Sean Miller out at Arizona

3,648 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by joe amos yaks
MiZery
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow!
sonofabear51
About time!!
philbert
2 or 3 years too late, but better late than never.
bearister
Do you think he would be willing to bring his cheating' ways to Cal and get us up to a mid league finish? I would be willing to wire transfer a few simoleons.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
wifeisafurd
Query:

1) who takes his place?

2) what type of penalties/sanctions they absorb since with Miller leaving, it will all come out?

3) what this does to the recruiting landscape?

Unfortunately, on number 3 I don't think this impacts Cal one way or the other, as UoA and Cal swim in different recruiting waters.
bearister
"1.who takes his place?"

Wyking...or an AI powered hologram of Lute.

Sources - Arizona Wildcats fire coach Sean Miller

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31209814/sources-arizona-wildcats-fire-coach-sean-miller
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
ncbears
Well, Miller's biggest sin was ... not winning as much.
18-19 record of 17-15 (8th)
19-20 record of 21-11 but 10-8 in conference (5th)
20-21 record of 17-9 but 11-9 in conference (5th) (way to schedule non-conference)

While we would have taken those results at Cal - those are not what Miller was being paid to accomplish.
BigDaddy
wifeisafurd said:

Query:

1) who takes his place?

Names I've heard include Gonzaga asst. Tommy Lloyd, Arkansas HC Eric Musselman, Arizona asst. Jason Terry, Pacific HC Damon Stoudamire, and Georgia Tech HC Josh Pastner
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
tsubamoto2001
He'd be an upgrade from Mark Faux. Sure, it's not saying much, but still.
stu
wifeisafurd said:

Query:

1) who takes his place?

Mark Fox is known to run a clean program and to be the sharpest dresser in the conference. But can Shocky buy out both the Miller and Fox contracts?

concordtom
stu said:

wifeisafurd said:

Query:

1) who takes his place?

Mark Fox is known to run a clean program and to be the sharpest dresser in the conference. But can Shocky buy out both the Miller and Fox contracts?

I'd say Shocky is small potatoes, or rather, small dollars.
concordtom
philbert said:

2 or 3 years too late, but better late than never.
The investigation began 4 years ago.
He's surely been cheating his entire time there, which I think is 12 years. So, 12 years too late.
concordtom
bearister said:

"1.who takes his place?"

Wait for it............
.................... his assistant will be interim head coach.

They need to keep someone who knows where the bank accounts are at.
MilleniaBear
I hope they get the death penalty. They knew years ago he was cheating and gave him that contract where they couldn't even fire him for cause without paying him. And thats what he and his lawyer reminded him at the regents meeting. So they knowingly employed a cheater for two more years. Total lack of institutional control.
calumnus
MilleniaBear said:

I hope they get the death penalty. They knew years ago he was cheating and gave him that contract where they couldn't even fire him for cause without paying him. And thats what he and his lawyer reminded him at the regents meeting. So they knowingly employed a cheater for two more years. Total lack of institutional control.

I am assured by an authority on this board that they were completely clean up until the moment Pasternak left to take the UCSB job.
Bearly Clad
I want to be clear, I am NOT defending Sean Miller here but it's embarrassing the way UofA and the other schools caught up in this current scandal have handled the situation. First look at the disparity between two coaches who were implicated in the allegations Then remember that when this was all just coming out a couple years ago Arizona stood by Miller and opted instead to fire their head football coach Rich Rodriguez for supposed leadership failures. In reality at the time they were happy with the success Miller brought to the basketball program and clearly weren't concerned how it happened; they were less excited about their middling football team even though Rich Rod was averaging over 7 wins per year and had been to 5 bowl games in 6 years. So instead of dealing with their cesspool of a basketball program Arizona tried to distract attention by firing their football coach with this statement:

' "After conducting a thorough evaluation of our football program and its leadership, both on and off the field, President [Robert] Robbins and I feel it is in the best interest of the University of Arizona and our athletics department to go in a new direction," athletic director Dave Heeke said in a release. '

The real kicker? They threatened to try and withhold the $6.25 million left on his contract on the grounds that he'd broken some morality clause in their by having an affair even though the woman wasn't affiliated with the school or a student like in that whole Petrino situation. And I'm not advocating cheating on your significant other, but that's a 'live and let live' kind of deal; nothing like Les Miles at LSU.

Basically if there's a greater Karmic force in the universe the Wildcats really deserve the basketball equivalent of their Kevin Sumlin hire for football
calumnus
They need to hire a guy who has been telling the world for years that he runs a clean program. They need to hire Mark Fox.
Big C
Bearly Clad said:

I want to be clear, I am NOT defending Sean Miller here but it's embarrassing the way UofA and the other schools caught up in this current scandal have handled the situation. First look at the disparity between two coaches who were implicated in the allegations Then remember that when this was all just coming out a couple years ago Arizona stood by Miller and opted instead to fire their head football coach Rich Rodriguez for supposed leadership failures. In reality at the time they were happy with the success Miller brought to the basketball program and clearly weren't concerned how it happened; they were less excited about their middling football team even though Rich Rod was averaging over 7 wins per year and had been to 5 bowl games in 6 years. So instead of dealing with their cesspool of a basketball program Arizona tried to distract attention by firing their football coach with this statement:

' "After conducting a thorough evaluation of our football program and its leadership, both on and off the field, President [Robert] Robbins and I feel it is in the best interest of the University of Arizona and our athletics department to go in a new direction," athletic director Dave Heeke said in a release. '

The real kicker? They threatened to try and withhold the $6.25 million left on his contract on the grounds that he'd broken some morality clause in their by having an affair even though the woman wasn't affiliated with the school or a student like in that whole Petrino situation. And I'm not advocating cheating on your significant other, but that's a 'live and let live' kind of deal; nothing like Les Miles at LSU.

Basically if there's a greater Karmic force in the universe the Wildcats really deserve the basketball equivalent of their Kevin Sumlin hire for football

"The real kicker?"

We see what you did there!
BearoutEast67
The long arm of the law finally reached out and nabbed him!
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
socaliganbear
Lot of smoke about Mark Fox to Arizona in some capacity. Crazy, but wouldn't be shocked. That's a lot of experience in one guy.
sluggo
socaliganbear said:

Lot of smoke about Mark Fox to Arizona in some capacity. Crazy, but wouldn't be shocked. That's a lot of experience in one guy.
In some capacity? Like on vacation?
oskidunker
Bad Cop.
Go Bears!
SFCityBear
MilleniaBear said:

The death penalty? At first thought, that seems really harsh. I can't stand Miller, and I really can't stand cheating related to recruiting, but on second thought, I think you may have something here. One or two executions might just put enough fear into coaches and the slimy agents to put an end to the age-old practice of bribery in college recruiting.

And maybe put Cal on a more equal footing with opposing programs when it come to landing the better prospects. I like that better than trying to hire a coach willing to skirt today's rules, risk getting caught, and Cal going on probation again.

"Off with their heads!" - The Queen of Hearts in Alice in Wonderland
SFCityBear
SFCityBear
I had benefit of a little insight, maybe trivial, into Miller's character when he first got hired by Arizona after coaching several years at Xavier. I have a close friend who was a graduate of Xavier and big fan of their basketball program, and he told me a story about Miller's farewell speech to his players and assistants, along with Xavier's faculty, priests and nuns, supporters and fans. Miller barely mentioned his players, assistants, and never thanked anyone for the opportunity to coach at Xavier. What he mostly did was talk about himself and the fact that he would now be going to a power conference and it would finally be a chance for him to win a national championship which was his lifelong dream.

My friend also said that Miller sought the advice of John Calipari as to whether he should take the Arizona job. Calipari, who has had his own troubles with the NCAA, told Miller Arizona would be an ideal school to coach for, and give him that chance at the national title.

My friend also told me of the relationship between Miller and Mark Lyons. He recruited Lyons to play fpoint guard for him at Xavier, but made Miller play the shooting guard, as Tu Holloway was the better point guard. Lyons played the two guard behind Holloway for 3 years, and all the while, scouts were telling him the best chance he had to play in the NBA would be as a point guard, but Miller never would give him that chance. When Miller got the Arizona job, he called Lyons and convinced him to transfer to Arizona, where Miller told him he could play point guard. Lyons transferred, and somehow did not have to sit out a year before he could play for the Cats. Unfortunately for Lyons, Nick Johnson was a good point guard and Lyons played mostly shooting guard, along with some point guard, but not enough to get Lyons the exposure he wanted. He went undrafted, and has had a successful career playing overseas since then. Lyons is a scorer, not a point guard, and Miller should have been honest with him, IMO.
SFCityBear
dimitrig

Watch them hire Mark Fox and win an NCAA Title with him as coach!

calumnus
dimitrig said:

I dare them!
socaliganbear
dimitrig said:

People are saying...
PtownBear1
calumnus said:

They need to hire a guy who has been telling the world for years that he runs a clean program. They need to hire Mark Fox.

Lol. Hiring Fox is basically a self imposed sanction and post season ban which AZ needs...
59bear
BigDaddy said:

wifeisafurd said:

Query:

1) who takes his place?

Names I've heard include Gonzaga asst. Tommy Lloyd, Arkansas HC Eric Musselman, Arizona asst. Jason Terry, Pacific HC Damon Stoudamire, and Georgia Tech HC Josh Pastner
Tommy Lloyd is going to pop up a lot in the coming days as jobs are being filled but I don't see AZ being a likely landing spot for an assistant no matter his rep as a recruiter, largely in international waters in Lloyd's case. They'll go for an established HC or NBA assistant, not necessarily one with a tie to the Olson era.
BC Calfan
Just curious as Cal fans, whom do you want AZ to hire as a coach? Do you want them to get a rock star that puts them right back at the top of conference rankings? Or a rising assistant/alum that is unproven but has promise?

I'm on the fence. They've beat up on people for years so I wouldn't mind seeing them struggle a little bit. And, I think they have the worst fans in the conference that could use a dose of humility. But, I guess having a strong AZ program is good for the conference and hence good for us.

What say you?
oskidunker
Someone who will hire the father of a five star player as an assistant coach.See USC.
Go Bears!
philbert
I'd like to see Cal solve its own HC problems before worrying about what other teams do.
BearlyCareAnymore
SFCityBear said:

MilleniaBear said:

The death penalty? At first thought, that seems really harsh. I can't stand Miller, and I really can't stand cheating related to recruiting, but on second thought, I think you may have something here. One or two executions might just put enough fear into coaches and the slimy agents to put an end to the age-old practice of bribery in college recruiting.

And maybe put Cal on a more equal footing with opposing programs when it come to landing the better prospects. I like that better than trying to hire a coach willing to skirt today's rules, risk getting caught, and Cal going on probation again.

"Off with their heads!" - The Queen of Hearts in Alice in Wonderland

You are under the false assumption that the NCAA wants a fair amateur product instead of what the NCAA thinks makes the most money for the NCAA. The NCAA as an enforcement body has a massive conflict of interest. That is why North Carolina gets nothing and Cal Tech gets sanctioned.

They could have done what you say anytime in the past 60 years. The do want to send a message. That message is keep it up. They can't change the rules but they can sure as hell make it clear they won't enforce them
socaliganbear
Wilner knows it's simple. Hire Mussleman, and Arizona is back. https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/04/08/its-simple-arizona-open-the-vault-pay-eric-musselman-whatever-it-takes-and-rekindle-the-pac-12s-glory-years/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
joe amos yaks
It's been two days.
Is uA xCoach Miller still fired?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.