Las Vegas Bowl officially canceled for 2020

7 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearSD
BearSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30438707/las-vegas-bowl-canceled-due-coronavirus-pandemic
Quote:

The Las Vegas Bowl became the latest postseason bowl game to be canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic, ESPN Events announced Wednesday.
The Las Vegas Bowl, which was scheduled to match a Pac-12 team against an SEC opponent, was slated to be played for the first time at Allegiant Stadium, the home of the NFL's Las Vegas Raiders.
Quote:

The Las Vegas Bowl is the 10th bowl game canceled because of the pandemic; the Bahamas, Celebration, Fenway, Hawaii, Holiday, Motor City, Pinstripe, Redbox and Sun bowls are the others.
The Pac-12 has now lost four bowl games with which it had tie-ins; the Holiday, Redbox and Sun are the others.
smh
nox-nix
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
wifeisafurd
I can't see the planned debut of the LA Bowl happening either.
72CalBear
2005 game vs BYU was a classic and great fun - I will never forget the game itself (Cal 35-28) where Marshawn and Desean basically took over the scoring and then staying at the Hard Rock Hotel, with the team there. There was an after game dance/party where a group of Cal alumni played and we got to chat with the players. My son did not return until 5 am and I am not sure what he got up to. Poor BYU - all the beer vendors came running over to the Bear side of the field at halftime - no sales over there!
MSaviolives
72CalBear said:

2005 game vs BYU was a classic and great fun - I will never forget the game itself (Cal 35-28) where Marshawn and Desean basically took over the scoring and then staying at the Hard Rock Hotel, with the team there. There was an after game dance/party where a group of Cal alumni played and we got to chat with the players. My son did not return until 5 am and I am not sure what he got up to. Poor BYU - all the beer vendors came running over to the Bear side of the field at halftime - no sales over there!
I had a great time at that game with my dad and my son. There were long lines for beer on the Cal side, so I went over to the BYU side to get mine--no line. That was a Steve Levy game, and as you say Marshawn and Desean dominated.

On the Southwest flight home the next day, a flight attendant handed a beer to a guy, who spontaneously broke into the Drinking Song, and my dad joined in with such gusto, along with what seemed half the passengers. The flight attendants loved it. Good times.
BearSD
Interesting, I guess this is a "replacement" for the Pac-12 vs. SEC Las Vegas Bowl...
Quote:

Brett McMurphy

Armed Forces Bowl, which was originally scheduled b/w Big 12 & AAC, instead did a 1-year agreement w/Pac-12 & SEC. Pac-12 now up to 5 bowl berths (including New Year's 6 bowls)

3:06 PM - Dec 3, 2020 TweetDeck

cal83dls79
More important, what is up with the Chez Itz Bowl?
FloriDreaming
I can't imagine any bowls except the big ones continuing this year. Even those are going to be really iffy. It's one thing to cobble together a season when you know a certain number of games will not be played, but betting all your eggs on one game with all the issues teams are having week after week, just bad business.
YamhillBear
Being that most of the bowls are owned by ESPN (I think), I would've thought that they'd still get played. ESPN just wants the programming, doesn't matter to them much about empty stadiums.

Or maybe they get to use those stadiums only by giving the stadium owners the attendance money, which doesn't work with restricted attendance?
BearSD
My guess is that not all bowls operated by ESPN have the same financial arrangements. Some of the lower-cost bowls might be entirely financed by ESPN.

Others, maybe including Las Vegas, have costs that the local bowl committee has to bear, and as you mention they need ticket and sponsor revenue to pay those costs, which in Vegas probably include a hefty fee for renting the Raiders' stadium.

Vegas hotel operators might be happy to contribute to those costs in a normal year, but not now when they'd get no tourists/gamblers at the hotels.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.