Story Poster
Cal Football

Bears' Season Opener Still in Limbo

November 10, 2020

After a tumultous week for the program, with the season opener vs. Washington cancelled and a whole position group and more being quarantined and forced to miss practice for the last week, Cal head coach Justin Wilcox and the program and university still await news of possible clearance to play their next scheduled game this weekend in Tempe, Arizona against ASU.

“We have not, so we don’t know,” said Wilcox when asked if the team has clarity on the matter yet. “I was told by the university and our athletic administration that we’d know something by Wednesday. That came from the Public Health office and representatives on campus to Public Health. 

“We’re operating like we’re going to play. We had a really good practice yesterday and we’re looking forward to having a good practice today.”

While the program and Wilcox aren’t in position to divulge who’s impacted by the quarantine, sources confirm that it’s the defensive line, along with some other position players who are currently being held out of practice and team activities.

“We are without the players in quartantine,” said Wilcox. “It’s a position group and more that’s missing. It does impact us but we’re doing the best we can and the players did a great job yesterday.

Does Wilcox have much of a feel for how things look moving forward?

“I’m not in those meetings,” said Wilcox. “They told me there was a chance that we can play. I don’t know why they made the decisions they made. We’re trying to get clarity on that. 

“They told us there was a chance we’re going to play so we’re going to practice and continue to work at it. The only way to look at it is to be optimistic so until they tell us otherwise, that’s what we’re doing.”

Is moving the team off campus to live, play and practice a possibility?

“You’d have to ask the administration,” said Wilcox. “That’s not a decision I’d make. Here’s what I’ll tell you: The football program will do anything, whether it’s practice protocol, meeting protocol -whatever we need to do in order to play. But the decision will remain with the athletic administration and the university. 

“We recognize the significance of the virus. This is not minimizing the virus. What we want to know is how we can be better so these kinds of things don’t happen. Obviously we don’t want to spread it to the community. We want to be good neighbors and members of the community. We’re just looking for some feedback on how to do it better.

“They told us there was a chance we’re going to play so we’re going to practice and continue to work at it. The only way to look at it is to be optimistic so until they tell us otherwise, that’s what we’re doing.”
- Cal head coach Justin Wilcox

“There are some guys in quarantine who are not sure why they’re in quarantine and we’re trying to get them some answers on that. But as far as the football program is concerned, whatever we can do to help mitigate the spread of the virus and give us a chance to play, we’re all for it.”

The quarantined players are very limited in what they can do right now to be prepared to play - challenge they and the team are addressing as best as possible under the circumstances.

“They’re inside,” said Wilcox. “They have an opportunity once a day to do some conditioning work in a supervised manner with nobody (else) around, but it’s limited.”

Will they be ready to play after missing much of two weeks leading up to the game if they’re allowed to take the field?

“The first thing would be for them to be cleared by our medical team to play,” noted Wilcox. “Their conditioning would be taken into account. The more practices, the better. All those guys want to practice right now. They’d like to be with us. They’re just not able to be. They’re trying to do their best to keep up their conditioning the best they can if we can get information that leads to them being back with us.

“We’ll cross that bridge when we get to it but I think all those guys will want to play given that option.”

Wilcox was asked if he’s confident that his players have been vigilent about taking the precautions they need to take when not under direct supervision away from the field.

“The guys have been given guidelines,” said Wilcox. “At the facility, there’s a process that they follow -where they sit in meetings, how they get their ankles taped, the way we walk out to practice, where their pads are. So they follow those guidelines and they’re constantly being reminded -stay six feet apart, wash your hands- things that we all hear all the time.

“There are some guys in quarantine who are not sure why they’re in quarantine and we’re trying to get them some answers on that. But as far as the football program is concerned, whatever we can do to help mitigate the spread of the virus and give us a chance to play, we’re all for it.”
- Wilcox

“We’re not in a bubble. I think, based on the data so far, they’ve done a really good job off the field. They still have to eat. I think everybody knows, unless you’re living in a bubble, there’s risk when you walk outside or when you go to a grocery store. Guys gotta get something to eat sometimes and they’ve got to make good decisions off the field to mitigate that risk.

“I don’t know if there’s a way to eliminate risk. I don’t know how we do that in this climate right now, if anybody can. So we’ll do the best to make make good decisions to mitigate that risk. There’s guys in practice, especially the veteran guys -not only coaches but players- pleading with the other players to do things right off the field so they have a chance to play.

“I think they’re doing the best they can. Would I say that nobody’s gotten within six feet of someone else outside the building? I don’t know if anybody in our society can say that right now.”

Turning to their upcoming opponent, Wilcox and staff have a healthy respect for the Sun Devils and what they bring to the field.

“Coming into the season, you looked at their roster and the guys they had coming back -really impressive group, starting with the quarterback, who we know well,” said Wilcox, referring to former Cal QB recruit Jayden Daniels. “He’s a threat throwing the ball. He’s a threat running the ball. They have a good offensive line. They ran it really well last week. The receivers block down the field, which is something you see on tape.

“They’ve got some more variations in their offense. Shifts and motions and personnel groupings, different formations. They’re hard to defend in that way.

“Defensively, really well-coached unit. They’ve got some good players who give you some different looks and different pressures. 

“I think just on paper, seeing who they’ve got coming back, they’re every bit as good, if not better, than people would’ve thought.”

Back to the question of how the team is navigating the logistical challenges of missing a whole position group and more and working around it, Wilcox is satisfied that the team is doing the best it can move forward productively.

“I think they’ve done a great job,” said Wilcox. “When you go to meetings and practice, it doesn’t feel different other than there’s a bunch of guys missing. They’re a resilient bunch of guys. They really want to play and if there’s a chance we can play, they’ve brought that energy to meetings and to practice. I’m proud of them for that and we’d expect that to continue.

“There’s certain drills that we don’t do. We work around it the best we can. When you’re missing a position group, it’s obvious.”

Wilcox was asked about feedback from player families and noted that there are multiple levels of concerned for all involved.

“They have a lot of questions,” said Wilcox. “They see the news and I think they’ve got concerns for their sons and loved ones, which is obvious. 

“The players are disapointed that they can’t play. There is some frustration, wanting to know how do we give ourselves the best chance? I would say we’re all looking for similar answers -coaches, the entire program is looking for an answer on how do we move forward? We’re hoping to get those. We expect that answer tomorrow. We don’t make the decision and obviously, we shouldn’t. I’m relying on information that’s given to me by our athletic department which is given by the University Public Health representatives and the City of Berkeley Public Health.

“The question: Why can’t we play when other teams are playing, given our specific circumstance in terms of the postive test. I think we all know there’s a high number of positive tests (in the country) and a risk for a spread to our community. Everyone’s on board with that. What we’re having a hard time understanding is the process that led us to this point. So when you look at those other teams, you can’t help but be frustrated and a bit angry and try to figure out why. Honestly, still trying to figure that out.
- Wilcox

“We really just look forward to information, not only about the game but about contract tracing moving forward so we can be better about it.”

What’s their reaction to the strict restrictions after noting that several other teams in the league were able to play with a higher level of positive covid tests impacting those programs.

“Probably what you’d imagine,” said Wilcox. “The question: Why can’t we play when other teams are playing, given our specific circumstance in terms of the postive test. I think we all know there’s a high number of positive tests (in the country) and a risk for a spread to our community. Everyone’s on board with that. What we’re having a hard time understanding is the process that led us to this point. So when you look at those other teams, you can’t help but be frustrated and a bit angry and try to figure out why. Honestly, still trying to figure that out.

“We hope that everybody gets a chance to play. First, we want everybody to be safe. I know it’s a challenge throughout the country, people dealing with this. The inconsistencies with contract tracing -why that’s happening and how we can do it better to give us a chance to play. I can’t tell you that I sat there and it felt great and none of our players could either and I don’t blame them one bit (after the verdict went down about quarantine and the game cancellation last week).

“We’re really looking forward to hearing how we can do it better, what we need to do differently. We’re looking forward to telling our quarantined players why they’re in quarantine.”

If the game proceeds as scheduled, the Bears will take on ASU at 7:30 pm in Tempe on Saturday. Stay tuned for more details this week.

Other stories:

Friday Night Lights: Nov. 6 2020

Wilcox Elaborates on Cancellation

Discussion from...

Bears' Season Opener Still in Limbo

11,643 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by GoBears89
75bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's crazy that it's 1 week later and nobody can give Wilcox answers.
BearSD
Find a place to relocate the football team for the rest of the season, a place where they can live, train, and practice.

Davis, Moraga, Sacramento, wherever. The administration needs to give the green light to the team and get it done.

And, if necessary, do the same for both basketball teams and any other varsity sports.

Rushinbear
I don't have a good feeling about this and I'm not talking just about the ASU game.
Golden One
The current situation is just nuts. It's the result of a radical City of Berkeley Health Department and a completely inept Cal administration. A complete circle jerk.

By now, the university should have taken the initiative to relocate the entire team and coaching staff to an alternate venue for the duration of the football season. Given the current situation, it's increasingly apparent that we will not play a single game this season. What a disappointment.
LMK5
You have to really feel bad for the players. They've got a lot riding on this. They've put in a lot of work for a long time and earned a spot on a PAC-12 team. But the hardest part must be for them to see other teams playing on Saturdays. How did they feel when they saw Trevor Lawrence on the sidelines against Notre Dame? Are the Cal freshmen who had multiple offers wondering if they made a mistake?
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.
Rushinbear
LMK5 said:

You have to really feel bad for the players. They've got a lot riding on this. They've put in a lot of work for a long time and earned a spot on a PAC-12 team. But the hardest part must be for them to see other teams playing on Saturdays. How did they feel when they saw Trevor Lawrence on the sidelines against Notre Dame? Are the Cal freshmen who had multiple offers wondering if they made a mistake?
Trevor Lawrence's appearance on the sidelines spoke volumes.
smh
covid.. baad
XXXBEAR
Grrrrr

Wilcox is handling things well by balancing the interests of the program with the health of the players.

But with the entire season at stake, this has to be resolved yesterday....
okaydo

TandemBear
So it appears that no one is seeing the Covid numbers going through the roof right now? Counties hitting the red tier and there seems to be no stopping this winter wave. Set the record for daily US infections two days in a row. Looks like this is EXACTLY what was predicted.

I know the players want to play. Coaches & schools want to do their jobs and field teams. Networks want to show games. Fans desperately want to watch sports. But perhaps all we're really learning here is that reversing the season cancellation decision was probably in error. I know this is a very unpopular view here, but I just don't see how we're supposed to fight a tidal wave of infections. It is what it is.

And Covid-19 sure didn't disappear on November 4, now did it!

hanky1
This is stupid sh***. Burn it to the ground. All of it.
GoCal80
I'm confused. This makes it sound like the game is on:

https://calbears.com/news/2020/11/10/cal-set-for-matchup-at-arizona-state.aspx

Has it been decided or not?
LMK5
TandemBear said:

So it appears that no one is seeing the Covid numbers going through the roof right now? Counties hitting the red tier and there seems to be no stopping this winter wave. Set the record for daily US infections two days in a row. Looks like this is EXACTLY what was predicted.

I know the players want to play. Coaches & schools want to do their jobs and field teams. Networks want to show games. Fans desperately want to watch sports. But perhaps all we're really learning here is that reversing the season cancellation decision was probably in error. I know this is a very unpopular view here, but I just don't see how we're supposed to fight a tidal wave of infections. It is what it is.

What you're saying does make sense, but people do go to work and live fairly normally. The freeways down here in OC are, I would say, 80% of what they were pre-Covid. More to the point, the vast majority of FBS teams have been playing games, many with fans. There is no risk-free way of doing anything right now but there are ways of managing the risk. Plenty of examples everywhere you look. It's just a shame that Cal has to bear the burden of a no-win policy and other teams don't.
sirnet
Spose many on BCC are not fond of Cal Football....or any Cal athletics?
Bobodeluxe
Luckily, half the defensive line transferred.

There is that.
Goobear
Interesting article below about testing after exposure to someone who is positive - AAMC.org

But don't get tested right away.

That's because even highly sensitive PCR tests can come back negative if you're tested right after exposure, before the virus has built up to detectable levels, according to a study co-authored by Lauren Kucirka, MD, PhD, an epidemiologist and OB-GYN resident at Johns Hopkins Hospital. "Say you had lunch with a friend who was positive. Day one is the day after you had that lunch," Kucirka says. "What we found was that if you are tested in the days immediately after exposure, the false negative rate is anywhere from 50% to 100%." So just because you've tested negative doesn't mean you're not harboring the virus. The average onset of symptoms is five days post-exposure, and your peak infectiousness is two days before and one day after symptom onset, according to a study published in Nature Medicine.
BearlyCareAnymore
LMK5 said:

TandemBear said:

What you're saying does make sense, but people do go to work and live fairly normally. The freeways down here in OC are, I would say, 80% of what they were pre-Covid. More to the point, the vast majority of FBS teams have been playing games, many with fans. There is no risk-free way of doing anything right now but there are ways of managing the risk. Plenty of examples everywhere you look. It's just a shame that Cal has to be the example of a no-win policy and other teams don't.
1. People seem to assume we can just relocate the team outside Berkeley and be okay. I don't think that is a safe assumption.

2. I am not going to pretend to know whether from a risk standpoint we should be playing football right now. What I am going to say is that the decision to go forward with games with the caveat that if one player gets Covid we don't play for two weeks is a horrible one. Somebody was going to get it. If one player getting it means you can't play, you were not going to be able to play. Don't go down that path. I'd be fine if we decided not to play in the first place, but this circumstance is not fair to the players or to our opponents.

3. I do feel that Berkeley is engaging in risk elimination vs. risk mitigation. Yes, it CAN take two weeks for someone to test positive or exhibit symptoms. But every day that goes by the risk goes down significantly. It is pretty rare that people don't test positive until two weeks later. If there have been no further positive tests a week later the risks are pretty low.
okaydo
LMK5
OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

TandemBear said:

What you're saying does make sense, but people do go to work and live fairly normally. The freeways down here in OC are, I would say, 80% of what they were pre-Covid. More to the point, the vast majority of FBS teams have been playing games, many with fans. There is no risk-free way of doing anything right now but there are ways of managing the risk. Plenty of examples everywhere you look. It's just a shame that Cal has to be the example of a no-win policy and other teams don't.
1. People seem to assume we can just relocate the team outside Berkeley and be okay. I don't think that is a safe assumption.

2. I am not going to pretend to know whether from a risk standpoint we should be playing football right now. What I am going to say is that the decision to go forward with games with the caveat that if one player gets Covid we don't play for two weeks is a horrible one. Somebody was going to get it. If one player getting it means you can't play, you were not going to be able to play. Don't go down that path. I'd be fine if we decided not to play in the first place, but this circumstance is not fair to the players or to our opponents.

3. I do feel that Berkeley is engaging in risk elimination vs. risk mitigation. Yes, it CAN take two weeks for someone to test positive or exhibit symptoms. But every day that goes by the risk goes down significantly. It is pretty rare that people don't test positive until two weeks later. If there have been no further positive tests a week later the risks are pretty low.
Totally agree. If you're putting Cal in the position where they have to be perfect in order to play, then it's tantamount to saying "we'll give you an impossible standard to meet, but we're saying you can play." Cal Athletics got snookered a bit, especially if they didn't quite understand what would happen in the case of a single positive test.
MilleniaBear
Have the OL play DT and add more linebackers. Play ball!
72CalBear
MilleniaBear said:

Simple solution maybe but doesn't take care of the real problem the team faces with the city of Berkeley. In the short term, many OL no doubt played DL in high school, but to be able to adequately perform NOW?
TandemBear
OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

TandemBear said:

I totally agree with #2. Seems like a VERY high standard that would be almost impossible to meet.

That said, I understand the Tour de France was held with the caveat that if just two members of a team or their staff contracted Covid, the ENTIRE team would be forced to abandon. I thought there's no way this rule wouldn't wipe out half the Tour's teams. Turns out not a single team was DQ'd as a result of this rule. I was really surprised.

I just saw today's "wave graph" and it's dwarfing the July spike considerably. I really don't know how teams who are playing will avoid getting hit hard by this...
Alkiadt
TandemBear said:

OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

TandemBear said:

I totally agree with #2. Seems like a VERY high standard that would be almost impossible to meet.

That said, I understand the Tour de France was held with the caveat that if just two members of a team or their staff contracted Covid, the ENTIRE team would be forced to abandon. I thought there's no way this rule wouldn't wipe out half the Tour's teams. Turns out not a single team was DQ'd as a result of this rule. I was really surprised.

I just saw today's "wave graph" and it's dwarfing the July spike considerably. I really don't know how teams who are playing will avoid getting hit hard by this...
The Tour de France is about as corrupt as a sporting event can be. You really think those guys are going to admit to a positive test, or wouldn't circumvent the test with their history of doping?
LOL
TandemBear
Indeed. Friend of mine was racing in Europe in the mid '90's and said, "It isn't a few riders, it isn't a lot of riders, it's EVERYONE doping!" And I had been racing and pretty aware of the situation and this statement still took me aback. That said, pretty hard to "fake" being well when you're running a 103 fever, feel like **** and have to race 120 miles per day for about three weeks! Then again, them drugs is good!!!!
Alkiadt
TandemBear said:

Indeed. Friend of mine was racing in Europe in the mid '90's and said, "It isn't a few riders, it isn't a lot of riders, it's EVERYONE!" And I had been racing and pretty aware of the situation and this statement still took me aback. That said, pretty hard to "fake" being well when you're running a 103 fever, feel like **** and have to race 120 miles per day for about three weeks! Then again, them drugs is good!!!!
The vast majority of "positive" tests don't even translate to symptoms.
Name a young athlete that is hospitalized...or dead. Quarantined athletes are going to their hotel rooms to play video games.
Of course you can name a handful of younger deaths nationally, but there does always seem to be some "compromised health" in those cases. The flu kills more young people. And I'm not saying that's ok, but at some point we all have to realize that this **** is a joke.

Chapman_is_Gone

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit quaalude suppositories
TandemBear
Alkiadt said:

TandemBear said:

Indeed. Friend of mine was racing in Europe in the mid '90's and said, "It isn't a few riders, it isn't a lot of riders, it's EVERYONE!" And I had been racing and pretty aware of the situation and this statement still took me aback. That said, pretty hard to "fake" being well when you're running a 103 fever, feel like **** and have to race 120 miles per day for about three weeks! Then again, them drugs is good!!!!
The vast majority of "positive" tests don't even translate to symptoms.
Name a young athlete that is hospitalized...or dead. Quarantined athletes are going to their hotel rooms to play video games.
Of course you can name a handful of younger deaths nationally, but there does always seem to be some "compromised health" in those cases. The flu kills more young people. And I'm not saying that's ok, but at some point we all have to realize that this **** is a joke.

Sorry, you lost me on "this *** is a joke." ICU's are once again overflowing. Some joke there. Not the flu. Not a "minor inconvenience." Again, hospitals are reaching capacity worldwide, and other countries are taking drastic measures. Unless you're an infectious disease Nobel Laureate or world-leading epidemiologist, I'm gonna call BS.

I simply do not understand this denial of reality. Do you really think emerging infectious diseases are a hoax? It appears so, so I really have nothing else to say.

Rushinbear
MilleniaBear said:

Make all the other DLs OLs. Then, just play those guys on D.
Klindergoff
Earlier today, Sirmon said that converting OL to DL isn't going to happen.
oskidunker
Who is Sirmon?
Go Bears!
Klindergoff
Cal's Defensive Coordinator.

https://calbears.com/staff-directory/peter-sirmon/1907
Rushinbear
Klindergoff said:

No, I said put the rest of the DLs on the roster as OLs. Then, just say you're playing OLs on the DL.
Klindergoff
I wonder if the City of Berkeley would be smart enough to catch that. At this point in time, any solution is a better solution than waiting around for the City of Berkeley to change its stance.
KoreAmBear
Rushinbear said:

Klindergoff said:

No, I said put the rest of the DLs on the roster as OLs. Then, just say you're playing OLs on the DL.
Unit2Sucks
Rushinbear said:

Klindergoff said:

I would assume that the university has enough controls in place to prevent obvious fraud like you are advocating. I am not opposed in all cases to the employment of situational ethics, but the injustice of complying with a valid public health order hardly seems like the type of injustice which would justify this sort of fraud.

I guess if Rudy G schedules a press conference at the 4 Seasons Salon on University we will know who put him up to it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.