Wilner pumping Knowlton for Duke AD opening

7,718 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 71Bear
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Knowlton's military background, AD at top academic university, they play hockey, no need to hire a basketball coach just keep the one you have happy...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/03/11/duke-needs-an-athletic-director-and-the-pac-12-just-might-have-a-candidate-or-two/amp/
helltopay1
link to article????
SFCALBear72
Read the article again.

He's pushing the Furd guy more than he is Knowlton.
Big C

How old is Coach K? The next AD at Duke will probably have to hire his successor, which sounds like a no-win situation (even more so for somebody who hires-by-search-firm).
BearlyCareAnymore
Big C said:

How old is Coach K? The next AD at Duke will probably have to hire his successor, which sounds like a no-win situation (even more so for somebody who hires-by-search-firm).
Let's see. Fox gets 7 more year at Cal. Takes a year off after getting fired. Timing seems right for him to replace K. Does Knowlton even need he search firm at that point?
BearlyCareAnymore
calumnus said:

Knowlton's military background, AD at top academic university, they play hockey, no need to hire a basketball coach just keep the one you have happy...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/03/11/duke-needs-an-athletic-director-and-the-pac-12-just-might-have-a-candidate-or-two/amp/
1. There is no way Duke is bringing in an AD at a school that is last place in basketball even if Knowlton were an awesome candidate for them. The optics make that impossible to sell.

2. I'd refrain from getting excited until Knowlton left, we actually hired someone, and they showed some level of competence a year into the job. To date, when it comes to AD hires Cal needs one more home run to tie Duane Kuiper on the career list.
wifeisafurd
SFCALBear72 said:

Read the article again.

He's pushing the Furd guy more than he is Knowlton.
Furd guy may be Pac 12 commish.
Big C
OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

Let's see. Fox gets 7 more year at Cal. Takes a year off after getting fired. Timing seems right for him to replace K. Does Knowlton even need he search firm at that point?

Anyway, Coach K turned 74 last month. Time flies, eh?
ColoradoBear
Well Sandy is killin it at PSU.
socaliganbear
ColoradoBear said:

What are her big hires?
calumnus
socaliganbear said:

ColoradoBear said:

What are her big hires?

James Franklin in football when she was hired and she just hired Micah Shrewsberry in men's basketball. It is his first HC job so we will see how it goes.
PtownBear1
calumnus said:

socaliganbear said:

ColoradoBear said:

What are her big hires?

James Franklin in football when she was hired and she just hired Micah Shrewsberry in men's basketball. It is his first HC job so we will see how it goes.

Not a popular opinion on this Board, but she had impressive hires while at Cal as well. Cuonzo was probably the first and last time in the history of Cal basketball we hired a coach from another P5 school coming off a tourney run. Dykes was literally the hottest mid major football coach at the time of his hire. Yeah I get that neither ended up panning out to be long term solutions but they were impressive hires. She did her job as far as I'm concerned.
socaliganbear
calumnus said:

socaliganbear said:

ColoradoBear said:

What are her big hires?

She didn't hire JF, the last guy did. Sandy was hired 6 months later.
helltopay1
She was hired at Cal primarily because she was/is a female. East coast gal with no Cal or west coast connections...Affirmative action hire...It's the world we live in...
Big C
helltopay1 said:

She was hired at Cal primarily because she was/is a female. East coast gal with no Cal or west coast connections...Affirmative action hire...It's the world we live in...

And how have all of our white male, non-affirmative-action-hire Athletic Directors done?

(Full disclosure: I am a white male, so please don't accuse me of racism or sexism.)
calumnus
helltopay1 said:

How do Jim Knowlton and Larry Scott fit into your narrative?
HoopDreams
helltopay1 said:

and you know this how?
Big Dog
calumnus said:

not sure Field Hockey counts....(Dook does not play ice hockey)
helltopay1
The chancellor who hired her had a history of affirmative action hires at his previous gig.

Common sense...East coast woman with no strong football or mens basketball experience---no Cal or West coast ties...This does not mean she was/is incompetent.. It simply means she had to start from scratch when she arrived...She had to leap over hurdles just to arrive at ground zero. And, then, she was overshadowed by the next incompetent Chancellor who didn't know the difference between a basketball and. an overgrown grapefruit. Still doesn't know...or care...cal was doomed as soon as he was hired....doubly doomed by his AD hire whose idea of fundraising was to stand in the corner at fundraising events . Williams is who you hire when you do not want a strong AD to oversee the athletic program. Williams even said he did not want the gig...
helltopay1
knowlton and Scott have nothing to do with chancellor Birgeneau and sandy. ...Different chancellors...different Athletic Directors.
helltopay1
medium C: The only box sandy checked was that she was/ a female. If she had strong Cal ties and/or had strong connections with West Coast mens basketball, she would have been a more viable contender. I'm simply saying Chancellor Birgeneau had a history of affirmative action hires at his previous gig, and, he continued the practice here. Nothing more....nothing less.

God knows there is nothing sacred about being a white male...
Full disclosure..I am also a white male...although, in truth, if you go back far enough, we are all a mixed salad..
MLK has the right idea...he advocated meritocracy without regard for race, creed, color or religion. MLK would be cancelled in todays unforgiving identity politics craze. He would be horrified by the race hustlers today and properly so. His inclusive message of meritocracy only has been betrayed by the power-mad race hustlers whose only desires are power and wealth and prestige.
HoopDreams
helltopay1 said:

medium C: The only box sandy checked was that she was/ a female. If she had strong Cal ties and/or had strong connections with West Coast mens basketball, she would have been a more viable contender. I'm simply saying Chancellor Birgeneau had a history of affirmative action hires at his previous gig, and, he continued the practice here. Nothing more....nothing less

So current AD has ties to Cal or west coast college basketball?
helltopay1
No he doesn't. You will have to ask the Chancellor about the thought process.
SFCALBear72
Stanford Jonah said:

socaliganbear said:

calumnus said:

socaliganbear said:

ColoradoBear said:

What are her big hires?

I bet she's blowing lots of money on women's basketball like she did here.

It must have paid off because Cal WBB won the regular season conference championship and made it to the Final Four (2013) during Sandy's final year here.
bearister
SFCALBear72 said:

Stanford Jonah said:

socaliganbear said:

calumnus said:

socaliganbear said:

ColoradoBear said:

What are her big hires?

It must have paid off because Cal WBB won the regular season conference championship and made it to the Final Four (2013) during Sandy's final year here.

Moderators, please move this comment to the Women's Basketball Board.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearGoggles
SFCALBear72 said:

Stanford Jonah said:

socaliganbear said:

calumnus said:

socaliganbear said:

ColoradoBear said:

What are her big hires?

Brilliant strategy. Run the revenue sports into the ground, mismanage the facilities upgrade and fundraising, fail to find a budget solution, fail to take action when your marquee football coach is failing on and off the field, fail to pay football assistants competitively and proactively, and then spend way too much money on a non-revenue sport like womens' basketball that virtually no one at Cal cares about (as compared to other non-revenue sports like Rugby and aquatics). But at least we got a conference championship and final four appearance that virtually no Cal fans followed or are even aware of today. I'm sure that drove a huge spike in donations - wait, never mind. .

Sandy was not a good AD. She struck me as the worst kind of bureaucrat - failing to make tough decisions and unable (or perhaps unwilling to put herself on the line) to navigate the Cal obstacles. I said that at the time and stand by it.
stu
BearGoggles said:

Brilliant strategy. Run the revenue sports into the ground, mismanage the facilities upgrade and fundraising, fail to find a budget solution, fail to take action when your marquee football coach is failing on and off the field, fail to pay football assistants competitively and proactively, and then spend way too much money on a non-revenue sport like womens' basketball that virtually no one at Cal cares about (as compared to other non-revenue sports like Rugby and aquatics). But at least we got a conference championship and final four appearance that virtually no Cal fans followed or are even aware of today.
WBB aveage attendance exceeded 2500 for a couple of years after the FF season and they had two games over 10000. I know that's not enough to pay the bills but it's way above other "non-revenue" sports at Cal.
BearSD
HoopDreams said:

Knowlton's primary qualification seems to have been that he was well-liked at his previous AD job at the Air Force Academy. Other than that, there was nothing in his background or experience to suggest he would be a good fit in the role of athletic director at any large public university in the Pac-12, let alone the fact that the campus culture at Cal could not possibly be more different than the culture at the Air Force Academy or at West Point.
calumnus
BearSD said:

HoopDreams said:

Knowlton's primary qualification seems to have been that he was well-liked at his previous AD job at the Air Force Academy. Other than that, there was nothing in his background or experience to suggest he would be a good fit in the role of athletic director at any large public university in the Pac-12, let alone the fact that the campus culture at Cal could not possibly be more different than the culture at the Air Force Academy or at West Point.

Worse, he was only at Air Force two years. So he is very inexperienced.

The campus culture, the alumni, the problems we face all require knowledge, creativity and vision that he does not possess.
Alkiadt
calumnus said:

BearSD said:

HoopDreams said:

The campus culture, the alumni, the problems we face all require knowledge, creativity and vision that he does not possess.
So who would you suggest possess all that?

BTW, Knowlton was unanimously approved by the search panel that included Justin, as well as Lindsay Gottlieb, and some high profile Cal alumni and athletic donors. I can assure you, Wilcox respects and likes the job Knowlton is doing. He's been the most creative AD Cal has ever had, but I don't think you're paying attention.
helltopay1
To repeat...Sandy was/is an affirmative action hire--she checked two woke boxes..Knowlton was hired because the new Chancellor, though nice and competent in other areas, does not know a basketball/football from a fruit-cake and does not care to. ( sorry to end a sentence with a preposition--the nuns would hammer me for that faux pas).
helltopay1
Alk---I stand corrected with respect to Knowlton. Thank you for the update. I stand corrected and am relieved.
Big C

The only problem I have with Knowlton was the basketball hire. And, truth be told, we weren't in a position to hire somebody who has proved they can win at our level anyway, so the only REAL problem I have is the process he appeared to have used. Unfortunately, that's a decent-sized problem. He could impress me now by making some progress on getting a practice facility.

(To his credit, and also to those donors who have ponied up, he seems to be doing pretty well with football, but then he hasn't had to hire a coach yet.)
calumnus
Alkiadt said:

calumnus said:

BearSD said:

HoopDreams said:

So who would you suggest possess all that?

BTW, Knowlton was unanimously approved by the search panel that included Justin, as well as Lindsay Gottlieb, and some high profile Cal alumni and athletic donors. I can assure you, Wilcox respects and likes the job Knowlton is doing. He's been the most creative AD Cal has ever had, but I don't think you're paying attention.

Well, Knowlton is the opposite of that. Most of the ADs in the country fit that better than he does.

I know you think what you wrote above is a defense of the hire, but it really isn't.

If I were looking for an AD to lead Cal in the 21st Century i would not look for them in the Army, I'd look for people in professional sports management, people with brand and media experience. Someone with business experience, not the military. There are multiple Cal alums to choose from.

I'd also look at AD's that have been innovative and successful in building up their athletic departments in similar situations, but most of them borrow heavily from professional sports, so really, I think that is where we would find the best candidate.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.