Wilner pumping Knowlton for Duke AD opening

7,808 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 71Bear
Post removed:
by user
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearSD said:

HoopDreams said:

So current AD has ties to Cal or west coast college basketball?
Knowlton's primary qualification seems to have been that he was well-liked at his previous AD job at the Air Force Academy. Other than that, there was nothing in his background or experience to suggest he would be a good fit in the role of athletic director at any large public university in the Pac-12, let alone the fact that the campus culture at Cal could not possibly be more different than the culture at the Air Force Academy or at West Point.
I was not commenting about Knowlton.

I was responding to a post who said Sandy was a diversity hire because she had no ties to Cal or west coast college basketball

my point was Knowlton also had neither, so how can the poster use these criteria as proof that Sandy was a diversity hire

I'm not making any value statement about either AD. Just responding to the logic in a poster's conclusion.
puget sound cal fan
Winning does draw fans.
calbears4ever
Wilcox and Smith aren't bad, and neither is Crosson
BearSD
Stanford Jonah said:

An athletic director that can't pick good coaches isn't worth the gum that gets stuck to your shoes.
That used to be the primary qualification.

Now, it should read: An athletic director who can't raise mountains of money isn't worth the gum that gets stuck to your shoes.
Fyght4Cal
helltopay1 said:

medium C: The only box sandy checked was that she was/ a female. If she had strong Cal ties and/or had strong connections with West Coast mens basketball, she would have been a more viable contender. I'm simply saying Chancellor Birgeneau had a history of affirmative action hires at his previous gig, and, he continued the practice here. Nothing more....nothing less.

God knows there is nothing sacred about being a white male...
Full disclosure..I am also a white male...although, in truth, if you go back far enough, we are all a mixed salad..
MLK has the right idea...he advocated meritocracy without regard for race, creed, color or religion. MLK would be cancelled in todays unforgiving identity politics craze. He would be horrified by the race hustlers today and properly so. His inclusive message of meritocracy only has been betrayed by the power-mad race hustlers whose only desires are power and wealth and prestige.
As this distinguished Berkeley Law professor demonstrates, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. strongly backed affirmative action, both race- and class-based. Moreover, King expressly backed racial numerical quotas. So, please abandon this fallacy, as it is provably false.
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3015018
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Fyght4Cal said:

helltopay1 said:

medium C: The only box sandy checked was that she was/ a female. If she had strong Cal ties and/or had strong connections with West Coast mens basketball, she would have been a more viable contender. I'm simply saying Chancellor Birgeneau had a history of affirmative action hires at his previous gig, and, he continued the practice here. Nothing more....nothing less.

God knows there is nothing sacred about being a white male...
Full disclosure..I am also a white male...although, in truth, if you go back far enough, we are all a mixed salad..
MLK has the right idea...he advocated meritocracy without regard for race, creed, color or religion. MLK would be cancelled in todays unforgiving identity politics craze. He would be horrified by the race hustlers today and properly so. His inclusive message of meritocracy only has been betrayed by the power-mad race hustlers whose only desires are power and wealth and prestige.
As this distinguished Berkeley Law professor demonstrates, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. strongly backed affirmative action, both race- and class-based. Moreover, King expressly backed racial numerical quotas. So, please abandon this fallacy, as it is provably false.
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3015018

Good luck trying to get helltopay1 to change his mind about anything..
helltopay1
Sorry: I used to be a classical liberal. ( not a bat s*** crazy radical lefty) And, I was a classical liberal ( please google) until I was about 38 years old. Then, I switched and became a Reagan Democrat. . How's that for not being able to change my mind????Old political aphorism......If you are under 35 and not a Democrat, there's something wrong with your heart....if you are over 35 and not a Republican there's something wrong with your brain...
helltopay1
Eastern Oregon& Fight 4Cal.....Here's why you really don't believe in affirmative action/quotas/....

You and your entire family have been told that only the very best brain surgeon in the world can save your life...you are loved dearly by your wife, mother, Father, grandparents, your four kids ( two boys..two girls...you still read them bedtime stories every night before you pray with them and tuck them into bed. Your kids and your wife have told you they cannot live without you if you die...as you surely will if Dr. Smith ( the best brain surgeon in the world by far) does not operate on you....You are told ( along with your family) that you can choose Dr. Smith or a young affirmative action brain surgeon . Which Dr, do you and your family choose????Indeed!!!!!!!And, that is why the clamoring for affirmative action/quotas/identity politics is just a naked power grab with no regard for meritocracy, fairness or common sense.

Want more common sense to expose your virtue-signallimg??????

Your young daughter who only has six months to live because of a brain tumor happens to be a very fast runner in her girl age-group.(11-12). She is favored to win in a widely advertised sprint race watched by hundreds of her family and classmates.....then, at the last second, a boy who suddenly feels he really is a girl, decides he wants to enter the race to compete against your daughter...

And, your reaction is????'this is outrageous and bat-s*** crazy and I won't stand for this' or you say, "sorry honey..that's the way it goes....after all...he thinks he is a girl...so... don't sweat it."
and, your response is?????If you opt for the boy, may God have mercy on your pathetic soul. If your daughter shot you, it would be justifiable homicide. no?????
helltopay1
Hoop: Sandy sand Knowlton have nothing to do with each other. Sandy was clearly an affirmative action hire..Knowlton did not have Cal or West Coast ties but he was a unanimous committee choice according to one poster. We don't know if any of the candidates had Cal or West coast ties; but, if they did, Knowlton was still regarded as thge superior choice. He clearly was not an affirmative action choice.

Female AD's have a very high hurdle to cross at the outset. Football and Mens basketball have been traditionally viewed as thge exclusive province of males for reasons too obvious to examine.
There is a natural built-in resentment to any female seen as intruding upon areas historically seen as the exclusive province of males.
It is akin to females ( any female) leading our military forces in to hand-to-hand combat against a ruthless enemy.
Not psychologically tenable although, in theory, plausible under certain circumstances.
It is akin to a straight male being thge judge at a woman's fashion show.
99% of females would hoot at that scenario-----and rightly so..
Birgeneau clearly did not care about either football or mens basketball----he knew he would be long gone once it became clear that his affirmative action hire did not work out----

Cal has been a social lab experiment in just about all ways for the past half-century...Nothing wrong with lab experiments ..as long as they are confined to laboratories..History is full of authorities in one area casually crossing the street into other areas in which they have no known expertise..The results are usually not pretty.
Hence..tghe admonition.....Stay on your side of the street!!!!
HoopDreams
helltopay1 said:

Hoop: Sandy sand Knowlton have nothing to do with each other. Sandy was clearly an affirmative action hire..Knowlton did not have Cal or West Coast ties but he was a unanimous committee choice according to one poster. We don't know if any of the candidates had Cal or West coast ties; but, if they did, Knowlton was still regarded as thge superior choice. He clearly was not an affirmative action choice.

Female AD's have a very high hurdle to cross at the outset. Football and Mens basketball have been traditionally viewed as thge exclusive province of males for reasons too obvious to examine.
There is a natural built-in resentment to any female seen as intruding upon areas historically seen as the exclusive province of males.
It is akin to females ( any female) leading our military forces in to hand-to-hand combat against a ruthless enemy.
Not psychologically tenable although, in theory, plausible under certain circumstances.
Birgeneau clearly did not care about either football or mens basketball----he knew he would be long gone once it became clear that his affirmative action hire did not work out----

Cal has been a social lab experiment in just about all ways for the past half-century...Nothing wrong with lab experiments ..as long as they are confined to laboratories..History is full of authorities in one area casually crossing the street into other areas in which they have no known expertise..The results are usually not pretty.
Dear Hell,
Thanks for the thoughtful post, but sounds sexist to me
helltopay1
Sounds very thoughtful to me..
Eastern Oregon Bear
helltopay1 said:

Eastern Oregon& Fight 4Cal.....Here's why you really don't believe in affirmative action/quotas/....

You and your entire family have been told that only the very best brain surgeon in the world can save your life...you are loved dearly by your wife, mother, Father, grandparents, your four kids ( two boys..two girls...you still read them bedtime stories every night before you pray with them and tuck them into bed. Your kids and your wife have told you they cannot live without you if you die...as you surely will if Dr. Smith ( the best brain surgeon in the world by far) does not operate on you....You are told ( along with your family) that you can choose Dr. Smith or a young affirmative action brain surgeon . Which Dr, do you and your family choose????Indeed!!!!!!!And, that is why the clamoring for affirmative action/quotas/identity politics is just a naked power grab with no regard for meritocracy, fairness or common sense.

Your young daughter who only has six months to live because of a brain tumor happens to be a very fast runner in her girl age-group.(11-12). She is favored to win in a widely advertised sprint race watched by hundreds of her family and classmates.....then, at the last second, a boy who suddenly feels he really is a girl, decides he wants to enter the race to compete against your daughter...

And, your reaction is????'this is outrageous and bat-s*** crazy and I won't stand for this' or you say, "sorry honey..that's the way it goes....after all...he thinks he is a girl...so... don't sweat it."
and, your response is?????If you opt for the boy, may God have mercy on your pathetic soul. If your daughter shot you, it would be justifiable homicide. no?????
Jeez, man. I'm choking on all those words you're trying to shove down my throat. I've never seen such a big pile of straw man arguments in so few sentences. Please, you don't know anything about me, my life and my family. Don't purport to believe you know how I think on any topic, let those relating to the kids I didn't have and never will.

By the way, I don't think I've ever said anything on BI either for or against Sandy Barbour or affirmative action or quotas, so don't drag me into your personal vendettas.

Big C
helltopay1 said:

helltopay1: I wish you hadn't raised this hypothetical. My daughter is 8 and, in fact, fairly fast. Now I am going to be laying awake at night -- for THREE YEARS -- worrying and waiting to see how this plays out. I mean, the brain tumor... okay, these things happen... but the other part! What's the world coming to?!?
Fyght4Cal
I got into Cal because, after Admissions lost my transcript 3 times, an outreach program called me at 4pm on a Friday in April to invite me to bring my transcript to an in-person interview specifically for Black students the very next day. So yes, I got into Cal via an affirmative action program. Grades weren't the issue, paperwork was. Under affirmative action, Cal made an effort to find qualified scholars from unrepresented groups to bring to campus as undergrads, grads, professors, and staff.

But, back to the subject, stop misrepresenting MLK, Jr.
calumnus
sluggo
helltopay1 said:

I feel bad for you because your race-baiting hypothetical does not work. You said that Dr. Smith is the best brain surgeon in the world. An alternative is by definition not the best surgeon in the world. So almost anyone would choose Dr. Smith. But you throw in that the alternative is inexperienced, so for sure Dr. Smith is the one. The affirmative action part is immaterial. I could help you with a better hypothetical, but why would I? I have no idea why the conversation has turned in this direction other than possibly voices in your head.

BearlyCareAnymore
helltopay1 said:

You are told Dr. Smith is the best brain surgeon in the world. Dr. Smith is a Black, transgendered person who identifies as female. You assume the recommendation is based on politics. You get a mediocre White male surgeon with all the right qualifications a mediocre White male from a wealthy family can buy. You die.

By the way since we are talking about brain doctors, you may want to see one.
helltopay1
I just did......And, I referred him to you...Expect a call any minute...
BearlyCareAnymore
helltopay1 said:

You have zero evidence that Sandy was an affirmative action hire other than she is a woman and you have zero evidence that Knowlton was regarded as the superior choice other than he is a White male.

I can tell you right now, you would not last in any management position today. You'd be seen as a colossal liability risk. Why? Because you cannot judge the individual in front of you. You judge based on groups and the perceived performance of individuals who have nothing to do with the person in front of you.

There are plenty of straight men in the fashion industry and no one hoots. Yes, there are more women and gay men who take an interest in fashion. That does not mean that a straight man that takes an interest in fashion can't be the best. For a popular reference at least two winners of Project Runway have been straight men with families. (I know, because I, a straight male, watched every season of Project Runway. Well, until they got rid of Tim and Heidi. Eff them at that point) Believe it or not, but who a person effs is not a qualification for fashion design.

There is not a natural built resentment to women joining traditionally male fields. There is a learned resentment that unfortunately you don't seem to be able to unlearn. Young people today don't give a shyte about it. And resentment from a group of males who haven't had the decency to either get into the modern world or walk out onto the ice floe yet is not a trait that disqualifies the women. It disqualifies the men.

Frankly, if I were a university president at a normal school, and I had to pick from the parade of clowns that have been AD at Cal in my lifetime, after praying that this decision didn't impact my own career because there are no good options there, there would be zero question to me that by far the most competent is Barbour. Now, I didn't like Barbour for Cal because I thought in her understandable desire to bring some level of professionalism to Cal's athletic department, she threw out the baby with the bath water and failed to realize that some things that were uniquely Cal were not obstacles but things to take advantage of. But in terms of running the department, she did a good job and I fail to see how she goes down as an affirmative action hire compared to the complete dreck we have otherwise had at the position. I would point out that she had two major decisions with respect to men's basketball. 1. Hire Monty. 2. Don't hire Cuonzo. She was very right on both counts. Admittedly obvious on 1. On 2, she was overruled and heavily criticized for that decision and I wonder where we would be if the Chancellor had let her do her job.

As a man, I would be happy to be lead into battle or coached by a woman. No problem. The problem in the situation are the men who can't deal with it. Frankly, I have advocated that Cal strongly consider hiring a woman as their men's basketball coach. Not because of affirmative action. Because there are a few excellent women coaches out there that are not going to get a sniff at a men's head coaching job because of their gender and because of asshats like you, and Cal needs to find a coach that others don't want. I can think of no more irrelevant reason for a coach to be passed over than their gender. So if the next Coach K. happens to be a woman, Cal has every opportunity to make that hire where they will not be able to hire an equivalent or frankly far worse male coach.
helltopay1
The voices in my head tell me that Sluggo is pretty sluggish..
helltopay1
1). Sandy was an affirmative action hire
2) You ended a sentence with a preposition
3) although bright, you constantly show your arrogance, presumptions, and youth..
4) I don't know what the common currency is, but, in my day, you would be regarded as a punk...
5) If Dr. Smith were everything you said he was, I would not hesitate to choose him over thge newly-minted affirmative action hire..
6) So---you have experience in the female fashion industry------"What color shoes should I wear with my blue shirt, dear???"
BearlyCareAnymore
helltopay1 said:

1). Sandy was an affirmative action hire
2) You ended a sentence with a preposition
3) although bright, you constantly show your arrogance, presumptions, and youth..
4) I don't know what the common currency is, but, in my day, you would be regarded as a punk...
5) If Dr. Smith were everything you said he was, I would not hesitate to choose him over thge newly-minted affirmative action hire..
6) So---you have experience in the female fashion industry------"What color shoes should I wear with my blue shirt, dear???"

1. No she wasn't
2. That is a thing about which nobody cares.
3. Although massively stupid, you constantly show your prejudice and inability to be remotely in touch with the current world
4. I would be proud to be considered a punk among the racist, sexist, homophobic, non cisgender phobic, religious bigots of your day.
5. If Dr. Smith was everything I said they were, you would never know because you have shown an obvious propensity to judge people as affirmative action hires based on no evidence but their personal traits and your own prejudice.
6. I don't have such experience, but that would depend on the rest of the outfit. By the way, I would be proud if I did have such experience. Your attempts to mock are often funny because the people you attempt to mock are not insulted by your attempts to mock.

By the way for those that doth speaketh and writeth in the ways of the current times or any of the times that have passethed in the past half century:

"It's not an error to end a sentence with a preposition, but it is a little less formal. In emails, text messages, and notes to friends, it's perfectly fine. But if you're writing a research paper or submitting a business proposal and you want to sound very formal, avoid ending sentences with prepositions."

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/youve-been-lied-to-heres-why-you-absolutely-can-end-a-sentence-with-a-preposition/

Or from Merriam-Webster:

Ending a sentence with a preposition such as "with," "of," and "to," is permissible in the English language. There are theories that the false rule originates with the early usage guides of Joshua Poole and John Dryden, who were trying to align the language with Latin, but there is no reason to suggest ending a sentence with a preposition is wrong. Nonetheless, the idea that it is a rule is still held by many.

oskidunker
If Cal hiresa woman basketball coach that turns the program around that would be great. I dont care aslong as they know what they aredoing and can recruit.

How do you think she would be received in hone recruiting. It might be very good. What have we got to lose when we are in last place?
Go Bears!
BearGreg
Staff
If you want to discuss Knowlton or the AD job at Cal, please keep posting. The discussions on politics, affirmative action, etc, take to the OT board or don't post them at all. For those that view every topic as an opportunity to share their values and perceptions outside the topic, please refrain from posting.
HearstMining
oskidunker said:

If Cal hiresa woman basketball coach that turns the program around that would be great. I dont care aslong as they know what they aredoing and can recruit.

How do you think she would be received in hone recruiting. It might be very good. What have we got to lose when we are in last place?
What percentage of recruits come from homes where the only parent in the picture is the mother? A woman basketball coach might do very well under those circumstances.
BearGoggles
puget sound cal fan said:

Winning does draw fans.
To football and mens basketball yes.. Other sports, not so much. Earlier in this thread, someone posted about the heyday of Cal basketball when they averaged . . . .2500 fans.
Fyght4Cal
HearstMining said:

oskidunker said:

What percentage of recruits come from homes where the only parent in the picture is the mother? A woman basketball coach might do very well under those circumstances.
We're probably in a lot less of those homes than the past. Moreover women are always hardest on other women. I'm very curious to see the recruitment prowess of the first female head coach in MCBB.
socaltownie
helltopay1 said:

<SNIP>
Deleted to respect Greg's request to keep politics and sports as separate as Mark Fox is from a NCAA invite ;-)
socaltownie
BearGreg said:

If you want to discuss Knowlton or the AD job at Cal, please keep posting. The discussions on politics, affirmative action, etc, take to the OT board or don't post them at all. For those that view every topic as an opportunity to share their values and perceptions outside the topic, please refrain from posting.
Sorry Greg. Missed your admonition. I will remove my post above.
socaltownie
OaktownBear said:

As a man, I would be happy to be lead into battle or coached by a woman. No problem. The problem in the situation are the men who can't deal with it. Frankly, I have advocated that Cal strongly consider hiring a woman as their men's basketball coach. Not because of affirmative action. Because there are a few excellent women coaches out there that are not going to get a sniff at a men's head coaching job because of their gender and because of asshats like you, and Cal needs to find a coach that others don't want. I can think of no more irrelevant reason for a coach to be passed over than their gender. So if the next Coach K. happens to be a woman, Cal has every opportunity to make that hire where they will not be able to hire an equivalent or frankly far worse male coach.
It is an interesting argument. For me the hire is to finally hire a coach (and I think he has to be African American but I could be surprised) with deep roots into the CA AAU scene. Cal's success hinges (has ALWAYS hinged since at least Camp) on securing commitments from the elite bay area kids (Kidd, Powe) and augmenting them with 4* LA talent. Cal is a world-class research institution with worldwide appeal for grad school and to an extent general undergrad. But for sports it is a CALIFORNIA STATE SCHOOL. This is the failure of the Fox hire (and the smarts of the Wilcox and, dare I say, Tedford hire). Guys that could recruit well IN STATE.

Why Romar would be a good hire. Yes yes. Run out on a rail from Washington. But those huskie teams that were good were built with California talent. The Kicker could be good as well since he recruited SoCal for Zona (and apparently had some excellent skils at delivering starbucks cups ;-) I think that Russel at UCI could be worth an interview. But we keep trying to think that guys that have minimal ties to California can make this work (Sonny, Fox). A few (Braun) can but generally speaking California is a pretty unique place compared to the rest of the country and you better be able to navigate it. What works in Athens isn't flying (for the most part) in Inglewood.
BeachedBear
socaltownie said:

Why Romar would be a good hire. Yes yes. Run out on a rail from Washington. But those huskie teams that were good were built with California talent. The Kicker could be good as well since he recruited SoCal for Zona (and apparently had some excellent skils at delivering starbucks cups ;-) I think that Russel at UCI could be worth an interview. But we keep trying to think that guys that have minimal ties to California can make this work (Sonny, Fox). A few (Braun) can but generally speaking California is a pretty unique place compared to the rest of the country and you better be able to navigate it. What works in Athens isn't flying (for the most part) in Inglewood.

Excellent point. And I think Braun was a bay area guy at heart. He truly adopted the area and has pretty much remained since. Not sure, but I think he kept his house in East Bay, even when he coached at Rice for a few years.
socaltownie
BeachedBear said:

socaltownie said:

Excellent point. And I think Braun was a bay area guy at heart. He truly adopted the area and has pretty much remained since. Not sure, but I think he kept his house in East Bay, even when he coached at Rice for a few years.
Agreed. Ben "got it" faster than a lot of people. One thing I didn't know about Ben was that his dad was a pretty big producer in Hollywood. Grew up in Chicago but at least he knew not to call it Cali and probably could figure out that you never want to drive the 405 in the afternoon ;-)
HoopDreams
socaltownie said:

Why Romar would be a good hire. Yes yes. Run out on a rail from Washington. But those huskie teams that were good were built with California talent.
I always respected Romar. I saw him before a game while I was walking out of the RSF locker room (The visiting teams get to their locker room from the RSF). I exchanged a few brief words with him, and he was exactly how I perceived him to be.

He is a players coach, a top recruiter and a class act

I think he would be a great Cal coach. Just needs to add a Xs and Os Associate Coach to his staff.
BeachedBear
HoopDreams said:

socaltownie said:

Why Romar would be a good hire. Yes yes. Run out on a rail from Washington. But those huskie teams that were good were built with California talent.
I always respected Romar. I saw him before a game while I was walking out of the RSF locker room (The visiting teams get to their locker room from the RSF). I exchanged a few brief words with him, and he was exactly how I perceived him to be.

He is a players coach, a top recruiter and a class act

I think he would be a great Cal coach. Just needs to add a Xs and Os Associate Coach to his staff.
The problem I have with Romar and why he wouldn't fit at Cal - is that he often allowed problems to occur on his watch (recruiting violations, inappropriate player behavior, wayward assistants). He may not have been directly involved, but he never quite got the "You're in charge and negligence is not a good enough excuse" message at UCLA, St Louis, UW or UA. These things happen everywhere, including at Cal - but at least the coach needs to own it if it happens on their watch.

But otherwise, a good college coach.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.