COVID and Redshirting

951 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 71Bear
MinnieSteve
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any guess as to what allowances the NCAA, in its infinite wisdom, will make to schools, individuals with respect to to COVID. Obviously not all schools/individuals were affected equally by this virus.
Eastern Oregon Bear
I may be completely off the mark, but I thought I heard that the NCAA is granting everyone an extra year of eligibility so basically this year doesn't count. Or maybe I just read someone proposing that.
Strykur
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

I may be completely off the mark, but I thought I heard that the NCAA is granting everyone an extra year of eligibility so basically this year doesn't count. Or maybe I just read someone proposing that.

Yeah anyone who wants to come back can come back.
71Bear
Strykur said:

Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Yeah anyone who wants to come back can come back.
However, there are significant caveats. The primary one being that players who otherwise would have exhausted their eligibility this season are not guaranteed a scholarship for next year if they choose to return.

Also, in 2021, the 85 scholie limit will be increased by the number of guys who return would otherwise would have exhausted their eligibility. However, the 85 scholie limit will revert back to 85 in 2022. If a high number of 2021 non-seniors choose to exercise the additional year clause, it will put a lot of pressure on coaches to figure out how to shoehorn all the returnees and 2021 freshmen and 2022 freshmen into the "85 box".
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.