Story Poster
Photo by Kelly Cox USA Today

Bears Turn Defensive, Beat Oregon for First Win

December 5, 2020

Winless no more.

The Cal defense did enough in the second half to make up for a couple of ghastly mistakes in the first and the Bears held on for a 21-17 victory over Oregon Saturday at Memorial Stadium. 

After starting this abbreviated seasons with three distressing losses, Cal (1-3) has a chance to finish the season with a .500 record. Next week they visit Washington State and will have another game scheduled for the following week against an as yet undetermined opponent.

To continue reading, you must be a Bear Insider Premium subscriber.
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial
Discussion from...

Bears Turn Defensive, Beat Oregon for First Win

3,880 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by burritos
annarborbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We controlled the ball for 36 minutes and won the TO battle 2-0. Despite the various other issues, I think that is pretty much the winning formula Wilcox has in mind.
HoopDreams

dimitrig
annarborbear said:

We controlled the ball for 36 minutes and won the TO battle 2-0. Despite the various other issues, I think that is pretty much the winning formula Wilcox has in mind.

I'm okay with that, but what is up with the QB play overall? Garbers has been disappointing

72CalBear
dimitrig said:

annarborbear said:

I'm okay with that, but what is up with the QB play overall? Garbers has been disappointing

What? He led the team to it's first victory? Hung in and fought. Was efficient running the offense and didn't actually call the plays that did in fact, lead to those 3 and outs? Hoping he shows the same grit and leadership against the Cougars!!
dmh65
I didn't expect Cal to win, and had thoughts of doom on Oregon's last drive... So glad that they got that turnover to win the game. I think it's a really big deal to not go to 0-4, but instead have a win against Oregon. Both for recruiting, perception of the program, and for the players and coaches.
I was surprised about them not going for the field goal - 7 point lead is certainly better than 4, and if it is missed, you are still relying on the same D that you are counting on if you don't get the first. So, what was more likely at that point, a first down or the field goal? Maybe the thinking is that a first down wins the game while a field goal only has a benefit if Oregon scores a touchdown - forcing them to either get the 2 point or win in OT.
burritos
HoopDreams said:

Was Deng MVP?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.