykur said:

In the AFC it is going to come down to the Steelers and Chiefs, but the NFC is really muddled and the defense alone could push the 49ers into the Wild Card (also helps the NFC East is a heap of trash).

Just in looking it over, I see the Cardinals currently have the last wild card spot at 6-5. Behind them are three 5-6 teams: 49ers, Vikings, Bears. Are the Niners DEFINITELY worse than that group? If you assume Deebo, Mostert, and Sherman are back for good?

I wouldn't bet on them passing Arizona either, but the Cards are inconsistent so stranger things have happened.
71Bear
heartofthebear said:

71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

Playoffs?!?

Did you say playoffs!?!

Well, using that standard, Cal is still in the mix for a bowl game.
heartofthebear
71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

Playoffs?!?

Did you say playoffs!?!

Well, using that standard, Cal is still in the mix for a bowl game.
As many issues as the 9ers have, I have a lot more hope for them than Cal and yeh, it's a ridiculous standard.
bearister
Rams are my team now because of a combo of Goff being the QB and the Raiders in LV....so this hurts:

Sean McVay calls out Jared Goff in Rams' 23-20 loss to 49ers - Los Angeles Times

https://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/story/2020-11-29/nfl-week-12-rams-49ers-jared-goff
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
hanky1
bearister said:

Rams are my team now because of a combo of Goff being the QB and the Raiders in LV....so this hurts:

Sean McVay calls out Jared Goff in Rams' 23-20 loss to 49ers - Los Angeles Times

https://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/story/2020-11-29/nfl-week-12-rams-49ers-jared-goff
hanky1 is a big fan of Jared Goff, but Goff is on the hot seat now. Rams are stuck with Goff no matter what through 2022, but after that they can basically be free of Goff. The Rams are stacked - if Goff doesn't take it to the next level by next year, hanky1 wouldn't be surprised if they drafted a 1st round QB in the 2022 draft and let the rookie compete with Goff in 2022 in Goff's final audition.
71Bear
bearister said:

Goff - nice guy who folds under pressure
Rodgers - not so much a nice guy who thrives under pressure

Post removed:
by user
bearister
Was Rodger's even off the bench yet at this stage of Goff's career?
71Bear
bearister said:

Was Rodger's even off the bench yet at this stage of Goff's career?
This is Goff's fifth season. In Rodgers' fifth year, he led the league in INT % (1.3%).

Meanwhile, Goff is a turnover machine (second in the league among QB's).

bearister

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.