Great News from Oregon Governor-time for Newsom to step up

2,147 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by sycasey
NVBear78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just heard she says she is Ok to play football there if the PAC-12 wants...

Anyone have Gavin on speed dial? Cmon Governor let our young people play.
GivemTheAxe
NVBear78 said:

I thought the decision not to play was made by the various Schools.
Oski87
GivemTheAxe said:

NVBear78 said:

I thought the decision not to play was made by the various Schools.
The decision not to play was based on the fact that 6 of the schools did not have authorization to play due to their county or state health officials saying no play.

With the change to the daily testing after the end of this month, it is possible to proceed but the PAC 12 wants 6 weeks of practice before games, so probably the earliest would be mid to late November before actual games could happen.
heartofthebear
I wonder if the fires throughout the west will have a disproportionate effect on the pac-12 and when they play. Fire season is just beginning. Many expect it to go on through December and it could actually get worse once the fall winds start kicking in. Smoke from fires has impacted MLB games several times this season. And the respiratory impact of wildfire smoke can create increased risk factors for covid. I'm not sure the Big 10 has these issues.
wifeisafurd
heartofthebear said:

I wonder if the fires throughout the west will have a disproportionate effect on the pac-12 and when they play. Fire season is just beginning. Many expect it to go on through December and it could actually get worse once the fall winds start kicking in. Smoke from fires has impacted MLB games several times this season. And the respiratory impact of wildfire smoke can create increased risk factors for covid. I'm not sure the Big 10 has these issues.
air quality in Berkley was very good today. None of LA can make that statement. golf tournament and pro football was played. Now Oregon is a different story.
BearForce2
My understanding is the fires around the Federal Courthouse in Portland, Oregon have been contained and no major smoke is affecting the surrounding areas.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
71Bear
wifeisafurd said:

heartofthebear said:

air quality in Berkley was very good today. None of LA can make that statement. golf tournament and pro football was played. Now Oregon is a different story.

Yep. Eugene is 225. Hopefully, a weather change will bring the number down.
bearsandgiants
If gavin is willing to sign off on dozens of new fracking permits while the state is literally on fire, he certainly wouldn't hesitate to sacrifice a few lives for some football, right?
heartofthebear
wifeisafurd said:

heartofthebear said:

Point is that fires in the west may be a game changer when it comes to the tradition of the Pac-12 following the lead of the Big10. The only real weather related problem in Big 10 country is winter. So the Big 10 has an incentive to play before winter hits. But with global climate change, fall is becoming an increasingly hazardous time to play in the west, due to fires. And, save Utah, Colorado and WSU, winter is not such a big factor for Pac-12 teams. So, it would seem that the Pac-12 has more of an incentive to play later and the Big 10 has more of an incentive to play earlier when it comes to weather issues.

There may be many other factors that tie the Big 10 to the Pac 12, but these days weather is playing a bigger factor than tradition in deciding how conferences roll.
BearForce2
bearsandgiants said:

If gavin is willing to sign off on dozens of new fracking permits while the state is literally on fire, he certainly wouldn't hesitate to sacrifice a few lives for some football, right?
Gavin Newsome also mismanaged funds to allow for proper forest management and doesn't hesitate to ask for federal funds to help fight fires.

The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
sycasey
The current air quality issues will probably have passed by the time any games are to be played (I think a light storm system will be passing through the Pacific NW in the next couple of days, which should help blow out the smoke) . . . but there could also be more fires in the coming month that create more smoke. That part is hard to predict.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.