Oct. 23 Return Date for the Big 10

3,249 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by oskidunker
Bearly Clad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They made it official this morning with the announcement and press conference --live right now on BTN. The decision was reportedly unanimous among the 14 school presidents/chancellors
LMK5
Good for them and great for all CFB fans. As usual, the Pac-12 is on the outside looking in.
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.
upsetof86
LMK5 said:

Good for them and great for all CFB fans. As usual, the Pac-12 is on the outside looking in.

Yep. I agree, sadly predictable ("as usual")
Bearly Clad
I mean it's obviously not ideal, but if all that happens out of the postponed season is the Pac-12 and B10 start 1-2 months late without the rash of delayed games that the ACC and B12 are having then I'd say the outcome is fine (all things considered).

Without a bubble environment like the NBA the NFL and CFB needed quick and reliable testing multiple times a week to play without in-season interruptions. Now that there's a Quidel deal for daily testing and we've seen how the NFL model can work, there's really no reason the Pac-12 shouldn't be able to return to play. I understand the concerns about a potential second wave hitting in the fall, but if that's Newsom's worry then he should really implement a mask mandate. It's time to get out of our own way and safely get back to football
upsetof86
And now, expect some carnage if nothing starts to happen in a week. Including Larry getting trampled.
NVBear78
PAC-12 faces irrelevance if we don't mirror the Big 10, LIKE WE DID WHEN WE ORIGINALLY DELAYED THE SEASON.

If we don't re-start at the same time what do we play for with no Rose Bowl?
bipolarbear
I am very jealous.
Yogi38
https://bearinsider.com/forums/6/topics/97585
71Bear
Bearly Clad said:

I mean it's obviously not ideal, but if all that happens out of the postponed season is the Pac-12 and B10 start 1-2 months late without the rash of delayed games that the ACC and B12 are having then I'd say the outcome is fine (all things considered).

Without a bubble environment like the NBA the NFL and CFB needed quick and reliable testing multiple times a week to play without in-season interruptions. Now that there's a Quidel deal for daily testing and we've seen how the NFL model can work, there's really no reason the Pac-12 shouldn't be able to return to play. I understand the concerns about a potential second wave hitting in the fall, but if that's Newsom's worry then he should really implement a mask mandate. It's time to get out of our own way and safely get back to football
The Governor mandated masks quite some time ago.

71Bear
NVBear78 said:

PAC-12 faces irrelevance if we don't mirror the Big 10, LIKE WE DID WHEN WE ORIGINALLY DELAYED THE SEASON.

There will be a Rose Bowl. It will feature two of the four teams selected for the CFP.
Goobear
71Bear said:

NVBear78 said:

There will be a Rose Bowl. It will feature two of the four teams selected for the CFP.
That would be inconsistent if CA says no to football. So you say there is a chance?
71Bear
Goobear said:

71Bear said:

NVBear78 said:

That would be inconsistent if CA says no to football. So you say there is a chance?
The CFP announced last month that they were moving ahead w/o the B10 and P12. Of course, the B10 will now be part of the equation. Either way, there is no need for the P10 to play (heck, they never send a rep. anyway).....
Bears2thDoc
So........
What will be all of your responses if one player dies of a COVID-19 related vascular problem?
Just curious.

Cheers!
Go Bears!!
71Bear
Bears2thDoc said:

So........
What will be all of your responses if one player dies of a COVID-19 related vascular problem?
Just curious.

Cheers!
Go Bears!!
Based on my reading of some comments here, the response would be:

Next man up.

CalLax
Bears2thDoc said:

So........
Just curious.

Cheers!
Go Bears!!
Not this again.

Society needs to take all reasonable precautions to prevent illness and death - from all causes. Once you do that everyone needs to assess the risk relative to the things we do in life. You know the list - driving a car, flying in an airplane, swimming, smoking and drinking, eating too much, etc. If you feel the risk is too high, don't do it. That doesn't give one veto power over others who find the risk acceptable.

Football has inherent risks of injury and death in the best of times. They can't be eliminated completely. If you adopt the "if we can save just one life" philosophy there will be no football, by anyone, ever again.

I'll pose this question again. Who is more at risk from Covid-19, college athletes who are in great condition and who will have frequent testing and other precautions, or the average college student?
Bears2thDoc
CalLax said:

Bears2thDoc said:

So........
Just curious.

Cheers!
Go Bears!!
Not this again.

I'll pose this question again. Who is more at risk from Covid-19, college athletes who are in great condition and who will have frequent testing and other precautions, or the average college student?
https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-myocarditis-sudden-heart-attack-death-athletes-college-0ddae223-07ee-4a95-acbb-ca18b9e07b31.html

https://www.king5.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/puyallup-high-school-graduate-dies-of-covid-19-complications/281-64c3fcb0-95a7-4a09-9053-81302a81a1a6

KMA!!!

Cheers!!
Go Bears!!!
CalLax
From your link:

"College athletes and to a greater extent professional ones have the benefit of more frequent COVID-19 tests and oversight from doctors who know to look out for signs of myocarditis.
  • But amateur athletes may be largely on their own, even though they too would be at risk from myocarditis and sudden death should they continue to engage in vigorous exercise after a COVID-19 infection."

Once again, who is at greater risk, college athletes who have frequent testing and more medical oversight, or the average college student?

Are you recommending that no one exercise vigorously ever again, because there is a risk of sudden myocarditis death with or without viral infection? 75 deaths a year without Covid caused by vigorous exercise. If we can just save one life...

Golden One
71Bear said:

NVBear78 said:

That's not a real Rose Bowl. That's just a college football playoff game.
Bears2thDoc
CalLax said:

From your link:

Are you recommending that no one exercise vigorously ever again, because there is a risk of sudden myocarditis death with or without viral infection? 75 deaths a year without Covid caused by vigorous exercise. If we can just save one life...

You sir, show you know not of which you speak........
The number one cause of myocarditis is viral infection.
Followed by drug induced and then other underlying health issues.
Exercise does not cause myocarditis.
Exercise can cause a person who already has myocarditis a problem.
Myocarditis is only one type of vascular disease associated with COVID, blood clots are another.
It's easy to say from the couch that "football is a risk"........until it happens to the team and players one fancies....then it becomes, "why didn't anyone do anything to prevent this?"

Cheers!
Go Bears!!!
Chapman_is_Gone
Bears2thDoc said:

So........
Just curious.

Cheers!
Go Bears!!
The Lord works in mysterious ways...
BearForce2
71Bear said:

Bears2thDoc said:

So........
Just curious.

Cheers!
Go Bears!!
Based on my reading of some comments here, the response would be:

Next man up.

Health and Safety matters. Shut down Cal football.

Fall Saturday afternoons can be devoted to volunteering at the Pac-12 civic-engagement task force to address social injustice while we wait for the virus to be completely eliminated from society. Free parking available at the San Francisco P12 office.

https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/96910/replies
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
BearForce2
The rest of us can peacefully protest against social injustice, sheltered in place while the other schools play on.
We can humor ourselves and start fake game threads and take pride knowing we view health and safety seriously unlike the other schools because we believe in science.

The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
71Bear
Golden One said:

71Bear said:

NVBear78 said:

7 of the last 20 Rose Bowl games have not featured either a B10 or P12 team (or both). It is now just another big bowl game. One might say - the bloom is off the rose.
sycasey
CalLax said:

The frequent testing was the issue at the time the season was postponed, but given that it seems possible now, perhaps it can resume.
Big Dog
sycasey said:

CalLax said:

The frequent testing was the issue at the time the season was postponed, but given that it seems possible now, perhaps it can resume.
Frequent testing was just an excuse that the press bought into. But it was clearly just spin: the Broad Institute is processing thousands of tests daily for many east coast colleges. Obviously. that took time to plan and ramp up. Everyone in academia had to know about what other colleges were doing and planning as those colleges were announcing their testing plans all summer.
calumnus
Best case scenario: Pac-12 resumes play soon after the B10 with daily testing to insure player safety. With other football having been played we get great TV ratings. Winner of B10 faces winner of PAC-12 in a game at the Rose Bowl.
Golden One
71Bear said:

Golden One said:

71Bear said:

NVBear78 said:

7 of the last 20 Rose Bowl games have not featured either a B10 or P12 team (or both). It is now just another big bowl game. One might say - the bloom is off the rose.
Unfortunately, you're exactly right. I'm still hopeful (perhaps naively) that someday sanity will return and we'll once again have Pac-12 vs. Big 10 Rose Bowls. Those are the only true Rose Bowl games in my mind.
Golden One
Big Dog said:

sycasey said:

CalLax said:

Frequent testing was just an excuse that the press bought into. But it was clearly just spin: the Broad Institute is processing thousands of tests daily for many east coast colleges. Obviously. that took time to plan and ramp up. Everyone in academia had to know about what other colleges were doing and planning as those colleges were announcing their testing plans all summer.
Unfortunately, the Pac-12 has very poor leadership from the Presidents/Chancellors down to Larry Scott.
LMK5
BearForce2 said:

The rest of us can peacefully protest against social injustice, sheltered in place while the other schools play on.
We can humor ourselves and start fake game threads and take pride knowing we view health and safety seriously unlike the other schools because we believe in science.

Yes, Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, UVA, and Duke are redneck schools that are only interested in football and can barely spell s-c-i-e-n-c-e.
Chabbear
Of course only the revenue sport is being played, the non revenue sports (m/w soccer,women's volleyball, field hockey, mens water polo) are not. Not only are they not being played, no one is pushing for them to play.
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

NVBear78 said:

The idea was Big 10/Pac match up for the asterisk bowl played at the Rose Bowl sometime in 2021. That is not happening. if Pac can get in 8 game before bowls start, it is just the normal bowl system. If not, Pac has a championship game between divisions sometime in 2021. The latter would have a hit for revenues and reputation.
wifeisafurd
LMK5 said:

BearForce2 said:

Yes, Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, UVA, and Duke are redneck schools that are only interested in football and can barely spell s-c-i-e-n-c-e.
Add Michigan, Northwestern, Purdue, etc.
LMK5
wifeisafurd said:

LMK5 said:

BearForce2 said:

Add Michigan, Northwestern, Purdue, etc.
Absolutely. All satellite campuses of Podunk U.
wifeisafurd
Chabbear said:

Of course only the revenue sport is being played, the non revenue sports (m/w soccer,women's volleyball, field hockey, mens water polo) are not. Not only are they not being played, no one is pushing for them to play.
Man, this board is following the way of national politics in terms of people just saying stuff to meet their agenda.

SEC play starts September 17 (non-revenue sports)
ACC started already. (Olympic sports)
Big 12 already playing (I just looked at the fall non-revenue sports on th UT website and assumed it is the same for the conference).
Big 10: "plans for other fall sports, as well as winter sports like basketball and wrestling, will be announced shortly." So I guess they are thinking about them.

This took me 5 minutes on google to find out.

Bears2thDoc
sycasey said:

CalLax said:

I will admit that my knowledge of what is currently in place regarding NCAA rules is a bit slim as communication has been less than normal, so this may not be true. However.....
Very possibly, whatever virus testing is available to student athletes, so might it must be available to general students. That could be a lot of frequent testing.

Cheers!!
Go Bears!!!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.