Bears vs Beavers Game Thread (3.0)

10,297 Views | 142 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Big C
Bisonbob
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can't understand that we have not double teamed the players in the paint. No real outside threat, and they have no resistance from the undersized Cal team.
BTW I hope Brown is not the starting point guard next year. Other than being quick there is not much there. Another poor undersized shooter! I'm sure he is a nice teammate but so was I.
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
HoopDreams
Painful
NYCGOBEARS
That'll help me to sleep well.
NathanAllen
Staff
Fitting end to an ugly-ass game. Yuck.
westcoast101
Awful clock management. Awful late game offense. This season can't end soon enough.
HoopDreams
Osu 0-10 from 3

Cal 2-17 from 3
upsetof86
bearister said:

Lmao
Big C
Big C said:

Who was that guy on the Pac 12 Network who just picked us for the upset? Hope he nailed it...

Oh, it was Matt Muehlebach. NorCal guy, right? (No, I'm thinking of another U of A guard, from Cloverdale.)
Big C
HoopDreams said:

Osu 0-10 from 3

Cal 2-17 from 3

Does that set some modern day record for game futility? Maybe in the Pac 12?
Big C
Bisonbob said:

Can't understand that we have not double teamed the players in the paint. No real outside threat, and they have no resistance from the undersized Cal team.
BTW I hope Brown is not the starting point guard next year. Other than being quick there is not much there. Another poor undersized shooter! I'm sure he is a nice teammate but so was I.

The problem at point is, who do you go with? There's Brown, Hyder and Foreman. Each of them flawed...
oskidunker
A zone might have been an option
Go Bears!
calumnus
oskidunker said:

A zone might have been an option

Sure seems like it
Big C

Bottom line with this team: One good player, one pretty decent player, ten marginal players (GA is in that last category for his wild inconsistency.) Can't win much with that, unless the coaching is EXCEPTIONAL, which ours is not.
BearlyCareAnymore
bearister said:

"I have no idea who was wearing the suit that day, but whoever it was set back Oski a generation with a single toss. The cake missed Mama Payton and landed on Gary's father and his brother, a minister. All hell broke loose - the Cal section went wild. So did the Paytons. Embarrassed Cal officials offered towels, but the Paytons were having none of it. They wanted Oski's blood."

THE CAKE INCIDENT

http://tightwad-hill.blogspot.com/2007/02/cake-incident.html
Not how it happened. I literally had a front row (okay, second row) seat for this. He didn't just bring out a cake and throw it at the Paytons.

The cheerleaders used to sit front row of the rooting section. It was somebody's birthday. The cheerleaders brought Oski out holding the cake and sang happy birthday. And then they just kind of left and Oski was left holding the cake. He was like five feet away from me. No one was paying attention to him yet. He looked at those of us in the front and motioned like "what am I supposed to do with this?". After a minute, the guy next to me says "Hey Oski! Over there!" and points to the OSU section. Oski motions like "what?". And the guy laughs and says over there again. Oski starts hamming it up takes a few steps,turns around, points at the OSU section and motions "there?" And now more of us join in and start pointing and yelling yeah, yeah. Oski hams it up more and most of the rooting section starts to see what he is doing and egging him on. Oski starts spinning around like a discuss thrower and many people are yelling, and then he heaves it and everybody kind of stopped dead out of disbelief that he actually did it. He wasn't aiming for anyone in particular.

When he got off suspension he came out and the guy that started the thing yelled "Hi Oski" waiving with a sheepish grin, and Oski did a step back, cover the nose, point at the guy as if to say "YOU!"
Big C

One thing about this game: We were COMPETITIVE! That cannot be denied.
bearister
Big C said:

Big C said:

Who was that guy on the Pac 12 Network who just picked us for the upset? Hope he nailed it...

Oh, it was Matt Muehlebach. NorCal guy, right? (No, I'm thinking of another U of A guard, from Cloverdale.)

February Alum of the Month - Bishop O'Dowd High School

https://www.bishopodowd.org/alum-of-the-month-february-2019/
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
calalum81
No, you're right. Matt M went to BOD. But not to be confused with Craig McMillan who was the UoA guard from Cloverdale.
Big C

I will say one more thing before I fall back into a stupor: I see this Beaver player, Roman Silva, is listed as a senior. Never heard of his sorry azz before tonight. What does that tell you about the awesome potential of Lars "The Big German" "Thiemannator" Thiemann?
Big C
calalum81 said:

No, you're right. Matt M went to BOD. But not to be confused with Craig McMillan who was the UoA guard from Cloverdale.
Oh crap, you're right, he went to O'Dowd, that's what it was. And yes, I was thinking of Craig McMillan from Cloverdale. I wonder if any of us might be on that list of O'Dowd Alums of the Month. (Not me, I didn't go there. Saw them play a few great games under the late Mike Phelps though.)

All right, back to my stupor...
stu
Big C said:

One thing about this game: We were COMPETITIVE! That cannot be denied.
I'm glad someone else posted this. I was tempted.
calumnus
Big C said:

I will say one more thing before I fall back into a stupor: I see this Beaver player, Roman Silva, is listed as a senior. Never heard of his sorry azz before tonight. What does that tell you about the awesome potential of Lars "The Big German" "Thiemannator" Thiemann?

I'm not sure why he is a senior. He was CIF 3AA POY in 2016 at Diamond Ranch HS in Pomona averaging 18.6 points 10.8 rebounds and 2.8 blocks with a 4.5 gpa. He was a 3 star recruit and probably didn't like his offers so he did a post graduate year at a prep school (probably to fill out and catch up with his body and draw more D1 attention) in 2017-18 where he averaged 25.1 points 15.3 rebounds and 2.5 blocks. Then he did one year JC at San Bernardino Valley College averaging 16.1 7.8 rebounds and 2.0 blocks and was named conference POY. He went to OSU with 3 years to play 2 since he was an automatic qualifier out of high school. Seems like it should have been 4 years to play 3, like Aaron Rodgers at Cal. He came off the bench last year. With the extra year of eligibility due to COVID-19 he probably returns next year or maybe grad transfers?
Big C
calumnus said:

Big C said:

I'm not sure why he is a senior. He was CIF 3AA POY in 2016 at Diamond Ranch HS in Pomona averaging 18.6 points 10.8 rebounds and 2.8 blocks with a 4.5 gpa. He was a 3 star recruit and probably didn't like his offers so he did a post graduate year at a prep school (probably to fill out and catch up with his body and draw more D1 attention) in 2017-18 where he averaged 25.1 points 15.3 rebounds and 2.5 blocks. Then he did one year JC at San Bernardino Valley College averaging 16.1 7.8 rebounds and 2.0 blocks and was named conference POY. He went to OSU with 3 years to play 2 since he was an automatic qualifier out of high school. Seems like it should have been 4 years to play 3, like Aaron Rodgers at Cal. He came off the bench last year. With the extra year of eligibility due to COVID-19 he probably returns next year or maybe grad transfers?

Anyway, my point is: If this big galoot Silva can do it, maybe if Lars Thiemann keeps his nose to the grindstone, he could still become a decent player. There are tons of big men who blossom late and, in their first or second year in college, you would never have expected it.

I'm still looking for some hope to latch onto, for next season.
drizzlybear
bearister said:

oskidunker said:

Big C said:

" ... and Matt Bradley: Is this going to be his final weekend in Berkeley?"

WTH?!?
Hopefully if they know something they will tell us. Or maybe they think he is a senior. Nothing would surprise me.

Well, if he has any chance of getting drafted, learn the lesson of Ivan Rabb....but I think Matt's game needs 3 more inches of height for the NBA.

If Bradley were 3 inches taller/longer he'd already be in the nba.

Also, better to learn the much harder lesson of the countless guys who left college too soon, than the occasional guy who might've left too late.
drizzlybear
Big C said:

That shot Bradley just got rejected by a taller guard: That's why there's no way he's an NBA 1st round pick, so they ought to stop talking about it.

I agree that Bradley probably would not be a first-round pick, and I expect him to return next season. But let's not make too much out of one play. He scored 20 points on 11 shots against the guy who blocked his shot once. If tonight's matchup (against OSU's best defender, just as he faces every team's best defender, every night, without any other strong offensive threats to draw defensive attention away from him) is in any way indicative of Bradley's nba prospects, then he'll be an nba all-star.
drizzlybear
Giving up offensive rebounds in H2 really hurt.

This team has a propensity for bad fouls, especially Joel Brown, and that hurt tonight, too.

Too many missed open perimeter shots. I feel like the team is not well-conditioned, and it's showing up mostly in poor perimeter shooting.

Foreman is looking better overall (other than physically challenged on defense), but still has too much hero impulse.

Hyder made some decent plays, and one terrific play.
Big C
drizzlybear said:

Big C said:

That shot Bradley just got rejected by a taller guard: That's why there's no way he's an NBA 1st round pick, so they ought to stop talking about it.

I agree that Bradley probably would not be a first-round pick, and I expect him to return next season. But let's not make too much out of one play. He scored 20 points on 11 shots against the guy who blocked his shot once. If tonight's matchup (against OSU's best defender, just as he faces every team's best defender, every night, without any other strong offensive threats to draw defensive attention away from him) is in any way indicative of Bradley's nba prospects, then he'll be an nba all-star.

I wish Matt Bradley all the future success in the world: Next season at Cal, followed by the NBA or whatever he wants to do!
drizzlybear
Big C said:

drizzlybear said:

Big C said:

I wish Matt Bradley all the future success in the world: Next season at Cal, followed by the NBA or whatever he wants to do!

+1
oskidunker
I dont think I can watch any more this year. I think Fox must be working the team too much since no one can make a shot late in the year.
Go Bears!
bearchamp
Two points: Bradley got his shot blocked by a guy who won't make the league, and Thiemann has improved a ton, particularly on defense. He is starting to anticipate the play and is, thus, avoiding screens and being late to the boards. Lots of improvement to come.
Big C
bearchamp said:

Two points: Bradley got his shot blocked by a guy who won't make the league, and Thiemann has improved a ton, particularly on defense. He is starting to anticipate the play and is, thus, avoiding screens and being late to the boards. Lots of improvement to come.

Yes, I actually think one of our best chances to be decent next season is Thiemann taking that next step. Partly because it's not at all uncommon for a big to improve in his 3rd season... and partly because his is a huge position of need for us. Now, if one of the PGs could do that, too...
Alkiadt
Big C said:

bearchamp said:

Yes, I actually think one of our best chances to be decent next season is Thiemann taking that next step. Partly because it's not at all uncommon for a big to improve in his 3rd season... and partly because his is a huge position of need for us. Now, if one of the PGs could do that, too...
Thiemann has the worst hands of any Cal center I have watched. And I have been watching since the early 60's.
He can't catch, or hold on to anything.
HoopDreams
this team is just so frustratingly close to beat the bottom half of the conference on a regular basis, and doing so would mean Cal would be in the top half of the conference (although not top 4)

I keep thinking that we just need players to make a play, but it's not happening, except for Bradley and Kelly.

Brown had several chances to be that guy at the end of games, but over penetrated or been out of control, and turned the ball over multiple times. That is a disaster in crunch time. Your point guard is suppose to be your most reliable player with the ball, and is supported to settle everyone else down when things get frantic

We've had countless open looks from 3, from our 'shooters' which I'm saying is Foreman, Betley, Grant (tier 1) and Hyder, Celestine (tier 2) and 2K and Bowser (tier 3).

I'm not including Bradley (tier 1) above, because he's clutch.

How many times do we hear an opposing team's bench player "hitting his first 3", or 'hitting only his second three and a 26% 3 point shooter?

How many times has the ball just rolled off (Celestine) or a 14 foot open jumper hitting front rim (Grant, and everyone else who shot it there vs UW)

Collectively it feels to me like confidence. Besides Bradley and Kelly, and maybe Celestine, our confidence seems to be wavering. Betley's confidence is completely shot. You can not explain his poor shooting as only better defenders. He's getting plenty of open looks. The result of players losing confidence is playing tentative, not wanting to take the big shot, and just not making plays in critical times of the game.

Can an offseason help that?

Yes, as experience should help players be more confident, but shooters sometimes go through cold spells no matter how experienced they are
HoopDreams
Alkiadt said:

Big C said:

bearchamp said:

Thiemann has the worst hands of any Cal center I have watched. And I have been watching since the early 60's.
catching passing, yes

that used to be true rebounding, but he's improved his rebounding a lot
Big C
HoopDreams said:

Alkiadt said:

Big C said:

bearchamp said:

catching passing, yes

that used to be true rebounding, but he's improved his rebounding a lot

Yeah, he gets stripped or can't hold onto the ball a couple of times a game and I cringe. I'm hoping that improves with repetition and confidence. I'm guardedly optimistic, but some of that optimism is faith-based.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.