Wilner pumping Knowlton for Duke AD opening

7,761 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 71Bear
helltopay1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Romar????Great guy....terrific recruiter..cal could do a lot worse than hiring Lorenzo...
calumnus
BeachedBear said:

HoopDreams said:

socaltownie said:

Why Romar would be a good hire. Yes yes. Run out on a rail from Washington. But those huskie teams that were good were built with California talent.
I always respected Romar. I saw him before a game while I was walking out of the RSF locker room (The visiting teams get to their locker room from the RSF). I exchanged a few brief words with him, and he was exactly how I perceived him to be.

He is a players coach, a top recruiter and a class act

I think he would be a great Cal coach. Just needs to add a Xs and Os Associate Coach to his staff.
The problem I have with Romar and why he wouldn't fit at Cal - is that he often allowed problems to occur on his watch (recruiting violations, inappropriate player behavior, wayward assistants). He may not have been directly involved, but he never quite got the "You're in charge and negligence is not a good enough excuse" message at UCLA, St Louis, UW or UA. These things happen everywhere, including at Cal - but at least the coach needs to own it if it happens on their watch.

But otherwise, a good college coach.

If we were going to hire a retread fired from his last power conference job, Romar would have been far better, though he was just a year into Pepperdine when we hired Fox. His success at UW before petering out was far greater than Fox's at Georgia. He is a former NBA player from LA and has a great, engaging personality. His Pepperdine team played fairly efficient offense so the Xs and Os might be less of a concern than people think.

I think you look for the next Romar. It is amazing that the PAC-12 currently has 12 white male coaches, so yeah the moneyball hire would be a smart young upbeat charismatic African American coach from LA or the Bay Area but is known in LA. That is pretty much why Wyking Jones, another former NBA player from LA (and part time actor in notable films) with experience coaching at Cal, was not a horrible gamble, it was just that if we made that gamble we needed to have a contract more favorable to Cal if it did not work out. I think the added criteria of having at least some head coaching experience to evaluate makes sense. Wyking made too many rookie errors on the job. Having to run guys off the team.....you never want to see that.

71Bear
OaktownBear said:

calumnus said:

Knowlton's military background, AD at top academic university, they play hockey, no need to hire a basketball coach just keep the one you have happy...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/03/11/duke-needs-an-athletic-director-and-the-pac-12-just-might-have-a-candidate-or-two/amp/
1. There is no way Duke is bringing in an AD at a school that is last place in basketball even if Knowlton were an awesome candidate for them. The optics make that impossible to sell.

2. I'd refrain from getting excited until Knowlton left, we actually hired someone, and they showed some level of competence a year into the job. To date, when it comes to AD hires Cal needs one more home run to tie Duane Kuiper on the career list.
Sigh... Another Steve Stone rip job.

Seriously, the only AD at Cal to do anything positive in recent memory was Gladstone (hiring Tedford).

Knowlton was a poor choice. Cal needs a disruptor not a military man.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.